It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Name Of God?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

It's simple , the one that is the supreme has no name, since names are given at baptism. The creator of the worlds, god has no name, for no one has baptised god, since it does not need it. Only small creatures such as our selfs but also others need it.

No baptism = no name. A name by definition is given by the process of baptism.

edit on 17-8-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If you're talking about the biblical god, many people claim to have a personal relationship with it. You'd think they'd know his name. Let's see if some of them pop in here and tell us what it is.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Nay man shall never shall never have the right to ask the name of thy supreme being

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Agdistis or Angdistis, Ah Puch, Ahura Mazda, Alberich, Allah, Amaterasu, An, Anansi, Anat, Andvari, Anshar, Anu, Aphrodite, Apollo, Apsu, Ares, Artemis, Asclepius, Athena, Athirat, Athtart, Atlas

Just a FEW of the "A" s. Just know as sure as you are that your belief system and god/name for god is the right one, billions of humans throughout history have worshiped, sacrificed and given their lives for completely different deities that they were just as sure if not more sure was the TRUE god.

The true name of god is human fear of the unknown for desire to understand without concept of science.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
There is no name. There is no need for a name. To give it a name would kind of defeat the purpose of it being a God in the first place.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The bible says god's name is YHWH which in hebrew is Yodh Hay Vav Hay

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I Am in hebrew is Aia

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Bob. Bob the B@st@rd. ;-)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

That is my experience as well.

God is Love. They are one in the same.

1 John 4:8

King James Version (KJV)

8He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Where else in the bible is God described so explicitly?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by rwfresh

Hey rwfresh -

As I understand it from reading the bible, "god's" name as identified as such is Yahweh, or YHVH for the hebrew letters yod heh vav heh as someone else mentioned. The rest are titles ('god' = "mighty one", etc.).

YHVH appears in the old testament whever pretty much all translations say "the LORD" capitalized like that.

Eliyah.com has an article here with a more in-depth study linked, discussing his views on why the name is pronounced Yahweh.

Take care.
Heres a youtube with that name in song related to American Indian chants that use that name as well .

If someone could kindly embed this video here in this thread it would be great as it has the name written on it and goes through all those names

www.youtube.com...
edit on 17-8-2011 by Anusuia because: Request to embed

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
A just prefer the simple name of Father. I think that is also what Jesus referred to him as many times.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
specifically referring to the biblical representation, god's name has more to do with what he does. the god who provides, the god who loves, all in biblical hebrew. most people view the word "yawveh" to be the most natural word to call god. there are 4 consonants in the hebrew that spell this word for god. the issue is what are the vowels. the vowel pointings in most versions of the hebrew bible can literally be translated as "yahveh". however, some english translations have also used vowel pointings to be read as "yahowah" or "jehovah". of course the true scholar understands that when the early jews (those that lived during the time of moses) read from the torah/law, whenever they saw the word for god (yawveh), they just skipped it. the name of god cannot be spoken on pain of death. the deconstruction of the name of god is a very interesting exercise from a lingual perspective. even when moses asks god (at the burning bush) what god's name is, god replies that he is "yawveh", literally meaning "i am", but depending on the vowel pointings, it could be read as "i am who i am", or "i am who I will be". this is because the earliest hebrew text was written without vowel pointings. try reading manuscript without vowels. this is why the sculpture of moses by michaelangelo has moses with horns on his head. this is from an error in translation with the wrong vowels. moses has a veil in front of his face (correctly translated), but it was mistakenly translated as "horns" and not "veil". all due to mistaken vowels.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Anusuia

Thanks Anusuia.

Here's the video:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Sound is the origin of creation that first sound was OM as heard by the Lord Brahma who sat atop the cosmic Lotus at his birth and looked around and all he could see was darkness .
Then he heard a sound that sound being OM , so he serached for the source of that sound and climbed down the lotus stem
" On that water He creates his own residence as an expansion of Vaikuntha and rests in the waters on the bed of the great serpent, Lord Ananta, Seshanaga.36 Although He appears to be in slumber, enjoying transcendental bliss in his internal potency, His eyes are slightly open. When He is ready to begin the act of creation, a golden lotus springs from his navel that becomes the birthplace of Lord Brahma. Within the stem of that lotus are the fourteen planetary systems.37 Then Lord Brahma is manifested as described in the previous chapter. " www.stephen-knapp.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Lawgiver

Interesting, lawgiver - thanks.

I did want to address this:

of course the true scholar understands that when the early jews (those that lived during the time of moses) read from the torah/law, whenever they saw the word for god (yawveh), they just skipped it. the name of god cannot be spoken on pain of death.

Ugh. That ridiculous hedge the jews set around torah. It's pretty obvious he wanted us to use the name instead of replacing or falsifying it since a good many scriptures say as much quite plainly and the authors in the bible used the name Yahweh over 6000 times in the tanakh.

Bad traditions...thanks again, take care.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

thankyou for that emmbedding . Do you like the chant ? I love native indian chants although I personall chant the Indian sanskit mantras . But Native Indian really touches me deeply .

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure the name of Vishnu is Vishnu.

What other god could this thread be referring to?

Oh, wait a minute, there are thousands of the buggers ......

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh
Hi All,

I've posted a few topics and responses in the religious forums here and thought it would be a good idea to get some feedback in terms of what people believed the "name of God" to be.

Is it a phonetic word? Is it a description of something spiritual? Is it literal (ie: "Todd" or "God").

What do you all think the name of God is.. This term is used throughout the bible.

We have such a narrow view of those things we don't understand... and to be sure, we're not as smart as we think we are. Humanity is not the be-all and end-all of creation or... evolution, so as not to offend anyone.

So, let me ask you a question. Why does God have to have a name? Is not 'God' good enough? If it doesn't serve the purpose of definition or identification against the pantheon of gods since time immortal, then whose fault is that? God's?

In the Bible, we are offered a few names and it may well be that the Almighty has a personal moniker. But this varies from page to page, book to book, faith to faith. It is only those who selfishly claim God as their own, that these names become important. It is only those who seek to reduce God to a being of a singular people or religion, that become angry when it is not spelled correctly or if by chance, His likeness is even displayed.

So, we come here to ask the name of the greatest scientist of the universe, who can manipulate matter and energy in ways we can't even begin to comprehend and... because of our own shortfallings and insignificance, we must then reduce God by pinning the name tag.

Just my opinion but... God suits well enough, I think.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
I'm pretty sure the name of Vishnu is Vishnu.

What other god could this thread be referring to?

Oh, wait a minute, there are thousands of the buggers ......

This is what you are looking for if you say there are 1000s of the Name of God
can i get this one embedded too please please , sorry Im so usless at internet .

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

appreciate the feedback. the tanakh (torah/naviim/ketuvim) does use the word itself many times over. just as many translations now simply use the word "lord" for translation. i'm not convinced that the intention was for it (yvwh) to be spoken. as another scholar has explained, the hebrew spoken tradition is quite strong, and its just as likely that another word was substituted everytime the word was to be spoken out loud. the language is quite fascinating. i am not of jewish descent, but just a student of the study of god. and in the end, aren't we all just trying to learn our own relationship with god? funny how this post generated this off tangent.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join