It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alright Girls...What Do YOU Carry in Your Bug Out Bags?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
So girls, we hear a lot about the guys BOBs and what they are carrying, what do you have? I know mine is A LOT different than the guys
Most of my gear is the same I use for long term backpacking. It's seen about 1800 miles, with the exception of shoes and socks. clothing, shelter and ability to make fire and protect myself are the most important things to me.Finding food is easy. I usually just carry rice and oats and the rest comes from wild plants and fish.

I'm 5'2" and 110-115 pds and can carry about 45 pounds comfortably. I'm not an ultra-lighter but I like to be able to run if I need too. Everything I carry is based on weight. It's for moderate New England climate- 35 degrees to about 90 degrees. Comfortable 50-75 and only light snow.

Backpack
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone- it is super light at 48 oz
www.prolitegear.com...
I have this old version but it's broken in and still awesome (with numerous repairs)New versions are available but the upside of this is that you can get it pretty cheap used. I do not like that it has no outer pockets

Granite Gear cloud pack cover - 3.4oz
I have it and use it but it's not great. Water pools and drips down my back. Still not sure if there is a perfect pack cover but I'd like to try a new one?

Feminine Hygine- 2 oz
The worst thing in the world is to have your peirod out in the bush, it's so inconvienent to carry pads and tampons. I use reusable cups www.mooncup.co.uk... and you can make your own washable pads, heres a pattern, you don't have to add the snap. www.icemoonstudios.com...

Sun Hat- I like the lightweight ones that pack easy www.sundayafternoons.com... this is what I have.2.7 oz Is the perfect sun protection hat. Hands down. Ugly as can be though

Rail Riders Eco mess sunshirt 6 oz-
www.sunproof.com... Again, ugly but the best I have found for sun protection with ventilation and I love it.

Icebreakers Womens Sport320 Nomad top -

LOVE, LOVE this. Made of wool, keeps you cool and warm with a hoodie, which I think is the best part. I got mine on eBay for $40.00 used. www.bing.com...'s+Sport320+Nomad+Top&lp q=Icebreaker%20Women's%20Sport320%20Nomad%20Top&FORM=HURE

Mountain Hardwear Unisex Kilt -
www.amazon.com... Ok, I realize it sounds weird to want to wear a skirt in any outdoor situation BUT it is nice to get some air when your walking non-stop and for only 5 oz it's well worth rolling it up in the pack.

Patagonia Thermals -
I use a mid-weight top and bottom, and a Capilene 3 top and bottom.In NE it may be 75 during the day and then 30 at night.

EMS balaclava
Made from a lightweight Capilene type material. Great for the really cold nights.

EMS Convertable Mitts www.ems.com...

Shoes
Montrail Womens Mountain Mid- I have 500 miles on mine but in a rainy climate these would be pretty toxic by now. I'm hard on shoes, I need really good shoes.

Socks - wool. I change them every couple of hours and just swing the old pair on the pack to dry. Everytime I break I take off my shoes and socks off to get some air. Blisters suck.

Shelter-

Gossamer Gear Spinntwinn tarp 8 oz gossamergear.com... - This is pretty expensive for a tarp shelter but I got mine at a bug out sale for $25.00 (the advantage to living almost at the end of the appalachian trail) Love it and it is weightless at 8 oz. It came with the Gossamer Gear Spinnsheet ground cloth 4.2 oz it's not the most durable thing and is duct taped in quite a few spots. I should replace this.

REI Quarter Dome T2 tent about 64 oz-It's a heavy tent for backpacking but I like the luxuary of it. It is freestanding, which makes for quick set-up, and the tent body is nothing but net with a bathtub floor. You can sit up in it and it held up fine in a snowstorm.

Sleeping-

Marmot Helium Womens down sleeping bag 29 oz www.backcountryedge.com...
This is the best I have ever slept in, but it is rediculously expensive if you can't find a good used one. You don't even need any shelter on a dry night under 30. It's wonderful.

Cooking-
Etowah Outfitters alcohol stove 3.6 oz- www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com...
A fantastic alcohol stove. Fuel: denatured alcohol or yellow Heet bottle.

MRS Titanium Teapot- www.trailspace.com...
A fantastic little pot! It holds about .8 liters and is just enough to cook a box of rice, or oats. The alcohol stove handily fits inside the pot.

Polar Pure iodine 3oz
I decided to go with Polar Pure for several reasons. The first is economy. One bottle will last a hike of 1000 miles. Back in the day I treated all water and occasionally pre-filtered with a bandanna. However, iodine does accumulate in the body and can cause problems. For this reason, I often allowed untreated water to warm up before treating it as this meant I could add less iodine. I swiped chlorine dioxide tablets from hiker boxes whenever I could to change things up, and left towns with plenty of tap water. I don't always treat water in the mountains since there are many fresh springs. *shrug* In any outdoor situation you just do whatever is easy at the time. I've been sick a couple times

Other
Leki ultralight titanium trekking poles...4000 miles and still going. Springs are getting shot now though.

Yaktrax ice grippers- www.yaktrax.com... These have been life savers in NE ice.

I carry and love Rugar sp101 .357 I really need a good knife though
edit on 19-11-2011 by moondancer811 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by moondancer811

And here I thought you were going to say that you carried a feathered dress in your BOB. (reference to your avatar)

If you are looking for a great multipurpose knife, I can't recommend the Bushman Bowie enough. I've convinced several females to pick one of these up, based on it's utility in a camping/survival situation, but also for the fact that it is my main cooking knife. Not only can it withstand rugged usage, but is thin enough that you can slice a tomato to paper thin with it. Because you are concerned primarily with weight in your bag, I think that it would be an excellent fit for you... except you seem to buy the most expensive components you can get, and the knife only costs about 20 bucks. One suggestion I would make though, is to get a bicycle handle grip, and fit it to the handle, as it has no purchase, and is very uncomfortable in the cold otherwise.
More on topic, I've suggested to many women that they either buy, or improvise a device like THIS to facilitate disposal of liquid excretions while in the bush. I've been thanked several times for that suggestion.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

Bahahah, nice!

My idea of bugout gear is mostly hunting, trapping, foraging, and shelter oriented. I don't care about brand names and whatnot, I just prefer to be prepared for a variety of situations.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

My wife carries what I tell her to.

No really, we basically have halfpacks.
Both have the mid size A.L.I.C.E. packs.
She has some gear and I have some as well, so if we get separated, were screwed.
But then again if we get separated were screwed also, if you get the point.
But maybe I'll have her put a sammich in there for me.

That'll go over well.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Where's your fire starters, Rope, Medkit (even a mini one will do), Super glue, duct tape, tools , etc? nice bob, but there's alot of stuff you left out.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Maybe she's preparing for if she had to run, not necessarily for potential long-term survival?

I don't know, I was kind of wondering the same thing... flint, rope, medkit, canteen, knives, & a small pot are the first priority for me. Guns are nice but not very practical for long-term survival away from a town, I'm more into making my own weapons. Basically anything else (clothing, etc) can be made by hand down the road.

I'm not sure of OP's situation or plans, though.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
It's good to see the ladies' opinions on survival topics under discussion. You have some nice gear, I especially envy that Marmot bag

I find it easier to carry a rain poncho/shelter half than a tarp and raingear. You can also wear it over your pack eliminating the need for a pack cover as well.

When in doubt just check what the Military uses - it's always multi-purpose and field tested for reliabililty.

As for knifes I've always used the Swedish Mora knife - cheap and well made plus very light - www.swedishknives.com...

For New England it would be sensible to carry either and ax or a good hatchet. Survival in Northern forests often requires the felling of multiple trees and there is no better easier way than a good axe.

Other must-haves in my kit are:
Stainless steel canteen cup (mil. issue)
Set of old electric guitar strings for snares
Magnesium fire starter
PUR hiker water filter
First aid kit (plus eyewash/cup, dental emergency kit)

You're right. That is one ugly hat!
But practical

Ugly good!
edit on 20-11-2011 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Interesting little alcohol stove. I have not seen that one before. I've had good luck with this little Trangia burner as well as a couple of homemade "penny stoves" that I've made over the years. Trangia makes a lot of great accessories to team up with their burner. www.campsaver.com... I like the simmer ring option on this stove. Love the cheap and plentiful fuel for all of these alcohol stoves.

As far as knives, the Moras are excellent, durable, hold a good edge, available in many configurations and CHEAP enough to buy several.

A tried and true Bush knife that comes at a reasonable price is the Becker BK-2 Campanion knife. It is now made by Ka-Bar and can be had for around $70 www.hedgehogleatherworks.com... I have an older BK2 that was made by camillus before they closed shop. The designs of all of Ethan Becker's knives were so solid and reliable that KaBar picked them up. It was a good move. The only bad thing I have heard about the KaBar Becker is the new sheath. My old one is solid but the new one may grab the edge as you draw the knife. Plenty of aftermarket kydex and leather options are available.

Anyway, good stuff. It's always nice to see things from a ladies perspective that I can pass along to my wife. Especially, with the feminine hygiene products. I'll have to add that cup thingamajig to the supply list. Yikes!

Be sure to add redundant fire starting systems to you kit, possibly a signal mirror, howler whistle etc etc. Looks like you've got things covered.

edit on 20-11-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

Oh my goodness! That pee cup is awesome. I have to get one, it says it's flexable too...reminds me of an oil funnel, too funny. That's the best womanly suggestion I have ever had from a guy.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

All my gear is for backpacking and not something that sit's in the closet. You get what you pay for. (I think I'll replace with army clothing after these wear out) It gets used and abused every summer. We walk out the door, hit the trail and won't step foot in a town for weeks. I used to buy cheap gear and it would rip and tear, and forget it, once stuff gets wet enough it start tearing at seam...wasn't worth it, for me at least. By the time I got home I looked like a roll of duct tape with holy shoes, blisters, sunburn and chafted legs.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama

Where's your fire starters, Rope, Medkit (even a mini one will do), Super glue, duct tape, tools , etc? nice bob, but there's alot of stuff you left out.

I didn't get into that, I figure everyone knows what to get by now since it is over talked on every survival forum on the web.

I carry all the basics- multi tool, duct tape (put it on credit card, I hate the weight.) para cord, Shoe Goo, a complete med kit and sutures, flint, lighter and matches (I lose stuff so keep back ups), cotton balls soaked in vaseline, little mess kit, extra batteries, zip ties, crank solar radio that was the biggest waste of money, ect.
I probably need to fine tune this, I take it for granted that on the trail you can borrow things and barter for others.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
It's good to see the ladies' opinions on survival topics under discussion. You have some nice gear, I especially envy that Marmot bag

I find it easier to carry a rain poncho/shelter half than a tarp and raingear. You can also wear it over your pack eliminating the need for a pack cover as well.

When in doubt just check what the Military uses - it's always multi-purpose and field tested for reliabililty.

As for knifes I've always used the Swedish Mora knife - cheap and well made plus very light - www.swedishknives.com...

For New England it would be sensible to carry either and ax or a good hatchet. Survival in Northern forests often requires the felling of multiple trees and there is no better easier way than a good axe.

Other must-haves in my kit are:
Stainless steel canteen cup (mil. issue)
Set of old electric guitar strings for snares
Magnesium fire starter
PUR hiker water filter
First aid kit (plus eyewash/cup, dental emergency kit)

You're right. That is one ugly hat!
But practical

Ugly good!
edit on 20-11-2011 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

Ohhh...yes, where can I get one of those military ponchos that serve as a tarp shelter? Everyone is always talking about them. I hate my pack cover, and I am assuming the military poncho is big enough to fit over everything? How much does it weight?

I need a new ax too, something that closes up and stores well, have any suggestions? The one I have is really cheap, I can't even sharpen it. I wish they made a good light weight hand saw too.

Thank you!

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
@ jibeho

Awesome knife suggestions! Now you guys have overwhelmed me with them all.
I am assuming they are all good though, since you guys know what you're talking about. I like the above posters suggestion of being able to replace the handle to fit my hands. I have tiny hands.

As for your wife, check into the clothes I suggested, honestly. They have been tested to the max outdoors and have lasted through bad weather and abuse. I really think people overlook clothes to much. Unless she has some army gear she'll need rugged hiking/outdoors clothes that don't rub and chafe. Warm stuff too, I find women get clolder faster than the guys do so guys shouldn't be the ones to pick out the clothes. Women need different packs than guys as well, not sure if you and your wife do any long distance backpacking but I'd take a trip if you have not.

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys!!![
edit on 20-11-2011 by moondancer811 because: Corrections

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Oh and what's a good ground cloth that's light in weight? If I deduct the things in my pack now that need replacing, I only have about 8 pounds too add. I need to run in it still, so I don't have to ditch the pack.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
"we hear about boys and their BOBs...."

What makes them for boys? Mine has what any other male would want --
Survival is not gender specific.

--a .22, a crossbow, beretta tomcat....
Hand sanitizer, emergency calorie bars, edible plant book, rope, tarp, emergency blankets, zip ties, knife, fishing line, hooks, emergency crank radio/flashlight, waterproof matches, bendable non-flammable mesh screening, iodine tablets, firstaid kit, small bottle of bleach, needle, fire starter bars, ziploc bags, duct tape, chain hand saw, flare gun....

I think that's all of it. I may have forgotten a couple of things.....

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I know you're hoping to hear from the women here but since you mentioned that you are looking for a hatchet I wanted to suggest one.

I, like you, have to choose, build, or modify all of my gear based on weight. In fact, in a couple weeks I have to go up North and snowshoe into the Sub-Artic for a wildlife density survey and I'm doing what I can to trim whatever fat from my survival kit. When I have to carry a hatchet I carry the North 49 Mini Axe. It is the most practical small hatchet I've come across. It is so small that it actually fits entirely into the front pocket of my cargo pants. It is stainless steel and the shank continues all the way through the handle. The handle is a soft comfortable rubber and is bolted onto the shank so that it can be removed if you want to put the hatchet into a bench vise to file a new edge on it. By the way the blade has a beautiful hollow grind but, like all hatchets it needs to be sharpenned from new. I've purchased a few of these to experiment with and give to friends and in sharpening them have found that the anodized stainless steel varys between axes from very hard to ridiculously hard. North 49 isn't known for high quality gear but they really got it right with this axe. I pick mine up at Bass Pro for about $15 (even though it's not on their website for some reason).

Thanks also for your suggestions and notes about your experiance with different equipment.

By the way, I too endorse the Mora bush craft knives. Despite their low price, you just can't beat them and I often see the world class survival researchers using them as their mainstay knife as well.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by moondancer811
reply to post by ottobot

All my gear is for backpacking and not something that sit's in the closet. You get what you pay for. (I think I'll replace with army clothing after these wear out) It gets used and abused every summer. We walk out the door, hit the trail and won't step foot in a town for weeks. I used to buy cheap gear and it would rip and tear, and forget it, once stuff gets wet enough it start tearing at seam...wasn't worth it, for me at least. By the time I got home I looked like a roll of duct tape with holy shoes, blisters, sunburn and chafted legs.

Yeah, I didn't say anything about cheap, I'm just saying I don't really care about the brand itself. Meaning, if the quality suits my needs and tastes, I'm all for it - brand is not an issue for me. No matter what, you'll end up with busted gear if you're outdoors for an extended period of time.

I think what mostly had me scratching my head was the details of your list. For me, I have a few different scenarios to be prepared for and would take different sets of items depending on what is going on.

Also, I have several adults and children that I would need to ensure safety for, so I'm thinking about what I'd need to carry in addition to any children I might have to carry. I can carry 100+ lbs at any given time, but if I'm hiking 20+ miles under cover of darkness, I need as little collateral as possible.

My first priority is survival, I feel like my gender is inconsequential in an emergency situation.

Tier 1 - "GTFO", Stealth escape:
- All basics,

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Originally posted by dainoyfb

I love the way that hatchet looks! Thank you for telling me about it! Small enough, that's for sure. I am sure it'll add a couple pounds to the pack but I know I do need a better one, just in case. Your excursion sounds like a blast! I hope you'll pop in and let me know how it went. I love to hear about winter survival experiences, what worked and what didn't. I have some friends on another survival forum that live in Alaska, they always have great stories.

If you're trying to cut back on weight then start with toiletries.(if you've packed alot) All I carry is a half of a toothbrush, toothpaste and a big bar of antibacterial soap and toilet paper, taken off the roll, seperated and put in plastic bags deflated in between clothes. I'm in the mountains and we never lack rivers and ponds, I just jump in and exfoliate with sand and use soap. That's all I carry for personal hygene, sounds a little minimalistic but it's honestly enough if you utilize wild plants.
Have fun and thanks.

edit on 20-11-2011 by moondancer811 because: added thank you

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Originally posted by ottobot
I get what you're saying.

I think my basic point is that I want to carry all the supplies in your 3 tiers in one pack, for any of those situations. I want to just grab all my survival gear in 2 minutes, strap it on and run out the door.

I do disagree that womens packs and clothes are different between women and men. Survival is not, but gear is. Try running with an x-large mans pack as a small woman and you'll be lucky to make it a mile.

I have to choose lightweight, well planned gear that is still durable and keep luxuries like toiletries, flashlights to a minimum. I can't carry more that 45 pounds and still be able to run. It'll have to be something major for me to leave my house so I know that if I bug out I'm going to be pounding the ground to get out.
I can't ever be faced with ditching my pack because it was too heavy for running and I did not have time to stop and take out the least important items.

It's probably worthy to note that I live in the White Mountains and is some of the most brutal terrain you'll find on the east. It's all mountains, rocks and thick woods. One night out in the elements in November you'll most likely die of exposure without proper clothes and shelter. Have to travel light to survive here. On the upside there is plenty of things to eat and always fresh water. With the terrain, clothing, fire and shelter are the three most important things.

edit on 20-11-2011 by moondancer811 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This is what I mean about rugged terrain and why I need to travel light.

That's everything, including the tent on my shoulders (and coat) and sleeping bag on the back top (I like weight high up), cooking stove, clothes, first aid, mess kit, basic tools, basic supplies, water bladder and gun. I only carry rice and oats for food, wildcraft the rest. 45 pounds because my cold weather clothes are packed and the fishing gear is carried by my friend.
edit on 20-11-2011 by moondancer811 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join