It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone is copying and reposting your posts under another name on another site

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by obummerdeception
Who cares?

Leeches have always existed.

I do not think (unless said someone was charging for the copied material)
it is such a big deal..

What do you want them to do?

Call 911??

The FBI????

National Guard??

Your cavalier attitude about someone else's work may not be shared by them, so don't be silly. This is a civil matter and could be pursued from that direction.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

I thionk either ATS or the original author could both pursue this if they wanted to.

Why would they want to spend there own resources
as limited as they are on something like this..

Maybe they could pursue it, but at what cost??

I'm sure it is not free.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I've been a member of ATS, and eventually/ultimately a member of Staff, for over 6 years now.

Never in that time have I witnessed or experienced anything even remotely close to that which is or has been purported on the Many 'upstarts' created by previously banned members since ... Not Once.

What typically happens is that a given member finds themself and/or their 'cohorts' and friends unable to adhere to the Terms & Conditions agreed to.

They find themselves, or others 'close to them on the boards', having been actioned or post banned by staff ...

Depending upon the level or extent of D-Ego, either acquired or self-perceived by/at that point ... it often goes downhill quite rapidly.

with:
"you're silencing the truth"
"you're censoring my voice"
"you nazi, commie .gov shills, etc."
taking the reins.

We've no place nor time for such, given the Many members who have no issue nor problem with posting within the same T&C agreed to by all.

As with near anything in life, You can't please everyone ... no matter how hard you try.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No. I'm no lackey or self-appointed rah-rah for the site ... just telling it like i've seen it over the years. *fullstop*

nake13
You, and every member, have full 'copyright' and 'ownership' over that which you post to the boards ... ATS merely holds a non-exclusive right to republish or use said content as she sees fit - per the T&C agreed to.

No one is silencing voices or attempting to bridle horses they don't 'own'.

Your voice is Yours ... and forever will be ... within the T&C.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I noticed this aswell. I typed my username in google and got quite a few hits taking my threads from here and posting over on another site. They usually give credit to me though.

Pred...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by trika3000

Originally posted by trika3000
Why wouldn't ATS want its members (us) to know about another website using our posts and using them under another person's name?

Well, I for one am relieved to learn someone is stealing my posts and re-posting them under another name!!!!

When the SHTF and the authorities come looking, perhaps they will be confused and go after the other guy first!

i like ATS and read threads everyday and totally enjoy some of the enlightening and constructive posts from some members.

So in all seriousness, here are my observations:

If you really like ATS, you sort of have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

They're just protecting their interests, and frankly, after seeing the following, I think you could argue they are protecting you too!

from: XmodX sent: 27-8-2011 at 11:34 PM There are actually lots of sites out there like that, and one of the problems, aside from "hit whoring", is that they often farm IP addresses for nefarious purposes.

Knowing that, I doubt I will go searching for that site.

edit on 1-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Who cares?

Leeches have always existed.

I do not think (unless said someone was charging for the copied material)
it is such a big deal..

What do you want them to do?

Call 911??

The FBI????

National Guard??

Your cavalier attitude about someone else's work may not be shared by them, so don't be silly. This is a civil matter and could be pursued from that direction.

I'M NOT being silly..

You are!

Your suggesting said someone spend thousands of dollars, to track down,
server papers, investigate, all the run around over something so minimal..

If the said someone was loosing money over it, and other said someone was stealing/leeching the material and making money off of it, I could see your point..

You must remember these other websites do not hold themselves to as HIGH of a standard as ATS..

THAT website should take care of the leechers... Nuff said
edit on 1-9-2011 by obummerdeception because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It's childsplay to set up autoposts from this site to another website or blog.

The RS feed makes it even easier, so that posts or threads written on ATS can be posted on other sites automaticaly without human intervention after set up.

The original authors name etc can also be deleted and replaced by a name of your own choosing too.

This is not at all surprising and I'm sure a myriad of sites out there duplicate content from here.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I thionk either ATS or the original author could both pursue this if they wanted to.

I'm sure it is not free.

That's for them to decide, not you. I just contacted one of the posters in this situation who is very interested in pursuing it. It doesn't have to be in the form of a lawsuit. A simple complaint might do the trick. the DMCA could be used, for example. Depending on the situation, it might very well be worthwhile.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

edit on 1-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: condensed a post

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I'm sure it is not free.

That's for them to decide, not you. I just contacted one of the posters in this situation who is very interested in pursuing it. It doesn't have to be in the form of a lawsuit. A simple complaint might do the trick. the DMCA could be used, for example. Depending on the situation, it might very well be worthwhile.

A simple complaint to a rouge phish farm site infected with morons? Maybe, maybe not.

The DMCA?? Good luck down that rabbit hole..
This stuff happens a million times a month online.

edit on 1-9-2011 by obummerdeception because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nake13

It probably is not worth the trouble for ATS to follow up on the random recycling of some posts. After all, who did it? Was it some lone wolves out there using the thinking of others as their own, or that site puffing up the intelligence of their own posters, or, very likely, cross posting which is against the rules?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The entire mechanism of ATS is all about material posted by it's members and as with everything on the internet it's immediately cached by GOOGLE.

Do a search on any topic conspiracy related and ATS is always near the top and look at the date of the cached information.

My brother works with the development of webcrawlers AND for Google.

This is what directs traffic to ATS and what the advertising companies are paying ATS for. It's adsense ratings.

The Traffic which translates to $$$$.

So essentially your content/contributions are already public domain as soon as posted because Google has already cached it without any copyright, it's public domain.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

While google searching for an ATS member on-line to see if that person had posts outside of ATS, i stumbled upon a website which copies posts from ATS threads. This other website also signs the copied ATS posts as being from a member on that other website.
Big deal. You do realise that anything you post is copyright of The Above Network, LLC. and not you don't you?

ATS owners have already profited from your work (if you put anything into your posts/threads) anyway by virtue of the traffic our work (coupled with their quality platform) generates. If someone made a $million from my work I might be worried but the Amigos lawyers would be on them not me. If someone else makes a couple of bucks out of our work who gives a S***?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Well it seems ATS is the new GLP when it comes to mentioning a website the Host site doesnt want you to see. When ATS holds back the the flow of information and discussion their actions are completely inconsistent with the true purpose of hosting a site like this. I hate to say it, but shame on you ATS once again.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
hmmm i do see a level of paradox in this concern,

but then again, i do accept ATS is one of the most stellar type of conspiracy or 'before it hits the MSM news' type of sites

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander
Big deal. You do realise that anything you post is copyright of The Above Network, LLC. and not you don't you?

ATS owners have already profited from your work (if you put anything into your posts/threads) anyway by virtue of the traffic our work (coupled with their quality platform) generates. If someone made a $million from my work I might be worried but the Amigos lawyers would be on them not me. If someone else makes a couple of bucks out of our work who gives a S***?

and what pays for those lawyers to protect the right's of your works and the like posted on the boards?

ad revenue generated by the same does ... and guaranteed not cheap, either.

If someone else makes a couple of bucks out of our work who gives a S***?

make all you wish from your own works, 'efforts' and/or contributions to the boards ... ?
?

ATS has no say, ownership or governance over that aspect whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

hmmm i do see a level of paradox in this concern

Paradoxes are the reason for a lot of conspiracies...

Here's one just for the LOL...
The next sentence i write will be false.
The last sentence i wrote was true.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

If someone else makes a couple of bucks out of our work who gives a S***?

make all you wish from your own works, 'efforts' and/or contributions to the boards ... ?
?

ATS has no say, ownership or governance over that aspect whatsoever.
I think you have highlighted my ignorance. I know absolutely nothing about the legal side of this. I'm glad you pointed that out.

I was advised by a legal friend to be careful what I post. That was probably more about publishers needing to be first to the goodies than about copyright but I didn't ask enough questions obviously.

As I said, I would be worried if somebody made stack out of my original work through plagiarism - although on ATS, apart from a few UFO tit-bits, that isn't the goodies.

Note to members: It probably wouldn't be in your best interests to take legal advice from an internet persona called Pimander.

edit on 1/9/11 by Pimander because: typo

edit on 1/9/11 by Pimander because: typo

P.S. Thanks for having the clout to give us a degree of protection. I have to admit to not looking at it that way before.

edit on 1/9/11 by Pimander because: add P.S.

edit on 1/9/11 by Pimander because: my #e English

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Hahahaha.. This was posted on the other website and i copied and pasted back here... Now this thread is in somekind of weird feedback loop...

Someone is copying and reposting your posts under another name on another site
Written by TheEye on 01 September 2011
While google searching for an ATS member on-line to see if that person had posts outside of ATS, i stumbled upon a website which copies posts from ATS threads. This other website also...
Tags: 911 conspiracies, alien, breaking news, city news, conspiracies theories, conspiracy, conspiracy the, conspiracy theorist, conspiracy theorists, conspiracy theorys, conspiracy theroies, conspiracy theroy, current news, daily news, daily news newspaper, headlines, headlines with, illuminati, in news, international news, live news, members of illuminati, news, news article, news articles, news breaking, news channel, news for today, news headlines, news international, news live, news of today, news on line, news online, news paper, news papers, news reports, news today, online news, recent news, theories conspiracy, theory conspiracy, to day news, today news, tv news, ufo, ufo s, ufo sighting, ufo sightings, world news, www.news
Posted in Conspiracy | No Comments »

Recycle or Captain Planet Will Turn You Into a Tree [NSFW]

Simulation Map of Cesium-137 Deposition Across the Pacific by CEREA Shows Contamination in US Greater Than That of Western Japan Leave a Reply

PS notice it's not my name as the poster but "theEye"
edit on 1-9-2011 by trika3000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It looks like maybe they are using some sort of live feed to supply info from here to their site.

This is kinda weird, to be honest.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join