It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone is copying and reposting your posts under another name on another site

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Ok, so I couldn't resist and I had to take a peek to see what I could find if I Googled some of my thread titles.

I have all kinds of bloggers taking credit for my stuff...and a few forums too!

A few sites refer back here, but many are just stealing the material. Even the formatting and images I use.

I guess I'm not surprised, other than the number of examples.

Suckers!!! I'm sending the men-in-black your way!!! I am innocent, I tell ya!!!
edit on 1-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
empires often fall due to duplication, like push down pop up effect in the drug war you know.

that's why it pays to have friends cause you don't want to be friendless when they take your #.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by loam

Ok, so I couldn't resist and I had to take a peek to see what I could find if I Googled some of my thread titles.

Oh no, don't say that! OK, I admit it - I give a # now!

If it's a big/popular site report the bastards to ATS admin straight away. Any hackers on here know how to bomb or hack them or something? (Don't answer on a board though 'cos that's not allowed.)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I'm curious as to how much ATS is worth. Exactly how much money is in this for the owners, and is it more about the money, or denying ignorance?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
What site are we talking about here?

The watch site? The god site? the US site?

I'm trying to not say the name but if someone could help me, I'm a little slow.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
I'm curious as to how much ATS is worth. Exactly how much money is in this for the owners, and is it more about the money, or denying ignorance?

According to www.statshow.com...

Website Worth: $285,097.85
Daily Pageviews: 278,960
Daily Visitors: 126,799
Daily Ads Revenue: $781.09

Much more than that though in reality due to its potential to gauge public opinion and provide consumer information. Other types of info are likely to be of value too.

abovetopsecret.com has a global rank of #3,764 which puts itself among the top 10,000 most popular websites worldwide. abovetopsecret.com rank has increased 5% over the last 3 months. abovetopsecret.com was launched at May 18, 1997 and is 14 years and 109 days old. It reaches roughly 3,803,970 users and delivers about 8,368,800 pageviews each month. Its estimated monthly revenue is $23,432.70. We estimate the value and worth of abovetopsecret.com to be around $285,097.85. The domain abovetopsecret.com uses a Commercial suffix and its server(s) are located in United States with the IP number 75.126.76.151. abovetopsecret.com is also listed on Dmoz.
Source: www.statshow.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

It's none of the three you mentioned
- but i think if you go back a page and look for my Copy/Paste from the other site where they copied this thread then googled the name of the poster who is not me, it will come up

UPDATE:
Sorry i just did that and it didn't come up

edit on 1-9-2011 by trika3000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The more who look, the more it will happen because information is viral. really all you can do is pay attention and be flexible. maybe we should go back to books.

oh god i'm confused now.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by trika3000

So I googled those threads in your last post and a few sites come up each time... I guess people really do just steal threads and so on.

Not like I didn't think they did, but must piss people off man.

I don't make too many threads and none worth stealing, but if I did... I'd probably be slightly annoyed.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I'd probably be slightly annoyed.

Meh. I guess it's kind of a compliment too.

To this site and it's members.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I'd probably be slightly annoyed.

Meh. I guess it's kind of a compliment too.

To this site and it's members.

So they say impersonation is one of the most
sincere forms of flattery..

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Well that's the thing, at least the info is getting out and people are reading "our" stuff, even if it is under someone else's name.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery.... and all that.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I have taken MY post from other sites and posted to ATS. these may be under a different screen name.

Sometimes this is so i am posting in the third person so that i do not have to post a view on a subject that may be controversial as being posted under my ATS screen name.

I always attribute my post to my self when i do it and under some cases i have even plugged ATS on other sites.

I have a number of screen names that i use on the internet.

If i want to copyright something i post it on my blog and then post it to other sites under other screen names with It attributed to my blog posting.
Since the blog posting is time stamped first that is the copyright first post.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
You put a lot into this thread mon. For me ? That alone gets a star and a flag. As I'm sure others have said, once I post here it's out of my hands as property of ATS.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Any member who finds content that they initially posted on ATS being duplicated elsewhere on the 'net, authored by another or simply not properly attributed via the creative commons agreement.

PLEASE let us know via the Contact@ email addy.

It's not 'Kosher' and Will be addressed appropriately.

*10:1 says the 'Kosher' reference generates a new 'ATS - Secret Societies' or 'Social Issues' thread in the next half hour or so*

[eta]
Site Admin said 'kosher' .... they must be run by and subordinate to Joos

edit on 9/1/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This has happened before. Each time I have seen it brought up ATS did something about it (they have lawyers too, if it goes that far*). They can quote your stuff but, only if they provide proper attribution and a link to the ATS page where they found it.

*Each time I saw this it was handeled by Skeptic O. or Springer contacting the offending site's owner/admin.

ATS' T&C of use (Use Of Content; Copyright.):

6) Use Of Content; Copyright. All content created by Users of TAN website are governed by an "Attribution - NonCommercial - NoDerivs 3.0 Unported" Creative Commons Deed (hereinafter "Creative Commons License"). Users can share, distribute, copy, and transmit the work Users find on TAN websites provided Users provide proper attribution that includes the name of the Website User, the name of the Website, and a link to the content thread. These usage rights do not apply to any commercial use of the content found on TAN websites, and such use is strictly prohibited without prior written authorization from TAN. These usage rights also do not apply to derivative works, and such use is strictly prohibited without prior written authorization from TAN. Each post of each thread contains a "copyright" link that clearly specifies the method in which the material may be shared, distributed, modified, or used.

You will not copy, distribute, display, or publicly perform material from the Websites to Post on other websites or quote in offline research in a manner that does not comply with the Creative Commons License that specifies the author's member name as a member of AboveTopSecret.com, includes The Above Network, LLC and the member as owners of the content, provides the title of the thread, and a full URL to the board thread.

(emphasis, Rren) Read more: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported

If you feel ATS or one of its users is ripping off your stuff ATS has that covered too:

About ATS: DMCA:

We Respect Your Content

It is our policy to respond to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (found at the U.S. Copyright Office) and other applicable intellectual property laws. It is our policy to remove material from public view that we believe in good faith to be copyrighted material that has been illegally copied and distributed by any of our members or users. It is also our policy to terminate the accounts of repeat offenders. If we remove or disable access to comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act we will make a good-faith attempt to contact the owner, author, or administrator of each affected site so that they may make a counter notification pursuant to sections 512(g)(2) and (3) of that Act

Hope this helps...
edit on Thu Sep 1 2011 by Rren because: typo/busted BB code

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

reply to post by loam

OK, I'm vain too.

The bastards got me too!

Seriously though, one of those sites gets a lot of hits and I'm telling the Amigos. This thread needs more flags dudes.

P.S. I grassed em up.
edit on 1/9/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I am a photographer and I know others
post my photos on their various sites.
I have found my work on other sites
posted by someone else. Not much
I can do other than sign my work -
its not kosher but its the net. I don't
have time or wish to track it down and
start a big stir. I suppose this is the
same with written material.
edit on 1-9-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
All of those pathetic sites that steal content combined could not even come close to the EXPOSURE that content can get here on ATS... So let them do as they wish.

Seriously, they can steal everything on ATS, and maybe they'll get 10 people to view some of it.

PfffffffFt

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
If somebody likes my little tyrades here on ATS enough to post them somewhere, then thats alrighty with me........

It's the internets man.

Everything you type goes somewhere through something and stored in something somewhere

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join