It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rick Perry's latest ad, STRONG (Anti gay rights)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
LOL that was hysterical. What a douche. Damn gays stole Christmas!

That's brilliant!

Damn gays will be staling your guns too.
I saw one just the other day impaling kittens on spikes!

Someone needs to tell this retard that gay people have existed throughout the history of America, and that its people, not religious faith, built America.

The fact that there are some Americans stupid enough to fall for his BS is truly worrying. Makes me wonder about the state of the American education system.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

"...there's something wrong in this country when kids can openly celebrate Chistmas and pray in schools but our gays can't serve openly in the military."

You know damn well everyone would be in full agreement.

You cannot seriously be trying to defend stupidity with more stupidity!? That's just... well, stupid!

"... there's something wrong in this country when Smurfs are segregated from playing Hockey, but grandmothers are allowed to knit horrible Christmas sweaters."

Come on, you KNOW you'd agree with that!

The guy is just another political lunatic who knows that the right-wing are stupid and will fall for anything with religion in it. He may as well have just appeared and yelled "God, yeah, Gays bad!!!" with a stupid grin and a thumbs up, all those pathetic uneducated religious nuts would be voting for him in a second.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Lots of good thoughts on this thread. I flagged this video as hate speech. I've watched it a number of times, and there's no doubt in my mind that he's framing homosexuality as a bad thing in the first part of the sentence in question (try replacing "gays can serve openly in the military" with any positive or even morally neutral idea, and the sentence falls apart - the construction depends on the first phrase being seen as morally negative), and outright lying in the second part of the sentence.

I teach at a public school in the US, and I can tell you that students are allowed to openly celebrate Christmas (encouraged by the school, parents, corporate consumerism culture, and about 90% of the Western world), and they are allowed to openly pray in school.

We do acknowledge non-Christian holidays as well, and we allow non-Christian students to pray in accordance with their own religions. I guess that constitutes a "war on religion" to some people.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Um, ... what happened to separation of church and state?

It's still there. The separation of Church and State meant that no religion would be able to enforce, make, interpret, or influence the law in such a way that it makes it a religious policy.

The section of law that states separation is referring to the Vatican. The founders were basically recognizing and calling out that when a government works hand in hand with the Church's "elite" or committees (whatever you would like to call the Church's governing body) will be biased to those practicing the religion.
It has nothing to do with members of the State's governing body being Christian, relating their beliefs, or anything of the sort. It merely had to do with stating that the State governs itself and the Church governs itself, but must follow any rules that the State sets out.

The founders weren't even christian anyway

No, technically they weren't. VIA Wikipedia,

Lambert (2003) has examined the religious affiliations and beliefs of the Founders. Of the 55 delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention, 49 were Protestants, and three were Roman Catholics (C. Carroll, D. Carroll, and Fitzsimons). Among the Protestant delegates to the Constitutional Convention, 28 were Church of England (or Episcopalian, after the American Revolutionary War was won), eight were Presbyterians, seven were Congregationalists, two were Lutherans, two were Dutch Reformed, and two were Methodists. A few prominent Founding Fathers were anti-clerical Christians, such as Thomas Jefferson[13][14][15] (who created the so-called "Jefferson Bible") and Benjamin Franklin.[16] A few others (most notably Thomas Paine) were deists, or at least held beliefs very similar to those of deists.[17]

But in an all inclusive way, they were indeed Christian. Where you got the belief they weren't, I don't know. If you look back at the Founding Fathers they based our government on Christian ideals, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, etc. To say that Christianity has ruined our government and to remove it would be to deny those laws and any morals left within our country.

Christians do not own this country - - - and non-Christians are fed up with them thinking they do.

I do not believe I own this country by myself. We all live here, this country belongs to all of us. We should work together to solve our issues, but I don't think any Christian thinks they own the country (unless they're deluded).

Not being able to display a specific religion on government property is as it should be.

You do know that all of the land of the USA belongs to the government right? The property taxes you pay? Those are basically "fees" for using their land. To actually have private property, you have to have the property in question emancipated from the governments possession.

There is no reason to be political during this holiday season on a personal level. Everyone should just enjoy themselves whatever way they choose to celebrate - - or not.

Agreed, which is why I find it really silly that people want to enforce "happy holidays" political correctness when we should leave each other to their own.

I have had people try to make a big deal to me saying Merry Christmas and then making some comment like Christ is in Christmas.

Even I find that obnoxious. I would go into detail but I'm almost out of words.

The ad is beyond anti-gay, its anti-American. Rick Perry put this ad out the same day he stood in front of the Republican Jewish Coalition and said that “Israel shares our values” – the same Israel that has allowed openly gay service for 30 years now. . . . . This ad plays to the cheap seats, appeals to the absolute worst in people and is exactly what one would expect out of a desperate campaign entering its political end days.

I'm going to stop with the quotes here, lest I get out of hand.
What a load of crock. They apparently have their heads up their ***es and are viewing this as gay bashing.
sdcigarpig had it right when they were saying that the American populace and government are at least tolerant of gays coming out and letting themselves known, but Christians can't.

You all receive failing grades in communications.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Xen0m0rpH

Your stated opinions are very manipulative. Redirecting to fit your purpose.

I was raised Christian and yes as a whole they believe they "own" this country - - in that it should be governed by Christianity.

Christian idealism is common sense and has nothing to do with the religion itself. The philosophy in the 10 commandments came long before the time of "biblical Jesus".

All land is government property? Good one. No one is fooled by that statement - - when speaking of a specific religion sanctioned on government property.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Your stated opinions are very manipulative. Redirecting to fit your purpose.

How are they manipulative? Opinions cannot manipulate anything other than the opinions of others. I'm only stating what I feel in my heart and mind. I have no specific agenda. What you're even trying to imply there I wouldn't even know.

I was raised Christian and yes as a whole they believe they "own" this country - - in that it should be governed by Christianity.

And those would be part of the Christians that are deluded. We live in a real world with others and it must be shared, contrary to any other beliefs. I feel sorry for your life with Christians and to see you look upon them as if they were somehow lesser puts all the more strain unto me when I converse with you.
A true Christian would prefer each to their own as long as they do not break any laws, as laws are not moral doctrine and should not always be treated as such.
I only implore you to take a second look at Christians as a whole and see that they may not think the way you see. It may only be that area, or a certain group, maybe just your family. But Christians are varied just like any other people with beliefs and traditions.

Christian idealism is common sense and has nothing to do with the religion itself. The philosophy in the 10 commandments came long before the time of "biblical Jesus".

Yes, with the time of Moses. What "Christian Idealism" has to do with this conversation, I'm not quite sure.

All land is government property? Good one. No one is fooled by that statement - - when speaking of a specific religion sanctioned on government property.

I have no qualms with the government or anyone else. I gain no more or less from saying what is the truth. Whether it be a Baptist Church, a Shiite Church, or a Shrine to Zeus I have nothing to gain or lose. The government is to be seen as the worldly power and obeyed, at least until they have proven them self to be unjust. Then I would feel that revolution is not out of question.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join