It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assad losing control as 10,000 soldiers desert Syrian military

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Good news...

Assad losing control as 10,000 soldiers desert Syrian military

More than 10,000 soldiers have deserted the Syrian army, sources say, with as many as half the conscripts not reporting in the last three call-ups.

According to Western intelligence agencies, even though the top brass is still loyal to President Bashar Assad, lower-level officers are deserting in large numbers, and in some cases, whole units have deserted en masse.

On Tuesday, at least 73 people were killed in Syria in clashes between the army and opposition, most of them in Homs in the west and Idlib in the northwest. The 73 dead added to the 100 who were killed on Monday, among them 14 soldiers ambushed by opposition forces, human rights groups said.

Time for that tyrant Assad to fall.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
If theyr'e smart, they will defect.
Put your'e self In their position, of course your'e going to think "U.S or Nato or even both are coming very soon, who's my best chance with, all I need to do Is stay out the way of US fighter Jets because they seem to miss a lot"

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
They JUST signed the arab league deal and they kill 70 more people! Assad stepping down will be the ONLY thing that saves the syrian people from certain death.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Now this IS good news. If the change comes from Syrians dealing with their own problems here and running their corrupt leadership out themselves, I whole heartedly support and offer my best wishes to their efforts. Internal vs. External makes ALL the difference...but hey, internal change is the right of any people in the world.

Syrians have really been needing this for a long time.....just don't let NATO or anyone else in after they succeed. Make it a Syria for Syrians not Europeans and Americans. Maybe..if all goes well..Americans can visit Damascus as tourists...but never armed troops.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Oh great...if the Syrians do take care of their own problems internally....Obama will find a way to claim it as his victory.

They need to deal with their dictator on their own....just as we need to vote out our dictator....
edit on 20-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I saw a report that was unconfirmed this afternoon that a group of defectors had been shot by senior officers. But, as I said, it's all unconfirmed.

It's good to see that these people are finally deserting, it's just a shame that it's taken so long for them to see sense.

I wonder how these people are greeted in their societies after serving? Surely if they've waited and continued serving to this point they're not deserting for the benefit of their people, they're deserting because they feel the future is on the opposite side.

It's noble to desert while you're winning but know it's unjust, it's not so noble to switch your allegiance because you realize you're on the loosing side.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
He doesn't sound like a raving Dictator to me in his interview with Barbara Walters.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ad0nis101
He doesn't sound like a raving Dictator to me in his interview with Barbara Walters.

www.youtube.com...

That's because he is not a tyrant or raving dictator. The majority of the Syrian people support him and love him. The Rupert Murdoch Zionist Koolade machine keeps the people on these boards IGNORANT!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
They JUST signed the arab league deal and they kill 70 more people! Assad stepping down will be the ONLY thing that saves the syrian people from certain death.

All death is certain and your chances of "winning the lottery" increase if you go to one of those riots.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

It isn't about Assad being a dictator. It is about the NWO crowd wanting a pathway to Iran and control in the area. The person in charge was in charge of the over throw in Libya by the CIA Al-Quada. It has already been reported that the same group of fighters were sent to Syria to over throw Assad. It is strange how the Al-Quada are the bad guys to use against freedom in the US but are the good guys working for the US government abroad. The Syrians are not stupid all they have to do is look at the results in Libya to know what is in store for them if they attempt to defend their country against NATO (US). If this overthrow from within is successful which of course it will be. It will circumvent the appearance of an outside attack and keep Russia out of it. Obama is already heating up the rhetoric against Venezula, and Cuba along with Iran. The leader of North Korea out of the way. This can only be construed as a mopping up by the Banking Cartel to fully implement their World Central Banking system. I hope the Syrian people are spared the destruction and genocide that many are apparently attempting to avoid. However knowing the blood thirty psychopaths in charge of the operation I highly doubt it.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Please tell me how this can be good news, it only means more war...this is completely wrong, yes he may have been a dictator, but is the whole Arab Spring worth it?

And exactly what do you think will come of this, more deaths, and destruction..and you plaud this.

Oh yeah great, let's continue to destabilize the whole ME until someone pushes a button or set-off a dirty bomb,good idea...NOT!!!

edit on 20-12-2011 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Looks like the Syrian military is more open to bribery than Libya was.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
only the Muslim Brotherhood can bring peace and stability to the Middle East

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by coolieno99
only the Muslim Brotherhood can bring peace and stability to the Middle East

They failed and failed on an epic scale, they too are looking at wealth rather than the so called " brotherhood " !!!!

edit: the so called Muslim Brotherhood have a lot to answer for when history calls upon them ...

edit on 21-12-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Well if the military defects, it means some of them will rebel against the tyrant.

Hopefully the Syrians take back their country and tell the west to shove it.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

The rebellion is driven by the West and has severely harmed the peaceful protests that had pressured Assad is liberalize in the past few years.Its an outright power grab attempt by muslim Brotherhood and Turkey.People who didn't support Assad are now supporting him because muslim brotherhood is far worse.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
No soldiers like killing there own people, it's not what they signed up for. When they are ordered to do so by up high this is what happens it should suprise no one.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
For those who aren't so clued up on the situation in Syria and its wider implications, here are a few helpful articles from Stratfor.

Making Sense of the Syrian Crisis

Syria, Iran and the Balance of Power in the Middle East

The Syria Crisis: Assessing Foreign Intervention

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
So where is the no fly zone and imminent NATO attack on Syria that folks here on ATS have been yapping about for the last 3 months? I kept telling everyone nothing was going to happen and it didnt so im back to say "told ya so".

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
That's because he is not a tyrant or raving dictator. The majority of the Syrian people support him and love him. The Rupert Murdoch Zionist Koolade machine keeps the people on these boards IGNORANT!

If what you say is true, then why does the Syrian regime rely on an oppressive police state to keep things running with arbitrary trial, arrest and abuse.

Could it be that your understanding of Syrian human rights abuses before the current troubles are somewhat lacking. This is not about “Murdoch Zionist” fantasy gibberish, but a real situation. Syria was (and remains) a highly repressive society and this is well documented and catalogued. The fact that the violence is unremitting demonstrates the “love” the dictator Assad holds for his own people.

Assad is merely part of a system where a minority group rules through repression. Assad is a “raving dictator” and has blood on his hands.

Prove me wrong.

Regards

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join