It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Begin Sex Ed in Kindergarten, Says New ‘National Standards’ Report

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

(CNSNews.com) – By the time they leave elementary school, children should be able to “define sexual orientation,” and by the eighth grade be able to “define emergency contraception and its use,” according to a report containing controversial new recommendations for sex education in U.S. public schools.

BUT, the the first paragraph right away says:

"define sexual orientation"

not "sex ed" !!

and the second paragraph refers to "comprehensive sexuality education" !!

Still no "sex ed"

“Ideally, comprehensive sexuality education should start in kindergarten and continue through 12th grade,” says the “National Sexuality Education Standards” report, drawn up by a range of advocates, academics and public education officials.

Here is one answer to the misleading headline:

An advisory committee includes senior officials from Planned Parenthood and the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN).

They don't seem to elaborate on:
define emergency contraception and its use
???

Begin Sex Ed in Kindergarten, Says New ‘National Standards’ Report

Is This some kind of Liberal agenda?

Is THIS what Most Americans REALLY Want for their Kids?

Thanks just the same, BUT, No Thanks

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I don't believe that kids are ready for that kind of curriculum in kindergarten. I certainly wouldn't want anyone telling my boys about the birds and the bees at that age...

I think parents need to take more responsibility. My four year has asked me some questions about 'where babies come from'... and I told him that they grow in the mommy's belly and then the doctor takes them out, and that was good enough for him. I don't think it needs to go much father than that at that age.
edit on 18-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Your avatar said everything the Fox want in the chicken. Coop

Kindergarten. Children have a hard time understanding how to take turns let alone the complexity of human sexuaity

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It is just not going to help them to know these ways.

It is just going to make kids be victims of early puberty and it's consequences.

It is continuation of WARS on mind and I don't know where it ends.

+15 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
What they really need to start in Kindergarden (all the way to college) is "Financial security ED"

Sex is a natural instinct that they'll figure out eventually.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]I don't believe that kids are ready for that kind of curriculum in kindergarten. I certainly wouldn't want anyone telling my boys about the birds and the bees at that age...

Well, Kids are told about "Birds and Bees" and not about Sex. By telling them "Oh, the storch brings the children", "Birds and Bees" and other lies, it's no wonder we have so many teenagers aged 12-15 running around as mothers, because they were never told, they were never educated and found it out the hard way, because the parents though "uuuh but children are innocent, leave them innocent, don't tell them nasty things"...and than every education already is way, way too late.
I think it's a good idea to teach children about it. I mean children are curious and the so called "playing doctor" starts around 5-6 years of age usually.

And finally: We should arrive in the 21st Century and all people should finally realise that Sex and having Children is part of our live. Sex isn't something evil, it's not from the devil and talking about it shouldn't be a taboo. Just because most americans are prude and most religious folks are prude, doesn't mean that Nature starts it's normal way by kickstarting sexual interests (Freud said a few interesting things about how children discover sex and their sexuality) and later puberty.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn

I think parents need to take more responsibility. My four year has asked me some questions about 'where babies come from'... and I told him that they grow in the mommy's belly and then the doctor takes them out, and that was good enough for him. I don't think it needs to go much father than that at that age.

[color=cyan]***

Absolutely !

THIS is the job of the Parents .... NOBODY Else !

edit on Jan-18-2012 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glargod
What they really need to start in Kindergarden (all the way to college) is "Financial security ED"

Sex is a natural instinct that they'll figure out eventually.

[color=cyan]***

Bingo !!

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I've been a long time parent's responsibility advocate but am beginning to change my mind the longer I am a parent. Not because of how I parent, but because of the way others do.

Personally, you'd really have to look at the specific curriculum to know exactly what lessons they had planned but I can tell you that most kids catch this stuff at a relatively young age from social and entertainment media already.

Hell, currently my 5th grade son is taking his sex ed classes and they have a section on AIDS and HIV. They tell them they can catch it from unprotected sex and drug use. No specifics though. Why would they give them information on unprotected sex when that information was not covered and protected sex is not even defined.

We are very open and honest about sex in my house from a fairly young age, and we answer any and all questions honestly. This is, sadly, not true in many houses and kids are learning from other sources and their peers about these things anyway.

Peace
KJ

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The source isn't exactly trustworthy.
Plus why does the heading say 'kindergarten' and the text say 'elementary'?
I'm not familiar with the US educational system but here in the UK there is a world of difference between elementary and kindergarten.
edit on 18-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Well, Kids are told about "Birds and Bees" and not about Sex. By telling them "Oh, the storch brings the children", "Birds and Bees" and other lies, it's no wonder we have so many teenagers aged 12-15 running around as mothers, because they were never told, they were never educated and found it out the hard way, because the parents though "uuuh but children are innocent, leave them innocent, don't tell them nasty things"...and than every education already is way, way too late.

Where were the Parents ???

Any adult who thinks anybody aged 12-15 still thinks a stork brings the babies needs to see a psychiatrist.

When somebody "finds out the hardway", WHO taught the "Other Party" - did they learn the "easy way" ?

The Majority of Americans Don't Need Anybody Else Contaminating Their Kids !

edit on Jan-18-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Absolutely !

What happens when the parents don't do their job?

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
The source isn't exactly trustworthy.
Plus why does the heading say 'kindergarten' and the text say 'elementary'?
I'm not familiar with the US educational system but here in the UK there is a world of difference between elementary and kindergarten.
edit on 18-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

Good observation

The article is a biased liberal agenda.

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
You need to look over the actual standards instead of taking "cnsnews" word for it...

National Sexuality Education Standards - PDF

The only thing they suggest teaching THROUGH the 2nd grade are:
- the proper names of body parts
- differences between boys and girls
- all living things reproduce
- identify different kinds of family structures
- my body is mine and no one has a right to it
- bullying and teasing are wrong

I wouldn't have any problem with my kindergartener knowing all of that. Of course, they would already know that by the time they entered school.

I see nothing wrong with this curriculum. Yes, parents should be teaching their children these things, but when parents fail, the schools step in. Somebody has to educate our kids.

I have no love for today's public education system, but when they're doing something right, I am going to stand up for them.

edit on 1/18/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

Originally posted by xuenchen

Absolutely !

What happens when the parents don't do their job?

The same thing as when the "teachers" don't do their jobs.

Take your choice.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Well, Kids are told about "Birds and Bees" and not about Sex. By telling them "Oh, the storch brings the children", "Birds and Bees" and other lies, it's no wonder we have so many teenagers aged 12-15 running around as mothers, because they were never told, they were never educated and found it out the hard way, because the parents though "uuuh but children are innocent, leave them innocent, don't tell them nasty things"...and than every education already is way, way too late. I think it's a good idea to teach children about it. I mean children are curious and the so called "playing doctor" starts around 5-6 years of age usually.

[color=dodgerblue]I am all for sex education. Don't get me wrong. I just don't agree that kindergarten is an appropriate time to start. If my children have questions, I will answer them with a simple answer that satisfies their curiosity. Until it doesn't, then I will elaborate until they are again satisfied. Its possible to tell them the truth while still keeping it age appropriate.

Example:

'Mommy... where do babies come from?'

'They grow in the mommy's belly and when they are big enough, the doctor takes them out.'

Just because most americans are prude and most religious folks are prude, doesn't mean that Nature starts it's normal way by kickstarting sexual interests (Freud said a few interesting things about how children discover sex and their sexuality) and later puberty.

[color=dodgerblue]I cannot and will not take Freud seriously. I have taken a few psych classes.. that guy was a sex-obsessed freak. My opinion, of course. You can believe what you want.

I don't know why you are assuming that I am somehow unwilling to teach my kids about sex, because that is just not true. I am, however, unwilling to let strangers teach my kids about sex in kindergarten.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It seems so far that ATS parents believe they should be the ones to teach their children about sexuality. Thats fine, I fully support your opinions.

But there is still the matter of irresponsible parents who don't even talk to their children about sexuality. These children may go on to become equally irresponsible teen parents and perpetuate the cycle. That and teens are becoming pregnant at even younger ages. Now, I don't know when American schools begin sex ed, but here in Saskatchewan it starts at 9th grade, meaning the students are around 15 years old. At this age many teens have already began to sexually experiment, many of them have never had "the talk" but may have heard about sex from their friends and go on to try it themselves, possibly before they have ever heard of contraception of any kind. I know at least a few of my classmates had sex before 9th grade.

I don't quite agree with starting sex ed at kindergarten, at least not the full-blown sex ed that we recieved in the 9th grade, but I do believe it should be taught BEFORE all the teens start messing around with eachother. It might actually lower the teen pregnancy rate, saving a lot of people a lot of hardship.

link   
Maybe my thread over here (Abstinence-Only Education and Teen Pregnancy Rates) may show my opinion on this.

You don't have to PRESS details on children! If they are interested enough, they will ask all questions concerning the matter and will learn willingly. I knew the rough details by 6, and I don't even remember by whom, pretty sure it was my parents, and that was enough for the next years till puberty.
edit on 18-1-2012 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

link   
I think teaching sex ed in kindergarten is a bit too early. However, I think it is a perfect time to start laying the foundation and fundamentals in order to adequately start teaching sex ed in their 4th/5th/6th grade years.

I would also like to say that the school systems should adopt a curriculum that also includes psychology and sociology.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

And finally: We should arrive in the 21st Century and all people should finally realise that Sex and having Children is part of our live. Sex isn't something evil, it's not from the devil and talking about it shouldn't be a taboo. Just because most americans are prude and most religious folks are prude, doesn't mean that Nature starts it's normal way by kickstarting sexual interests (Freud said a few interesting things about how children discover sex and their sexuality) and later puberty.

""Just because most americans are prude and most religious folks are prude""

I don't suppose you got any statistics on this ?

""(Freud said a few interesting things about how children discover sex and their sexuality) and later puberty.""

Some quotes and sources might be interesting.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join