It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sopa plans set to be shelved as Obama comes out against piracy legislation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Sopa plans set to be shelved as Obama comes out against piracy legislation

www.guardian.co.uk

Congressional leaders are preparing to shelve controversial legislation aimed at tackling online piracy after president Barack Obama said he would not support it.

California congressman Darrell Issa, an opponent of Sopa, the Stop Online Piracy Act, said he had been told by House majority leader Eric Cantor that there would be no vote unless there is consensus on the bill.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Obama Says So Long SOPA, Killing Controversial Internet Piracy Legislation
edit on 19-1-2012 by Resentedhalo08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Does this now mean the end of the SOPA/PIPA legislation? President Obama has now entered the fray and voiced his opinions on such a bill. Is this a genuine move by President Obama? or is it just a popularity/public relations move?

We can only wait and see to see if the SOPA/PIPA plans are shelved, so far it's looking good.

The people have spoken and the waves are starting to be felt in washington and hopefully all of this get's scrapped.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Its not as if he has the final say anyway so i doubt this will change the inevitable outcome.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
The whole things a red herring. The amount of attention this is generating is by design. Google, Wikipedia all in on it and everything. It's set up to create all this opposition, then Lord Obie comes in to save the day and veto it, looking like some sort of populist hero. Psht. Pretty convenient as we begin the election cycle and also it takes attention away from the fact that he signed NDAA.

There will be cyber legislation, and it will suck, but its not this.

Praise Savior Obrahmsa!
edit on 19-1-2012 by bacci0909 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
What's this then?

Washington, D.C. — House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) today said that he expects the Committee to continue its markup of the Stop Online Piracy Act in February.

judiciary.house.gov...

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
IMO it's more of a publicity thing, President Obama is saying "look, I agree with you", even if he doesn't.

Hopefully this will attract more attention from other people who oppose it, together we can stop this... it will take a huge uprising from the people to say "NO!!!".

If it goes through however, I can see huge problems ahead, people are not going to sit back in the supposedly free world and have our freedom of speech and expression taken away on the internet,

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
He said he wouldn't sign the NDAA bill either. I don't trust known liars.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
He said he wouldn't sign the NDAA bill either. I don't trust known liars.
Yeah, that's not good.

Don't we already have anti-piracy legislation known as DMCA?

What this new bill SOPA would do is remove due process from the existing piracy legislation, as I understand it, is that right?

If they need to shore up DMCA somehow (and I'm not sure that's even necessary), it needs to be done in a way that preserved due process.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
From what I've read they are merely putting SOPA on the back burner till next month, at which point the large majority of people who took part in the blackouts on the 18th will have likely completely forgotten about the bill. Chances are pretty good that once everyone has forgotten about it thanks to our collective short term memory issues it will breeze through Congress to be signed by Obama. Make no mistake about it folks there is ALOT more money from the entertainment industry pouring into supporting SOPA and PIPA than there are vocal protesters taking part in opposing it.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Nor do I, but with Obama voicing his concerns publicly this should give even more publicity and support for scrapping this legislation.

We are the people, the real power... don't let those who are in government forget that! Ever!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Resentedhalo08

I'm with you on this one. Smells like a re-election ploy to me, too. I also share the same feeling on whats going to happen when another similar bill gets pushed (probably being as hushed as possible) in the future. The internet has become a sort of "last sanctuary". And everyone, even those who support SOPA, will feel the pain when it becomes regulated and essentially destroyed..

I'm beginning to think SOPA was a ploy in and of itself. A test, if you will. To see if the people would not only notice, but cry out in protest. I suspect that if none of us had whined (at least a sufficient number of us), That the SOPA bill would have passed and TPTB would know that it's time to launch a full, more brutal attack on the internet in the open. Now that the SOPA bill has gotten the uproar is has, TPTB know they must pass their bills with as much secrecy as is possible, and over a much longer period of time. A kind of "Frog in the boiling pot" kind of effect.. Just a suspicion I have. We will see..
edit on 19-1-2012 by Inquisitive1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Inquisitive1

I totally agree with you, my opinion is they will scrap the SOPA/PIPA legislation and then there will be a short lived celebration and then they will most likely organise a few cyber attacks, blaiming it on Anonymous or against wide scale online piracy infringements. They'll have a public debate, "something must be done".

Meanwhile they will keep trying to extradite, Richard O'Dwyer, over supposed infringements... whom I made a thread about HERE

New legislation will be drawn up and like you said, over a period of time and in secret.

People need to stand up and all say no, we will NOT accept a closed internet, what is great about the internet is the freedom of ideas and opinions.
edit on 19-1-2012 by Resentedhalo08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Doesn't matter. Sopa was is the distraction to pass PIPA.
PIPA will be passed here in 6 or 7 days when they ram it through as Harry Reid cheers on.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
This article was from three days ago when the House announced that SOPA would be shelved. Since then, it's sponsor, Lamar Smith has announced that SOPA would be brought up again in February.

As member N3k9Ni so eloquently put it on another ATS Thread:

"Is it dead?" *Pokes it with a stick*

No it's moving. As is PIPA.

Since this article, the Motion Picture Association of American under CEO and former Sen. Chris Dodd, has commenced thowing a most undignified hissy fit

SOPA lives—and MPAA calls protests an "abuse of power"

Here

In the last 24 hours, during and following yesterdays blackouts, several members of Congress have, however, withdrawn their support

More politicians have retracted their support of either or both the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA) since Rep. Ben Quayle (R-AZ) and Rep. Lee Terry (R-NB), two co-sponsors of SOPA,did so yesterday and today.

Senators Roy Blunt (R-MO) and Jerry Moran (R-KS), also cosponsors of PIPA, tweeted their withdrawals today as well. Additionally Senators Jeff Markey (D-OR) and Allen West (R-FL) also withdrew support. Not to be outdone, Representatives Keith Ellison (D-MN) and Mike Honda (D-CA) blacked out their websites in support.

here

It should also be noted that Skepticoverlord met with Rep. Ben Quayle in representing the opinions of SOPA coming from ATS and Quayle has withdrawn his support, according to reports.

If you poke this thing with a stick though...it's still moving. SOPA and PIPA, in Congress, are proving to have a very short shelf life and keep finding their way back to our table.
edit on 19-1-2012 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by bacci0909
The whole things a red herring. The amount of attention this is generating is by design. Google, Wikipedia all in on it and everything. It's set up to create all this opposition, then Lord Obie comes in to save the day and veto it, looking like some sort of populist hero. Psht. Pretty convenient as we begin the election cycle and also it takes attention away from the fact that he signed NDAA.

There will be cyber legislation, and it will suck, but its not this.

Praise Savior Obrahmsa!

Indeed! Well articulated argument!

IRM

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Obama is in full campaign mode, once he saw how SOPA was going to play out he said that he was not in favor of this but it was Obama's who floated this thing out there in the first place. His head of the FCC has openly stated that he wants a kill switch and to control content. Make no mistake this is something all politicians want. The internet looks like a bigger opportunity than gambling which the government has no business offering to its citizens!

new topics

top topics

join