It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is this Legal? Roadside checkpoints for terrorism. From the TSA.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I know sobriety checkpoints are legal but how is this legal? Seems like a violation of our fourth amendment rights if I've ever seen one. This is over the top and insane. TSA has gone too far this time. Can anyone explain to me how they can get away with this? I just had to write a legal brief in my law class (don't ask me for legal advice. It isn't college level.) about someone suing over the fourth amendment so it's kinda clear in my mind. How is this right?
edit on 10/21/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
1984 much

seriously, i've already invoked and learned what godwins law is today, i've got nothing worse I can say, but this is worse than other things i've seen...simply, the hell.

ed: show this to a stand up comedian because wow.
edit on 21/10/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsinaname

I just don't understand how this is okay...at all. Inspecting truck drivers randomly is not okay. It's there job it's not like they're just choosing to drive the trucks. Just no words. This isn't okay at all.

Speaking of 1984 I've never read it. Any good? I love books.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
The patriot act made sure of that unfortunately
Now they are going to start doing roadside tests in michigan for drugs!!!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
just don't wear your "my other car is in afghanistan" t-shirt and avoid bumber stickers like "al-qaeda or bust".

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Well roadside tests for drugs are okay. Think about sobriety checkpoints. That kind of thing has been legal for a while...this though seems a bit far fetched. THE TERRORISTS ARE ON THE ROADS!!! HIDE GUIZE!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
just don't wear your "my other car is in afghanistan" t-shirt and avoid bumber stickers like "al-qaeda or bust".

This is insane. I mean roadside checks for terrorism. This isn't even right...

Who do I message about this? It isn't in my state yet so no need to email a senator they don't care about their own people much less someone from a bordering state.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Folks, this is seriously insane!!!
Repeal the UN-patriot-IC ACT!!!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
what exactly are they going to do on a road? it doesn't make sense for terrorist MO to do anything on a road, transport of something maybe, but thats why you got customs, but then again, there is alot of stuff that disappeared from docks for example that huge stock of ammo that time, and the uranium the other time..

ed: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
reply to post by whatsinaname

I just don't understand how this is okay...at all. Inspecting truck drivers randomly is not okay. It's there job it's not like they're just choosing to drive the trucks. Just no words. This isn't okay at all.

Speaking of 1984 I've never read it. Any good? I love books.

I believe your question assumes the powers that be really care anymore what is 'proper' or legal in the short-mid term. Basically, what is legal is whatever they say is legal in the real world. It takes a lawsuit or criminal case to push it into court and get something declared as unconstitutional as it clearly was to start with...but that doesn't even happen in every case of abuse of power like this and if it DOES it may take years anyway.

The elected or appointed officials can never be held liable for passing or enforcing unconstitutional laws or regulations, however blatantly against the constitution they may have run. So, why should they care? They probably won't even be in office when all that finally gets worked out anyway....so it's a free ticket to do whatever they want. The only difference I see is that officials used at least care about appearances, and that is definitely not the case in modern America.

Terrible state of affairs isn't it?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Well roadside tests for drugs are okay. Think about sobriety checkpoints. That kind of thing has been legal for a while...this though seems a bit far fetched. THE TERRORISTS ARE ON THE ROADS!!! HIDE GUIZE!

Um, no, they have not been doing random DRUG searches anywhere and if you have proof Id love to see it. And how is any roadside check OK? You must not live in america and enjoy the same freedoms as me huh? Again, show me PROOF that it has been legal to randomly search people on the roadside for DRUGS!!!!!
edit on 21-10-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Upheld by the law back in the late nineties. Alchohol is a type of drug so roadside testing for drugs is relatively okay within reason of course. Have you never seen a sobriety checkpoint in your life? Also don't get all mad at me. I'm in agreement that this thing is stupid. I'm the one who posted the story in the first place.

I just feel that drug checkpoints aren't anything new and have been legal for some time. What's the difference between a drug checkpoint and a sobriety checkpoint? I'd assume nothing...

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Big Brother...

Way over the line.

Bordering on Gestapo tactics.

"Let me see your papers".

This should have people outraged.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Upheld by the law back in the late nineties. Alchohol is a type of drug so roadside testing for drugs is relatively okay within reason of course. Have you never seen a sobriety checkpoint in your life? Also don't get all mad at me. I'm in agreement that this thing is stupid. I'm the one who posted the story in the first place.

I just feel that drug checkpoints aren't anything new and have been legal for some time. What's the difference between a drug checkpoint and a sobriety checkpoint? I'd assume nothing...

Can I ask you a question? What happens when you ASS U ME something? Sir, you would be 100% incorrect that they can search your car or person without resonable cause without a warrant!!!!! Do you not know your rights? Guess not I bet the cops thrive on people like you

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Wait wait wait....before this gets out of hand there are already 2 threads on this topic. 3 now.
TSA checkpoints now on HIGHWAYS, buses and rails
TSA checkpoints on Tennessee highways!

AboveTopSecret Search Engine

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I've been through a few of them, they were no big deal. Stop for 5 mins, or wonder if there's a bomb headed towards a nuclear power planet, your choice.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Reasonable cause: "He/she looked suspicious."

Case closed.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

No checkpoints are legal even "sobriety" or "seatbelt" ones.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Why are you being rude to me? I didn't say they can search your car. Wait are we talking about them searching your car for drugs here? I'm assuming it means that they're going to check you to see if you're under the influence of drugs.

Also calm down and don't be so rude to me man. It hurts.
lol

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

...Then why do we have sobriety checkpoints?? If they aren't legal why do they happen and why did the supreme court rule them as legal?

I've been over this in school. Unless I'm wrong. Please enlighten me...I thought I was correct.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join