It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts stumped by ancient Jerusalem markings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
>>Israeli diggers who uncovered a complex of rooms carved into the bedrock in the oldest section of the city recently found the markings: Three "V'' shapes cut next to each other into the limestone floor of one of the rooms, about 2 inches (5 centimeters) deep and 20 inches (50 centimeters) long. There were no finds to offer any clues pointing to the identity of who made them or what purpose they served.

Maybe the Ark? Tomb of David? Likely nothing but I guess you never know.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

back in 'the day' people would put a stick in the ground on the solstice or equinox. a shadow is made,and they would measure that shadow and carve it into stone,so people could use it to guage when the next season would begin. these are all over euerope,with the angles varying from very tight,like a skinny 'V'(far north) to a 'fat' V (south)
maybe that is what these are,sun markers.
jjust a thought!

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackProjects

I found this interesting...

The City of David dig, where the carvings were found, is the most high-profile and politically contentious excavation in the Holy Land. Named for the biblical monarch thought to have ruled from the spot 3,000 years ago, the dig is located in what today is east Jerusalem, which was captured by Israel in 1967. Palestinians claim that part of the city as the capital of a future state.

The dig is funded by Elad, an organization affiliated with the Israeli settlement movement. The group also moves Jewish families into the neighborhood and elsewhere in east Jerusalem in an attempt to render impossible any division of the city in a future peace deal.

Palestinians and some Israeli archaeologists have criticized the dig for what they say is an excessive focus on Jewish remains. The dig's archaeologists, who work under the auspices of the government's Israel Antiquities Authority, deny that charge.

Perhaps an explanation is eluding them because they are not willing to consider some. Clear and present agenda either way.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
i dunno - it looks like the first attempt at a smiley face.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
If they wanted to find the answer then get xray machines in and scan the floors, we have the technology, no need to bring in a jack hammer. Maybe its where a rich Roman lord buried his 15 moaning wives

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
To me it looks like a type of "Needle" or livestock barricade imprint. Its really close to a spring which is where livestock would be kept but they would place wooden panels into the V shapes and a large timber into the square shaped imprint on the floor for support. It would be impossible for a horse to get through that barricade yet quite easy for a person. I'm just guessing though.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Looks abit like a different kinnd of cuneiform or even some kind of egyptian hieroglyphics. But who knows. Nice find.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
They look like anchor points for something, maybe they should check the inner lining for wood or something that may have sat there...

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Definitely a stargate nearby. But they may be missing some symbols for dialing home.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
My expert and highly educated opinion of the matter is that they are a groove used for holding ropes in place, perhaps to shore up a building or corral. These were necessary due to the lack of trees or bushes in the rocky portion of the city.

That is the solution. You're welcome. Any other mysteries around, just send them my way.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think these could definitely have some kind of fairly boring role as a support, jig, vice, rope holder etc.

On the other hand, if we want to take a wild guess at symbolism: these are definitely the same shape as a compass - which is a Masonic/Hermetic/Occult sign.

There is great overlap with Masonic lore and Jerusalem. Solomon's Temple being a major part of that - en.wikipedia.org...

Brings to my mind the story of Hiram Abiff:

"Hiram Abiff (other spellings "Hurum"[1], "Abif"[2][3], and "Huram-Abi"[4]) is a character who figures prominently in an allegorical[5] play that is presented during the third degree of Craft Freemasonry. In this play, Hiram is presented as being the chief architect of King Solomon's Temple, who is murdered by three ruffians during an unsuccessful attempt to force him to divulge the Master Masons' secret password.[6] It is explained in the lecture that follows this play that the story is a lesson in fidelity to one's word, and in the brevity of life.
Numerous scholars, both Masonic and non-Masonic, have speculated that the character may have been based upon one or more Hirams that appear in the Bible.[7]"

A similar Masonic symbol to the one pictured in Jerusalem is found chiseled into 200 year old kerb stones in London. There is a particular stretch of roads several miles long where these symbols are so frequent that they almost form a marked path. I don't think this is very well known. Few images or references to these shapes come up on Google and you just don't notice them until you start looking!

I posted some of the more elaborate carvings in this thread about Mason's marks (or not) in Comalcalco, Mexico the other day: www.abovetopsecret.com...
One of the symbols from the OP's pictures has the compass in the bottom right.

Here is an example of the V/compass symbol from London:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Or maybe some pour areas for some metal or mineral slurry?

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Maybe it is just a workbench of some ancient architect ,with slots for tools. I mean, two of markings look like Masonic square and compasses symbols. Which are based on architect tools.
What is the complex marking in the low right corner? Surely not G from the Masonic symbol

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Maybe someone took a trip to Egypt and saw the pyramids.

Maybe they were trying to record what they saw there...although i can think of better places to carve than on the floor, but who knows.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
12345556789 0 Ψ 555 ken
ken to perceive.
that which says 555
VVV or vvv

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I laughed thinking the same thing. Edgar Cayce mentioned ancient texts to eventually become revealed in his future. Perhaps, these symbols are clues or indicators towards them. I hope something presents itself in our generation.

-If Richard Dean Anderson was in that photo, I would have laughed much longer.-

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
they are kind of hazardous. they could be enter and exit signs and the one on the far right was the foundation of wood entrance podium.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
What if just some bored group of kids carved that just for fun, for them it was just for fun, for us it is like the biggest mystery of mankind haha

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Maybe the Ark? Tomb of David?

Since neither one ever existed, no.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Could be symbols for the Jebusites? or one of the other peoples that inhabited Jerusalem prior to the Conquest by King David.

Tho I had a quick peek at the Canaanite language of the age and it doesn't seems to contain any similar symbols but it does seem the Canaanites referred to their supreme god as the "bull god" so perhaps the bull was sacred? and thus kept indoors in a pen.

and then again I could be talking out my bottom.

thanks for the interesting link and pics

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join