It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Closer Look at Multiculturalism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Multiculturalism only works if all cultures present choose to participate. The second that one doesn't, then you develop separation issues that affect all.

2 cents

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
I do think there are problems with some elements of diversity, or rather the diversity movement in that it looks to soften the edges around cultural differences, hence reducing that which is interesting to form some milk toast cultural identity, the goal seems to be some homogenized culture.

I don't think the goal of diversity is to have a milquetoast identity. I think THAT is a bastardization of diversity. The goal of diversity is NOT that people should sort of have to 'homogenize' to a central or common point - to 'fit in' with everyone else... Rather is it to see, learn from and accept the DIFFERENCES that we do have. To ALLOW these differences to make us all better people.

So, I agree with you completely.

When diversity is a code word for conformance, it is a negative force in society.

Completely agree! (Is this a first for us?)
No one should have to 'give up' their heritage, cultural identity or feel that they have to conform or assimilate into an existing culture.
There's room enough for us all to be who we are and live together with respect and acceptance. We don't have to love everyone or approve of their thoughts beliefs and practices, but we have no right to force them to be more like us so WE can be comfortable.

It is when groups seek to force society to change rules mores to accomodate dramatic differences in cultures, such as Islamic women not driving and being educated, that the foundations of a society, in the case of the US, natural law has to come into play and trump culture.

I'm not sure what you mean here... Islamic women not driving? Plenty of Islamic women drive and plenty of Christians don't drive. I don't understand what you mean in this paragraph... Sorry. Could you elaborate? Thanks.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

The funny thing is, it's multiculturalism that made the US great. Without all those immigrants bringing over influences from all over the world, the US wouldn't be the superpower it (still) is today.

By all over the world you mean Europe, right? US is dominated by European culture, and was even more in the past. This was also responsible for the superpower status.
edit on 12/9/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I think all cultures are stupid, including mine. Why do you have to wear a hat for 10 days to honor some dead guy or dance like a monkey around a pole because it's what you've "always" done? That's pretty much the equivalent of most cultures.

The core concept of multiculturalism is to live and let live. If someone wants to dance around a pole like a monkey, it's their right as long as they're not hurting someone else. However, if someone wants to marry 5 wives or have sex with 12 year old virgins because it's part of their "culture", I wouldn't be tolerant of that at all. It's when other cultures interfere with our basic morals and belief system that I have a problem with it. There is a reason why some countries are not very pleasant to live in and, therefore, those customs should not be maintained and practiced in our country because they don't harbor a very happy environment. To put it lightly.

If a culture is no longer practical or "moral" in the modern world, I say it should be discarded.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I find other cultures very interesting and like to learn more about them.
Sadly, for the most part that I have seen(in the US), these "other cultures" have no interest to learn the ways of US. It's like it's a one way street, where the citizens must bend to them, while they do not.
And our government seems to encourage this. The government housing is full of non assimilating "immigrants", that do not fit in, or try to. I do not know of their legal status', but I assume many are illegal, if not most.
I used to work at an industrail laundry, and it was 95% south of the border people, with... like one guy could speak English. I suspect most were illegal, as we had a Union, and were told to run everyone out the side door if ICE came. Also, the Union made available FREE English language classes, and NO ONE took them. I asked if we could have Spanish classes, and they thought I was stupid. So, here we have 95% of all these people that cannot, and will not speak English.
Also I worked for our city government(most corrupt job I ever had), and they had these cleaning people from Cuba, and they could not and would not speak English, and I think the guy said he'd lived in the US for 20 years. There were a few long timers at the laundry too.

So, it seems to me, that "mulitculturalism" is a liberal leftist probably Zionist controlled plan to genocide European culture and it's peoples.
edit on 12-9-2011 by tom502 because: misspell

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by MrXYZ

The funny thing is, it's multiculturalism that made the US great. Without all those immigrants bringing over influences from all over the world, the US wouldn't be the superpower it (still) is today.

By all over the world you mean Europe, right? US is dominated by European culture, and was even more in the past. This was also responsible for the superpower status.

Actually, without cheap African/Mexican/Asian labour the US wouldn't be the superpower it is today. By allowing this multiculturalism, allowing those immigrants to keep part of their cultural identity, you ensured cheap labour.

Who would man your farms without Mexicans? Who would have lead your IT boom without Indians/Asians coming over (just go to any IT department and check up on how many Indians work there)?

As for your "European" culture, I take it you've never been to Europe? Italians are very different from Scandinavians, and the French are most certainly different from the French. Geographically they are all Europeans, culture-wise, they're all quite different.

Without immigrants, the US wouldn't be what it is today...and any attempt at undermining this is pretty much on an attack on the whole "freedom & liberty" mantra.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Multiculturalism only works if all cultures present choose to participate. The second that one doesn't, then you develop separation issues that affect all.

Thankfully, there hasn't been any notable instance of a culture which has chosen not to participate in any Western society.

The only reason why multiculturalism has failings is entirely due to a small number of intolerants, of all cultures.

edit on 12-9-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

By my last comment, I suggest that there are are things within a dominate culture that supercede other cultural norms. In a country like the US, those should be kept as small as possible, but they do need to exist. For example, there are elements of some segments of Islamic culture that would violate our natural law, i.e. freedom of speech and equal treatment under the law. There are cultural mores in strict Islamic cultures where men and women are not considered to be equal, something repugnant to me and directly opposed to the Natural Law the US was founded on, e.g. that all men are created equal. That component of that Islamic culture should never be allowed to be adopted in the US, regardless of how important it is to those Muslims who practice it.

Other things as well, such as the acceptance in some cultures on child labor, public corporal punishment (such as caning), no age of consent are a few examples. A number of things, that regardless of the fact that they are accepted and practiced in other cultures can not and should be allowed to exist in the US.

Those are clearly minority items within any culture. In general I think that society should be accepting of other cultures, but not force them upon anyone, nor limit free speech about them. For example, I think that English should be the official language of the US because I think a language unites. I fundamentally reject that moving to an official language does anything what so ever to reduce an ethnic groups cultural identity. Ideally, people practice both, their ethnic culture as well as a common American culture.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
I'll put it like this, everybody has something to add to this world whether they are black, white, yellow or green.
In the end we are all human, why keep separating people and making each other miserable ?
Some people are just disgusting, absolutely disgusting regardless of what colour they are.
edit on 12-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

Separating people makes them miserable? Whatever you say.

Originally posted by CN1018
From my experience, diversity is beneficial.

Ah, of course! After all, who doesn't love retarded music being blasted from cars, half the town being on government assistance, marauding gangs that pound you to a pulp if they notice your skin is too light, etc.

So.............if I'm reading your statement right, I'm supposed to be sitting in a grass hut in a third world country while you live the better life ?

If that's the best your people can do, then yes. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT the responsibility of any other race to take care of yours.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

People do marry interracially, what about them ? You separate them that will make them miserable.
We all deserve good leaders, and I'm supposed to live in a grass hut because you have issues with other races ? And I thought I was the crazy one........hallelujah.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

So.............if I'm reading your statement right, I'm supposed to be sitting in a grass hut in a third world country while you live the better life ?

So what's wrong with a grass hut?
You post that like it is a bad thing.
edit on 103030p://bMonday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

So what's wrong with a grass hut?

You're joking right ? I deserve a house, electricity, clean water and food like everyone else. What is wrong with that ?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

For example, there are elements of some segments of Islamic culture that would violate our natural law, i.e. freedom of speech and equal treatment under the law. There are cultural mores in strict Islamic cultures where men and women are not considered to be equal

The US has laws in place which prohibit unequal treatment between races and genders in their society. Why is it a problem if a Muslim flouts these laws, as opposed to a non-Muslim ?

There are no ''Muslim only laws'' and ''non-Muslim only laws'' which operate in Western society. The laws of a country apply to everyone, equally.

There are cultural mores in strict Islamic cultures where men and women are not considered to be equal, something repugnant to me and directly opposed to the Natural Law the US was founded on, e.g. that all men are created equal.

Yeah, that ''natural law'' was really applicable to West African people at the time of the founding of the USA.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleak
Ah, of course! After all, who doesn't love retarded music being blasted from cars, half the town being on government assistance, marauding gangs that pound you to a pulp if they notice your skin is too light, etc.

Who said you have to LOVE what other people do? See, this makes it sound like you have no respect for people who like different music than you or are less fortunate than you are.

Which culture has 1/2 its people on government assistance? The American culture?

Which culture is made up of gangs that attack light-skinned people? Because if that's part of a culture, then we're going to have to say that it's part of American Culture to have marauding gangs that pound you to a pulp if they find out you sleep with the 'wrong' gender or that your skin is too dark.

Are you sure you know what culture is?

If that's the best your people can do, then yes. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT the responsibility of any other race to take care of yours.

Are we talking about race or culture?

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Bingo and here's where it gets nasty. Now he's in the race talk, shine your true colours on ATS huh ? Culture and race are two different stories.
Multiculturalism isn't going anywhere, no matter how much you whine OP.
edit on 12-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Well of course you deserve the best, I am saying maybe people that live in grass huts would be offended, maybe they like their grass huts, I sometimes think I would prefer one.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Heartisblack

Well of course you deserve the best, I am saying maybe people that live in grass huts would be offended, maybe they like their grass huts, I sometimes think I would prefer one.

Amen to that, It depends on where you live too, I wouldn't mind a grass hut in a place where I know I wouldn't be disturbed. I'd live on a hippy commune for that matter, three of my uncles did it and they're just as happy. Never mind the rest of the family is tearing their bloody hair up by the root.

As for OP, just trying to stir up the brown sticky stuff.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
People seem to naturally segregate themselves, no one spoke English in the neighborhood I grew up in, it was where the hunks lived, a few blocks over the Italian Catholic neighborhood, and another section the Irish Catholics, now I live in a diverse inner city neighborhood, we all get along.

It is a very interesting topic.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

...so, you're a white seperatist in a multi-cultural town?... well, if you dont like it - move... no one's forcing you to stay... arizona and idaho have a big population of white supremacists... maybe you'd be happier there...

Why the *snip* should I have to move? Admit it: diversity IS forced on people. It seems as if there's very little choice in the matter.

And the fact that you assume that I'm White is rather telling! So it's only Whites who have a problem with diversity? Hmmmm.............

reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Working class people are culturally different to middle class people who are culturally different to upper class people. Christians are culturally different to non-Christians. These, and many other, cultural differences have existed for centuries in British society.

Read between the lines. That's not what I'm referring to when I speak of multiculturalism.

Diversity is an inclusive community of people with varied human characteristics, ideas, and world-views and whose interactions both benefit and challenge each other to grow while making the community better.

Such a community will:

enhance access, attract and retain a diverse population and promote
equity and equal opportunity.
encourage interaction among diverse people to enrich the educational
experience, promote personal growth and enhance the community .
foster mutual respect, value differences and promote cross cultural
understanding
prepare leaders to live and work in a competitive global community.

Oh, WOW. Still more libtard propaganda.
You're speaking theoretically; how it works in practice is a different matter entirely.

Mod Note: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 9/12/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleak

Lets not make this a race issue. Even tough race and culture is usually correlated in a population, they are different things. The topic is multiculturalism, not multiethnicism.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join