It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'No papers, no water’: The sign denying basic services to Alabama’s illegal residents.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by j.r.c.b.

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Originally posted by 4nsicphd

[

Lets hope that more states follow suite.

And what suite exactly do you want them to follow? The honeymoon suite? The bedroom suite. The world would be a much better place if the states would deny services to people who are too lazy to learn to spell.

Lazy is going to a foreign country and expecting them to speak YOUR language.

Lazy is going to a foreign country and demanding rights, even though you came in illegally.

Lazy is having multiple children in order to get welfare, food stamps, and free housing.

True story: While listening to police scanner last Wednesday,approx. 4 p.m, someone called in a 5 yr old little girl walking down a busy street crying. Apparently, bus driver dropped her off at wrong bus stop, because the girl could NOT speak a lick of ENGLISH. Meanwhile, a parent shows up at the school & says his 5 yr. old daughter never got off the bus...He did NOT speak a lick of ENGLISH....long story short, they had to bring in a translator & it was not until 10 p.m. before child & dad could be reunited because neither could speak English..Why send the poor child to an American school when she cannot speak or understand English. The horror of this is, a tragedy may have occurred. The little girl could have been kidnapped. WHY did the parents send this child to school & put her in such a dangerous situation..They could have taught her some English before sending a little 5 year old out into the world...I felt horrible for this poor child, just thinking about her walking down a strange road & crying because she had no idea where she was...

any idiot that allows a 5 year old child to travel unsupervised should be arrested for child neglect, regardless of language skill.

2nd line.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dembow
Next statement is only my opinion.

Some of you call illegals "criminals" and that's fine by definition i guess, but they are only because of their status and not because of their actions like a murderer, thief or rapist. Some label them "criminals" and think they are less than human. This is wrong.

Sorry, but you are wrong. They are considered illegals because THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW BY ENTERING THE US AND LIVING HERE ILLEGALLY! That makes them CRIMINALS! Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Try speeding 60 in a 35 and tell the cop that pulls you over that you didn't know the speed limit was 35 and see if that gets you out of a ticket.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I agree wit this, and I would support many tougher actions on illegals

if an illegal doesn't like it, they can go back to where thay came from and try to make that country a better place to live, or get their papers

I believe we should treat illegals in an emergency room setting , and offer them police protection from violence, but once they come in contact with the sytem, deportation should commence immediately

and we need to ammend the constitution to get rid of the anchor baby problem. I would ammend it to read that any child born within 12 months of the parents establishing residence AND applying for papers in this country is a citizen of the mothers home country

simple

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I wonder if that is how the Mexicans felt when they where fighting to keep their land? When the mayflower got here did the Indians ask for their paperwork? What happen to coming to America for a better life?
?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

I'm just saying it's not the same kind of criminal. What does ignorance of the law have to do with anything?
Just trying to say that having 'illegal' status doesn't mean that they're monsters or horrible human beings.

-"He's a criminal!!!"
-"Shoot him!!"
-What did he do?
-Crossed a line

link   
reply to post by jude11

Hey!! This was My Idea!!

Well, not exactly, but I do believe we should be detaining illegal aliens when they show up and try to get a driver's license, or utility services, or apply for a job, or anything else.

First, and most importantly, I believe we need an "amnesty period" where illegal immigrants are given an opportunity to become legal. Secondly, we need to expedite the process and make it very simple and quick to get a first Visa. Maybe a 1-year work or student Visa with little expectations, but they would be documented, pay taxes, pass a background check, etc. Lastly, once the amnesty period is over, there is no wishy-washy lenient enforcement. If you are illegal, and you are discovered, you are documented and deported and if you survive a second attempt at getting here illegally you will be held up on serious charges of invading our sovereignty.

We must have immigration, it is the backbone of this country, and it always has been. But, it needs to be done correctly. Anyone "sneaking" into the country is up to no good and needs dealt with. In fact, the borders should be armed, and one warning shot given, but if someone keeps advancing, we should defend our borders with lethal force.

ETA: (Read my Whole Thread for how I believe we should document folks, and deal with employers that hire illegals, etc., etc.)

edit on 10-10-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
It's sad that because some people have tried to escape horrible situations they were born into elsewhere, by coming here illegally, partly because our immigration system is completely screwed up and as inefficient as every other part of government, others would gladly deprive them of water, one of the most basic necessities for life.

The question of legal vs illegal should not be the same as life vs death. If you support not giving water to someone simply because they're here illegally, you also support the death of someone simply because they're here illegally.

Giving water to a thirsty man is not a problem giving him water and letting him stay in your country illegaly is. If he's that thirsty he will trun himself in and be deported on the spot.

America is no longer an untamed wilderness where every immigrant in the world can stake a claim and bash out a living, its a country that needs to defend it boarders and people from rampant immigration that is happening at the cost of its citizins.

I wonder how many people would be happy with immigration if there state said to them "For every immigrant we take in you pay a $1000 to help keep them" I bet there would be a massive cry to get them all out.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

I agree BadNinja...I was on pins & needles listening to this whole thing unfold...It was just too sad... Don't want to derail the thread, sorry OP.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I'm just saying it's not the same kind of criminal. What does ignorance of the law have to do with anything?
Just trying to say that having 'illegal' status doesn't mean that they're monsters or horrible human beings.

-"He's a criminal!!!"
-"Shoot him!!"
-What did he do?
-Crossed a line

No, they are not the same as a Child Molester, or a Bank robber, but they are still thieves. They steal from our taxes.

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
This is an EXTREME interpretation of the law which states you shall have no business transactions, essentially put in place to prevent hiring illegals.

As far as I can tell, this only (so far) involves one small town. Allgood, Alabama. (THE IRONY!!!)
Population: A little over 700.
Median Income: $ 29,000 (about)
Average age: 27
Demographics: 52% Hispanic. The rest are mostly white. Seems like African Americans left there a long time ago. Who can blame them.
www.city-data.com...

I doubt very seriously if this hateful action will be implemented statewide, or if so, in small poor towns, like this one.

I personally hope every county, city and state in America adopts similar laws. And soon.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I agree with you except on one point. There has been an amnesty period for years. Not officially, but unofficially. This has been an issue for years and it is a widely known problem, even among the illegals. The purpose of Amnesty is to give illegals a chance to conform to proper immigration laws or go home. They have had time to do this. Amnesty is over. Its time to fish or cut bait.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by elenag
reply to post by Destinyone

I wonder if that is how the Mexicans felt when they where fighting to keep their land? When the mayflower got here did the Indians ask for their paperwork? What happen to coming to America for a better life?
?

Dunno, my ancestors didnt legally immigrate until over 100 years later. We struggled and survived..legally.

Do not hold me resposible in any shape or form for what some dead soldier did over a century ago.

You are a fool for punishing the sons for the sins of the father.

Ask any LEGAL immigrant how they feel about illegal immigration...about the people who sidestepped the process that they worked so hard to complete legally.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

True.

But some people won't have the stomach for a tough crackdown without an official warning. I say for 6 months, we work on securing the borders while we also publicize a campaign to get people documented with no penalties. Part of that public relations will also be the new authorization for "lethal force" all along the border and new requirements for all public workers (from police patrol to DMV), and the new requirements for all employers to not only deny employment, but to also report the application. After that 6 months of publicity and infrastructure development, then we officially end the lenient policies and we never look back.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Well, (pun intended) it's about damn time. Again the state wants to police their own, And the Government tried to stop it. 25 million illegals in the US.. & some of you don't see that as a problem? Are you blind?

To me the most glaring problem is the border itself. We as a nation spend about 103billion a month to keep our wars/slash occupations going. As so we can "protect our borders" and keep the bad ole terrorist's out.

In the mean time , 25 million illegals simply invaded us in silence, by just walking across our pourous southern border. GO ALABAMA.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I agree with you. The system must change to accommodate immigration. The only thing i don't agree with is using lethal force. Lethal force for what? These are people not an invading army. Careful with upsetting people so close to your borders.

I ain't mexican but I'm sure they don't want to destroy your country, give them a chance to contribute to it.
Dominicans cross the Mona Passage to get to Puerto Rico (U.S territory) and the same issues arise: The dominicans are taking our jobs!!!!! The speak differently oh the horror!! Truth is...they come here to work and work hard. And most people that don't like 'em, don't like 'em just because they're dominicans.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Yes, I understand that. But give them a chance to pay taxes and contribute to the country. If they refuse to put their share, then yes, kick them out, no freeloaders. The problem is the system, not the people.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dembow

Sure, but how do we know.

If we make the immigration process simpler, and we set up satellites offices on both sides of the border, and we publicize our intentions, and we fire a warning shot, and they keep advancing, then by definition, they are invaders.

How do we know the difference between a pregnant woman and a terrorist with a bomb strapped to her belly? I think we should treat them all the same.

If a pregnant woman with little to no education can traverse the desert and enter our lands in poor health and with no training, then what is keeping the well-funded and well-trained terrorist groups and cartels out?

For 1, the cartels are coming and going as they please, and for 2, apparently Al Qaeda has no interest in coming across the border, because it would be extremely simple to pay off a cartel to get into Mexico and across our border with as much hardware as they pleased. The only reason we haven't been devastatingly attacked, is because Al Qaeda isn't all that interested in us. It certainly is not because of our stellar border security.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I agree with you. The system must change to accommodate immigration. The only thing i don't agree with is using lethal force. Lethal force for what? These are people not an invading army. Careful with upsetting people so close to your borders.

I ain't mexican but I'm sure they don't want to destroy your country, give them a chance to contribute to it.
Dominicans cross the Mona Passage to get to Puerto Rico (U.S territory) and the same issues arise: The dominicans are taking our jobs!!!!! The speak differently oh the horror!! Truth is...they come here to work and work hard. And most people that don't like 'em, don't like 'em just because they're dominicans.

this is not accurate.

By definition, yes they are an invading force. 2 men or 200,000 it's the same.
They do not want to destry this country, but they are content to rob it's hardworking people of their future.
they are no different than the greedy corps that use up our resources for their own benifit, with no regard to the people that worked hard to create the availability of the resources in question.

Im all for legal immigration.
There is a reason some do not immigrate legally. usually due to a previous indescretion.
address THAT for a minute.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by BubbaJoe
Do any of you actually realize that we took this country by force. Half of my family has been here since 1621 and the other half since 1850, does that make one half better than the other? What the hell is wrong with you people, those of you railing against illegals getting benefits have no freaking idea what it takes to get benefits, and trust me, illegals are not getting them, hell deserving americans cannot get them. Those of you screaming that you are an American, where there hell were your GGParents born, half of mine were born in Germany, most of you have no idea. I know when my family got here, where they came from, and what port they entered at, most of you screaming the loudest, your ancestors probably came here as indentured servants or criminals. Wake up people, folks want to come here, because this is still a great place to live, as long as I don't have to deal with some of the ignorant that freely spout their crap on this site.

That was then... this is now. Borders have been set and laws have been written. Civilized society has flourished. There is no more unconquered land, hell, even Antarctica has claims on it.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Yes, I understand that. But give them a chance to pay taxes and contribute to the country. If they refuse to put their share, then yes, kick them out, no freeloaders. The problem is the system, not the people.

I'm done with giving them chances. Most work for cash so there are no taxes taken out, and yet they still have the gall to use MY tax money. I'm all for LEGAL immigration. It is was made our country the greatest and most prosperous country in the world. Illegal immigration is going a long way to ruin it. Put them on a bus home now.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

True.

But some people won't have the stomach for a tough crackdown without an official warning. I say for 6 months, we work on securing the borders while we also publicize a campaign to get people documented with no penalties. Part of that public relations will also be the new authorization for "lethal force" all along the border and new requirements for all public workers (from police patrol to DMV), and the new requirements for all employers to not only deny employment, but to also report the application. After that 6 months of publicity and infrastructure development, then we officially end the lenient policies and we never look back.

The only problem with this scenario, a campaign of 6 months of documenting with no penalties, is like advertising a 6 month open door policy to free tickets for the best ride in town. It's been documented that the Mexican Gov't does facilitate the exodus from their country. The influx of American dollars, is vital to their economy. Behind oil and exports, it's the third highest revenue coming into Mexico. If you think the Mexican Gov't would in any way help to secure our borders....think again.

Money sent home by legal and illegal immigrants residing in the U.S. totaled 69 billion 200 million dollars in 2008
By M3 Report

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF FORMER BORDER PATROL OFFICERS
Visit our website: www.nafbpo.org...
Foreign News Report

The National Association of Former Border Patrol Officers (NAFBPO) extracts and condenses the material that follows from Mexican and Central and South American on-line media sources on a daily basis. You are free to disseminate this information, but we request that you credit NAFBPO as being the provider.

La Hora (Quito, Ecuador) 3/17/09

Individual monetary remittances to Latin America totaled 69 billion 200 million dollars in 2008, according to the InterAmerican Development Bank. In some countries of that area, this amounts to 20% of the GNP. The drop foreseen for 2009 is cushioned by the dollar’s rise against several currencies including Mexico’s and Brazil’s and also against the euro.
Individual countries’ figures (in billions of dollars)
- Mexico 25,145
- Brazil 7,200
- Colombia 4,842
- Guatemala 4,315
- El Salvador 3,788
- Dom. Rep. 3,111
- Peru 2,960
- Ecuador 2,822
- Honduras 2,701
———–
m3report.wordpress.com... -2008/

new topics