It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Crow River UFO/USO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Here's an interesting UFO/USO case that I stumbled across whilst researching a somewhat related topic. It comes from a 1948 edition of the paranormal magazine Fate entitled: “Are Space Visitors Here?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/afa0b8a2b2b4.jpg[/atsimg]

Like a second edition of the famed "flying saucers," strange meteor-like objects have been reportedly seen flying through the sky in all parts of Nova Scotia for the last week.

Early yesterday morning one turned up again streaking over Halifax in plain view of two policemen--Sergeant Gerald Bishop and Constable J. Gerrard.

Descriptions furnished by those who claim to have watched the brief appearances of the "whatizit’s" have ranged from "a blue ball of flame" to "a bright green object," like a football trailed by a bright red tail.

Ones initial reaction is "meteor!" After all, the descriptions reported do seem to match:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/17e3b4533d64.jpg[/atsimg]

This was certainly one of the explainations raised at the time, along with comet debris and flares from a distress signal. However, those explanations seem to disintegrate when presented with what happened next...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2d4b80e63d58.jpg[/atsimg]

This strange photograph, snapped on the Crow River in Ontario, is a mystery to photographers. It is all that was recorded by the camera of a large purple globe, one of a series seen submerging in the Crow River. Was it a spaceship?

The background to this story is as follows:

The photograph in question, was forwarded by J. D. MacNeill, 101 Latimer Avenue, Toronto 12, Ontario. It was taken, Mr. MacNeill reports, by his uncle, while fishing on the Crow River in Northern Ontario. Mr. MacNeill quotes his uncle as follows:

"Last Saturday, August 16, 1947, when I had finished my chores, here at the camp, I decided to go into Timmins with my friend, Roy Simpson, to see a movie. Timmins is about 15 miles from our present location, so we decided to go by car, instead of waiting for the company bus. We left at 8:30 and after driving for about ten minutes the car stalled, leaving us stranded in the middle of a deserted and open stretch of country. We tinkered with the motor for a half-hour but couldn't get it to start again. So we started to walk back to camp.

"It was then that we both witnessed an unusual sight in the growing darkness that I still find hard to believe and vaguely know how to describe. It seemed like a huge globe of purplish light that tore across the eastern sky and disappeared into the surrounding hills. It was followed by yet another that was much closer and travelling at a slower speed. I could hardly make out the details, but it looked like a round object that had a number of large portholes on its sides.

''That was all we saw but it was enough for us. We got back to camp and arranged for a truck to tow the stalled car back to camp. Roy and I never mentioned what we saw to anyone in case we might be called crazy.

"The next day was a Sunday [17th] and no work was to be done. So, around three o'clock that afternoon I went down to Crow River to do some fishing and brought my camera with me. It was then that I saw those self-same objects circling about the lake, but travelling at a much lower speed. I don't know how to express my feelings when I saw them again; it struck me, somehow, as being weird and uncanny, like something from another world. At any rate, they circled closer to the lake, emitting a high-pitched whining noise. My senses came back to me and I pulled out my camera and tried to take shots.

"I took numerous snaps but later these failed to turn out. Finally the objects eased their speed and at intervals of about two minutes between them, they hit the lake and sank about 100 yards from where I was standing. The first snap I took failed to focus properly, but the second one turned out excellently as the object hit the water.

"I waited for more than an hour hoping to see them again, but they failed to make an appearance. Since then I have not seen them once, nor have I heard comments about them from the boys here at the camp. These enclosed photos are the only evidence I have of their existence. What they were, I have no idea, nor can I even guess what was their reason for appearing for such a short time.”

Source

So we have flying objects, reportedly "at least 24 feet in diameter to as much as 60 feet" that have portholes and seem to be under some sort of intelligent guidance? I don't know about you but I'm ruling out the meteor/distress flare theories!

I also thought it was interesting how their car stalled, a phenomena that is often reported by people who experience close encounters.

Anyways, I had never heard of this case and thought it deserved its own thread.

Discuss!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Very interesting story, probably a genuine picture with a perfect circle outline on the water. Genuine UFO report here me thinks, nice find.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Reminds me of the UFO in a medieval painting

edit on 21/8/2011 by Fazza! because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

hmmmmm not sure about that, the art doesnt look quite right to me... Very interesting though do you have any links about the manuscript its from?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Yeah, it seems convincing.

I find that photographic evidence from that long ago always carries a certain amount of validity that, in this photo-shop age, doesn't seem to mean much anymore.

Of course, images could still be tampered with even back then, that must be remembered.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

It's from 'Annales Laurissense', a 12th century manuscript referring to a UFO sighting in 776 AD during a Saxon seige on Sigiburg Castle, France. There's a description below this bigger version

More info here.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

thanks
I'll have a proper look at that tomorrow when Im not so tired

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
great find. what i dont get, why would the waterarea around that bright sphere in the lake be darker than its sourroundings. shouldnt it be brighter since the sphere is emitting light?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

Personally I don't think they are that similar.

The 'Annales Laurissenses' describe the UFO's as: "resembling two large flaming shields of reddish color." Also, I think the picture you provided is a modern forgery, although the event itself was most definitely recorded in history as an actual event.

I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere dedicated to it.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

I meant the shape of the UFO on the right being similar to the OP, a sphere with portholes in it. Just reminded me of that painting

edit on 21/8/2011 by Fazza! because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

Yeah, I suppose there is a similarity there.

There's no reason to disbelieve that these UFO's, whatever they are, have been around for centuries. I mean, what's 500 years when you're travelling interstellar space?

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

The image is a modern-day creation. Neither of the manuscripts were written on fabric. The fabric behind the horseback figure shows a clear weave and the image that's been overlaid doesn't. It looks crap.

If you can find any source for this image in its claimed original context, I'll eat my hat and ask one of the Three Amigos to send you applause whilst post-banning me for a period of your choosing.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

FFS please change your avatar it is muchly annoying

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Wow that's confident
did some searches but couldn't find definitive proof either way. Came across one blogger who had this to say...

The Annales Laurissenses indeed contain an entry for the year 776 which reads as such:

"...and the same day, while they (the Saxons) were preparing for another assault against the Christians who were living in the castle, the glory of God manifested itself above the church inside the fortress. Those who were watching in the square outside - many of which still live today - said that they saw something resembling two large flaming shields of reddish color moving above the church itself."

Unfortunately, even if the Lorsch Codex does contain some miniatures for initials, it does not contain our beautiful world-wide-web illustrations. These must have come from elsewhere.

Source. He also includes a link to possible copies of the Codex Laureshamensis, from which the Annales Laurissenses are supposed to have come. I'll have a look through them and see what turns up

Another website here regarding the paintings being fake, with many comments from readers suggesting they could be paintings of Halley's comet.
edit on 22/8/2011 by Fazza! because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Fazza!

Yeah I checked my facts before the challenge! The image is wrong in too many ways and probably has no provenance before the rise of Photoshop. I think it's a composite of an image of fabric with the knight overlaid on top. The design of the knight reminds me more of the 20th Century style in illustrated history books. To me, the background is in folds, like curtains; the knight is flat.

So far, I can't think of any old paintings claimed as 'aliens' or craft that appeal to me.

new topics

top topics

join