It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Open Letter to the Citizens of Oakland from the Oakland Police Officers Association

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

We represent the 645 police officers who work hard every day to protect the citizens of Oakland. We, too, are the 99% fighting for better working conditions, fair treatment and the ability to provide a living for our children and families. We are severely understaffed with many City beats remaining unprotected by police during the day and evening hours.

As your police officers, we are confused.

On Tuesday, October 25th, we were ordered by Mayor Quan to clear out the encampments at Frank Ogawa Plaza and to keep protesters out of the Plaza. We performed the job that the Mayor’s Administration asked us to do, being fully aware that past protests in Oakland have resulted in rioting, violence and destruction of property.

Then, on Wednesday, October 26th, the Mayor allowed protesters back in – to camp out at the very place they were evacuated from the day before.

To add to the confusion, the Administration issued a memo on Friday, October 28th to all City workers in support of the “Stop Work” strike scheduled for Wednesday, giving all employees, except for police officers, permission to take the day off.

That’s hundreds of City workers encouraged to take off work to participate in the protest against “the establishment.” But aren’t the Mayor and her Administration part of the establishment they are paying City employees to protest? Is it the City’s intention to have City employees on both sides of a skirmish line?

It is all very confusing to us.

Meanwhile, a message has been sent to all police officers: Everyone, including those who have the day off, must show up for work on Wednesday. This is also being paid for by Oakland taxpayers. Last week’s events alone cost Oakland taxpayers over $1 million.

The Mayor and her Administration are beefing up police presence for Wednesday’s work strike they are encouraging and even “staffing,” spending hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars for additional police presence – at a time when the Mayor is also asking Oakland residents to vote on an $80 parcel tax to bail out the City’s failing finances.

All of these mixed messages are confusing.

We love Oakland and just want to do our jobs to protect Oakland residents. We respectfully ask the citizens of Oakland to join us in demanding that our City officials, including Mayor Quan, make sound decisions and take responsibility for these decisions. Oakland is struggling – we need real leaders NOW who will step up and lead – not send mixed messages. Thank you for listening.

www.opoa.org...

So I'm glad that the Police Department responded to what's been going on in Oakland. What do you guys think?

Personally I don't know if the letter is a good thing or a bad thing. I don't know why I feel that way...I'm just not sure.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I would personaly love to know who wrote this letter and wether or not the majority of oakland police officers even knew about it being written.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Unfortunately,I hear alot of people on ATS say ALL police are bad,and if they show up to OWS they are Agent provocateurs. Just do a search.......

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Oaklands goverment is so upside down right now. The Mayor is so stupid. How and why the people elected her in the first place is beyond me.

edit on 1-11-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoNameBrand
I would personaly love to know who wrote this letter and wether or not the majority of oakland police officers even knew about it being written.

That's a good point. I wonder if it's a majority of police officers that feel this way or if a minority of them wrote this?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
well this certainly is an interesting twist...at least it would seem that the police themselves smell a rat,this has to be a good thing....should the mayor continue to send mixed messages it could be enough to tip the odds in the peoples favor as such.....

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Could be on the up and up or could be baiting "yall come on down be friends hold hands sing and dance" then boom "you are participating in an unlawful assembly"

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

it wouldve been nice to hear them address the situation with the officers who specifically abused the people, and what is going to happen to them, or issue some type of warning to other officers to be mindful of the force they use. Other than that I was quite impressed with the letter.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Great find, I feel bad for the cops, they are just doing their jobs.

Do not change your avatar because some cartoon lover thinks it is stupid, change it because you want to. Cant let the trolls win.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The letter was written by their Union. So I would assume that very few (if any) street-level Officers saw it before it was published.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
Unfortunatel, I hear alot of people on ATS say ALL police are bad...

Im still new-ish on ATS... but one thing I quickly learned is that generalized condemnation is spread like herpes throughout this site
no matter what topic is being discussed.

link   
It's funny, this letter was pretty much in response to everyone being mad about the violence.. Not one mention about it?

link   

No mention of why things went sour in the case of Scot Olsen. You would think if they were going to speak about anything, that would be it. Sounds more like a plea from then to not make the public hate them.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoNameBrand

Well, considering that the letter is posted on the Oakland Police Officers’ Association website and the open sentence says "We represent the 645 police officers who work hard every day to protect the citizens of Oakland"...considering that, I would tend to think that the majority of the officers endorse the letter; otherwise, they would not have put it up on their website. In regards to who wrote it...who knows, perhaps an individual officer...perhaps the officers drafted it as a group...perhaps their lawyer wrote it.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Hi, Drew....are you a real policeman?....If so, do your fellows know about this letter?....Did you actually SEND this letter?...and to whom?....We see your dilemma....but, you promised to "protect and serve" the people of Oakland...NOT the elected officials scampering like trapped rats, as this OWS Movement gains steam....I hope....no, I pray, that you and your fellows, all over this country, stand with us...the 99% is YOU, you said it yourself.....We march for you, your wife, and your children....please tell me what it is these politicians have done for you/us lately????...and promise us...again....that you WILL protect and serve.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join