It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to get back on track!! Brain frequency, Videogames & TV make you DUMBER!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Just a quick personal story that relates to this, before i get to the proof.

Im a PC gamer....well used to be, and around March, my HDD in my gaming PC, malfunctioned due to windows not being able to load files quick.
Before that, i was an avid gamer, now when my HDD malfunctioned i wasn't able to access windows, or play any games...yes i could have bought a new HDD but at that juncture i didn't have any money to spend.
So i didn't play any video games from then till about late august
During the time that i wasn't playing video games, i became more intelligent, not just from studying more, but it became easier.

Why was this?
It was due to me not playing video games, or watching TV....well i haven't watched TV in about 3 years now.
It was NOT due to me not playing games which allowed more time to study.
I actually studied less, and accomplished more.

Video games disrupted by beta, gamma and alpha brain wave activity, and when i stopped playing it for a while, about 2 weeks later my activity returned to their normal frequency, and even increased.

For the past 2 weeks ive been playing medal of honor on PC, now as soon as i played it....i immediately felt less intelligent.
As if my ability to refute lies was lost and my cognitive abilities took a dive, my stutter went away funnily.
It's back now, it's not really a severe stutter, it's more like obama's.

Ok so anyways,

Video games have an additional effect on the brain that other addictions do not. Brain waves have been shown to be negatively affected by video games, specifically alpha and beta waves. Alpha waves are involved in imagery and relaxation or rest. Beta waves indicate increased activity in the prefrontal lobe of the brain, which is the center of emotion and creativity. Alpha waves can be artificially produced through exposure to radiant light emanating from computer monitors or televisions. This can begin to happen within thirty seconds of focusing on the screen. Typically, alpha waves are present when one's eyes are closed, such as when a person is daydreaming. A person's brain does not function as intended when alpha waves occur during wakefulness with eyes opened. This condition tends to put a person in an unfocused, receptive state similar to that induced through hypnosis.

People with high beta brainwave have higher IQ than the average population. Beta brainwave state enable you to solve math problems, conducting research, reading books, and writing articles. Each time a student takes a test, a large surge of beta brainwave can be found in their brain.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
It's not the games it's what you are watching them on. Refresh and flicker occurs on all modern tv's and computer displays, why do think they made it mandatory that all broadcast had to be switched to digital a couple of years ago.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

Obama has a stutter? What else aren't you telling me?!

Yeah I put down video games too. FPS are a lot of fun but I hear ya on feeling dumbed down after a good session of gaming.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
But...but...but...I like video games....
I wonder why some of them are so addictive - and why others really suck

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
PART 2
How brain waves make you intelligent/stupid and impressionable

Has anyone wondered why people are so easily impressed by a foreign accent?
The usual would response would be "because it's different"...
*cough* ahem *cough*
Crusades
Religious turmoil
Berlin Wall
Racism
Jim Crow

Yeah...."because it's different".

Well the truth as to why, is because those people are extremely idiotic, and ignorant.
Due to constant years of watching TV and being brainwashed, leaves them easily impressed, it has reduced their beta brain wave activity, and those people are not capable at this juncture of critical thinking, they would rather marvel at an accent, then acknowledge real problems, like famine, or millions of people dying...or the massive corruption that is this "government" joke.
Watch below, at all these replies, who are about to refute what i said, that ladies and gentlemen, is what's called stockholm syndrome

Defending the same system, and people, who enslave you.

No no...but i like classic cinema, and classic rock....hate to break it to ya, but those things are equally awful, as the things we have today.
As anyone listened to metal, or talked to someone who likes metal/rock?
There's some anecdotal evidence, for the mass retardation of society right there.

Psychophysiologist Thomas Mulholland found that after just 30 seconds of watching television the brain begins to produce alpha waves, which indicates torpid (almost comatose) rates of activity. Alpha brain waves are associated with unfocused, overly receptive states of consciousness. A high frequency alpha waves does not occur normally when the eyes are open. In fact, Mulholland’s research implies that watching television is neurologically analogous to staring at a blank wall.

We see thing such as patriotism, and political division, people are convinced to think this way from years of subliminal messages from television and other outlets.

You dont think, they think for you.

The cause of addiction
edit on 19-9-2011 by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Hmm, well at least the title is correct; it makes YOU dumber

I guess those gamers who just cracked a gene related to HIV were just lucky.

Really tho, bit of a blanket claim.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
They don't make you dumber. Smart people just don't sit in front of the tube all day watching reality tv, or sit on their butts all day playing video games. You become smart by having a thirst for knowledge. Playing video games, or watching 90% of what is on tv will not help in that department.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
Hmm, well at least the title is correct; it makes YOU dumber

I guess those gamers who just cracked a gene related to HIV were just lucky.

Really tho, bit of a blanket claim.

Thanks for proving my point

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I actually notice this change. All my life before 11th grade I played many video games. However while playing I tend to have bad grades plus I don't understand my lessons very well causing me to have a low grade. It's not until 11th grade when Finally quit playing video games. As a result, I have better grades than my previous years

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

hanging online, in games, staring at the TV - doing anything of a leisurely pursuit too much is unproductive. your post is a good reminder to turn off the gadgets and go for a bike ride or a walk or just do something.

i spend way too much time online and i've got all sorts of projects backed up because of neglect. silly and stupid.

i've got the TV on in the background 24/7. what a mind-melter. there is only good shows on once in a while. the rest of it is mindless drivel. i like forensics & such, but often i'm realizing what's going on in the background, the people on these shows telling what happened to someone at a crime scene..it's just horrible. not good to have such crap floating into one's ear-holes all day long.

it's late night here now but tomorrow i'm actually going to do something. and thank you for this reminder

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
They don't make you dumber. Smart people just don't sit in front of the tube all day watching reality tv, or sit on their butts all day playing video games. You become smart by having a thirst for knowledge. Playing video games, or watching 90% of what is on tv will not help in that department.

Once again, thanks for proving what i was trying to leverage across in my OP.
Read what i wrote, and read the links, it will educate you.

Here's the thing.
You say smart people.....

Well see the thing is, why do you think they're smart?
Evolution?....

They lack the disruption to their brain wave activity, that video games and TV cause.

You want the egg, without knowing how it's made.

You can't be smart, if your brain wave activity is AWOL.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
This is ridiculous.

Did you have an ECG attached to your head during the time you were gaming and then not?

How the hell would you know if your alpha beta and theta waves returned to "normal"?

What a joke of a thread

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nomad451
This is ridiculous.

Did you have an ECG attached to your head during the time you were gaming and then not?

How the hell would you know if your alpha beta and theta waves returned to "normal"?

What a joke of a thread

If that's what you believe, then as you wish.
Oh btw, me being an undergrad in biomedical science, couldn't supposedly mean i have access to an EEG recorder (not ECG champ) ...noooooo everyone who visits ATS, is a new age hippy, working for the new agers amirite?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
It is an interesting concept. I myself am in university, and about to return to an academic year. Could you please link me with more articles about research on how the screen affects your brain waves? Might want to knock down a bit of my habit of gaming and doing work on the laptop, and switch to books & paper.

It's just that, I have played video games throughout my life with various activity and performed fine in my academic chores.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
smoke something that naturally grows outdoors to combat this. when television has you in this hypnotic dumbed state you are unaware of the subliminal information and meaning they are trying to project to you.

when, iv'e been told, you smoke a part of a natural growing plant, you are able to perceive, sometimes very clearly the meanings and intention behind the imagery, dialogue and discussion of the actors and what anyone may be saying.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
smoke something that naturally grows outdoors to combat this. when television has you in this hypnotic dumbed state you are unaware of the subliminal information and meaning they are trying to project to you.

when, iv'e been told, you smoke a part of a natural growing plant, you are able to perceive, sometimes very clearly the meanings and intention behind the imagery, dialogue and discussion of the actors and what anyone may be saying.

That is quite interesting. I think it definitely can help, though I do this when I'm not under any affect too. I don't allow TV to alter my opinions at least on a conscious level (the subconscious is a whole other platform).
Commercials can become extremely silly under the affect too. I've always wondered how they work, and who buys the crap. Unless it is something you've rationally decided you need beforehand and see a good offer.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Explains why it's banned.
But why not in the netherlands tho?
Weird....Jews control both the US and the rest of the world.

I've read in scientific literature, it protects neurons from free radicals.
Interesting too, since i know when people smoke weed, they become more hungry.....the more free radicals in circulations makes you less hungry, it suppresses your appetite.
Guess, it's good to keep the masses, fat, dumb and ignorance though, weed would reverse those affects.
Though, i've also read weed, neutralizes your short term memory....something i need.

Oh well, i'll probably start with some weed, when i find some people who sell it.
A guy in my 1 of my biomed classes sells it, but he charges a lot.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

As anyone listened to metal, or talked to someone who likes metal/rock?
There's some anecdotal evidence, for the mass retardation of society right there.

I agreed with everything you had stated up until that point, then my respect for you quickly diminished.

I myself had played video games up until about Feb of this year. Mostly counter-strike source. Hours and hours of it.
I haven't played since and I feel great.

But I listen to and create metal, so my neanderthal views have no merit.

edit on 19-9-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Classical music, and vibrational music, increase I.Q, it's not just metal and rock music that lower IQ and intelligence, it's pop, rap and everything else, apart from classical.
I remember when i was around 10, and i was watching MTV (this was back when i was really young) and it was the first i listened to rap, 50 cent, then they played, disturbed, and britney spears, damn they were bad, it made me feel bad, sad, depressed and angry, all at once, and i hated it.
Britney was not to bad, she made SOME nice, sounding music, that appealed to me when i was a child.

Im currently 19, and when i turned 16, i remember listening to some metal and rap, and pretending, and i guess "convicing" my self to like it.

Fast forward, to 2011, im on the right track, love listening to classical music, then ode to joy by beethoven is one of my favorites pieces, and im listening to it right now, this is music, this is something i enjoy and its what i like to listen to.

I'm not going to apologize, because metal and rap are NOT music genres, if you get a 3 year old to bang a wrench against some metal, will you call that music? no, rock and rap are noise, thats it, they talk about the worst things, especially this tool "ozzy osbourne" all metal bands,country singers and rappers are tools...but something about ozzy, he's just the ultimate tool, if you listen to the way he speaks, you can tell that he's a retard and intellectually limited...and people worship that!...we have a problem when stuff like that happens.

Metal and rap do not improve productivity, it's not relaxing, it makes you sad, stressed, turns you into a really mean and rude person, doesn't make you horny, and worst of all, reduces intelligence.

What is the damn difference between metal and rock?
Nothing, both sound damn awful!

Now just because someone doesn't listen to classical, doesn't mean we can't be friends, you dont have to agree with people, to be friends with others.
I'm friends with many people who hate classical.

<<   2  3 >>

join