It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven Lessons from a Thief - When is it too late to find salvation?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I came across an excellent article regarding the thief on the cross. Consider the seven points to be learned from this passage in the Bible:

One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, "Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!" But the other answered, and rebuking him said, "Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? "And we indeed are suffering justly, for we are receiving what we deserve for our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong." And he was saying, "Jesus, remember me when You come in Your kingdom!" And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

1) He recognized that life was short.

2) He realized there was life after death.

3) He understood his guilt before a Holy God.

4) He realized that Jesus was unique to any other man that had lived.

5) He understood that Christ had the power to save him.

6) "The repentant thief understood that he could not be saved through his own good works or any act of self-righteousness"

7) Seventh, this thief understood that it is never too late to ask God for salvation. Although he knew that his death was imminent, he still believed it was not too late to cry out to Christ for mercy. Although guilty of a capital crime and dying, he did not believe that it was too late for him to experience divine grace. The thief's persuasion proved correct as Christ gave him immediate validation of salvation, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise"

"No matter what you have done, or how long you have lived, or how close you are to death, it is never too late to ask God for salvation (2 Cor 6:2b). However, once you die and you pass into the eternal realm, then it is too late (Luke 16:19-31; Heb 9:27)."

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Is it too late for me to find salvation after I deficated on the bible, cross, preists, vatican, pope and started a fire on the wood fence of heaven

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Thank you for this post, and don't bother replying to the idiotic comments others post.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic

Thank you for this post, and don't bother replying to the idiotic comments others post.
I thought fairy tales were only fun for children..
Why so serious?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

How does this not invalidate ALL of the other things the Christ said? Why should I bother to offer the other cheek when I can break one's arse and believe in the Christ to absolve me of my sin?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ThrowCatsAtCacti

there was no need for that
hope you have a good day.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by stopmakingsense
reply to post by ThrowCatsAtCacti

there was no need for that
hope you have a good day.
There was and still is need for that.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

So essentially the thief took all power and responsibility away from himself and put it somewhere else? Sounds like a wise man.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I have often asked this to holy men, and am yet to get an answer.

"If Satan finally or for some reason realised the error of his ways (no matter how proud he is supposed to be) and asks God for forgiveness, will it be granted?"

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Last time I checked the astral world ain't got bouncers.
It's not like you're going to get asked for ID.
If you believe that, then so be it.
The only thing you're doing is placing limits on yourself and to me the sky's the limit.
There is no God that will stop me going anywhere.
I will go there of my own free will.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThrowCatsAtCacti
Is it too late for me to find salvation after I deficated on the bible, cross, preists, vatican, pope and started a fire on the wood fence of heaven

The gate is very narrow. You must examine yourself and recognize the need for salvation. Apart from seeing our self in light of God's righteousness and humbling the soul, salvation is far removed. As Paul Washer points out, there are even many who call themselves Christians who are equally lost in the world. "Conversion is not like a flu shot." God begins a good work in us unless we deny that He can or will. It's always a choice to embrace or deny truth.

The truth is not that you dedicate on on the world, but that you choose to do this to yourself. Jesus offers a way past depravity and sickness of the soul.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Hebrews 10: 26 For if we deliberately continue to sin after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but only the terrifying prospect of Judgment, or raging fire that will consume the enemies.

What I find interesting is one his left hand is condemnation and right hand is mercy. What happened with the thieves will happen with the world in judgement.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Thanks! I will check that!

Have a nice day!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised
I have often asked this to holy men, and am yet to get an answer.

"If Satan finally or for some reason realised the error of his ways (no matter how proud he is supposed to be) and asks God for forgiveness, will it be granted?"

Hebrews 2

For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants. 17 For this reason he had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. 18 Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

According to Jubilee laws, only a kinsman can redeem someone from another master. Sin and death has its master. Freedom comes from the only one worthy of redemption from sin and death. Only one has conquered the law and the condemnation that follows the law. When we claim the gift of our redemption form the slavery of sin and death, we are then seen as Christ is seen when God look upon our soul. Jesus is our advocate in place of the sentence of death we deserve. The master of sin and death will be sentenced with the law accusations he aims at us. In the same manner that you judge others, you will be judged. Same goes for Satan.

This is why we must turn the other cheek and pray for our enemies. Forgive those who persecute you.

edit on 15-12-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi

How does this not invalidate ALL of the other things the Christ said? Why should I bother to offer the other cheek when I can break one's arse and believe in the Christ to absolve me of my sin?

Because it's not a "get out of jail free" card. If you ask forgiveness for the right reasons (because you genuinely believe that you've sinned, you believe Christ has the power to forgive sins, and you genuinely want to be forgiven) then I believe God will forgive you. But God knows if you're just asking just because, if hell does exist, you don't want to go there, or if asking for forgiveness is your insurance policy for death.

Originally posted by SuperiorEd

This is why we must turn the other cheek and pray for our enemies. Forgive those who persecute you.

And let me tell you, sometimes it can be REALLY hard to do that.
edit on 12/15/11 by EPH612 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/15/11 by EPH612 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Hebrews 10: 26 For if we deliberately continue to sin after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but only the terrifying prospect of Judgment, or raging fire that will consume the enemies.

What I find interesting is one his left hand is condemnation and right hand is mercy. What happened with the thieves will happen with the world in judgement.

Matthew Henry answers this well:

"The exhortations against apostacy and to perseverance, are urged by many strong reasons. The sin here mentioned is a total and final falling away, when men, with a full and fixed will and resolution, despise and reject Christ, the only Saviour; despise and resist the Spirit, the only Sanctifier; and despise and renounce the gospel, the only way of salvation, and the words of eternal life. Of this destruction God gives some notorious sinners, while on earth, a fearful foreboding in their consciences, with despair of being able to endure or to escape it. But what punishment can be sorer than to die without mercy? We answer, to die by mercy, by the mercy and grace which they have despised. How dreadful is the case, when not only the justice of God, but his abused grace and mercy call for vengeance! All this does not in the least mean that any souls who sorrow for sin will be shut out from mercy, or that any will be refused the benefit of Christ's sacrifice, who are willing to accept these blessings. Him that cometh unto Christ, he will in no wise cast out."

Love covers a multitude of sins. We must love and forgive others. In the same manner we judge--even ourselves--we will be judged. The same manner we judge God, we will be judged. If we put ourselves first, we will be last. If we put ourselves last, we will be first. Humility is the key.

edit on 15-12-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi

Scripture shows the truth of the matter. If we are not loving, we cannot claim love. Repentance means to turn toward love and away from anger and hatred. Bias is far removed from a love that sees the enemy as worthy of forgiveness. This is ultimate love. God's ultimate love to us is the grace (unmerited favor) that we do not and cannot deserve. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. Are we a friend of God? To know, we examine our relationship to others and God.

Matthew 7:2

For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Thanks for this post

On my fathers side of the family we have two priests and three nuns who live in France. When I was a little kid I remember having a conversation with Father Michelle about forgiveness. He told me no matter what mistakes I might make in life, If I am truly sorry (key word being: truly), that God will forgive me.

I believe that, always have.

I've noticed througout my life that people who claim they don't believe, yet have to butt in and be rude, are just scared of the unknown... or maybe somewhere deep down inside they do believe but can't admit it for some reason. Or maybe they did believe and something bad happened and they blame God, so they feel guilty? I don't know. It's funny to me though... if you don't believe that's fine, but why visit a religious forum? Anyway...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

So essentially the thief took all power and responsibility away from himself and put it somewhere else? Sounds like a wise man.

I wouldn't exactly say that. The thief took responsibility for his sins, and asked for forgiveness from God because only God has the power to forgive sins. The thief accepted he was going to die a sinner and the power had always belonged to God.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Thanks brother for the good message! Although the message may be rejected by some now it may come back to them later at just the right moment.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join