It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Killed By Toxic Fumes At McDonald's south Georgia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I would imagine with the run up to the 10 th anniversary of 911 that there will be a lot of nervous home land security officers .Hopefully this just turns out to be accidentally mixed cleaning chemicals. My condolences and hope the others who were effected make full recoverys.

A woman has died and nine other people have received hospital treatment after breathing in toxic fumes at a McDonald's restaurant in the US.

Authorities said the 80-year-old was overcome by fumes from an unidentified source at a branch of the chain in Pooler, south Georgia.

Nine others - three firefighters, five customers and one McDonald's worker - needed medical treatment after falling ill.
news.sky.com...
The elderly woman was one of two females found unconscious in the bathroom on Wednesday afternoon, officials said. She died early on Thursday.

Fire chief Wade Simmons said an investigation to find the source of the fumes was under way.

Local reports named the dead woman as Anne Felton, from Florida, and said a toxic mix of chemicals may have been the cause.

Hazmat (hazardous materials) teams were sent to the restaurant and sprayed down those feeling ill at the scene before they were taken to hospital, the Savannah Morning News reported.

edit on 8-9-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Most likely resulted from a mixture of cleaning products containing bleach & ammonia.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Sounds like someone may have mixed chlorine bleach and ammonia or an acid. Deadly mixture if you ignore the warnings labeled on the bottles.

Most likely that is what this is. Chlorine Gas is deadly. I remember being taught not to do that as a child.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Chloine and toilet bowl cleaner make "mustard gas".

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of a strange incident I had with some icecream I bought, a few days ago. It was a plastic bucket of locally (down state) made stuff I picked up at a nearby gas station with a store in it. When you take the lid off, one whif, and you get nasaly blasted with this total chemical sensation. It makes me think of antifreeze, or some 'sweet' chemical found in an auto mechanic's garage. Every red flag of revulsion and alarm goes up, like your (well, my anyway) physiology instantly knows it's poison. I tasted it, and it tastes like how it smells. It was supposed to be "cookie dough" but does not come close to that! I suppose I could have raised some ruckus, but all I wanted to do was fling it into a dumpster outside.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

Every red flag of revulsion and alarm goes up, like your (well, my anyway) physiology instantly knows [color=FFD4A3]it's poison. I tasted it, and it tastes like how it smells.
I am not completely sure if that was intentional or not.
Either way, that cracked me up.

edit on 9/8/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

My excuse is, that I was Jonesing for natural cookie dough icecream, and like any desperate addict, will smoke the irregeno, or inhale the rock of (sugar!) because someone ripped me off with bad bad junk, at the time when I need a fix the most.
They just better be glad I'm not in the mood to retaliate. Thats all. (Thats cuz their pizza was really good instead).

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
This thread reminds me of a strange incident I had with some icecream I bought, a few days ago. It was a plastic bucket of locally (down state) made stuff I picked up at a nearby gas station with a store in it. When you take the lid off, one whif, and you get nasaly blasted with this total chemical sensation. It makes me think of antifreeze, or some 'sweet' chemical found in an auto mechanic's garage. Every red flag of revulsion and alarm goes up, like your (well, my anyway) physiology instantly knows it's poison. I tasted it, and it tastes like how it smells. It was supposed to be "cookie dough" but does not come close to that! I suppose I could have raised some ruckus, but all I wanted to do was fling it into a dumpster outside.

I don't know if this the case, but I had similar experience that may be the same.

Frozen Heath Bars used to be a favorite of mine. I bought a box of them and took one out as I put it in the freezer. Without looking I took a bite, got an odor like you describe and an odd taste. I looked and there was a blueish tint to part of the Bar.

Not knowing what it was I immediately contacted the maker and got nobody willing to talk so I called the FDA who directed me to an office to call in Seattle.

To make this short, it turned out to be non-toxic liquid they use to clean the tanks between batches. The office I called immediately got in touch with the exact location that made it and since it had happened before what it was was well known and the color verified it. Harmless but odd flavor and odor all the same. I was offered a case for free but I'm not vindictive for harmless oversights by workers.
edit on 9/9/2011 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
When does the madness stop? The news gets sicker by the day.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Dumbed down people do dumb things.

Even without chlorine and ammonia both readily to mix (sold next to each other everywhere for crying out loud)

Oh and free flouridated water at McD's, but if you want non-flouridated, you have to pay!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Most likely resulted from a mixture of cleaning products containing bleach & ammonia.

I remembering that happening some years back not far from here. In that case only the poor fool woman that made the mistake got sick . The other people ran out of the fast food joint and was OK. She was a new hire and was cleaning the bath rooms. She did not have a clue as to the stuff she was given to use. I see this as nothing more than a dumb accident

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
These huge chain fast food joints don't train their employees properly on this stuff. All they care about is if they know how to work a cash register and take peoples money. When you have that many locations sucking up money like a vacuum cleaner, and that many employees that are most likely not gonna work there for more than a half year, its cheaper to pay out a lawsuit once in a while than take the proper time to train your workers. Oh, after this incident, Mcdonalds will focus on that aspect of safety, and then in a few years, the next tbing will POP up, like E.Coli, or undercooked meat, or who knows what, and then that will be the focus so they can regain their customers trust once again... After all, they have a certain percentage of the population hooked on their food, so they won't lose a lot of business from this, or any mishap. And they will continue to have poor, unsafe business business practices so they can make $200 million in profits this quarter instead of only $190M, or whatever the ratio is. Safety costs money. And the quality of their food gives you an idea of how seriously they take the other aspects of running an honest business, which is actually an oxymoron to begin with in a capitalist system so we shouldn't be surprised.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Jeez, now we can add McDonals's AIR to the list of unhealthy stuff coming out of that place...

McD's air... loving-it...da da da dada
edit on 10-9-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

the must have overcooked the nuggets

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
So it's official. Eating at McDonald's can Kill You. Another good reason to boycott them. Seriously, if you like this evil fast food you need to see the documentary Supersize Me. It shows how bad McDonald's food can be for you.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
So it's official. Eating at McDonald's can Kill You. Another good reason to boycott them. Seriously, if you like this evil fast food you need to see the documentary Supersize Me. It shows how bad McDonald's food can be for you.

I've seen that movie but still enjoy my regular Big Mac meal every now and then as a treat to myself.

I'd have said something like "well, she shouldn't have sat too close to the bathroom" but I'll resist.

Oh wait....

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Who is going to protect the worker? They reopened the McDonalds shortly afterwards. These workers should not have to act as guinea pigs for corporate profits. So the officials do not know what the cause of 1 death and 9 hospitalizations are and the corporation marches all these minimum wage earners right back into a possible death trap. Shame on them and if something did happen they would just point to the tort reform they had passed into law that would limit the amount they paid on each life.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Something like this happened to me at a Taco Bell when I was 7. I urinated in a urinal that they had poured ammonia in and it started fuming, I threw up
and my eyes were burning. My mom raised cane and we got free lunch out of it, I was fine after a few hours.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I bought some Schwan's bomb pops few years ago. I opened it up and bit into it and started gagging and throwing up. There was some yucky brown substance in it. I never got anything from Schwan's again.

At the time I thought it might be oil or grease from machinery.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Well, their chocolate chip cookies and sweet tea are usually pretty good. Everything else is poisoned with high fructose corn syrup.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join