It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meat eaters rejoice! My recent discovery.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have had one of those accidental genius discoveries. We were recently grilling. After cooking all of the things we had planned on grilling, our grill was still at that perfect cooking stage. My husband asked if we had anything else to cook because it was a shame to let perfect coals go to waste. I searched all through the kitchen and all I could find was one of those funky Hillshire Farms summer sausage rolls that had came in a christmas box. You know, the ones that come with tiny jars of fancy mustard and a packs of crackers. So I slice it up and take it out to him. BEST thing I have ever had off of the grill. Like the savant brainchild of pepperoni, bacon, and sausage. We bought like 4 of the 2 lb. rolls at the grocers. We eat some every time we grill. We also grilled for a family function and served these. We went through 9 rolls. Couldn't cook them fast enough. So, if you want to give your taste buds a piece of heaven, then grill some Hillshire Farms Summer Sausage. A little of your favorite Bbq sauce jazzes them up nicely after grilling to the perfect crispiness.
You guys will wish there was a double flag button after trying this.

edit on 9-10-2011 by blivey because: Yum.....(eyes closed in sausage-y bliss)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Was it summer sausage that you used?

That's the most common in those packs. Never thought to try that one...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yes, it was their Summer Sausage. I never liked in the christmas boxes, but this stuff is amazing. The beef only roll sausage isn't as good on the grill and it costs about $2 more.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Do you just grill some slices up, like a grillee pepperoni? It sounds odd but I could see these being a good pass around toothpick type thing at a barbecue.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Ooh, I can't wait to try that. I really like summer sausage anyway. I usually just slice it and eat it with cheese and crackers. Never thought about throwing it on the grill, but I can see where that would be really good.

One of our standby toothpick party foods is a little crockpot full of mini smoky links covered with barbecue sauce.

I need to stay out of this forum, it always makes me hungry.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Esrever

Yeah, that is the great part. You can slice them thick or thin. Thicker has a softer texture in the middle. Thinner just gets super crispy.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
We used to slice the summer sausage and grill them in a skillet on the stove top when I was a kid. So good! This post makes me want to relive old memories.

And lil' smokies in BBQ sauce are awesome too!

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

I never thought of doing them on the stove. Great idea! I love them with Sonny's sweet bbq sauce.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
All meat tastes better when grilled.
If you don't believe me grill some Spam.
It's delicious.
If that doesn't convince you grill a Slim Jim.
Holy #$@!#$ that's good.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by choppedbrisket

My husband would marry me all over for a grilled slimjim. Definately have to try this.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Yum! Just thinking bout it makes my mouth water. Can't wait to try it out.

posted on Nov, 18 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

edit on 18-11-2011 by tovenar because: to silly to print

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by blivey

I will have to try this should I receive this in a gift basket some time. I chose to comment because I find it amazing how easy it is to find a new dish out of no where. I personally love finding a creative way to even perhaps turn an old favorite in to a new one! Creative cooking is always a pleasant delight!

top topics

join