It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rick Perry's latest ad, STRONG (Anti gay rights)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

That's exactly my sentiment regarding Holidays.

Funny I have 3 religions in my household. I'm not religious, my husband is a Non practicing Catholic and my son is a self confessed Bhudist.

So I have no issues with people practicing or not practicing religion, I'm never offended by people wishing me happy holidays or hannukah or any other religiously affiliated holiday.

Reason being most of these originated in Pagan rituals surrounding harvests and different other periods of the year where people got together, celebreated and overall had a good time. Only the established religions attempt to claim that it belongs to them and get all butt hurt when somebody tries to change it.

So I get it from both perspectives but I won't loose any sleep over religion becoming a non-existant factor in politics and law.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

How do you feel about those who are trying to do away with Christianity and carry it to the level of demanding that even a privately owned store cannot celebrate their beliefs or wish somebody a Merry Christmas? Does that not cross the line into bigotry and hate? Does that not then cross the line into controlled speech and one group dictating to another what they can and cannot say to each other?

That is what I think many are really talking about. Not the idea that a symbol on public property somehow would harm them in some way.

Is not tolerance of each others beliefs how it should be? Is it not true that there are some who are so bigoted and filled with hate they wish to control others speech and lives?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You have always seemed reasonable to me. I find the same for me at Christmas. My best friend of of over 40 years is a rabid Atheist, but he likes Christmas and treats it as a secular Holiday. I think most people are fairly reasonable. Some worry me though.

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Annee

How do you feel about those who are trying to do away with Christianity and carry it to the level of demanding that even a privately owned store cannot celebrate their beliefs or wish somebody a Merry Christmas?

Who does that? Privately owned is privately owned. A bit off - but in same line - - Christians trying to get Atheist billboards removed.

I'm from the 50s - - and have watched the changes and the public emergence of other beliefs - - that have always been around - - but were denied public recognition as Christianity dominated.

Before the fair housing act you could deny a home buyer because of their belief.

Having been Christian most of my life - - - I know they feel self-entitled. They really don't get - that they're not.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

This is a discussion forum and I post in a statement style.

I am not hard core in person. If someone says Merry Christmas to me I say Merry Christmas back. What ever greeting they choose to use - - I honor that.

There is no reason to be political during this holiday season on a personal level. Everyone should just enjoy themselves whatever way they choose to celebrate - - or not.

I have had people try to make a big deal to me saying Merry Christmas and then making some comment like Christ is in Christmas. Annoying - - but I let it go. There is no reason for me on a personal level to ruin this time of year for them.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I figured as much. I think these conversations are very healthy.

When I get troubled is when I see companies not allowing their workers to acknowledge Christmas or people threatening boycotts and such. I see that has died down a lot the last couple of years. No doubt this will come up from time to time.

It's hard for me to get too upset this time of year anyway. Vacation looming on the horizon and figuring out what to give to others to express my love and friendship for them. Probably time for me to take a break from the negativity here and on TV and to have some fun and unwind. I'll spend a glorious two weeks at home tinkering around with nothing to do but enjoy myself. It regenerates me and I get touchy where Christmas is concerned.

Perhaps a compromise might be if the secular holiday be renamed as it really has not a thing to do with Christianity anyway. It's clearly the word that bothers some. Certainly the idea of people exchanging gifts would not upset a reasonable person. Problem is it is so divisive and out of control right now we cannot have rational compromises. Everyone wants their way and forget the others it seem to me.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Annee

I figured as much. I think these conversations are very healthy.

When I get troubled is when I see companies not allowing their workers to acknowledge Christmas or people threatening boycotts and such. I see that has died down a lot the last couple of years. No doubt this will come up from time to time.

The pendulum does always swing.

I only have a problem when its government recognizing a specific religion. Why we have an official federal Christian holiday is beyond me.

However - - I grew up with Christmas - - and I love the Feeling of Christmas.

As much as Christians try to keep Christ in Christmas - - - its really gone beyond that. Anyone who feels like celebrating this as a holiday season does - - traditionally or in their own way.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I've never seen this happen, but I'm sure it does. I would find it really annoying to see an obvious Muslim walk into a store or whatever, and the store clerk to throw out a 'sarcastic' Merry Christmas!!! Or if vise versa a Christian walks in a Muslim store and the clerk says 'Happy Ramadan!!!' I would not find it annoying enough to press charges, or to even complain, but it would come across very obnoxious to me.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MisterFister103
I've never seen this happen, but I'm sure it does. I would find it really annoying to see an obvious Muslim walk into a store or whatever, and the store clerk to throw out a 'sarcastic' Merry Christmas!!! Or if vise versa a Christian walks in a Muslim store and the clerk says 'Happy Ramadan!!!' I would not find it annoying enough to press charges, or to even complain, but it would come across very obnoxious to me.

There is nothing wrong with wishing them back what they wish you - - from their belief.

If they are being obnoxious - trying to make a point - - wouldn't defusing it be the best choice - - by wishing them back Merry Christmas or Happy Ramadan?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

There is nothing wrong with wishing them back what they wish you - - from their belief.

If they are being obnoxious - trying to make a point - - wouldn't defusing it be the best choice - - by wishing them back Merry Christmas or Happy Ramadan?

I agree with you, and I would personally wish them back whatever they wished me. But it's still obnoxious if done in the way I said. I know you've seen videos or whatnot of a Muslim getting down on his knees and praying, and Christian fundamentalists yelling at him things like 'we praise Jesus 'round these parts'. It's just not needed, and it's trying to get a reaction. Or like if a Muslim goes to an amusement park, and as required by park procedure, they are supposed to remove their turban before going on a rollercoaster. They always like to raise a big ole hoopla about that saying their being discriminated against.....blah blah blah.

I guess it's easy for me to throw stones because I just feel religion is a massive waste of time and energy. All it does is cause disagreements.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

While it may seem like a good idea to remove all aspects of religion from the government and social policy, the question must be asked, is it wise to do such?

This question should be considered, as it can be both for the benefit and detriment of society. There have always been signs of the holidays in many of the government offices, would you thus punish a person for wanting to express such, who may or may not be working in that office? Is it now to be policy where time honored classical music is now banned from being performed in public, all cause it may offend someone?
After all what would be so wrong with actually going with the spirit of the season?

While I do agree that the policy of not having religion interfere in the policies of the government, at the same time, I do not agree with removing anything that has been on said site for more than 40 years. It is wrong to do such, and should not be done at all. At one time, it was the highlight of government at different levels to decorate and to show holiday cheer during the month of December, as it gave people something else, that it could not provide, even in the most difficult of times, and that is hope. Hope and faith at times, sustain people more than any one government policy or law.

Just recently, there was an article in the news where a Christmas tree name had been called a Holiday Tree. Kind of takes the entire concept out of it. Christmas is a holiday that is recognized in many countries, and celebrated around the world, perhaps it is one of the few things that tie us all together, even in this age where all that we hear about is war and death. Let us not let the Christmas tree’s of government just pass into a memory and keep that tradition alive, in hopes that it will inspire people, if just for a moment to do the correct thing for the people that they are governing.

Before anyone gets the idea, no I am not a Christian, have not been for many years, but still like to look at and view the lighting of Christmas tree’s and the lights, as it brings back fond memories of days gone by.
It is a sad state of affairs, where children often suffer at not knowing the joy of some of the pleasures and joy of the holiday season, be it that there is no Christmas tree, or carols, to even teachers telling students that Santa Clause does not exist.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

first person in this thread who actually watched the video.

I love election time at ATS.

It's definitely not an Anti-gay ad, its just using the "omg gays are everywhere but we can't say christmas tree" argument.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
hasnt it been alleged that he himself is in fact gay or bi or something?

i seem to recall some scandal a few months back where a few ex bf's came out of the wood work and reamed him over anti gay sentiments he expressed or something to that effect.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
It's definitely not an Anti-gay ad, its just using the "omg gays are everywhere but we can't say christmas tree" argument.

Yes it is.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

But it's still obnoxious if done in the way I said.

Are you turning this against Muslims?

More then once I've had someone say Merry Christmas to me then add Christ is in Christmas - - in a rather aggressive manner.

That is pretty obnoxious.
edit on 8-12-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I love it when the majority religion here in America plays the victim...

Look, No one is breaking down your door and taking your christmas tree and making christmas illegal. Every year when you drum up the "War on Christmas" crap, it just makes you look foolish.

Enough with the persecution complex already.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
While Rick Perry may seem to be against gay rights, however, after viewing the ad, there are a few things that can be stated:

His message is simple and straight forward, while he is not outright stating he does not hate gay people or want them not to have rights, rather he is stating that there has been too much anti-religious movement going on in the country and to that end, he is correct. While we do not follow the same beliefs as other people, many of us here on ATS comes from all different backgrounds, and beliefs, he is correct that it is a sad state of affairs, when traditions and celebrations for the holidays have been degraded and moved into the proverbial closet, where people can not openly display their beliefs for fear of offending someone.

Make no mistake, there is a growing movement, and it is slowly gaining strength of where people are condemned for merely wishing someone merry Christmas. Displays of the religious nature, more specifically that of the Christians have come under attack more and more these days. And for what, cause it offends a few people, who believe that there should be a such a wall, that to even merely crossing it would be considered a capital offense. Where children can not take part in the holiday season, where they go to school, where such intolerance exists, that is what his primary problem with such is. Not the gay people, or those who are of a differing faith or belief, but the systematic destruction of the Christian religion from the public eye.

Perhaps in this time of the season, we should take a step back and let those who want to celebrate and display such, do in the spirit of the holiday season, a season devoted to the good will of all man kind and the very idea of peace on earth.

Wow this is the exact tone deaf thing that is the problem -- Children as long as they are good little christians -- all those other kids will just have to suck it up while we practice our "tolerence" now shut up and pray you heathen.

Where children can not take part in the holiday season, where they go to school, where such intolerance exists, that is what his primary problem with such is.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Rick Perry’s new TV ad is drawing criticism from GOProud, a gay conservative group.

In the ad, Perry says, “… you don’t need to be in the pew every Sunday to know there’s something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can’t openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school.”

GOProud’s Chairman, Christopher Barron, emailed me this response:

The ad is beyond anti-gay, its anti-American. Rick Perry put this ad out the same day he stood in front of the Republican Jewish Coalition and said that “Israel shares our values” – the same Israel that has allowed openly gay service for 30 years now.

. . . .

This ad plays to the cheap seats, appeals to the absolute worst in people and is exactly what one would expect out of a desperate campaign entering its political end days.

Read more: dailycaller.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

LOL I was just about to post something to that effect. What the hell do gays and xmas have to do with eachother. Major homophobic deuschebag. Im also tired of the christian conservative talking about the war on christmas every year. Oh and Im not afraid to say Im a christian. Just not the type of christians that are so offended over nothing

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I would like to see concrete proof of that happening because I just havent seen it

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join