It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to get back on track!! Brain frequency, Videogames & TV make you DUMBER!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Graphs and charts hmm....well that would make my argument more valid to the ignorant sheep, sure i'll either make some when im at college on thursday, or find some from reputable sites

Hypocritical much, i'll insult you, as long as you keep replying to me with those insulting and snappy comments.
And im not your "mate".

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I suppose your lucky everyones making such a horrible mistake. Without them as an example of what not to be, how would you have ever became who you are?

Your arguments however are illogical. I wish you the best of luck on growing.... up.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

From Wiki mate, read it:

Generally more stimulating environment Still another theory is that the general environment today is much more complex and stimulating. One of the most striking 20th century changes of the human intellectual environment has come from the increase of exposure to many types of visual media. From pictures on the wall to movies to television to video games to computers, each successive generation has been exposed to richer optical displays than the one before and may have become more adept at visual analysis. This would explain why tests like the Raven's have shown the greatest increases—they depend on such analysis. This explanation may imply that IQ tests do not necessarily measure a general intelligence factor, especially not Raven's as often argued, but instead may measure different types of intelligence that are developed by different experiences (this argument is against the notion of an underlying general intelligence, or g factor). An increase only of particular form(s) of intelligence would explain why the Flynn effect has not caused a "cultural renaissance too great to be overlooked."[9]

link

So in theory it does actually increase intelligence.........

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

You are a sick and twisted individual. I recommend that you let some air out of that swollen ego before you jump into a conversation like this.

The only one who's dumbed down here is you.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien
Just a quick personal story that relates to this, before i get to the proof.

Im a PC gamer....well used to be, and around March, my HDD in my gaming PC, malfunctioned due to windows not being able to load files quick.
Before that, i was an avid gamer, now when my HDD malfunctioned i wasn't able to access windows, or play any games...yes i could have bought a new HDD but at that juncture i didn't have any money to spend.
So i didn't play any video games from then till about late august
During the time that i wasn't playing video games, i became more intelligent, not just from studying more, but it became easier.

Why was this?
It was due to me not playing video games, or watching TV....well i haven't watched TV in about 3 years now.
It was NOT due to me not playing games which allowed more time to study.
I actually studied less, and accomplished more.

Video games disrupted by beta, gamma and alpha brain wave activity, and when i stopped playing it for a while, about 2 weeks later my activity returned to their normal frequency, and even increased.

For the past 2 weeks ive been playing medal of honor on PC, now as soon as i played it....i immediately felt less intelligent.
As if my ability to refute lies was lost and my cognitive abilities took a dive, my stutter went away funnily.
It's back now, it's not really a severe stutter, it's more like obama's.

Ok so anyways,

Video games have an additional effect on the brain that other addictions do not. Brain waves have been shown to be negatively affected by video games, specifically alpha and beta waves. Alpha waves are involved in imagery and relaxation or rest. Beta waves indicate increased activity in the prefrontal lobe of the brain, which is the center of emotion and creativity. Alpha waves can be artificially produced through exposure to radiant light emanating from computer monitors or televisions. This can begin to happen within thirty seconds of focusing on the screen. Typically, alpha waves are present when one's eyes are closed, such as when a person is daydreaming. A person's brain does not function as intended when alpha waves occur during wakefulness with eyes opened. This condition tends to put a person in an unfocused, receptive state similar to that induced through hypnosis.

People with high beta brainwave have higher IQ than the average population. Beta brainwave state enable you to solve math problems, conducting research, reading books, and writing articles. Each time a student takes a test, a large surge of beta brainwave can be found in their brain.

Play final fantasy tactics 1.3 and come back to me on that "makes you dumber part".

But that's your opinion.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It must be synchronicity that brought this to my attention :

Gamers-Piece-Together-Retrovirus-Enzyme-Stru cture

The solution of the virus enzyme structure, the researchers said, “indicates the power of online computer games to channel human intuition and three-dimensional pattern matching skills to solve challenging scientific problems.

edit on 19-9-2011 by Chrysalis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Wow, I am sorry but some things said here are really ignorant, or at the very least presumptuous.

For instance:

Well the truth as to why, is because those people are extremely idiotic, and ignorant.
Due to constant years of watching TV and being brainwashed, leaves them easily impressed, it has reduced their beta brain wave activity, and those people are not capable at this juncture of critical thinking, they would rather marvel at an accent, then acknowledge real problems, like famine, or millions of people dying...or the massive corruption that is this "government" joke.

If you seriously think that anyone cares more for something as simplistic and natural as a accent over world issues, then I seriously have to question where your focus is as an intellectual. Accents, are desired because they are different. Everyone likes to be slightly different, or date someone who has that extra-something that sets them above their friends spouses. Honestly, too like accents means your not capable of critical thinking?

I like accents, I think they are exotic. As long as the possessor of said accent is intelligent, then that accent becomes another factor in the game of attraction. Does this mean that I have reduced my beta brainwaves? No, it is simply human nature, and you are not a psychologist, or at least not one worth his salt with insinuations like the ones you make. Its one thing to say that our society, or even Pop culture is making people change the focus of their critical thinking, but to say that its because people care about accents.... wow.

Ok, so you link this to stockholm syndrom. Which is not a jump in logic, how? As you said stockholm syndrom is "Defending the same system, and people, who enslave you."

Raise of hands, how does this relate to people liking Accents?

Psychophysiologist Thomas Mulholland found that after just 30 seconds of watching television the brain begins to produce alpha waves, which indicates torpid (almost comatose) rates of activity. Alpha brain waves are associated with unfocused, overly receptive states of consciousness. A high frequency alpha waves does not occur normally when the eyes are open. In fact, Mulholland’s research implies that watching television is neurologically analogous to staring at a blank wall.

Now see this, this is more like it. This is an actuality. Unfortunately it takes it too far as well. People who are "asleep" do not critically think? They sure do. Its just about what is the real problem. They have subconsciously chosen to not care enough about the world to think critically of it. They care enough for an answer but so long as their lives are not impacted, it is simply drama and/or entertainment. Any answer will do, so long as they can conform and re-focus on how to increase their standing in society. Meanwhile, the things they really want to talk about are music, art, actors, celebs, and sports. There will come a time, where their lives are impacted enough to wake them but society wont change on its own.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

reply to post by yourmaker

Classical music, and vibrational music, increase I.Q, it's not just metal and rock music that lower IQ and intelligence, it's pop, rap and everything else, apart from classical.
I remember when i was around 10, and i was watching MTV (this was back when i was really young) and it was the first i listened to rap, 50 cent, then they played, disturbed, and britney spears, damn they were bad, it made me feel bad, sad, depressed and angry, all at once, and i hated it.
Britney was not to bad, she made SOME nice, sounding music, that appealed to me when i was a child.

Im currently 19, and when i turned 16, i remember listening to some metal and rap, and pretending, and i guess "convicing" my self to like it.

Fast forward, to 2011, im on the right track, love listening to classical music, then ode to joy by beethoven is one of my favorites pieces, and im listening to it right now, this is music, this is something i enjoy and its what i like to listen to.

I'm not going to apologize, because metal and rap are NOT music genres, if you get a 3 year old to bang a wrench against some metal, will you call that music? no, rock and rap are noise, thats it, they talk about the worst things, especially this tool "ozzy osbourne" all metal bands,country singers and rappers are tools...but something about ozzy, he's just the ultimate tool, if you listen to the way he speaks, you can tell that he's a retard and intellectually limited...and people worship that!...we have a problem when stuff like that happens.

Metal and rap do not improve productivity, it's not relaxing, it makes you sad, stressed, turns you into a really mean and rude person, doesn't make you horny, and worst of all, reduces intelligence.

What is the damn difference between metal and rock?
Nothing, both sound damn awful!

Now just because someone doesn't listen to classical, doesn't mean we can't be friends, you dont have to agree with people, to be friends with others.
I'm friends with many people who hate classical.
edit on 19-9-2011 by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien because: (no reason given)

I listen to Classical music and lots of downtempo trance, ambient electronic music. Your preaching to the preacher.

But to say metal has no musical intelligence or doesn't evoke the same thoughts and feelings is just plain wrong!

I'm in 2 bands, one metal and one hip hop. You definitely cannot generalize entire genres.
Ozzy Osbourne is not in my realm of what I myself determine to be true metal.
Metal draws from other genres and styles of thinking. Any type you can think of.

you can listen to Classical metal.

Metal can be metal, but in can draw from all genres, like Egyptian

metal can't be beautiful or intellectual?

then there is my all time favorite metal/music band, Despair.
But they don't make me feel sadness or despair. their music is empowering and intelligent.
Every song they have made.

Funny this music makes me feel good and smart. I wonder why that is?
Have I tricked my mind or is it actually intelligent?? Not to be condescending, you just make me feel that way.
I can't help but have to look down at you and be like "dude, there is no way you are right on this one"
Metal and hiphop are relaxing.

MTV was designed to influence the weak mind and distort as many imaginations as to what true music is and CAN BE.

Then there's hiphop.
Listen to this and tell me you don't like it or that it doesn't relax you in the slightest.

edit on 19-9-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
Hmm, well at least the title is correct; it makes YOU dumber

I guess those gamers who just cracked a gene related to HIV were just lucky.

Really tho, bit of a blanket claim.

Thanks for proving my point

They cracked nothing, their computers did all the work. All they did was press one buttion witch links computers all over the world together. Its called folding@home

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Classical music, and vibrational music, increase I.Q, it's not just metal and rock music that lower IQ and intelligence, it's pop, rap and everything else, apart from classical.
I remember when i was around 10, and i was watching MTV (this was back when i was really young) and it was the first i listened to rap, 50 cent, then they played, disturbed, and britney spears, damn they were bad, it made me feel bad, sad, depressed and angry, all at once, and i hated it.
Britney was not to bad, she made SOME nice, sounding music, that appealed to me when i was a child.

Im currently 19, and when i turned 16, i remember listening to some metal and rap, and pretending, and i guess "convicing" my self to like it.

Fast forward, to 2011, im on the right track, love listening to classical music, then ode to joy by beethoven is one of my favorites pieces, and im listening to it right now, this is music, this is something i enjoy and its what i like to listen to.

I'm not going to apologize, because metal and rap are NOT music genres, if you get a 3 year old to bang a wrench against some metal, will you call that music? no, rock and rap are noise, thats it, they talk about the worst things, especially this tool "ozzy osbourne" all metal bands,country singers and rappers are tools...but something about ozzy, he's just the ultimate tool, if you listen to the way he speaks, you can tell that he's a retard and intellectually limited...and people worship that!...we have a problem when stuff like that happens.

Metal and rap do not improve productivity, it's not relaxing, it makes you sad, stressed, turns you into a really mean and rude person, doesn't make you horny, and worst of all, reduces intelligence.

Now just because someone doesn't listen to classical, doesn't mean we can't be friends, you dont have to agree with people, to be friends with others.

Only reason you think this is because you have only heard what the main stream has to offer. Rap is poetry. What they sell in the main stream is nursery rhymes. If you listen to the right artist then you will find it takes allot of skill and REAL emotion. Rap is not about gun play, the industry is about gun play. Metal is AMAZING. Do you play a instrument, do you have any idea how hard it is to compose a metal song? You cannot base a whole genera off of a couple artist. Their are some amazing artist out their with more skill the Beethoven or Mozart, they are just in different genera's and are hidden because the majority of the public is stupid.
This is one of the grates poets of all time.
www.youtube.com...
If you only listen to the main stream then you will get crap.
edit on 19-9-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Your IQ may be high but your people skills suck

From here it seems like being a "genius" is over rated

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Who said this guy has a high IQ...sounds pretty ignorant to me. Placing entire genres of music into a box and labeling it dumb...does not present itself as, coming from a genius mind either. Just another dim witted view of the world through the eyes of an egotistical self righteous individual with as much intellect to give the world as the slug in my back yard.

Thanks for proving it to us all. Your credibility just went to zero along with your I.Q. (Intellectual Qualification).

And please don't come back on me with what I.Q. really stands for I know...my definition was a statement!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I used to judge entire genres of music, too. Back when I was in high school. Then I matured, and realized that (insert genre here) isn't "ignorant" and their singers/performers weren't "retarded", I just didn't like it.

I would like to suggest that you please consider the notion that your opinions of rock and rap are just that, and are not facts. They don't apply to everyone. For example, metal does not make everyone sad or stressed or mean. In fact, for some people, Classical music has these effects.

Then please try to understand why others like the genres of music that you don't like. Perhaps then you will see their value.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I've played videogames and watched countless hours of tv and yet I still feel and am as intelligent as I've always been and felt. I was a high achiever in school and lessons were way too easy for me and my IQ is incredibly high (not gonna post a number because what does it really matter anyway as long as we all get along in peace and harmony?) so yeah, I believe the OP is just trying to find excuses to make those things seem evil and such.

What next, "playing videogames or watching tv will make Jesus come and kill you as you sleep"?

EDIT - Ok, so I read the OP is claiming that metal isn't a real genre of music? Now I KNOW this guy is trolling.

That is all.
edit on 19/9/2011 by curious7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
ATS really needs a facepalm smiley.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Um, metal and rap are bad because "it doesn't make you horny?" Ozzy is a "retard" because he is "intellectually limited?" BAHAHAHA!!! I really hope you are just spouting off this b.s. for a chuckle because you have just offered one of the most unintelligent and narrow-minded views I've ever come across. And none of us believe you are an undergrad in biomedical science or have access to an EEG recorder. Good music can be found in any genre. Period. It's what you take from it personally that matters. There are multiple types of music simply because there are multiple types of people. There isn't just one kind of music that magically inspires people because it's just naturally better than other kinds of music. "Any music besides classical music and vibrational music lower your I.Q.?" So that means all i need to do to not be a "retard" like Ozzy is listen to classical music. How much Mozart do i need to listen to to be able to pull off open heart surgery? How much Bach before i can operate a helicopter? Get a life.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join