It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earths twin located?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The conspiracy guy in me says that this information is being released because we have already been there and confirmed it. And that we have found it suitable for colonization.

I expect that some new technology will be released soon. ie: invented suddenly by someone.
That will allow us to get there very soon.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

An article from a few days ago -
Gliese 581g

The planet dsicussed way back was Gilise 581 D. G was theorized as nothing more than a rocky planet. Since G is not all just rocks, I could see how the news could be excitiing.
edit on 29-11-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-11-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Don't get me wrong, this is indeed interesting. Not as exciting as I had expected.

But interesting just the same !!

Many many could be's here...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
Not too excited about this thread. They've said this many times...

"The New Earth"

"A new planet was found 25 galaxies from Earth that might be able to sustain life. The temperature is just right on the planet."

"It'll take us 100 years to get there. So we'll never know."

Yeah but if true this will create a space race the likes of which we have never seen. New technologies will be created and perhaps in 30 or so years we will be close to making the trip in just a few short years.

Then life will be.like avatar. Lol

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

The planet dsicussed way back was Gilise 581 D. G was theorized as nothing more than a rocky planet. Since G is not all just rocks, I could see how the news could be excitiing.

A "rocky planet" is a good thing. Earth is a rocky planet. The alternative is a gas planet. Not so good if you're looking for something "earthlike".

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

There may be liquid water.
Gliese 581G is well set within the "goldilocks zone" so the chances are good but there is no "confirmation". We don't have the means of confirming it.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

A planet which orbits its star in 37 days and always shows the same face to it. Strange worlds.

edit on 11/29/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Pretty common actually.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SpongeBeard

Strange to live on.

A "year" slightly longer than a month. A side with perpetual daylight and a side with perpetual night. The "sun" not moving in the sky.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
A little google-fu reveals that a signal came from the same star system a few years back, but because it could never be found again it never picked up steam.

In December 2008, Dr. Ragbir Bhathal detected an unnatural “laserlike” signal coming from Gliese 581e, now we learn about Gliese 581g an earth-like planet that in all probability, supports life. Coincidence or Contact?

Does ET live on Goldilocks planet? How scientists spotted 'mysterious pulse of light' from direction of newly-discovered '2nd Earth' two years ago

So the signal came from 581e, and now 581g could have water on its surface. Well, the optimist in me hopes that we've found a type 1 or type 2 that has colonized its solar system. And the pessimist in me knows that even if my optimistic hope is true, I'll never know for sure in my lifetime.

And people wonder why I'm a cranky #head.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

The signal did not come from anywhere near Gliese 581.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Strange to live on.

A "year" slightly longer than a month. A side with perpetual daylight and a side with perpetual night. The "sun" not moving in the sky.

Oh poppycock, if you lived on such a world you would think that Earth is strange.

"You mean the same place changes from light to dark?"

"The sun appears to move across the sky because the planet rotates?

"How could anyone live there?"

Although a tidally locked planet makes me think that intelligent life could never evolve there, Jeff Goldblum offers sage advice regarding life...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
It's Fox News, therefore at least considered with a high level of doubt. Could you post their sources, if mentioned?

Are they proposing a war to "bring democracy"?

Fox News is no less credible than any other MSM news station. The fact that other news stations propaganda has convinced you only they speak the truth ....

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Strange to live on.

The concept is begging to be a sci fi/fantasy novel.

Set 300 years in the future on this new planet, structured only of the elites and the surfs, the latter not allowed out of their "dark" realm. Maybe even evolved into a slightly different breed of human, perhaps even with superpowers, from constant exposure to sunlight vs. virtually none at all.

I like it

Seriously though, pretty exciting to think about.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Strange to live on.

it would be interesting to see an inhabited planet with that setup. The level of growth in the terminator would be insane. We talk about California and how you can go from snow skiing to the beach in a few hour drive. How cool would it be to be able to go from pitch black to constant light ina few hours?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
It's Fox News, therefore at least considered with a high level of doubt. Could you post their sources, if mentioned?

Are they proposing a war to "bring democracy"?

Fox News is no less credible than any other MSM news station. The fact that other news stations propaganda has convinced you only they speak the truth ....

then what is trustworthy?

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

We do that everyday.
You can also do it in a jet.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
It would be cool to find out there are humans living in our twin planet. Then when we finally meet in the near future, we can declare war with them, take their natural resources, put banks all over the planet, and enslave them. Yay, I can't wait...

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

It's FOX... I'm just waiting for them to announce that the beings who occupy that planet are dirty liberals who need to work harder to get to Earth.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
Not too excited about this thread. They've said this many times...

"The New Earth"

"A new planet was found 25 galaxies from Earth that might be able to sustain life. The temperature is just right on the planet."

"It'll take us 100 years to get there. So we'll never know."

25 galaxies away???

100 years?

ahaha

the closest star is rougly 4.3 light years away. the slowest(fastest) method we have in theory is ion propulsion and the maximum speeds it attains is 56,000 km/hr (35,000 miles/hr).
It would take 81,000 years just to get to the closest star using that method.

the fastest we've ever been able to achieve is a maximum velocity of over 240,000 km/hr (150,000 miles/hr)
at a constant speed of 240,000 km/hr, it would take 19,000 years

"nuclear propulsion at 5% the speed of light (or 5.4×107 km/hr). assuming a spacecraft could travel at these speeds, it would take a Project Orion-type craft approximately 85 years to travel from the Earth to Proxima Centauri."

85 is the bare minimum and that's still 200 years away technologically speaking.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

We do that everyday.
You can also do it in a jet.

Phage, every time I see your posts, I think of this "de-motivational" poster. If none of you have seen these before, they are priceless....

www.despair.com...

Edit - sorry or this one...

www.despair.com...

edit on 29-11-2011 by matadoor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

Ironic.
I'm a hang glider pilot.

edit:
Ironic.
I sometimes go to the beach.

edit on 11/29/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join