It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

48 Wild Bears, Tigers, Lions and Wolves Escape Enclosure.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I'm not too far from where this happened. And let me tell you, if I had woke up this morning and found a bear in my back yard, I would be eating bear for dinner. Don't get me wrong, I love animals. Just some taste better than others.

But on a more serious note.

You would see this guy on the local news at least once a year concerning these animals. Most of his neighbors were scared to death of the fact that the state would let this go on legally. Especially in an area where people live in close proximity to where these animals were kept.

Now you see this guy on the news this year. He has let the animals out of their cages and then shoots himself in the head over a pending divorce? This goes against his previous statements that he has taken every precaution to insure the public safety. When in fact his actions show that he was thinking only of himself and the need to fuel the most extreme case of animal hording I have ever seen.

I also see a lot of you on here complaining about the fact that the police have shot a lot of these animals. So let me ask you this.

What would you do if you walked out of your house in the morning to get your newspaper and saw a full grown Lion, Tiger or Bear looking at you as if you were a steak?

Would you turn to run away?

All I can say is good luck with that. You wouldn’t make it back up your driveway to call anyone. You would be breakfast.

That’s why the police had to do what they did. These animals are predators; they see no difference between you and a deer in the woods or an antelope on the savanna. You run, they pounce. That's what they do. So I can’t blame the police for their actions. They only had the public’s safety in mind. They had to do what they had to do. Which is their jobs.

edit on 19-10-2011 by mikemck1976 because: Needed to be spaced out for easier reading.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Why are so many people hating on Josh2009s? All he wants to do is take pictures of these animals... Leave the guy alone. I'm not so sure the animals would if they saw him snapping pics. Josh would be dinner.

Me on the other hand would love to be in that area! Bear meat is delicious! I'd be in my tree stand with my bow and probably a .308. Deer and Bear steaks at my house! I'd love some Bear jerky right now!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by KawRider9

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be out there without a gun. But shooting them would be last resort.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by KawRider9
Why are so many people hating on Josh2009s? All he wants to do is take pictures of these animals... Leave the guy alone. I'm not so sure the animals would if they saw him snapping pics. Josh would be dinner.

Me on the other hand would love to be in that area! Bear meat is delicious! I'd be in my tree stand with my bow and probably a .308. Deer and Bear steaks at my house! I'd love some Bear jerky right now!

Amen! That's what I'm say'n.
Second Line.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by backfourty

I was raised in an Animal Rehabilitation Center for wild animals in Texas. I know! Yes, I know all about what man has done to the Natural World.

That is not the subject. These animals were all "managed" by a human! Ultimately, it is the person who owns this refuge that should be judged!

This is not about what man has done to the Natural Kingdom! These animals cannot be released in a natural setting because they do not know how to care for themselves and they likely do not know how to talk to one another. Most large predators are housed as individuals and do not excel in the "socialization" department outside of their keepers. They do not know how to properly intermingle with the wild animals of their same Species. They can never be released and most kill indiscriminately without actually being hungry.

Sorry, if I am defending myself but I really feel that you assume that I don't know this story intimately! I know the results! I know the costs! I even know what it is like to kill an animal because of people doing stupid things like this!

If and when SHTF, who is going to feed all the animals in all the zoos? The keepers? No! Unless they are going to become the alpha hunter there will be no shipments of meat, no shipments of medication, no shipments of supplies. It will be a caged animal and the keeper. He had best hope there are plenty of deer outside of people's needs in order to support them.

When SHTF should we release them? NO! Absolutely not! They should have a system in place right now for all zoos to eliminate all non-self-sustaining animals, especially predators! If it is a peacock then just let it roam, but if it is a lion or tiger that would mean man or beast ultimately and like it or not an open space is not a wild space!

My worst fears are having an animal in a cage left to starve to death! I bet this is why he released them! He was an idiot but anyone that takes their own lives is an idiot because ultimately there is a bigger cage for those that do and it isn't in the Heavens!

I have thought about this scenario my entire life! It is heartbreaking on any level, but it was something we all knew and we all know!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
We never get this level of drama here. I'm in Fairfield myself, which is right next to Muskingum and can't help but look over my shoulder, when I go out to have a smoke.

It appears to be about over. I feel bad for the animals. The man could have saved his animals by dialing 911 before he took his life. Like Jack Hannah said, they have had calls from all over the U.S. to take these animals. The guy opted for an ugly way to deal with all this. He wasn't thinking right in the first place or he wouldn't have taken his own life.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
My kids' school was on a 2 hour delay. Been watching this all morning.

I think it is ridiculous the way they handled this!
We have wild mountain lions here. They shot a couple about 2 years ago in Granville, which is only about 10 miles west of here.

Crazy seeing all the ATSers that live so close.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
*****LATEST UPDATE*****

Only three animals remain. A monkey, a bear and a mountain lion. News story: HERE .

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by josh2009s
*****LATEST UPDATE*****

Only three animals remain. A monkey, a bear and a mountain lion. News story: HERE .

A monkey?

That’s just great!

Before you know it you will see a thread on here with the title:

"Bigfoot Sighted in Ohio"

With a blurry photo included.

Stupid monkey.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I used to live in Ohio 20 years ago. I feel the police are being excessively brutal. I don't see why the Columbus, and Cleveland zoo people couldn't have shown up at the police department with tranquilizer darts last night.
Zoos like the Columbia and Greenville zoos of South Carolina have empty space to take in a few animals.
I can remember the Columbus, Ohio zoo being spaceous and empty ten years ago.

When I lived in Northern Virginia at Winchester in the Shannadoah Valley we had bears, mountain lions, snakes, and cyotes. My neighbor saw a mountain lion run accross the road on her way to work. A mile down the road a man was mowing his yeard, he also kept bees, a bear sat on the edge of his property and watched him mow back and forth. Bears were reported and relocated back to West Virginia in the mountains. I sat at my computer desk one day and watched a hairless cyote wander aroung in my yard three feet away, he had manage and was not likely to make it through the winter.

Down here in South Carolina they were trying to breed the red wolves back on Bull's Island. The wolves wouldn't stay on the island, they swam to Charleston and were running around on the golf courses. They kept catching them and taking them back. They kept escaping. Finally, they put them in captivity at the visitors center.
The gorilla escaped the enclosure at the Columbia Zoo, and they caught him. He is 27 and was orginally at the Cincinnati zoo. So these animals can be transported around the USA.

The Ohio police are tough, remember the black riots in Cincinnati because they killed a suspect and beat on him? How about the Kent State event...gasing and shooting students? I am all for people being safe, but I don't think all the animals should have been shot dead. It sounds like they all thought they were on saffari. Tranquilizers and working with the critter control people might have recaptured some of the animals. I had a friend who was a female Vet in South Africa, she now is a Vet in England. She worked with the animals in the out back. She is just a tiny skinny short little lady. All life is precious.

Especially that monkey that is still loose.
edit on 19-10-2011 by frugal because: spelling

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mikemck1976

Hahahaha. You better bet I'm going to be searching for that little guy!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
That's pretty intense. I would be brining all of my pets inside knowing a grizzly was in the woods.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

If you are gonna scream about animal captivity, at least undertand the programs first. The scream of injustice by an unknowing peta member.

The majority of animals in zoos are not wild. Most are now captive bred. In other words, most zoos have an interconnected breeding program. Which is why that male tiger dissappears from a zoo for a few months, to return. And vice versa. Zoo animals are now bred, not captured.

There are a lot of animals the public doesn't see. They are rescued, or too nervous, or have an issue that prevents them from being on display. They are cared for and kept away from the public eye.

Zoos work with refuges. If animals are turned in that need to be rehabbed, the zoos don't necessarily put them on display, they will go to a refuge.

Seeing them in their habitat? Are you for real? Are you going to foot my bill for an African Safari so I can see elephants?

You can't educate people about animals if they have no idea what they look like.

Zoos now spend millions on one exhibit to try to keep it as open and natural as possible for an animal that has never seen its native habitat. They are education programs, hard to make people fight for the right for elephants if they have never seen one.
Here is the part where I educate you:

Are there intolerable zoos? Yes there are. They are usually readily apparent.

What you do want to do is support zoos that are AZA accreddited. For they have to go through very strict inspection in order to get the accrediation.

You can find your AZA zoo or aquarium here:

find your AZA accredited zoo

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
As anyone who knows me knows....I LOVE big cats...to me they are magnificent and beautiful. But they are also dangerous predators, and very soon, they will start getting hungry. When they get hungry, they will attack and eat whatever animal they come across, including humans. It is their nature. So as much as it would hurt, if I saw one in my backyard, I would shoot it.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

If you are gonna scream about animal captivity, at least undertand the programs first. The scream of injustice by an unknowing peta member.

The majority of animals in zoos are not wild. Most are now captive bred. In other words, most zoos have an interconnected breeding program. Which is why that male tiger dissappears from a zoo for a few months, to return. And vice versa. Zoo animals are now bred, not captured.

There are a lot of animals the public doesn't see. They are rescued, or too nervous, or have an issue that prevents them from being on display. They are cared for and kept away from the public eye.

Zoos work with refuges. If animals are turned in that need to be rehabbed, the zoos don't necessarily put them on display, they will go to a refuge.

Seeing them in their habitat? Are you for real? Are you going to foot my bill for an African Safari so I can see elephants?

You can't educate people about animals if they have no idea what they look like.

Zoos now spend millions on one exhibit to try to keep it as open and natural as possible for an animal that has never seen its native habitat. They are education programs, hard to make people fight for the right for elephants if they have never seen one.
Here is the part where I educate you:

Are there intolerable zoos? Yes there are. They are usually readily apparent.

What you do want to do is support zoos that are AZA accreddited. For they have to go through very strict inspection in order to get the accrediation.

You can find your AZA zoo or aquarium here:

find your AZA accredited zoo

well said and thank you. You are 100% correct and accurate.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I have to agree with fourty, you couldn't have said it any better nixie.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Disgusting solution from the police force, these animals lives are far more precious than that of humans in my opinion, typical american cops with guns, all they want is destruction

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by josh2009s

I honestly don't care what happens to them as long as the threat is removed. I know it's not their fault, but it's not a deer's fault it walked in front of a tree stand during hunting season. It is not a fishes fault that someone put a worm on a hook. It's not a cows fault we enjoy steak. People have to put people first, always. If you want these animals to be happy, then give them something to snack on.

I used to think like this....boy have i changed..

i find your words to be quite disgusting, imo. Less people with that mentality would be for the best..

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
ok so I just found a picture that was taken of the animals that were killed.... if your sensitive... DO NOT LOOK BELOW

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
These animals are endangered! These cops need to be charged with killing endangered animals! If the animal was shot in the back running a way, that cop that shot it must go to jail! This is an outrage. I’m P.O’ed right now! This is F’ed up. you don’t shoot animals in the back.
edit on 19-10-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join