It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What disaster scares you the most?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
A big disaster is coming but many will survive if they are diligent and reasonably prepared but which disaster would be the one you would have a problem with. I will list a few but feel free to add others you would find particularly difficult.

1. A massive flood- not a flash flood but one that builds over a few days. Probably the easiest to escape but the most enduring as it just lasts and lasts and is also the most destructive in overall terms. A flood means a long period of time away from the safety net of your home and your job more than likely so very testing though not the most dangerous.

2. Hurricane- can have as devastating effects if your area is chosen but destruction can be limited and prepared for if you have the means. Survivability is very good as there is plenty of warning time however if you stay the danger increases substantially. Time-span is usually very short as compared to a massive flood and the lingering effects usually are minor except for cases such as Katrina.

3. Rapid events- things such as earthquakes or tornados. Damage is usually light except for large events however if you or your house is in the direct path or spot complete destruction is most likely garaunteed. Survivablility is very dependent on where you are and how fast the event overtakes you adding in a huge factor of luck.

4. Epidemics- though fairly rare they are an unseen force that you never see coming. Could have minor effects or could be devastaing as the Plague was. There is little chance of retreating to a safe area and it's a matter of hoping it either misses you or that you are immune. Another high factor of luck however the effects of seeing loved ones around you pass while you live could have dramatic effects. Property damage is none.

Feel free to add any others that you would hate to face. I myself would hate to go through an epidemic simply because there is no defense and nothing you can do to face it.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Mass ignorance.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

Ahh yes I should have listed that first.

Good point

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
For me, the tornado seems most unpleasant... because there usually IS some short notice, but not enough to gather your crap and leave... just enough to scare you, and maybe you can get shelter.

I don't think it should be categorized with earthquakes, tho - I don't mind earthquakes here in CA, because there is no notice, and by the time you're shaken & scared (well, I rather enjoy them, as long as my stuff isn't broken), it's over.

I'll take an earthquake any day, over a tornado.

The rest of those seem to have some fair amount of warning, and intelligent people can make reasonable efforts to avoid the worst of them.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

trapped underground//cave-in

i work underground.........sometimes..

nuff said???

i know the REAL dangers

edit on 8/23/11 by darrman because: yeahh I gave you the flag

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
GBR (gamma ray burst) , Oh yeah Internet going down.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Running out milk before I've had a coffee in the morning.

Seriously though, finding out we were about to get hit by a meteorite/comet/whatever, and being powerless to stop it, and not knowing how to reassure my small one, would be about the worst.

We don't worry too much about tornadoes and EQ's in the UK.. but that might change..

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

The plague, small pox...Sarah Palin as president. Sorry, but your avatar Totally distracted me. Really? Like I'm not punished enough by life?

Okay, in all seriousness....the bubonic plague and watching your loved ones die....(please oh please change your avatar...pretty please?)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
A big disaster is coming but many will survive if they are diligent and reasonably prepared but which disaster would be the one you would have a problem with. I will list a few but feel free to add others you would find particularly difficult.

1. A massive flood- not a flash flood but one that builds over a few days. Probably the easiest to escape but the most enduring as it just lasts and lasts and is also the most destructive in overall terms. A flood means a long period of time away from the safety net of your home and your job more than likely so very testing though not the most dangerous.

Not to worried about located 2600ft above sea level. but if it did reach me I have little 14ft fishing boat lol.

2. Hurricane- can have as devastating effects if your area is chosen but destruction can be limited and prepared for if you have the means. Survivability is very good as there is plenty of warning time however if you stay the danger increases substantially. Time-span is usually very short as compared to a massive flood and the lingering effects usually are minor except for cases such as Katrina.

I don't live on the coast.

3. Rapid events- things such as earthquakes or tornados. Damage is usually light except for large events however if you or your house is in the direct path or spot complete destruction is most likely garaunteed. Survivablility is very dependent on where you are and how fast the event overtakes you adding in a huge factor of luck.

this is what scares me the unpredictable more than just earthquakes and tornados just not knowing what will happen.

4. Epidemics- though fairly rare they are an unseen force that you never see coming. Could have minor effects or could be devastaing as the Plague was. There is little chance of retreating to a safe area and it's a matter of hoping it either misses you or that you are immune. Another high factor of luck however the effects of seeing loved ones around you pass while you live could have dramatic effects. Property damage is none.

this would defently be the worst I would just stay in my area and hope it would not make it to me not much you can do

edit on 23-8-2011 by Doublemint because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I have always thought I would die of fright if I looked to the horizon and saw a wall of water getting bigger and bigger, and closer and closer.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a HUGE Nuclear disaster/war.. they would be impossible to escape. Unless you ofc are 500ft underground with unlimmited ammounts of supplies.

Sorry for my spelling, been up for allmost 40 hours, drunk and english is not my first language.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Spongebob being cancelled.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
NWO without a doubt.

Annunaki not so much make me feel not so alone.

Elenin causing pole shifts would be a quick death or would rewrite the PROGRAM completly.

Markets crashing are a restart button and possible the gravity we need.

But, NWO is some scary #. I rather an alien race imprison me, that way we I die for fighting back at least I know for whatever time that I was right about intelligent life and the human race.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Well,I grew up in tornado country and I never feared them,just paid attention to what was going on,it is not like they just "happen".

Live in earthquake country and they do not bother me because where I live is not near a major fault.We'll just get a good shaking.

Don't have a flooding problem or a fire storm situation where I live.

What I fear and always have is volcano eruption.

Lived for a while at the foot of Etna and always kept and eye on it.

Lived near an active volcano in Alaska and I kept an eye on it.

Was there when Pinatubo erupted and lord it was a mess the amount of destruction wet ash can make.

I did a tour of Pompeii when I was young and just to realize that a volcano can obliterate in a very short time all evidence of human existence makes one realize the power the earth has to mess mankind up.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

1) meteorite strike,

2) tsunami (mega)...

3) pyroclastic flow..."nuees ardente"...

all pretty scary...

and U could get all 3 with answer one...

seeya

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Zombies I hate zombies (not that they are scary but they are persistent and annoying)
and outbreak of an air born.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

So the doom and gloom is what keeps your attention?

We are all here for answers, not more questions. You can tell me to "stick a tampon in it" as much as you want. I'm sure the female audience loves that kind of answer.

Someone starred you for that comment, pathetic.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

You said bye 30 minutes ago.
Why are you still in this thread?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join