It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gettysburg, PA Ghost

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Ok, so my family and I decided to go on a ghost tour in Gettysburg this weekend. Before our tour started, the guide explained that a lot of people smell lilac and vanilla during the tour. Women who walked around town after the battle would put those scents on their handkerchiefs to mask the smell of rotting flesh. So we started our tour and went to the first sight.

It was a creek bed where a lot of soldiers drowned after a heavy rain and flooding that ensued. As we left the area, my son smelled vanilla, and shortly after that we did as well. We smelled vanilla and lilac off and on through the tour.

Our second stop was a house that was now a museum, and had been owned by a town leader during the war. The guide explained that people had seen all sorts of things in the house, but we didn't see anything.

Next was a stop near where an old bridge had been located, but had been replaced. When it was torn down, they found fingernails embedded in the wood underneath. Rebel soldiers had hid under there, and when the flood happened, they were clinging on with their fingers bud had been swept away with the flood waters. Their finger nails were apparently ripped off while trying to hold on.

Next we went to Culps Hill. A tree there was said to be haunted, and people had felt all sorts of strange things when they touched it. I got a dizzy feeling, and my son said his hand tingled when he touched the tree.

We went back by the museum, but this time the curtains in two of the upstairs windows were open, and a light was on. The guide told us no one was ever in the museum after closing.

We ended our tour at the back of the business where we started. The guide was telling us about the cannon and how it was one of only two original, and working canons in Gettysburg. I decided to take a picture of my son standing in front of it. I got an apparition in the picture!

once image uploads are enabled, I will upload the picture. I took another right after that and the apparition is not in the photo. This was taken with my mobile phone. I have seen ghosts myself, but had never gotten an image on camera so this was quite exciting for me!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Glad you had a good time in Gettysburg. I'll be waiting to see your pic. I've been on most of the tours in town since I've lived in Gettysburg for ten years now, and I've never really seen anything myself.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well be grateful you havent experienced anything malevolent, i have and its disturbing when you get a feeling that something is watching you and you can't see it but it feels like someone is in the room with you. I get that feeling sometimes when i'm at my computer, like something is standing behind me watching me, but i turn around and no one is there.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Gettysburg is a cool place. Always something to see.
But the tradition of carrying scents on you was done by women all over, because people stunk. That is why in victorian movies you see women bringing a pouch to their nose. Wasn't just done in Gettysburg. Hey, they thought wearing wool suites in summer and 7 layers of dresses was a great idea.
edit on 19-9-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Cool! I actually live in Hanover, so I am close. I plan to go back and do some pictures with my Canon and also do some audio recording. A girl at work grew up in Gettysburg, and she said there is a spot on the battle filed where no electronics work. She has seen a lot while growing up there. The bridge is off of Lafever, to the left. I want to go there and see if I can get anything. When we were on Culps Hill we also heard gunshot. Of course it could have been a car backfiring, but who knows.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Ok, so here is a link to the picture. Note that I took one right after this and it is not in the picture. No other pictures taken with this camera have this in it.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Awesome! You hail from the land of many pretzels and potato chips (Hanover). I live in the Reading area, and my work has allowed me to deal with many snack food manufacturers and Hanover Brands from time to time.

Is that a glowstick in the middle of the jacket?

edit on 19-9-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Yep, it is. I was just analyzing the apparition, and at the top of it if you zoom in, I can make out a shape but not sure what it is.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

The shadows show's a strong light source comming from the right, the angle of the camera and the light source, create a lens flare imo. But still i could be wrong.

The flash in your sons eye's, make him look evil

edit on 19-9-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

LOL! I will make sure to tell him that! If that was a flare, then the second pic I took should have had it as well, but it didn't. I actually took 3 or 4 pics to try and get it again, but that was the only one it showed up in.

The picture was taken in back of Gettysburg Ghost Tours @ 47 Steinwehr Avenue for those of you who know the area.
edit on 19-9-2011 by haarvik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

That's what I was going to say. If you took two pictures from the same exact location at approximately the same time, with all the lighting the same etc., then they should both have it if it is a reflection. Interesting picture, but I'm not sure.

I have seen some really interesting pics that a friend of mine has in which you can make out shapes of a horse and rider. Of course, some will say that that's just pareidolia, but who knows.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Yeah, I hesitated to post it because I figured I would get ridiculed a bit over it. Can't wait to go back and get some more pics and also try for audio/video as well. I've heard of an old asylum in Frederick, MD that is supposed to be haunted, but don't know where it is. Would love to visit that as well.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Bring alot of film/memory, and take (if posible), two shots of same frame, for comparison.
If you are lucky to catch anything, please post, i would love to see the result.

A bit tired of the "pro's", to much entertainment than ghost on film.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik

Yeah, I hesitated to post it because I figured I would get ridiculed a bit over it. Can't wait to go back and get some more pics and also try for audio/video as well. I've heard of an old asylum in Frederick, MD that is supposed to be haunted, but don't know where it is. Would love to visit that as well.
Is it this one, maybe?
Loats Female Orphan Asylum

I have a cousin that retired from the police force in Frederick, MD. Sorry to say, I don't have contact with him anymore.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I also found this site:

Shadowlands Haunted Places Index- MD

There are 6 listings for Frederick.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Have you ever been to Rehmeyer's Hollow? ... it is pretty spooky ... well it was years ago. I would go trout fishing within sight of the Rehmeyer House right at sunset . I saw a black looking dog running through the field next to the house and it really felt spooky. I found out later that two of my uncles were paubears for the guy killed and that my grandmother took my dad to a shaman to be blessed when he was a baby.

Here's a primer about it .....

en.wikipedia.org...'s_Hollow

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I have been through the Gettysburg battlefield a couple of times I go at dusk and take lots of pictures, I have not gotten anything special yet but it is cool to drive though and see all the battlefields.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

No, that's not it. I think it may be the Henryton Hospital. It was closed in 1986. I was told you could not drive up to it and had to walk a path. This one fits the bill, being on a hill top and only accessible via paths. A co-worker was telling me her neighbor and her boyfriend took video in there of an elevator shaft, and got video of mist forming, then disappearing in the shaft. Now THAT would be cool footage to have!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
here is a link to the image I took just after the one with the apparition. Shows it is not the camera.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

I know what you mean. You can usually count on getting ripped up pretty good on here, but surprisingly, people have been pretty civil to you. I hope it stays that way.

<<   2 >>

join