It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alright Girls...What Do YOU Carry in Your Bug Out Bags?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
These are super light and useful for the elements, great addition to a medkit, imo (again, I have several people to care for, so my medkit must also include emergency gear if it's all I can grab):

Helter Shelter

Thermo-Lite Bivvy

Two Person Survival Blanket

Yeah, I see what you mean about the single bag. I definitely get as compact as possible packing for multiple people.

Basic fishing: YoYo Reel.

But, really, I can make do with anything I can find. I'm pretty good about fashioning clothing from plants or pelts and shelters from plants and rocks, so that's not as much of a worry to me. I really only need the very very basics to make my life easier if I have to run, but do see the point in being as prepared as the situation will allow.
edit on 11/20/2011 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

That yo-yo reel is cool! And small! Wonder how good it works?

I don't know what your climate is but it can be brutal here. My kids are in their upper teens now and have their own backpacking gear so that is so much less for me to worry about. I can't imagine having to bug out with little kids, or what I would even do.
I always think back to Hurricane Katrina and what those families needed...was just water, first aid and protection from the elements. I imagine if I had a big family that's what I would do.
And your right, making an easy 3 sided lean to with trees and tree branches is quick and easy shelter. God, the kids made one in the woods 10 years ago and the thing is still standing!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Survival in Northern forests often requires the felling of multiple trees and there is no better easier way than a good axe.

I was just going through and re-reading and writing down you guys tool suggestions and I cracked up when you said this. We have had so many ice storms that every 10 feet of the forest has a downed tree- what a mess it is up here. I could build a log cabin of Maple just on the downed trees. Free firewood anyone?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
well i tried to find a funny and relative pic, this was all there was.....

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
well for long term survival i guess a few of these wouldnt hurt at least for the female members of this site found this researching other survival storge ideas and i rembered this thread so i figured id post it here www.drugstore.com... i guess its what women used before the invention of pads and tampons and as those eventualy run out these could be a better alternative to any thing else

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by moondancer811

I bought one of these for a backpack, and have been slowly filling it with things I might need. It seems like hygiene is more important to me than some of the guys. I also avoid heavy things.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Nice list you put together Moondancer!

I would add a pair of telescopic walking sticks.

They come very handy:
- for walking in uneven terrain, (substitute my bad knee),
- can serve as makeshift tent / tarp poles,
- can be used to fight off animals or other nasty creatures
- make good fixation in case of a broken leg/arm or bent joints (together with some cloth or duct-tape wrapped around)
- can be used to slam down fruits or nuts from branches which are higher up
- can be used to make a flag pole (together with a t-shirt) for rescue signals
- if you are into hunting, take off the top and the bottom and you have a nice blowgun

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by moondancer811
reply to post by ottobot

That yo-yo reel is cool! And small! Wonder how good it works?

I don't know what your climate is but it can be brutal here. My kids are in their upper teens now and have their own backpacking gear so that is so much less for me to worry about. I can't imagine having to bug out with little kids, or what I would even do.
I always think back to Hurricane Katrina and what those families needed...was just water, first aid and protection from the elements. I imagine if I had a big family that's what I would do.
And your right, making an easy 3 sided lean to with trees and tree branches is quick and easy shelter. God, the kids made one in the woods 10 years ago and the thing is still standing!

Yep, first choice is to shore up and hunker down.

I don't know if that YoYo Reel works or not, haven't used one yet. But, a small roll of fishing line is extremely useful (fishing, snaring, alarm system, even sutures...), whether or not attached to a reel. What I really want is a 12-15" fishing rod/reel set, the kind that ice fishermen in Norway use. I haven't been able to find one that looks reliable, though, online.

A lot of useful tool suggestions in this thread, definitely will take under advisement.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Here's a great saw that only weighs 3.4 ounces and can cut branches up to 5"
www.knivesplus.com... (gerber folding saw)

REI makes a rain poncho specially designed to go over tall packs -

www.rei.com...

I can't really make a good recommendation on axes or hatchets. There is a book called Bushcraft or Northern Bushcraft (original title) by Mors Kochansky. He has an excellent chapter on axes that will give you all the info you need to make a good choice. Buy the book, there's so much more of value in it - axes, saws, knife sharpening, snow shelters, bough shelters, etc.

Cheers,
ATA

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by svetlana84

So true! I do have a set of trecking poles, they are 12 years old now and but it's time for some new ones.
I never thought of the blow gun.
Like you I have bad knees. I spent a lot of time hiking back in the late 90's- 09 and it did a number on them. Plus, I like the momentum they give when walking long distances and up mountains.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Love that backpack. I wish mine was camo colored although that one is 5 pounds. Probably because of the padding. Great choice!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

That would be another topic to discuss: color of things.

I once had a camouflage colored pocket knife, lost it, because the camo was to good,
and a black torchlight - lost it. when do you need a light ? when its dark! So go and try to find your black light in pitch black night

Since then knife and light are covered with bright yellow ductape.
As well bright clothing comes in handy when you have an accident and call for emergency.
I like the tents and tarps to be camo though, for discreet camping on land which is private or else not made for camping, and it's great for spotting and shooting animals. Shooting with the camera, since i am vegetarian.

And back to the knee issue: i also have a knee brace made out of neoprene with velcro to strap on, they are good in supporting the knee, and come handy when it gets cold, especially on a motorbike, where the knees are very exposed to the wind.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I live not far from Mors. His bush survival courses were second to none. His book "Bush Craft" (used to be titled "Northern Bush Craft") is my favoright survival guide. You won't find a more practical guide to living in Northern forests.

Back on topic, I weighed my North 49 Mini Axe for you and it came in at 434 grams (0.957 pounds) with the sheath. This is after grinding a new edge into the blade which removed a few grams. In comparison my regular wood handle hatchet weighs 918 grams (2.024 pounds) with the sheath.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Oh, yes! I bought it already, much lighter than I thought it would be and I've been "playing" with it while chopping up kindling for the wood stove. Good call.
Thanks so much for the great advice.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

You have a couple options with ground cloths. One is to use Tyvek, and often can get that free from a construction site. Weight, about 5-7 oz, depending on tent size. Another option is to use Gossamer Gear's 1.5oz poly sheet- although not super tough, will help protect your tent bottom from all the fun stuff that may cause it harm. Cost is cheap- 8 bux for 2 of them, and one will fit under a 2 man tent. Carry the extra for extra weather protection for yourself if needed. Another option is to use silnylon and make yourself one that fits your own situation. Silnylon is lightweight, relatively tough but not as cheap as the other 2 options.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Nice pic!! I know that spot- have hiked it myself.

As for what I carry to stay lightweight, but not ultralight, is as follows.

Backpack- ULA Circuit....plenty of room and tough! Has rear pocket, side pockets and 2 hipbelt pockets that are of a decent size. Weight- 2lb 2 oz.

Sleeping bag- Marmot - I own 2, a Helium 15F, and a Coulior 0F. Have had these bags out under various conditions, and they work great!

Sleep mat- Exped ultralight for weather above 30F, and a Exped 7 Downmat for cold weather. Ultralight is 17 oz, cold weather mat, 2lb.

Tent- Henry Shire's Tarptent- I own 2, one a one man tent for solo trips and a 2 man for when hubby and I want to get out together. The one man tent weighs in at 28 oz, including pole, stakes, ties, and bag. The 2 man weighs in at 2lb 4 oz, with everything included.

Stove- Snow Peak isobutane stove, for survival have a MSR universal type stove which is a bit heavier but can use any number of fuels.

0.9 Litre titanium cook pot w/lid an cozy

Knife- small multi knife 1.5 oz

Clothing- Patagonia underwear, tops #3, bottoms #3 and #4 for cold weather. I wear zip off pants as a rule or shorts, merinino wool sox, long sleeve shirt in a synthetic material, and jacket with 800 weight down- I own a lighter one for cool weather, and a "parka" with hood that weighs less than 2 lb but has been tested down to -45F for the really cold stuff. Wool based hat and down mitts.

Hiking poles for assistance up hills etc....

Boots- I don't buy into the hiking shoe trend- they don't provide enough support for one's feet. I use a 3/4 boot by Merrill, which needs virtually no break in and still is around 2 lb for the pair.

Headlamp to be able to see at night, with various settings. Extra batteries.

GPS- Oregon 400T-topographical GPS with long lasting batteries. Compass for backup and mapset.

Rodent proof food bag- 2 oz, Ursak, 8 oz for bear areas. 50 foot of parachute type cord.

medical kit- I assembled this myself from my own supplies at home.

Duck tape and fishing line- can be used to repair just about anything. I wrap the duck tape around my hiking poles and the fishing line around my match container and secure with piece of tape, and a couple of needles, one big, one fine.

Food- when hiking I generally take my own dehydrated food, as it's a healthier way to go, and I have dietary issues. (colitis and diverticulitis plus reflux disease.)

Female issues- have none anymore-- yay! Toiletries include a small package of kleenex (purse size) and a bandana in a small baggie, that gets rinsed out daily.

Small bottles of deet, bio soap.

I try to travel as light as I can, so that I can put on the miles vs being comfy.

The reason I chose Exped for my sleeping mats is that Thermorest ultralight ones will crackle all night, leaving one without sleep, and the Exped down mat is used for trips to Everest. It actually bumps up the temp rating on your sleeping bag significantly.

As I said, while I'm not an ultralighter, I do my best to keep things as light as possible. Why be a pack mule if it's unnecessary? My list just includes the basics. I may have missed some things, but thats what I generally carry on a long hiking trip.

Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in.
SK
edit on 11/24/2011 by SweetKarma because: added some info.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join