It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moderate Quakes Striking Odd Places in USA...Coincidence Or Not? Let's Find Out.

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Ionized Radiation from the Fukushima Nuclear criticality is blowing over America.

Ionized Radiation is a conductor for the highly charged particles in the Van Allen Belt.....feeding massive amounts of energy to ground...where the crystalline rocks deep underground are receiving the energy and causing Earthquakes.

Watch the Radiation monitoring network for the US:

radiationnetwork.com...

You'll eventually see earthquakes where the levels have been higher.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Would it be possible for you to kind of explain these feelings you are feeling. What I mean is can you describe how your body feels, such as maybe a headache, sick to stomach, stuff like that. Also how do you equate these feelings to potential earthquakes.

I am being truely sincere in asking these questions. I do not believe in prediction, but I will give credit where it is due and you did say to keep an eye on OK before this quake happened. I am just curious to hear how you feel when you get these feelings.

If you start to get any feelings for northern ND/MN border area let me know cause thats where I live.
edit on 5-11-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

Well, I am really cautious about ever making a bold 'prediction'...or at least to keep my posts regarding feelings and such to a couple of threads that are dedicated to that. I try and keep my quake threads more 'backed up' with some scientific or historical data. (excpet with my dogs. I am convinced they hear quakes) Even my theories that are out there a bit, are based at least on some science, history or geological formations.

I will go ahead and tell you though, since you ask. I just want to let those others reading know that I never made a prediction.....I'm not looking for any pats or acknowledgement.

Lately...especially the last six months or so I have been exploring my spiritual side more. Since the Japan quake I have really tried to pay more attention to how I am feeling and if it may correlate with anything geophysical. I firmly believe I 'felt' the Japan quake coming....it is well documented here on ATS. Again, not lookng for recognition (a lot of people felt it), just giving you some background.

I went back through this thread to find where I first mentioned Oklahoma. It was 8/23:

posted on 23-8-2011 @ 08:36 PM this post reply to post by Robin Marks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well Robin....THAT is an interesting theory,and it makes sense.

It also goes a long ways to explain some of the wierd stuff (signatures) going on with the Arkansas swarm. (I know what you were referring to)

Obviously, the more water in the ground, the greater the liquifaction. This would perhaps lend credence as to why the quake was so widely felt? There is WHOLE lotta mining going on over there in Virginia.

So then the question would lead to: what next? Ofcourse, still we wouldn't really know the answer to that. I am starting to form a picture in my mind now of what it must look like just below the surface in the states. Including the shale, gas, water (natural and injected) all coming together with known and unknown faults, minerals, vibrations and liquifaction. Hmmmmmmm.....

ETA: For whatever reason, I feel like we need to be watching Oklahoma.

This was before the quakes had begun there.

The reason I wrote this? Ok, here goes;

That day (8/23) I was thinking about the odd quakes that this thread was originally about. As I have said, I feel that there is something I'm missing...the bigger picture as I like to call it. Being more open to just being in tune with things, I tried something I don't normally do. I guess you could call it meditating a little or something..but I closed my eyes and just tried to clear my thoughts of everything else but these quakes. I asked myself "What am I missing, where do I need to look?" Not really expecting anything. Then, I saw a very clear map of the states but the only state labled (boldly) was Oklahoma. I then thought/heard "You need to watch Oklahoma".

So there you have it. That is it. Nothing fancy. I have simply repeated what I heard: "You need to watch Oklahoma"

I was a little surprised by it because it wasn't even the area I was wondering about...(ie, Virginia, NY, Co) But this image and instruction was SO strong that I have been compelled to listen to it and share it.

Now in addition to that...I need to go back to the Japan quake. Before that hit (right before) this intense feeling in my gut is what told me something bad was about to happen. I at first tried to turn away from these feelings because they were unpleasant. Since then however, I am learning to turn towards it....to explore it and try to listen to it. For me, it is spiritual in nature. Our connectivness through the holy spirit, so that feeling is the same one I get while in prayer. I don't know if that makes any sense to you...for some it will. I don't want to get too out there though, or focus on that becuase it will turn some people away and that is NOT what I want. But I DO want to give you an honest answer, so there it is.

That feeling in my gut has gotten stronger lately, and whenever I think about Oklahoma it intensifies. Just this overwhelming sense that something big is going to happen there. I equate that sensation with loss of life. The bigger the loss at one time, the greater the 'disturbance' and the more I (and others) pick up on it.

Okay...I have put it all out there. Hope it helps!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I just also want to point out that Oklahoma is no stranger to quakes.

They have provided lots of great info for this on the quakewatch thread.

I think it important to note that while it seems that I may be sensing something prior to it happening...it could all just be a coincidence too. There is absolutely no way to prove otherwise, so I again want to stress that I wasn't trying to make a prediction, just following my instincts. I guess it is with the hope that if there is anyone from that area reading here, it may prompt them to be more prepared, just in case. Awareness and preparedness are always good....and there is certainly no harm in it.

Also....on the chance that I AM picking up on something, documenting it may lead to future correlation. This can potentially lead to a better understanding of our environment and becoming more aware of our natural intuition...which I think is also a good thing.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Thank you for the great response.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Magnitude 5.6
Date-Time Sunday, November 06, 2011 at 03:53:10 UTC
Saturday, November 05, 2011 at 10:53:10 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 35.599°N, 96.752°W
Depth 5 km (3.1 miles)
Region OKLAHOMA
Distances 34 km (21 miles) NNE of Shawnee, Oklahoma
63 km (39 miles) SSE of Stillwater, Oklahoma
68 km (42 miles) ESE of Guthrie, Oklahoma
71 km (44 miles) ENE of OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 13.9 km (8.6 miles); depth +/- 3 km (1.9 miles)
Parameters NST=298, Nph=298, Dmin=208.2 km, Rmss=1.54 sec, Gp= 22°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=9
Source Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb0006klz

So it intensifies....as I expected it to, and that it will continue to. This is not the 'one'. It is building.

ugh....I might as well say it. Again, I am not wanting to predict anything.....but if there were to be a larger event, I think it might happen on 11 7. Those are the numbers I saw this afternoon and since I already put myself 'out there'....I may as well go all in.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I know very little about building structure and making them earthquake safe up to a certain magnitude, but I am guessing that OK buildings are built to resist low magnitudes. If they get hit with a 7 or above I fear there may be some devestation.

Are you thinking that in the 7 plus range is likely?

I have a friend down there who is a paramedic, I just spoke with her and the mood is pretty panicy out there. The Emergency Management people are starting to plan out scenarios of how to respond and help if these quakes get worse. I will be tuned into this thread pretty close for the next few days.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

LOL...you have a way of getting me to say it all. I have shared these things with a couple of other member here via U2Us over the past few days. Like I said, I tend to keep these things off the boards because it is out of character for me.....but.

I had a dream a few days ago that my quake alert on my phone woke me up. Scrolling across the top was Oklahoma and 7.4.

The reason I don't normally post these kinds of things on the boards is because the odds are VERY high I will just end up looking like an idiot. So here is to hoping I look like an idiot!

As to the buildings and your emergency response: One of the big concerns for the midwest is liquifaction. A large magnitude quake is more widely in the area due to the type of soil/sedimentation. I doubt most buildings in that region are built to whithstand a 7+ quake, very few areas are. However, I could be wrong.

I hope your emergency response training/org are better than most. I was a FF/EMT for over 8 yrs and involved in a lot of training for this type of MCI (mass casualty incident). Until you get up to the major hospital levels, the response plans and drills/training are just pathetic. I worked at a small local hospital and went to some classes on hazmat and disaster preparedness. You would think, being in the PNW that we would be some of the best prepared of them all....blah. miserable. The DEM (department of emergency management) has it together, but when you get down to the hospitals, etc. it is just plain SCARY.

SO. Bottom line. In a major disaster do NOT rely on 911 or your local ems/hospital. It would be quite possible that even if they were prepared, they couldn't get to you.

This is one of the reasons I am encouraing people to be prepared. You should ALWAYS have an emergency bag with the essential survival stuff plus enough water/protien for your family for at least 3-4 days. the general rule is that you plan to be on your own for at least 72 hrs. That is what the local authorities plan for, in regards to the time it would take for outside help (FEMA, National Guard, etc) to get in and start aid.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

In the future if you want to keep it off the boards feel free to U2U me as well.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Even though there was no major damage in Tulsa, and no injuries, there were issues with the Phone. I got through to my mom just as the shaking stopped, but the call was dropped and it was at least 20 minutes before the lines opened back up. At first it told me that the calls could not be completed, then it gave me the all circuits are busy message.

Just imagine how quickly communications would fall apart in a "real" emergency!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Impact of New Madrid Seismic Zone Earthquakes on the Central USA, Vol. 1 and 2

This will wake you up as to what is likely to happen. A very sobering read.

Roads, dams, power lines, gas lines, water lines, nuclear power plants. Not good, not good at all.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Strange, that magnitude you dreamt of is the same one I dreamt exactly one month ago. Only I didn't have a specific location in my dream I felt that it was Arkansas, I could see a map of sorts but I'm terrible with geography as it is and it's possible it may have been meant for another state. I made a post about it in the Arkansas swarm thread after I had it. Shocked to see a larger quake in OK tonight, I had figured last night's was the main quake and it would calm down. Feeling a little worried, I hope things stop shaking and this 7.4 number means nothing!

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I had a dream a few days ago that my quake alert on my phone woke me up. Scrolling across the top was Oklahoma and 7.4.

Please ..... message me anytime when you have an "odd" dream because as of late I am also having dreams and I tend to be more aware of them ...IF I remember them. It seems as though my "spirit" is in tune when I am asleep as my dreams usually are something to pay attention to when I indeed remember them because hardly ever will I remember. The other morning I awoke to a vivid dream I had just had. I dreamed I awoke, looked at USGS and there was nothing but red...after red....after red.... Big ones in concert. I chalked it up to nothing more than a dream but I have never the less been anxious about it.

Now that I KNOW you have been having dreams I am even more anxious. This is not your typical "feeling" and I appreciate you sharing something that some may find "strange" but..not me.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
So, you all really feel like it's not over and there is a greater intensity quake coming in OK?

I felt the 5.6 last night, it was light-moderate shaking for about a minute. Nothing fell off the walls up here about 2 hrs north of epicenter, but it was my first quake. We just don't expect quakes here...just killer wind and drought and the like.

When I lived on the east coast quakes were never an issue either, and look at what happened this year. No where to run.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

To add to what Westcoast has said, I can confirm a couple of things: firstly, a lot of discussion about quakes goes on between a few of us behind the scenes -- "us" being members here who spend a fair amount of our "free" time studying, researching and even speculating on the subject of seismic activity. We're all active in the Fragile Earth forum and by and large, we tend to post our observations or opinions on the basis of valid scientific data and principles. Even where we speculate we try to stay within the bounds of what is considered possible for the region/s under discussion.

Secondly, where Westcoast says she lives in one of the seismically most dangerous regions, she is not kidding and by no means exaggerating; she is simply stating what years of study by many experts show to be the plain facts: in her region in the PNW, megathrust quakes (like Japan had in March) have happened before and it's only a matter of when the next one will hit -- not if.

Here's a short news article from Nature [dot] com that gives a little insight into the possibilities: Risk of giant quake off American west coast goes up.

Of course, we don't just go on what a news report says. There are many technical and scientific reports to refer to and they often form the basis for what we talk about. However, the "intuitive" element still plays its part. Intuition, gut feeling, call it what we will -- it still has a certain validity if it's also related to knowledge of the subject. This is what Westcoast has done: applied her intuition to her knowledge base and seen something she considered valid and worth mentioning.

And now we can see that she was right to do so.

Regarding your question about structural damage, one of the major concerns is that in areas lacking a significant history of major quakes in very recent times (say the last century), buildings were not generally constructed to resist larger events. The biggest problem these days for a region like Oklahoma is the many older buildings that are URMs -- unreinforced masonry. In other words, they're made of bricks or brick/stone, held together with thin layers of mortar. In stronger quakes, the lateral shaking fractures the mortar, often before it significantly cracks the bricks. The foundations may also be adversely affected. The buildings can be so destabilized they just collapse like a house of cards.

This weakness in such structures is exacerbated if there is significant disturbance through ground subsidence or uplift, and/or liquefaction effects. Simply put, a badly weakened brick building on unstable or or even now-sloping ground is a recipe for disaster.

Modern larger structures, on the other hand, are generaly built with rebar in the vertical supports, floors and foundations. In many cases these reinforced concrete structures will survive quakes that flatten brick buildings. They could still suffer damage but except in very large events, most of it would be to secondary fittings like suspended ceilings, drywall partitions and the like, rather than major structural components. So, while the interiors could be damaged to some extent the primary structures would mostly survive. This vastly improves the odds for both their occupants and people in their immediate vicinity. (Falling debris is always a serious hazard.)

Here's a segment on the Cascadia Megathrust Quake, from a program produced for BBC's "Horizon" series. In this part, among other things, the problems of URMs are discussed:

While this video considers a megathrust event (which is technically considered impossible in Oklahoma) the points on the relative strengths of different structures are still relevant.

Mike

edit on 6/11/11 by JustMike because: of typos (but I might have missed a couple!)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Mike, you are so good with words and for some reason, I really find comfort with them.

In regards to the activity we see ongoing in OK do you think there is reason for concern in the New Madrid area now or do you think we may see the OK taper off....or.....a bigger one yet to come?

I'm sure there is no way of really knowing what, if anything, will happen next.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TMG333

Yes, I checked and found your post and it's exactly as you say.
Good to have that logged.

I've made a post on the "Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction" thread, compiling some details from your posts and also Westcoast's. You can find it here. While your posts are not technically predictions (as they're not declared as such) they are still of interest and I thought it worthwhile collating the info and putting it on the "Experiment" thread.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Hi Mama,

thanks for you comments.

I do have concerns for the AR region, mainly because of the ongoing quakes there in areas where some injection wells were shut down after serious official concerns that they caused quakes. Rather than repeat too much, I've gone into this in a bit more detail here on the "Experiment" thread.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It would seem to me that being prepared would be a common sense of logical thinking,.
But the "its not gonna happen here or to me" is an unfortunate misconception many take a view on.
My sister lives about 150 miles from the New Madrid zone in Tenn. Her biggest concern has been
tornadoes, And I have finally turned her awareness to the potential for earthquakes and the scenarios
that could follow. She now stocks food and water for a few weeks along with a few other essentials
in the event of. I like to use the recent events like Katrina and how society completely fell apart..
So one has to really look at that situation from a big picture and understand that if something of
an equally devastating nature were to occur in your home town,. what would you do?
the first thing that would happen is grocery stores would get raided. Cause quite simply, food and water
are necessities, so the question is,.. would you really want to be one of those people fighting for the last
case of water or the last few cans of soup? I sure wouldnt,. that scene could down right nasty.
And the thing about storing at least food and water is,. if nothing happens,. it is always usable,, anytime.

Now in a earthquake situation,. look at the potential hazards, yes as mentioned above, old stone and brick
building apartments dont stand much of a chance,. Personally,. I'd rather live in a two story at best, wooden
structure. I can understand everyone personal situation is unique,. But keeping some basics close is always
a very good Idea.
The survival forum on ATS can offer some great tips,. use it.
edit on 6-11-2011 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Hi, I get those feelings too. Usually it's about hurricanes and sometimes its months and months ahead of the storm.
I get this cold feeling in my gut and I feel sad even when there is nothing going on in my life to give me that feeling. It is very weird. I got it for two weeks before 9/11 and I kept checking the weather charts to see if there was anything brewing and there was nothing as far east as the indian ocean that might cross Africa and become a major storm in the atlantic. Before 9/11 I got the same feeling before Hurricane Andrew in Florida and I got it a full three months before hurricane Floyd hit us here in Virginia. With Floyd I just looked at the list of names for the storms for the coming season and my stomach hit the floor when I read the name.
I've been getting mild feelings lately and its past hurricane season for the most part.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join