It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Atlanta prepares for possible park eviction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Occupy Atlanta prepares for possible park eviction

downtown.11alive.com

ATLANTA -- After camping in Woodruff Park for 10 days, Occupy Atlanta organizers are preparing for a possible deadline to leave or face arrest on Monday.

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed signed an executive order last week to allow protesters to remain in the park legally until the Atlanta City Council meeting adjourns on Monday. The meeting starts at 1 p.m.

Occupy Atlanta will be joined by members of the Atlanta-North Georgia Labor Council for a "Solidarity Stand" at 4 p.m. on Monday.

At a news conference last Wednesday, Reed said he sympathizes with the protesters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 17-10-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
We are asking any and everybody to come out and take a stand. We need support. We need to be there in numbers that can't be touched. Last time we were set to be evicted, it was a turn out of near 1000 altogether. We need more than that.

They scoped us out last time. They examined how and where they would corral us. They examined our reaction to police presence. They noted our plans, and I can assure you that the police have been counter planning. They know that we plan to re-assemble after any and every eviction, by only a few at a time being outside of the law. They would like to get us all, so they don't have to deal with this tomorrow.

You've seen what happened to Boston. People who really want to see a change in this country, following in the footsteps of Martin Luther King JR and ironically, the mayor of Atlanta, Kasim Reed, by occupying, or settling into a public place to make a stand against those who think they own and run the people. If they succeed in removal, then this will give fire to the blaze that is police around the country moving in and removing protesters. We need every city that is currently occupied, to have an occupation the size of the wall street occupation. We need numbers.

So many people have declined to join in, but watch what is going on as if it's a soap opera. No sir/maam, it's not TV - it's the real life of people who don't know you, trying to fight for you, and your children. If you can turn on fox news for 5 minutes, can for 5 minutes, and c-span for 5 minutes and not see that there is something REALLY wrong with this world as it is, then all I can do is pray.

Your eyes take in the same images I do:
-images of a war shrouded in injustice.
-bailing out corps so they can kick you out of your house.
-possible wars with countries who have done nothing to us but talk.
-sending our troops all over the world.
-drone attacks killing us citizens.
-government organization planning terrorist attacks, and arresting everybody involved except for the true planners: the agents.
-states executing people whose guilt is still in question.
-education being the first up for budget cuts.
-police killing unarmed civilians. (happened 2 blocks from my house the other night. google: marta police and vine city shooting)
-police brutality as a whole.
-governments experimenting on citizens.
-the systematic "dumbing down" of an entire population.
-constant brainwashing attacks.
-false flags
-outlawing supplemental vitamins

I could go on for days, but the point is, we're American citizens. It's our duty to stand up against these things. If not, then that responsibility gets pushed off to our children, and becomes compounded by new injustices. My parents took to the streets in solidarity with Dr. King, so that their children, didn't have to worry about using the "colored only" restrooms, or the "colored only" DOORS. My parents new the importance of acting in the present, for the benefit of the future. I hope and pray that people in 2011 can see the importance in it as well.

downtown.11alive.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Stand alive, stand proud. Fight the good fight.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
What is the reason for eviction?

I can't take it seriously when people are being evicted for making a mess of a public area. It belongs to everyone, and if it didn't you wouldn't have had a place to protest or set up a base of operations. It's so silly to see people calling for 'solidarity' against oppression when the LEO and government is asking people to evacuate an area so they can clean it up for them

Like a single mom these days, and people say a nanny state is bad. Brush your teeth!

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

I can't take it seriously when people are being evicted for making a mess of a public area. It belongs to everyone, and if it didn't you wouldn't have had a place to protest or set up a base of operations. It's so silly to see people calling for 'solidarity' against oppression when the LEO and government is asking people to evacuate an area so they can clean it up for them

Like a single mom these days, and people say a nanny state is bad. Brush your teeth!

umm, yea, because the park is dirty...

do you know how well we keep the park clean? we keep it clean SO THAT THEY DON'T HAVE THAT EXCUSE.

the reason for eviction, is the same reason as Boston PD's, because they want this over.

I think if people got that "look down on everybody" germ out of their system, we'd have support where needed.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
stay strong guys!
i wish i could offer more than words
but all the way around the world
your brothers and sisters are standing with you
we can do this

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

umm, yea, because the park is dirty...

do you know how well we keep the park clean? we keep it clean SO THAT THEY DON'T HAVE THAT EXCUSE.

the reason for eviction, is the same reason as Boston PD's, because they want this over.

I think if people got that "look down on everybody" germ out of their system, we'd have support where needed.

I'm sitting here watching the protests in every major city and there's quite a mess no matter where you go. In fact, I recently visited Hermann Park and Tranquility Park in Houston, Texas. Hermann Park was immaculate, so I see your point. Tranquility was a disaster, and there was trash and other legitimate concerns for LEA and government.

The reason Hermann was so clean? The protest that was suppsoed to be there wasn't, and it was just a bunch of families and their kids isntead. So I guess the 1% is cleaner than the 99%?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

My apologies, I thought we were engaging in discussion here. The parallels I'm drawing to your protest right now are amazing.

edit on 17/10/11 by masqua because: Trimmed out uncivil quote

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
What is it with OWS and parks?
In what way does loitering in a park constitute expressing the discontent of the 99%?
Are you trying to oust squirrels or something because it's having no effect whatsoever on TPTB.
I know I must sound like a broken record but how about occupying government buildings? The Federal Reserve? The IRS?
Or, most importantly of all, Goldman Sachs?

but, maybe you're on to something with the arboreal rodent thing....
edit on 17-10-2011 by Aestheteka because: re

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

hang on a second, didn't you start a thread about when you went to the protest a day or so ago?
from memory you didn't even stop and get out of your car
so.... unless i'm mistaken, in which case i apologise
maybe you should get informed before you start talking smack against people who are actually there

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

ever heard of trash cans? no? well we, at Troy Davis park (formerly Woodruff Park) have those, and use them. We also have signs stating "KEEP OUR PARK CLEAN".

so get the # outta here.

My apologies, I thought we were engaging in discussion here. The parallels I'm drawing to your protest right now are amazing.

well, you're mistaken. you were just trying to tell me why you think occupy SHOULD disband. Some bogus reason like "they have to clean the park".... why should I waste time when my role in OccATL is to garner support.

if you don't support, then that's you decision, this thread isn't for you.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

maybe if people like you would get off their asses, we'd have enough people to stage an occupation of a govt building, and believe me, we've discussed it. but you wouldn't know that either huh? because all of your suggestions come from over the internet, and aren't brought up to the general assembly closest to your location.

if you have suggestions, get up, go out, and share them with occupiers, and help them boost their numbers so it's not just an easy arrest when they get there. as of now, you're not helping.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by decepticonLaura

hang on a second, didn't you start a thread about when you went to the protest a day or so ago?
from memory you didn't even stop and get out of your car
so.... unless i'm mistaken, in which case i apologise
maybe you should get informed before you start talking smack against people who are actually there

The protest was so small I drove around the whole thing shooting video that day, and I didn't get out (because I had a new hood in the bed of my truck and wasn't going to donate it to thieves) but I also didn't have to because the entire thing was contained in a small area that amounted to enough video to not even fill a 1 minute youtube video.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

no wonder your insight is so valuable. /sarcasm

you mean to tell me you didn't bother to get out of your car and TALK to a protester, but you have the audacity to get on line and bash them??? you didn't have the balls to get out and introduce yourself to them, yet you wanna talk # about what they do.. holy freaking crap..

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

You discussed it did you?
Did you put it to the vote and decide that the 100s of 1000s of people 'protesting' globally weren't enough to occupy a government building so instead stuck with the park idea?
I'm all for Autumn (Fall) colours myself.... The leaves must be magnificent.
Which one of you gets to dress up like Che or Fidel? Or, do you take turns?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka

You discussed it did you?
Did you put it to the vote and decide that the 100s of 1000s of people 'protesting' globally weren't enough to occupy a government building so instead stuck with the park idea?
I'm all for Autumn (Fall) colours myself.... The leaves must be magnificent.
Which one of you gets to dress up like Che or Fidel? Or, do you take turns?

key word is "globally". How the hell is somebody in Berlin gonna occupy Atlanta city hall? Let me know!?!
have you seen people travel outside of their locale to protest? let me know?!?!

[snip] man... THINK A LITTLE!!
edit on 17-10-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/10/11 by masqua because: Removed profanity

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Firstly, have you ever heard of The Jarrow March? They walked 300 miles to protest.
Secondly, you haven't noticed that all these protests are being evicted from parks because they are of lesser concern to TPTB than municipal sanitation?

Either do it properly or don't do it at all. When are you guys going to realize you're being played?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka

Firstly, have you ever heard of The Jarrow March? They walked 300 miles to protest.
Secondly, you haven't noticed that all these protests are being evicted from parks because they are of lesser concern to TPTB than municipal sanitation?

Either do it properly or don't do it at all. When are you guys going to realize you're being played?

listen smart guy, the closest occupation of large numbers, is gonna be at LEAST 800 miles from here, so tell me how your 300 mile example works? while you're at it, tell me why, you haven't gone down to your local occupation, and shared the idea.

i'll tell you, it's because you're not here talking to me to try to help the movement, you're just mocking it. if you gave a #, you wouldn't be on ATS tryna tell me how to make it better, you'd log off, and drive or walk down to your local occupation, and speak up.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Why would I go and stand in a park? What possible good would that do? It's the middle of October. It's freezing outside.
Do you even have a collective aim? Do you have an alternative system ready to replace the current failed one?
How far are you prepared to g for your beliefs?

"Give me liberty or give me death!"?

or

"Give me liberty or oh, okay, we'll let you clean the park, can we come back Tuesday?"

I hate to be so blunt because I do agree that the world needs changing in quite a massive fashion but there are alternate methods to the one you've been tricked into doing.

<<   2 >>

join