It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery boom and earth tremors in Northumberland and Scottish Borders

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Just picked up on this through Facebook.
I live in Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK but unfortunately did not hear anything!!

EXPERTS are trying to determine what caused earth tremors and buildings to shake in Berwick and coastal areas of the Scottish Borders this afternoon. Scientists can’t say if it was an earthquake and the RAF said the RAF says none of their planes caused a sonic boom.

Source 1

People in the North East of England thought there had been an earthquake this afternoon as buildings shook. But experts believe the suspected quake was more likely to have been a fast plane flying in the area. Read more: www.mirror.co.uk...

Source 2

So it is thought to have been a plane but the RAF said it was not one of theirs?
Would a single sonic boom cause tremors over this large an area?
Interesting story, any insights would be great or if you heard it, chime in!!

Dave
edit on 12/1/2012 by waveydavey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
have been saying that there is something operating near my location,west lothian,for some time.think maybe aurora plane or something similar is flying by on its way from western isles to the states,was every tuesday for a few days last summer.was characterixed by what siunded like a stuttering sonic boom.please dont tell me i live near grangemouth or on edi flightpath this was very different and seems to have stopped

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I live in scotland and never heard or felt a thing, wish i had that would have been fun

2nd

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by waveydavey

thanks for posting this. We got some mystery booms over here!

I live in portland oregon and every night / early morning since around november there has been a deep rumbling sound permeating the stratosphere. It sounds like an afterburner from a HUGE jet - but just creates a sub rumble / low roar that actually shakes our houses windows. Insanity.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Hi i live in Darlington and have felt something today but thought it was a lorry in my street didnt think it could be anything else until i read this. I have herd the noises everyone talks about in Scotland before and did not hear anything like this today.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mznonterrorist

I'm disappointed that I didn't hear it
Like you say, would have been fun!!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
We had one here in nj today to. Whatever is causing these things seems to be picking up in frequency. I wish we could find a answer to what is causing this. I was in the army for awhile so Im familiar with how different types of air crafts sound. I cant vouch that these strange sounds dont sound like behave like anything ive ever encountered.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I aint buying the low plane explanation

We have had a few people from people in the Berwick area about loud noises and buildings vibrating. We are looking into these. There has not been any reports of any damage.

Read more: www.mirror.co.uk...
Earthquake maybe, but multiple people phoning about plane noise ?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I know, and for people spread over a large area like that a boom is a boom.
An aircraft, I would imagine would sound different depending on your location.
Could a sonic boom cause tremors over such a large area?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

the "sound" as it's heard here in the pac/nw states is as if a rocket afterburner is firing off mid flight, just a huge rush of energy that starts out loud, and continues as a dull roar for some few minutes. There's no jets in sight.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
we also had this in KS late last night/early morning and the night before last... audible rumbling/humming and a consistent noticeable vibration. the night before same thing just not as strong and I heard two loud booms -sounded like metal against metal. I will post a longer reply with all of the details when I am home for the day. Very strange. I hate to sound like a chicken but it definitely put me on edge.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Lots of chatter around here lately about "weird noises"
Rumbling / droning / pulsating noises seemingly coming from the sky etc..

This is neither yah or nay, but maybe there is a war going on underground. It wasn't long ago there was mention of some DUMBS being nuked in the Sates... who knows? Maybe all these weird noises are like hearing battle tones from far away... far away because they are underground.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Daily Mail now picked up on this story. www.dailymail.co.uk...

The Vicar of Berwick, Canon Alan Hughes, told the Berwick Advertiser: 'I was standing outside the vicarage and the next thing I knew people were piling out the Church of Scotland and doors were rattling and people were coming out their houses and offices.
'It shook me to the core.'

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...[/e x]

They go on to report that there were two tornado planes in the area and show this picture with a contrail although they fail to mention that there is also a fleet of ufos in the photo

edit on 12-1-2012 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bcs8484
We had one here in nj today to. Whatever is causing these things seems to be picking up in frequency. I wish we could find a answer to what is causing this. I was in the army for awhile so Im familiar with how different types of air crafts sound. I cant vouch that these strange sounds dont sound like behave like anything ive ever encountered.

On Monday between 9am - 2pm there were booms all day long by the nj shore. Sounded like thunder. I recorded it with my phone but it didn't come out very good.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

hi everybody im new to this site but love it , just wanted to mention i live in berwick and jesus it was crazy my whole house shook, i live near the beach, it shook my two dogs up lol. it was apparently a tornado jet 10 miles off the coast going at mach 5.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I live in Whitley Bay and was at a meeting in Darlington today. First I heard was one of the managers from Berwick said an earthquake was felt up there.

My girlfriend was at her dads in Ashington and she felt it and the news reports say it was felt in Newcastle!

Those from the area know that is a hell of a large area

If it was a sonic boom why would it have been heard over such a wide area?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wellsybelieves

i live in berwick and i agree northumberland is huge but cant answer your question,i think people in berwick heard it louder because were right on the coast, i live right next to the beach and if it was a tornado jet it was #ing amazing lol.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jordan19

Tornado Jet

The tornado can't fly at Mach 5!!
Also according to this they do not fly out of RAF Kinloss.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

sorry mate its just what i heard, i dunno what it was but it was very loud and shook the whole house.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
yo guys im livingston scotland and a big ufology man if you check my profile and see my prev posts.

currently im working within the offshore industry for the past few years so keep up to date with everything offshore as part of my job, daily analysis of a shedload of offshore sites etc.

ive been reading a lot lately about "fracking" worldwide and its probable cause of quakes. Fracking is going on in Scotland at the moment, os we may be looking towards this

www.heraldscotland.com...

"A CONTROVERSIAL method of drilling for gas blamed for causing an earthquake south of the Border is to be used in Scotland for the first time.

An energy firm has been given the green light to begin using hydraulic fracturing – or “fracking” – to dig for fossil fuels in Dumfries and Galloway.

The process, which involves tapping trapped gas by blasting fissures in rock beds with water, sand and chemicals, was said to have been behind earth tremors close to Blackpool when it was used off the Lancashire coast in April and May. "

When the blackpool company first stated fracking, quakes started pretty much on queue soon after. I know Ohio in the stats is currently experiencing the same:

www.smh.com.au...

"CLEVELAND: A well used to dispose of wastewater from oil and gas drilling in north-eastern Ohio almost certainly caused a series of 11 minor earthquakes in the Youngstown area since March, a seismologist investigating the quakes says.

Research is continuing on the now-closed injection well at Youngstown and seismic activity, but it may take a year for the wastewater-related rumblings to dissipate, John Armbruster of Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory said.

Brine wastewater dumped in wells comes from drilling, including the fracking process to extract gas from underground shale that has concerned environmental groups and some property owners. Injection wells have also been suspected in quakes in Arkansas, Colorado and Oklahoma, Mr Armbruster said.

Read more: www.smh.com.au..."

Lets see what develops over the next few days on this rumbling.

As for "viptruck99".. ive got a full view of the pentland hills etc, and nearly caught that booming noise a few months ago.. i heard the booms, went outside just before dusk and witnessed the big donut ring contrails, that from prev ufology research where very similar to those taken in texas of the supposed Aurora.

West Lothian and Livingston as a whole is a great area for the unexplained.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join