It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so, on a scale of 1 to 10, how prepared are you?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Ready? your never going to be ready no matter what or when.

Prepared to meet my maker: 10 (he already knows im an ass.)

Prepared in skills: 9 (there is always something new to learn)

Prepared in supplies: 9.5

I wrote, printed and mailed the set of 3 survival booklets that people ordered from the nickel free papers in the 90s. Thats a long time to have been prepping. Over those years 30% of the gear has been replaced and upgraded with better tech. Another 30% was upgraded for weight reduction. Today im going after another load thats already been ordered and pre-paid. So I should have everything right? Nope the list is still 3 pages long. Most are things that didn't exist till a few years ago. Even then everything is extremely low tech, and 1880's. So 24 years later I'm still shopping and upgrading. Some people would say i'm at a 12. But I have a full sized whiteboard and folks in the know and when we run our thinking games.....its always never enough, of the right things for each type of process. Add to that we are all Grey and then the difficulty triples.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

Honestly, the only two things most people will never be fully ready for are biological and nuclear threats.

(second line)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I think I am ok on things for the SHTF...
Depends on what it is though.
If its a bio/nuke and your to close...game over!
it is all relative to where you are and what it is...overall...I am good to go.

Food
Water
Protection
Shelter
Tools/gear

its all good.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

depends on the flavor of the S and the size of the fan.

I think everyone should be prepared to survive 2 weeks without power at a minimum. For most people in the US, that's a show stopper.

I'm a systems engineer so I have a tendency to plan for the most likely scenario first.

Is it likely Russian parachutes will be opening over my house? Not really. I have finite resources and need to spend those preparing for the most likely events. Those are floods, earthquakes, tornadoes etc.

zombies? not so much.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
i live in toronto canada and come spring im out of here. i noticed alot of people taking backpacks and bikes or hiking. i have decided to travel simpler and faster (but only near water lol) so last summer i bought a kayak info (no breaking parts). i also notice people only packing for like 72 hours or so, i think im a 5 when it comes to supply and 6 for knowledge and 6 for mental preparedness. here is a list of my items.
hunting-
-pump bb gun info
-slingshot info
-knife
-sharpener
-snare wire
-pellets bearing extra bands

fishing-
-line 500ft 50p
-hooks x20
-weights x10
-bobbers x 5

building-
-axe inf o
-saw
-tarp x3
-utility knife
-foldable shovel info
-needles
-thread
-razor bladed
-para cord 200ft 500p
-zip ties

food/water
-bag of oatmeal
-pot set
-eating knife,spork
-bag to hold water
-water bottle filter set
-clean water tablets
-2 week dry food
-salt

fire-
-fire starter
-cotton
-mirror
-magnafying glass

navagation-
-maps
-compass
-radios x2
-wind up light

safety-
-whistle
-light
-lifejacket
-first aid kit (full)
-surgical kit (fix cuts)

clothing-
-hat
-full head mask
-wet suit
-thermal long underware x4
-thermal long undershirt x4
-thermal long shirts x2
-thermal pants x2
-thermal sweather
-waterproof light shell jacket
-waterproof light shell pants
-waterproof gloves
-sleeping bag

storage-
-20l dry bag x6
-80l dry bag x3
-small electronic dry bag x4
-seethrough air tight square storage box x2

sanitation-
-razors
-soap
-clothes
-sponge
-towel
-mirror

and the sas survival guide pocket size info

ok sorry to make it so long but there is still alot i didnt put in. this is most of what i am taking, i am only worried about taking food for a bit cause the wild is full of things when i learn how to take advantage of it. i dont plan to survive in the wild as much as my mind set is to explore and understand what i NEED, not what i want, and how to get it. i dont plan to take anything that expires or will be throwen away when done. pump bb gun so no buying co2, water bottle with extra filter, lasts a long time, kayak has lots of room so no need to carry stuff and travels with good speed (no gas). well thats my basics and hope all goes well with your survival gear,trip,and attitude stay safe and be prepared my friends.

edit on 29-11-2011 by m.red because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by m.red

I'm all for knowing how to make fire like a caveman, but I thought to myself: "um... why?"

So I bought like 10 packs of 5 bic lighters for $30 years ago. If I need more than 50 bic lighters... I'm truly fooked.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
By my reckoning, about a 5. All things considered I could live for about a year without help, six months pretty easily with not much change. My philosophy is to prepare for a supply chain disruption, not a comet strike. I figure that's enough time to get together with neighbors and pool resources to make the best of what we have left. We'd need to get a crop in within a year.

Be sure you have enough TP.

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tangonine

lol it will do but that is alot of lighters. you should get one of these i have one and there awsome, or similer lasts a hell of alot longer and less space.
it has sos coded, whistle, air tight, storage for twigs and storage for cotton.
firestarter

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by m.red
reply to post by tangonine

lol it will do but that is alot of lighters. you should get one of these i have one and there awsome, or similer lasts a hell of alot longer and less space.
it has sos coded, whistle, air tight, storage for twigs and storage for cotton.
firestarter

Very cool. Maybe that + my 50 bics and I'm on fire forever!

posted on Nov, 29 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
In regard to the OP, it depends. If you want to shelter in place for a few months, I'm a 9.

If I have to relocate, I'm a 7.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join