It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pagan Roots of Christianity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Recently an inscription dubbed NCE 156 was discovered. It is in Greek and is believed to have been carved in the latter-half of the second century. It contains both Christian AND Pagan elements.

The inscription was translated as follows:

To my bath, the brothers of the bridal chamber carry the torches,
(here) in our halls, they hunger for the [true] banquets,
even while praising the Father and glorifying the Son.
There (with the Father and the Son) is the only spring and source of truth.

If the dating of this inscription is correct, as is believed to be the case, that would make it the oldest known Christian object.

The writers of this tablet were believed to live near Rome and to be followers of a second-century philosopher named Valentinus.

Valentinus' teachings are believed to be represented in the apocryphal book, The Gospel of Philip.

An excerpt of this book shows similarity to the inscrption shown above.

The mysteries of truth are revealed, though in type and image. The bridal chamber, however, remains hidden. It is the Holy in the Holy. The veil at first concealed how God controlled the creation, but when the veil is rent and the things inside are revealed, this house will be left desolate, or rather will be destroyed. And the whole (inferior) godhead will flee from here, but not into the holies of the holies, for it will not be able to mix with the unmixed light and the flawless fullness, but will be under the wings of the cross and under its arms...

Now, how do these two early-Christian era passages/inscriptions relate to Paganism?

Below is a funeral epigram written for a non-Christian around 2,100 years ago:

I am Theophila, short-lived daughter of Hecateus. The ghosts of the unmarried dead were courting me, a young maiden, for marriage, Hades outstripped the others and seized me, for he desired me, looking upon me as a Persephone more desirable than Persephone. And when he carved the letters on her tombstone, he wept for the girl Theophila from Sinope, her father Hecateus, who composed the wedding torches not for marriage but for Hades...

This funeral epigram shows similarity to the two previously quoted epigrams in the use of the wedding/bridal chamber metaphors. The difference lies in that the early-christian metaphor shows a marriage into a new life whereas the pagan version shows a marriage into death/into Hades.

"Those kinds of things I find particularly interesting, because they seem to suggest a period of time in which a Christian identity is flexible," Snyder said. "Is it just a simple either/or between pagan and Christian?" he asked. "Or is there really something rather like a spectrum? Or are you really sort of both in certain respects?"

Source of all above quoted material.

There are many aspects of Christianity which relate to Paganism. One example is the Christian Christmas song "Oh, Come Let Us Adore Him". It is an adaptation of an Egyptian poem to Osiris:

"He is born! He is born! O come and adore Him!
Life-giving mothers, the mothers who bore Him,
Stars of the heavens the daybreak adorning.
Ancestors, ye, of the Star of Morning.
Women and Men, O come and adore Him,
Child who is born this night..."

The mythologies of Zeus and his sons one must admit, are no different than one born of a non-sexual union, i.e. Jesus Christ.

In A.D. 325 the Catholic church (did you know 'catholic' means 'universal'?) was founded by pagan emperor Constantine.

My point here being, the lines between early pagan beliefs and early Christianity were not so cut and dry. A person was not one thing or another. These strong divisions came much later.

In today's day and age we are so divided amongst are religious affiliations that we feel as though our own personal religion has to be the only, right and true religion in the world.

These correlation between Pagan and Christian can also be made between Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, and Islam. All major religions have common roots. Much based in astrology and astronomy.

So where to find truth? Look to the stars where we can all see our commonality.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This is the truth of it The council of Nicea en.wikipedia.org...

was the first attempt at consolidating Christianity into a single book, However.. it was also a way to end a war that was savaging Rome between Christian and Pagan beliefs, they blended the two religions so as to assuage and win over pagan theists to the new christian regime, there are lots of Pagan stories copied and reworded in the bible..
The Tale of Gilgamesh being the most prevalent...
The council also voted on the Deification of Christ...meaning men voted to make Jesus the son of god and performed miracles up until that point they didn't believe any of it LOL!!! So in essence everything that Christ tried to say was used as a way of mass manipulation and using tales of old and miracles of new the Council cobbled together modern Christianity and Catholicism to end war and bring a country back under control.
Just to be clear

Constantine did not patronize Christianity alone, however. After gaining victory in the Battle of the Milvian Bridge (312), a triumphal arch—the Arch of Constantine—was built (315) to celebrate it; the arch is decorated with images of Victoria and sacrifices to gods like Apollo, Diana, or Hercules, but contains no Christian symbolism.

He was a politician....

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

Constantine was a politician for sure, I agree with you there.

I don't like the demeaning of the stories derived from myth. Saying that they were used as a means to control the masses may be partially true. But, did the people who revised/wrote these stories have the best interests of the populace in mind? If so, what is so bad about that?

I find nothing in any of these stories themselves as a means of 'control', only an offering of sorts of role-models to emulate.

The origins of these stories being derived from pagan interpretations of nature, from which we come, I believe can have profound and useful influence on our personal lives.

The Church's influence over people is another matter.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is what im trying to tell everybody at school. Christianity also comes from other Gods, has similar stories that are found with other mythology and is a blatant Plagiarism of the Egyptian Religion. But people cant come to grasp this fact. Shows how brainwashed the Churches make people.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I dont like it either lets be clear on that LOL. what I am saying is that if the two sides "saw" that they were basically worshiping the same thing the fighting would stop... in essence a "control" It sucks, however it is still used to this day.. en.wikipedia.org...

I do not mean to demean the old ways, or the tales told in shadows by fires, I am saying that they have power in them. The bishops, Constantine, and the heads of all religions, have seen that for centuries.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeer0
This is what im trying to tell everybody at school. Christianity also comes from other Gods, has similar stories that are found with other mythology and is a blatant Plagiarism of the Egyptian Religion. But people cant come to grasp this fact. Shows how brainwashed the Churches make people.

At least you know, that what counts. An idea might be for you to talk about it with the teachers, maybe get them to agree to a short class about it so at least some students might listen if it was taught by the teacher.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LanternOfDiogenes
I do not mean to demean the old ways, or the tales told in shadows by fires, I am saying that they have power in them. The bishops, Constantine, and the heads of all religions, have seen that for centuries.

A very important point. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
ooohhh intresting

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

I think what you are confusing with Christianity is the Pagan attempts to corrupt true belief by the outer meaning of symbol. This has always been the main tactic (divide and conquer) of the adversary of God. There is a narrow path between exoteric dogma and esoteric spirituality. The true path is between. Faith in God is the only aspect of religion that seeks the betterment of others from the love of God. The practice that man uses is dogma. The inner light man seeks is spirituality. You won't find God in either place until pride is removed. Once pride is removed, none of the practices of the world matters from that point on. The narrow path is opened by the meaning in symbol. All the noise on the outside and the inside is pointing the way up to God from the meaning.

Jesus cleared the way with these words about judging others as they find the path.

Matt. 7

1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

6 “Do not give dogs (pagans) what is sacred; do not throw your pearls (true inner knowledge) to pigs (those who trample truth). If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces (as the atheists typically do in forums).

Ask, Seek, Knock

7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

The Narrow and Wide Gates

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

The broad and wide gates are the exoteric and esoteric practices of religion. Leave them behind and roll the rock away from the tomb. Peter was what Jesus said the church would be built on. He was the rock and Jesus was the Chief Corner Stone. The rock can be moved by the world, as we clearly witness with the church. All believers are to see the light as they emerge from the tomb of practice and ritual. Roll the rock away to reveal the risen Christ. The empty tomb is left behind (material world). The church will be unnecessary after symbol is revealed by Christ as fact.

The entire Bible is symbolism and parable. Paradoxically, the symbols actually happened. For instance, baptism is the immersion of the soul into the water of the material world. The Veil covers the temple (mind). God resides in the temple. The wilderness is the world. I could go on and on. Knowing the meaning of the Ancient Hebrew Pictographs opens you up to the true significance of the hidden meaning in the Bible.

Agro-Bio Linguistics

Paganism is what we see on the surface when true meaning is corrupted. The inner meaning of the practice is the revelation that removes the veil over the temple entrance. True meaning is in the symbol, not the dogma or the idol worship of the pagans.

In ancient Egypt, the temple priests knew the true meaning and guarded it. It was Hermetically sealed. Hermes is Thoth (Enoch). Isaiah 19:19 reveals the pyramids as the monument to the Lord. Enoch likely built the pyramids (pre-flood) and taught man knowledge from God. The Book of Jasher ch. 3-4 tells how his life parallels that of Hermes and Thoth.

edit on 3-10-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

I said all that to simply say this. Paganism is idol worship of symbols. When the symbol is made the God and worshiped, this is paganism. The symbol is there to point the way to God. That's it. God is the one to be admired. All of nature is the symbol that points to God. The meaning of the symbol is what points the way.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperiorEd
reply to post by kalunom

I said all that to simply say this. Paganism is idol worship of symbols. When the symbol is made the God and worshiped, this is paganism. The symbol is there to point the way to God. That's it. God is the one to be admired. All of nature is the symbol that points to God. The meaning of the symbol is what points the way.

This is simply saying that paganism is the root of Christianity and all other major religions. The pagan mythology and symbolism was the initial impetus for pointing the way to God, enlightenment, the Absolute, the Truth, etc.

Why is there a disconnect between this and the teaching of the Catholic church, for example? Is it believed that a better understanding of one's religious beliefs cannot be had by learning it's real roots and history?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

reply to post by kalunom

Just Like to point out that the Catholic church promotes and practices idolatry... Saints, Hail Marys, and all the ceremonial practice of eating of flesh and drinking of blood...also pagan practices, but for vastly different reasons.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
not that i care but how did this turn into a debate about religon.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom

reply to post by kalunom

This is simply saying that paganism is the root of Christianity and all other major religions. The pagan mythology and symbolism was the initial impetus for pointing the way to God, enlightenment, the Absolute, the Truth, etc.

Why is there a disconnect between this and the teaching of the Catholic church, for example? Is it believed that a better understanding of one's religious beliefs cannot be had by learning it's real roots and history?

Symbol was the start of knowledge and truth being revealed to man. God's intent is to teach. Man's intent was to take by pride. Making symbol into idol worship was the root of man's fall and the start of paganism. Each man makes the choices that either light the fire they burn by or light that they are guided by. Either way, the flame burns.

edit on 3-10-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by InshaAllah
not that i care but how did this turn into a debate about religon.

In soccer, the best players look up and know where the other players are.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by LanternOfDiogenes

reply to post by kalunom

Just Like to point out that the Catholic church promotes and practices idolatry... Saints, Hail Marys, and all the ceremonial practice of eating of flesh and drinking of blood...also pagan practices, but for vastly different reasons.

No question about it. The Catholic Church is the harlot in Revelation. Peter was the rock that the church was built on. The rock must be rolled away to reveal Christ. We will only look up if we first look down with shame at our sin. Humility looks down in reverence. God allows us to look up in forgiveness. The rock is rolled away to reveal Christ. The empty tomb is what is left when sin no longer has dominion. The gate is opened and we are free by our faith, not our works.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Do you not think that a symbol can be worshiped as an idol? I don't understand the distinction you are making. Pagans worshiped idols, Christians worshiped symbols? What's the difference?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I agree with an earlier post where the point was made that Constantine and his religious 'knitting' had little to do with sincere belief in Christianity, more to do with the simple maxim, 'united we stand, divided we fall' and Christianity covered that perfectly. We do know it took time to cajole people through the doors and make their contributions, churches were built on and replaced ancient groves, holy temples etc and many of the observed celebrations were kept and merely transformed into a christianized holy day.

Christianity is perched on top of a sturdy paganism. The minute you have the son of a virgin sacrificed on a wooden cross you find yourself wandering through pagan belief stretching from the Norse to the Persian.

Christianity didn't clear pagan belief away completely, it adopted and absorbed it and has deliberately placed the burden of sin on the shoulders of the innocent where it never existed in the past. Initially the occult/pagan view was that deity was an energy, not something imbued with human attributes which then seems to have evolved into Pantheism whereby the Heroes of old became the Ancient 'God's with a Goddess of love, a God of thunder , fertility etc. Then the powerful of that time headed off into Christianity and suddenly no idols were allowed, yet the boast is made that man himself is made in the likeness of God - which one could then quietly observe that claimed 'likeness' makes each and every one of us an idol.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The Baha'i faith has the idea of Progressive Revelation in which all the great prophets of each major religion progressively reveal a greater truth and never contradict nor embattle themselves against each other. The struggle between religions is solely man's doing.

The following is from a book by George Townshend:

“All the world over, mankind has honoured the spokesmen of God and has adopted their teachings. It reveres Christ, Buddha, Zoroaster, Krishna, and other High-Prophets as its greatest leaders. But it has not looked on them as related to one another. It has thought of them as rivals, competing for the homage of the world. It has imagined that to accept the revelation of one is to deny the revelation of every other and that the votaries of any one High-Prophet are not loyal to their Lord unless they esteem him the sole authentic revealer come from God. It has balanced the High-Prophets against one another as it were in scales, so that when one goes up, the others must go down; . . . Thus the influence of religion, which ought to have tended to unify the peoples of the world, has through a misunderstanding engendered hostility and strife. The High-Prophets never spoke ill of one another: the antagonism originated with their followers.. . . None affirmed that his revelation was final or exhaustive;

Personally, I think this idea of progressive revelation should also include paganism and it's many gods/deities. The Baha'i faith has no church, only gatherings of groups of people interested in furthering their search.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Lynda101

Which is why Lynda101 you worship the Creator and not the creature. Perhaps inherently there is nothing wrong with pleasures of lust except we were told not to lust for anyone outside of marriage. Or perhaps the wisdom says Creation should be so Holy, the perfect union of egg and seed should be the agony and extacy and a firm marriage the fertile healthy environment so the carrier of the next generation of life will be healthy and provide a Holy blessed union and so on and so forth. Those that have eyes to see, see and ears to hear, hear and we know the voice of the Shepherd just as the demons knew the sight of Messiah. Lust is just one of many examples.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join