It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mich. governor signs 48-month welfare limit

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by illuminatislave

Of course.
If it were "easy" then no-one would be unemployed now. It'll take effort, but getting "paid" for 4 years just to look for a job sounds pretty darned nice. There may be an "ability" to work, but what may be missing is the "will".

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by SHABBYCAT

What happen to you happen to my daughter also, with two bachelors degree in science and research he found out that in America Indians students (from India no US citizens) have priority when it comes to tax payer grants for research.

She tried for a year to get a grant to research but even when she graduated with honors Indian students were chosen.

So she settler for a job in a bank, after two years she feels cheated and understand what America has become, now she is back in school trying to get become a Physicians assistant, thanks to her medical background she has been able to cut the school time in half.

Sad what our American students have to endure in their own country.

Very soon America is going to be the most over qualified nation with workers in minimum wages working in Wal-mart and fast food chains.

But still receiving welfare assistance to be able to feed their families.

It's a shame really, they don't make it worth it to pay an arm and a leg for schooling when you don't stand a chance once you graduate. Especially when the government has tossed Americans to the wayside for foreign interests.

Americans will be forced to forgo college and become trained in a skill or trade that will be applicable in this new environment. It will be either that, or working a damn register for scraps.

People don't understand that the government and it's controllers are imposing a welfare state on the populace. It's ridiculous that there are people that work forty hrs a week and still have to apply for assistance.

You can't advocate a trickle down agenda and then blame the ones on the bottom with no power or resources from the start for everything wrong with the country.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Sadly the fault rest on the us the tax payer and voter, we allow this abuse to happen and just seat in from of our computers and complain.

I guess we as citizens been used and abused is normal.

Have you seen articles on how our teachers in the nation are also mostly on welfare.

Sad, but you are right, we are going backward, the great prosperity that US used to enjoy during my parents times and early in my time is been replaced and slowly we are turning into a pre industrial developing nation, we once upon a time America industry made this nation prosperous.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
If it was as hard to get on welfare as it is to get on Social Security disability this wouldn't even be an issue. I agree this is a good start but again it's a bit like stomping on a baby mouse while leaving the 20lb sewer rat (bankers) happily munching away in your cupboard.
If you can't improve your situation in 4 years then you probably are in need of real help.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
well if things in old detrout werent bad enough it will be hell shortly. i predict armed rebellion

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
So is Michigan going to end up leaving the Union and joining Canada? It almost seems like the only thing they can do after the comedy of errors. The states in ruins.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Have you seen articles on how our teachers in the nation are also mostly on welfare.

Of course, and I believe them because they don't pay teachers worth a damn. I have been certifed in the field but with all of the nonsense going on I'd rather stay at my current job for as long as it lasts. Who knows nowadays?

And that just unwraps another problem. Investing into and maintaining a solid standard of teachers is crucial for education, meaning the next generation of americans get short changed if you fail to do so. Uneducated populaces lag behind, the money will flow to whoever is innovating and can complete.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by orbitbaby
This is going to be interesting. Michigan has one of the highest
unemployment rates in the country. Where are these people
supposed to get jobs?

That is what I am wondering. Why are they so worried about cutting off welfare and not worried about creating jobs?
A lot of people seem to think there is a job for every person that wants one in the US and that is just not the case.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

But don't worry Obama is going to ask for billions to once again to create jobs remember that those billions are not free, they are tax payer dollars, now how this is going to help the debt that is been pile on the tax payer and the nation beats me.

Still some billions from that next stimulus is going to pay for retirement pensions for the US postal service that is in the same stage as the USPS.

When the government has to use tax payer money to create jobs without producing anything, that would not take you out of welfare, this is nothing but a hoax to make his administration look good.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
If you can't improve your situation in 4 years then you probably are in need of real help.

This used to be a true statement. However, the problem now is that people are making more money on welfare than working.

My girlfriend was on unemployment for 6 months or so. She then got a job in an office making $35 K per year. The problem? She is actually making less due to the benefits she was receiving while on unemployment. Now, she has to pay for benefits. Her under 18 child no longer receives $950 per month from SSI because she makes more than $28k. She also lost her $950 per month check she was receiving because she was a single parent making less than $28k (her husband died, so SS kicked in). She no longer qualifies for food stamps. We sat down and actually did the numbers....she's losing about $11k per year now that she has a job. She also lost her son's private school grant, reduced lunch cost, and money she was getting to take night classes at a local college.

The whole system is out of whack.

But trying to tell people currently dependent on the system that the money is drying up is like trying to convince a $50k per year employee that he really can't afford the same house as someone making $100k. It's the new mantra of "I'm entitled to everything you have because you have too much" syndrome.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Um
Ok?

Anyway, back on topic....

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Of course.
If it were "easy" then no-one would be unemployed now. It'll take effort, but getting "paid" for 4 years just to look for a job sounds pretty darned nice. There may be an "ability" to work, but what may be missing is the "will".

Does it really sound nice? Do you really understand what a wonderful lifestyle being on welfare is? Do you envy it? Nothing is stopping you from giving up all you own, losing your automobiles, moving into subsidized housing, and living on mac and cheese. Go for it finally instead of always complaining how great it is for others. Go do it yourself. I look forward to many threads from you about how awesome being poor in America is.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

State Health and Human Services Director Maura Corrigan said in a statement that "the fiscal reality is that we cannot afford to provide lifetime cash assistance to recipients who are able to work."

“Michigan can no longer afford to provide lifetime assistance,” said Sheryl Thompson, an official with the state Department of Human Services, which reported that of those being dropped from the state’s cash-assistance rolls, some 1,200 families had been receiving payments for 10 years , more than 700 others for a dozen years , and an additional 400 families had been getting payments for 14 years.

I think that sums it up. We aren't talking the elderly, disabled, those caring for them. Its people who could work. They had been under Federal welfare reforms adopted in the mid-1990s (under Democrat Bill Clinton, I might add) which previously limited benefits to needy families to 60 months within a lifetime, which doesn't seem to have been enforced before.

We have gotten used to giving unemployment benefits for 79 Weeks (1.5 years) and then extending them even further and giving food stamp assistance to 30,000 college students. You know who pays for unemployment....businesses and taxpayers. The extension in unemployment benefits has surely had an effect on business hiring. Just from the $$$ some companies have to pay out for unemployment, I'm sure it has keep hiring even down more.

Sooner or later there comes a time when you've got to go fish rather than be handed fish indefinitely.

Social programs should be a safety net, not a permanent situation for people.

edit on 7-9-2011 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

What good is being able to work if there is no one to pay you for it?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Sorry dear I didn't mean to confused you with my post.

Pavil, you are right it was under Clinton that some kind of "reform" was done, but the problem here is that like many other "reforms" states do not really have to implement them, only when money is starting to run dry they want something done and that is what is happening to most states and their welfare services and unmployment benefits.

Still what good is to find a job that still do not pay enough ot get you of welfare, if you find one at all.

I live in GA I know the meaning of able bodies on welfare, but we also have high unemployment.

Job creation is nothing but a big hoax and I hate how is been paraded like a mantra by the govenrment when we know is a lie, is just another excuse to keep spending tax payer dollars.

edit on 7-9-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Sorry dear I didn't mean to confused you with my post.

You did not confuse me with your post. I have no clue what it has to do with the topic. Last I checked Obama was not the governor of Michigan. In fact, I see nothing in any of this that has anything to do with Obama. Now you are talking about Clinton?

Take that to someone else. Not interested in goal post shifting in order to bash unrelated items.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Calm down dear I am sorry if you are having a bad, day, today.

I am not in any agenda and I am not advocating for anything, the topic of the thread is related also to what is going on in government right now, we are to get 300 billion for stimulus. This money will go to the states in an effort to "create jobs". Plain and simple, this may "help" Mich. still is nothing but a joke.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

I see, is ok dear I do not take baiting for anybody, have a good day.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DanUKphd
reply to post by TXRabbit

Personally- I have no problem with this bill as it does not affect me

Of course it will affect you. If you live in any state that enacts this sort of bill then chances are you'll get robbed. On the 1st of October your chances of being mugged, burgled, goes up by 10,000 to one. Actually it's more than 10,000 because some of those who get their benefits cut will turn to drug dealing to make ends meet, and the more addicts there are the more crime needs to be committed to support their habit.

So what your saying is they should legalize it all and destroy the black market?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Calm down dear I am sorry if you are having a bad, day, today.

People on ATS sure do assume a lot. Do not worry yourself about my day. My day is going just fine. You are projecting and it is unbecoming really.

I am not in any agenda and I am not advocating for anything, the topic of the thread is related also to what is going on in government right now, we are to get 300 billion for stimulus. This money will go to the states in an effort to "create jobs". Plain and simple, this may "help" Mich. still is nothing but a joke.

Well I never said anything about an agenda. I just have no idea what your post has to do with anything I said about this topic. If you just want to talk about Obama, invite me to a thread about Obama and we can do that. I guess I am just sick of every single topic on ATS turning into an excuse to say his name. It does not apply to anything I said about this topic. Use someone else to talk about Obama and stimulus here if you need to.

Anyway BACK ON TOPIC........

AGAIN

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join