It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETA asks Turkey, TX to change name to Tofurkey...WTH?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The best way I ever saw PETA summed up was in their southpark episode when they where really loving their animals
they are misguided morons and are resorting to nonsense like this to get free press, don't give them the attention they crave and they will go away

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I doubt the good people of the Texas Panhandle are going to let a bunch like PETA tell them what to name their town. It is political correctness gone amok.

In the 1890s, the town was originally called Turkey Roost, for the wild turkeys who roosted on nearby Turkey Creek.

www.tshaonline.org...

They are celebrating the wild turkeys of the area. What is more animal-friendly than that??

If I were PETA I would run. I wonder how many times they have heard: "Son you better get in your truck and leave",

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
If PETA stopped doing things like this and the Super Tofu Boy game and the anti Mario game I might just have a little bit more respect for them but they just seem so childish. I mean I hate when people torture animals but PETA just wastes time with stupid stuff and it makes them look foolish. It just makes them look bad and people laugh at them for it.
If PETA want to take a stand to something they should do it more seriously and cut out all the sarcastic quote lines ect. It's like they're trolling people.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I understand where your coming from, but PETA is an extremist organization. Just yesterday I read an article here on ATS in which PETA was condemning the video game character Mario for wearing the Tanuki suit claiming that it promotes wearing fur to children, which is absolutely absurd.

I am 100% against the negative treatment of animals in our corporate society. These "farms" where megalithic corporations kill these animals are deplorable, I think we produce and eat to much meat in fact. I disagree with sport hunting and I disagree with people who wear fur as a fashion statement.

But do you not believe that there are farms which treat their animals right and try and give them as painless a death as possible? Do you not believe that some people hunt for food and use the fur to clothe themselves practically?

They recently released an ad reading, "Kids: If You Wouldn't Eat Your Dog, Why Eat A Turkey?"

To quote Samuel L Jackson "A dog has personality. Personality goes a long way."
edit on 17-11-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

But they arent talking about that, they are going on about cruelty to animals in computer games, never mind that 1000 times more people get shot in games.

Here they are going on about changing as place name, how is either case helping animals?

They are doing way more harm than good.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I'm just not sure about these people.......this has to be some sort of mental disorder that still has to be diagnosed or something.

Anywho, time for turkey tip......
Try adding a layer of bacon to the outside of turkey before placing in the oven. The fats of the bacon will create a nice shield to maintain moist meat. The bacon is not overpowering and doesn't taint the meat, and can actually add a wonderful smoked flavor to the turkey. Oh and you cannot try this with tofu, its against Canada Bacon Law....tofu is not a big plump juicy turkey.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I think most of you are forgetting what PETA really stands for

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

PETA doesn't just stand up against fast food chains or fur factories. They are against everything that treats animals in an unethical way, hence why they are against towns with names like this, or the mario video games. They are for the ethical treatment of animals in every place of our society and I agree with them. Animals should not be looked at as inferior to us. We share this planet with them, and they were here before us and will be here after us. They are living creatures just like us. With out them, we wouldn't be here, but they would be here with out us.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

That sounds great too, I love Tennessee bar-b-q, and this might sound like a good idea Thanks for the tip!

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

No, if you read through this thread you will see everyone cares about the human treatment of animals-especially after we are going to eat them, the least we can do is give them a quick death.
The problem is that PETA does too many crazy things that are off-the-wall, and seem like they are reaching for attention because no one pays any attention to them.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

I loved that episode. When South PArk pays attention to you, you know you're crazy, or really really cool.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

I've read the entire thread.

All I see are people chest bumping each other and posting turkey recipes.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Is this a PETA bashing thread or a turkey recipe thread?

I will admit, PETA bashing threads are a peeve of mine, and the the old worn out, "People Eating Tasty Animals" bugs me the most of all. No matter what I think of the message, it's just soooo played out and old. And yet there's ALWAYS someone who say's it as if they're the first person to think of it, or that it's clever enough to deserve a mention. Drives me nuts!

I'm not a PETA member. Never have been. I however do see that PETA addresses issues with regards to animal cruelty that really do need to be addressed. Animals get a rotten deal, they really do. And there are a lot of issues that PETA covers that are legitimate issues of horrible cruelty.

The problem is that they do silly stuff inbetween working on serious stuff... sometimes it's so silly that it defies logic and this drives me mad, but I am smart enough to realize that while PETA does some really idiotic stuff, this doesn't mean that everything that PETA supports is a bad idea.

What makes me angry is that I find there are some people who see PETA mentioned in an article and WHAMMO...hatred. No matter what the issue is, or how legitimate it is, their brain turns off and they practically trip over themselves to post the first "People Eating tasty animals" comment, or make snide comments about crazy animal people. I really thought people were more intelligent than that. Don't condemn the animals because you hate the messenger.

edit on 17-11-2011 by Anthropormorphic because: added a line

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I am all for the message and what they stand for, but fanatics will always cloud an important message. How is creating "Tofurkey" as an alternative to what they are against any better then a town named "Turkey"? On a moral level it should be worse to them, but its fanatics that put crap like that out there that muddles up the mantra.

Im an omnivore, not a vegan, and I have a right to be. I do not agree with substandard farming practices, and can only hope that the meat I buy from my farmers market treats their animals well. I do not wear fur, there's plenty of other attractive looking alternatives that aren't fur, and as a Canadian Im appalled by baby seal hunts every year.

Any money donated goes to my local humane society and never in their pockets. I don't agree with their ways of getting out their message and I think their focus should be put in other areas.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd

In the letter to Mayor Pat Carson, PETA writes:

In contrast [to Tofurky], virtually all turkey meat sold in the U.S. comes from factory farms, where birds are confined by the thousands to filthy, barren sheds. They are drugged and bred to grow such unnaturally large upper bodies that their legs often become crippled under the weight. These bright and social animals are denied everything that is natural and important to them, and at the slaughterhouse, turkeys are still conscious when their throats are slit.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

edit on 17-11-2011 by samlf3rd because: to add a link

I don't agree with the name change, but come on, that's some pretty shabby treatment of an animal right there.
It always pays to know where your meals come from, and not just the Supermarket.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

1. The waterbuffalo steak was a rare treat and gift from the local hmong village as there was a wedding earlier this week there that was invited to and attended. A waterbuffalo was butchered and shared by all in the village only done on special occasions to celebrate.
Am not about to offend my friends there by snubbing them and their culture - wild boar was also served all very delicious.

2. None here wear fur .. Too damn hot in the tropics. Clothing is either cotton or silk.

3. Yes animals should be treated well. But they are also part of the food chain thats life. No stores or shops out here the people hunt, fish and raise crops for what they need.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Wait until we can talk to sharks I'm sure PETA will use the machine to plead with the sharks to stop eating meat too.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

I wouldnt be surprised in the least if they do try something like that.. Just hope the poor sharks dont end up with indigestion..

Cant help but wonder .. If they even understand the basics of the laws of nature and the food chain..
Think like many living in cities or so-called 'civilisation' they think the animals are all cute, cuddly and eat only veggies.. They forget that many animals including humans are by nature predators and predators hunt, kill and eat meat to live.. Thats life

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Since we've gone off topic a little, doesn't animal welfare concern you at all?
It's easy to poke fun and ridicule those trying to make a difference (and I'll be the first to admit that sometimes their tactics do them no favours), but I really have no issue with the ethical treatment of animals.

Also, we're not predators by any stretch. Certainly not obligate predators. That's just a tired old "Margaret Meade-style" observation that doesn't bear scrutiny.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

there's alot that bothers me in the world - humans killing each other over their imaginary god or whatever idiotic excuse for the week they come up with to kill each other over nothing.. people placing money and material things over lives lacking any sense of compassion or humanity.. people whinging their 'owed' by society that are too damn lazy to work for what they need and think the world owes them a living... people who prey upon the elderly, women, children and disabled... people that abuse pets and animals...

Hunting is done for one reason to eat. Hunt only what is needed and dont waste it..
Am not going to change my diet just to make a bunch of clueless idiots happy. And damn sure am not going to eat that chemical laden, genetically modified rubbish that westerners claim is food. Have got sick after two bites when tried eating western foods..

Theres a hell of alot more problems facing humanity and if people like PETA want to change the world then they should first remove their heads from their backsides and think for once and come up with more realistic ways of doing so.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I don't have any problem with the ethical treatment of animals. I think it's an important topic that PETA keeps turning into some circus sideshow. Killing a rat in a video game that would kill you if you didn't kill it and Mario's Tanooki suit have *nothing* at all to do with their cause, hell, they aren't even real. Now, they're freaking out over a town in Texas called "Turkey" and want it changed to a vegan friendly name? I don't see what this accomplishes except reinforcing their place as the laughing stock of most of the country.

They are extremists, plain and simple. I'm convinced PETA's main goal is to make all animals herbivores and, eventually, demand that pets are allowed to have jobs and then argue that they should be paid above minimum wage and I really think PETA puts the lives of animals above that of a human being and there is something very wrong with that. If they ever truly want to be taken seriously by more people, they have to stop doing dumb S like this and the video games. It makes vegetarians and vegans look like crazy people as well as PETA as a whole. You want to protect animals? Start by protecting real animals that actually exist and not worrying about the name of some town in Texas that has been there for decades. It's just nuts and so are they. The organization PETA is nuts, not the idea of the ethical treatment of animals. They make it look like a big joke, though.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join