It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling All in the Southern Hemisphere. The Crazily Bright Star. What is it? PHOTOS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Okay guys..

I downloaded Stellarium. I am at work at the moment so I'll need a bit of time to figure it out..

I will also try to take a photograph of it tonight. I just got a new telephoto lens, and took some photographs the other night.

Will post them a little later when I have time. But still today. K.

Thanks all for your input so far!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Well I am in the southern suburbs so probably don't have the same view you do in the north east or the height advantage of the Golden Grove hills. Will have to take a drive north one day to view it.

Sorry just re-read your post and you did say it was in the west (not north west). I do view it every night and surprised as Venus has set a while ago and yet there is a bright object in the sky right now. Will look up stellarium as you have me wondering now.
edit on 19/12/11 by Australiana because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
For those who are in the Southern Hemisphere, I am sure you have all noticed the really bright star in the sky... It rises first at dusk, with only a small amount of other stars visible.

Well, I am not great with directions and such.. sorry. But my boyfriend used the compass on his phone and was +- 3 degree off West.. I don't know if that is the correct term to use.

Have you noticed it rise in the west, or do you mean it appears in the west?

This is indeed weird. I've just double checked my site information and it seems to be correct. Jupiter seems to be where it should be.
edit on 19/12/11 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Okay, so I have posted the pictures in the OP.

Luckily I could still edit it.

I hope that helps...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I just walked up the road a bit to so I could see it. It's about 10 degrees above the horizon now (time is 22:10).

It's right where Neptune is supposed to be, but I've never heard of Neptune being the brightest star in the sky.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Tripple_Helix

Where abouts are you? You seem to be west of me (it's dark here now).

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

I am in South Africa, Western Cape

Have a look at the OP, I edited it to add the photos.
edit on 19-12-2011 by Tripple_Helix because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Jupiter is quite close to Uranus, less than 40 degrees apart and very similar azimuth.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
You're getting some really dumb advice here.

1) Jupiter isn't a star. It's a planet. It's very easy to tell the difference. (see 2...)

2) Stars twinkle. Only stars twinkle.

3) Planets appear as shining objects in the sky, but they don't twinkle. That's how you know they're planets.

All of these things (stars, planets) move in the sky. To find out what you're looking at, you need to know precisely what time it was, what direction, and the elevation.

Better yet, just download an application to your device (phone) that will use your location and the other hardware to tell you exactly what you're looking at. It's a billion times easier than what you're doing here. If you don't have a phone or a tablet that can download apps, sorry, but it will be harder.

I really consider it a huge waste of time to just see some bright object in the sky and start begging for answers if you haven't the slightest clue on how to identify things in the sky!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Depending on were you live and with Stellarium. The most visible right at sunset are the planets Venus in the Southwest for a short period of time.
Jupiter is also visible out of the ESE and visible for a quite a few hours into the night.
After that, then Rigel is the next brightest in Orion that can be seen followed closely after by Sirius.(10pmish)

I have been viewing them both recently.
edit on 12/19/2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix

I am in South Africa, Western Cape

Is it just after 2pm there at the moment?

The photos you added were from last night I guess. Do you remember what time you took them?
edit on 19/12/11 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
Depending on were you live...

That's what's doing my head in at the moment...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Is it just after 2pm there at the moment? The photos you added were from last night I guess. Do you remember what time you took them?

Hi, yes at the moment it's 2:23pm

The photographs were from a couple of nights ago. We were having a braai last night, and the star was once again topic of conversation so I decided to post it here...

Edit: oh sorry, the time of the photo's... Um not sure on exact timing but I guess it was around 8pm at the time...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

The thing is, everyone in the Southern Hemisphere will know exactly what I am talking about. You cannot miss it or mistake it for something else.

I am sorry if I don't have all the info, I thought the pictures and a rough estimate of NSEW, would suffice.

Considering it's proximity to the moon, I would think it would be easy for those 'in the know' to identify.

I do have a phone that can download apps. Just not sure if I would trust an android app for something like this.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
It appears that what I was observing was indeed Venus.

Apparently putting in the correct location, elevation, time and date was not enough for the program I am using (Celeston's the sky).

I didn't click the daylight saving box...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I have no idea what star that is ... but, I would like to comment on your photos. You said "not the best", but I think your photos are quite good! Very clear and sharp! Where ever you are, I wish I could see the stars like that! There is too much light pollution from the cities where I live and we hardly ever get a view of the stars like your photos!!
So, that is what I wanted to add... that your photos look great!

Good luck finding out who this star is!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Okay, under "properties" of the first photograph, it says "Modified: ‎27 ‎November ‎2011, ‏‎08:45:00 PM

The second Photo: "Modified: 27 ‎November ‎2011, ‏‎09:05:06 PM"

I guess time flies- It feels like just the other day I took these photographs.

If you like- I can take more tonight- If it's a clear evening.
Let me know.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueBanshee

Thank you!

Very Kind of you to stop by and comment/compliment.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

27th of November , Venus was close to the moon.

Venus is now WSW and will be setting in that general area for the next few days.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

27th of November , Venus was close to the moon.

Venus is now WSW and will be setting in that general area for the next few days.
yes, i remember the 18th of november clearly - that was the first time this year i was able to see venus being at a different location but on the 18th i remember looking out over the mountains and there it was - and that was the day a very dear friend died - thanks chadwickus

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join