It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Guide to Data Confidentiality - A MUST READ

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by badfish420

It's a samsung galaxy 10.1, australian version with nothing done to it, (wouldn't know how too change it) :-)

When I read through the vpn you suggested, it's requirements would of used up all my ram. I'm an absolute noob when it comes to anything like this and I appreciate your time. I have always had a too laid back attitude when it comes to online security... But having a mortgage and family now, definately think it's the right time to learn and keep our banking details safe!
edit on 23-1-2012 by woodnut86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

now got a vpn on my laptop...

but i can't view michael rivero's videos on justintv now!

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by whisperindave

Excellent overview! I have one question: The "shredder" Does this mean if someone tries to access the computer and does not have the password that it will immediately shred all hard-drive data? You say you wrote a shell script. Perhaps you can enlighten us on how to do this ourselves? Meanwhile thanks for the wonderful explanation of anonymity and security! This will be priceless in the coming years (should we all survive 2012) when the govt. tries again and again to track us and hack us! Viva La Revolucion!

A shredder just overwrites anything you want to delete (and ideally free hardrive space occasionally) in a non-recoverable way. It's like taking trash to the dump rather then stuffing it underneath your bed.The shell script is just a little .bat, I'd be glad to make it public or send it to you if you're interested. You just have to remember to be on your toes.

When I read through the vpn you suggested, it's requirements would of used up all my ram. I'm an absolute noob when it comes to anything like this and I appreciate your time. I have always had a too laid back attitude when it comes to online security... But having a mortgage and family now, definately think it's the right time to learn and keep our banking details safe!

I'm not sure where you found those requirements as I was unable to find anything but the below text. Did you attempt to install and run it? I've had it going on some pretty weak machines without any performance issues. If you can't get this one going we can get you using something else. This is what they say on their website:

Are there any minimum system requirements I should take into account?
Normally, no. If you have a Windows operating system installed on your computer, you don't have to meet any additional requirements. You don't need additional special software solutions, unusual hardware components and you don't have to make any complicated settings. CyberGhost VPN is installed almost automatically and, after creating an account and connecting, you can already use these services.

now got a vpn on my laptop...

but i can't view michael rivero's videos on justintv now!

This is a common issue, and it regularly means you just need to connect to a server in a different country. I've found in some countries the internet is censored, and since you're connecting through servers in those countries you're stuck with what they've got for internet. Switch your preferences between "most secure" and "fastest" to swap in between servers.

Also, you may want to consider when you want the VPN on and when you don't. If you're viewing anything you don't want other people to know about then turn it on, if you're watching youtube videos about Starcraft 2 you should remember to go ahead and flip it off for both performance issues and the monthly bandwidth limitations. Just remember, anytime you want to securely browse the internet pop it on.

Thanks for all the kind words and comments!
edit on 24-1-2012 by badfish420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
BadFish, I offer you an emphatic "THANK YOU!" for this information. And I'm sure this is going to become a very popular thread any second now! :-) Do you by chance have an eBook or PDF of this info? I don't have time right now to read thru all suggestions (much less configure them!) and am going to be on the go for the next few days. If you don't have an eBook/PDF (and I did scan over to see if a portable version was mentioned but forgive me if I missed it!) I think it'd be a great idea (especially should your info be removed at some point by TPTB who don't want anonymity from users, and asking a couple bucks for it would be very reasonable as well (obviously it's posted here for free but putting the time into compiling it and publishing it is certainly well worth asking a bit in return IMO!).

In the meantime going to try saving the web page and hopefully can get some time as soon as things calm down!
Thanks again - truly fantastic of you to share your knowledge in this hot topic area!!! :-)
Newt (NOT Gingrich!)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the such kind comment!

If you liked this one look forward to the next one! We'll be covering steganography (hiding encrypted files inside of other files), LAN security, firewalls, and intrusion detection. I used to write tutorials for a "security forum" when I was 14-17 and I only recently realized how much I loved writing.

I wrote it in word, I'm sure I can get you a .PDF link. Give me a few minutes!

EDIT: Here is a link to the .pdf version of this tutorial

edit on 26-1-2012 by badfish420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Neo: I know Jiu-Jitsu
Tank: Hey Mikey I think he likes it....You want some more?
Neo: HELL YEAH!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Cool Thread S&F

I wanted to ad this link to a blog I read that has some useful information regarding this topic.

r3zn8d.wordpress.com...

serpentsembrace.wordpress.com...
edit on 1-2-2012 by MathiasAndrew because: add link

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

excellent post, bravo!

and thanks for linking my article =)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
OUTSTANDING THREAD! It's great to see an effort like this put out to help others become safe, anonymous and educated when dealing with data confidentiality in all aspects of computing.

S&F

edit on 13-2-2012 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I want to thank you all for your kind and encouraging comments. The outstanding support has encouraged me to start writing again, I'm working on my first book. I've always loved writing and I'm blessed to have such a supportive audience.

Thanks guys

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

What about the Tor project?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join