It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What in the? Jersey Shore Production to Receive $420,000.00 from....TAX PAYERS!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

YEAH WTH?
Does Snooky really need another GD nose job or boob implants? How in the name of all the ever loving God's Creation I just don't have any words. Totally.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
this is how you know the world is about to end. state sanctioned tanning and idiocy.

Welcome to Walmart. I love you.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is hilarious lmao.
I guess they must have thought that the program would bring increased tourism therefore hoped to regain the money back and then some. If that was the reason I can understand; but frankly I wouldn't want these pricks representing where I lived (if I lived in NJ or even America that is). Still, its a very stupid idea... whoever thought of that should be fired and never allowed to work for government again.

I'm almost certain that Al-Qaeda use these types of shows as training videos for their recruits... who wouldn't want to blow up America if they saw that stuff

edit on 15-9-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

As a parent I know what you're talking about. I am so glad that my children watch iCarly and Hanna montana and wizards of waverly they pretty much stick to Disney and Nick and some cartoon network, and never have seen an episode of Jersey shore, however my teen daughter recently was watching a marathon a sixteen and pregnant...which she commented on how "Stupid" these biotches were... Man I love my kids!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Hi Benevolent - I am looking into that right now - The NJ Ledger and 6 news Phily were the sources I read - trying to find where the money exactly came from -thanks...

CJ

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Idyserenity, I know. It is hard to stomach...seems more and more garbage is being forced down our throat - I am one of the few around here who doesn't mind paying a fair share in taxes - if the money is used to benefit my community infrastructure, schools, etc. This is like dumping money into a sewer.

CJ

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Just had to put it up - this guy is a future president the way things are going...

CJ

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by emaildogs
No offense, but what else does New Jersey have going for it?

The show probably brings more tourism and people the the beaches and stores surrounding it.
Any publicity is good publicity.

To clear any confusion I hate the jersey shore too.

Have you ever visited or lived in New Jersey?

Aside from the corruption, high cost of living, and pollution it's actually not a bad place to live. There are some nice towns there.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave

Originally posted by emaildogs
No offense, but what else does New Jersey have going for it?

The show probably brings more tourism and people the the beaches and stores surrounding it.
Any publicity is good publicity.

To clear any confusion I hate the jersey shore too.

Have you ever visited or lived in New Jersey?

Aside from the corruption, high cost of living, and pollution it's actually not a bad place to live. There are some nice towns there.

I know. NJ has the WORST rep in the US! Ho-Ho-kus is pretty nice.

CJ

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
So we are spending $420,000 to watch a bunch of 20 somethings get drunk, fall down, fight, and pick up girls?

I have a better idea.... spend the 10 cover charge and go to any meat market night club. You can see the same thing all year round and it will only cost you $5-$10 a trip, plus drinks.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Hi Benevolent Heretic - make no mistake about it - it IS taxpayer money - I still don't fully comprehend the NJ Economic Authority and where it gets its power, but the story is right...here is more...

A Democratic state Senator and a national coalition of Italian Americans are calling upon Gov. Chris Christie to block a tax credit awarded yesterday to the production company of the hit MTV television show “Jersey Shore.”

The New Jersey Economic Development Authority approved the $420,000 film tax credit for for the 2009 production of the inaugural season of the hit television show. The approval was part of the first round of film tax credits awarded by the EDA since Gov. Chris Christie suspended the program in 2010 to close budget deficit.

Responding to the calls, Christie spokesman Michael Drewniak said, “The Governor cannot veto EDA action that is in compliance with non-discretionary, existing law…. The bottom line is that the governor has not been in favor of this tax credit, and this and other applications were in the pipeline from the prior administration.

He added that the governor “has also been clear about his belief that film tax credit programs are not the most effective way to spur economic growth throughout the State."

It is Taxpayer Money

CJ

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Yep. As a rep from the Maui Film and Video Group, I sat on a board under the Maui Tourist Bureau to work with the Office of Motion Pictures, and The Mayor's Advisory Commitee on Motion Picture Development to seduce producers. Big buck go to and tax breaks givin to production companys to use Maui as there backdrop.

We even got hotels, restaurants, grocery stores and tourist activity businesses to contribute free products and services, for their use in movies and consumption for the crews.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
If I read the article correctly, it says the state provides tax breaks for productions.This does NOT mean that your tax money is being given to MTV or the producers of Jersey Shore. It means they get a tax break. Only if you assume that taxes are an automatic natural necessity would you consider this using tax money for the show. It is NOT a subsidy. It is a tax break. Lots of states do this and it is a fairly effective job creator.

I can only speak for Louisiana but it has created lots of jobs down here. At any given time, we have 5-10 Hollywood films filming in the state, along with tons of smaller budget films.

In the last few years, there is a reason you may have noticed a lot more TV shows shot in Louisiana. HBO's "Treme" for example.Most of the exterior shots in "Memphis Beat" are actually shots of New Orleans street scenes. In the reality series genre, they're filming "Swamp People", "Billy the Exterminator", "Sons of Guns", and a few more. These may not be demonstrative of high culture, but several of the shows are successful. And they provide jobs to cast, crew, extras, catering, craft services, local "consultants", etc. The Hollywood films bring a lot more to the table in this area than the TV shows but they all play their part.
It also offers exposure for tourism purposes. Apparently Cajun country is becoming more of a tourist location due to "Swamp People" alone.

All of this is due to the state's tax breaks for production companies.

Tax breaks are not subsidies and they do often stimulate the economy.

If you have a problem with content (Jersey Shore IS pretty terrible) simply don't watch, but the article is clearly slanted against what has proven to be a good fiscal policy, at least in most places it's used
edit on 15-9-2011 by radosta because: addition

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
As harsh as I may sound...this is what you all deserve for letting this show continue to air on prime-time tv, by giving them constant views.

& when I say you, I mean, the general public...Not the learned people of ATS

Had to cover my back quickly there, before you all start
for me.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I know this does sound ridiculous, BUT:

You should do some research to find out how much money this show brings in to the Jersey Shore area. I'm sure over the 4 seasons it's been a hell of a lot more than $420,000. This is an investment that the Economic Development department is making... so before you start shouting "this is why the US is in debt"... think about it for a few minutes.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Would of been better spent as compensation to the cast after they sterilized them so none of those things could breed.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

As a parent I know what you're talking about. I am so glad that my children watch iCarly and Hanna montana and wizards of waverly they pretty much stick to Disney and Nick and some cartoon network, and never have seen an episode of Jersey shore, however my teen daughter recently was watching a marathon a sixteen and pregnant...which she commented on how "Stupid" these biotches were... Man I love my kids!

Personally ...I don't like Jersey Shore...I think the show is boring. As for money being given to them....I think that is wrong...and that money should go to more worthy needs.

As for your children watching Disney....Please read the following link...and look at the videos and art work....it is quite disturbing.

listverse.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by rydizz
I know this does sound ridiculous, BUT:

You should do some research to find out how much money this show brings in to the Jersey Shore area. I'm sure over the 4 seasons it's been a hell of a lot more than $420,000. This is an investment that the Economic Development department is making... so before you start shouting "this is why the US is in debt"... think about it for a few minutes.

I have some quotes in the OP regarding this...a few restaurants indicated they were getting some more customers...Since you are sure the filming has brought in over $420k I am sure you can produce a link.

CJ

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Wow, taxpayer money going to testosterone crazed dou****** to pay for their tanning beds and cloths for Snooki who has the knowledge of a grade-schooler. This world is truly coming to an end, and not from Nibiru.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Oh man, did I laugh at this...
Might have to borrow it, lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join