It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tobacco: Graphic federal warnings aren't fair

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
*star for you again unto dust* fantastic idea to list the ingredients.

I just wanted to make comment on the non-smokers that have to watch these commercials and look at these cig packs. The kids.

I am a smoker and I have a daughter. Fortunately I roll my own, so there will be no freaky cig packs in my house, but for other children it is wholly unfair.
The graphic images (and creepy music in the commercials) must raise a stress response in children and if any of their family are smokers obvious anxiety. It just doesn't seem fair, especially with the long arm of the pharmaceutical establishment, always reaching, reaching to snatch up our kids.
They are gonna be so anxious and afraid of everything.

Also, on a quit smoking websit,e I was reading about quitting in general; how to go about doing it, what to expect etc.. etc.. (I believe the name was justin quits????in case anyone wants to verify) The website stated as fact, that when a person attempts to quit smoking and fails, that when they pick up the habit, they will smoke more than before they tried to quit. So how is this helping ANYONE? Create a guilt or stress response in a smoker, they will attempt to quit for the wrong reasons, fail, then go back to smoking more heavily.

Just seems silly to me.

Also, the point about chugging down fast food and obesity warnings on the packaging are just as fair as this smoking bussiness. Yes people need to eat, but some just eat for pleasure. Have you gotten a medium soda from a fast food place lately? They are a litre or more. Thats just madness. No wonder everyone is growing outwards, thats almost the equivalent calories of a meal in a cup for heavens sake.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I know blind people who smoke,
now what good does this do for
them of warning them of
the dangers...

THEY CAN'T EVEN SEE THE PACKAGE!!

Stupid is as stupid does!!!.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
them of warning them of
the dangers...

Blind people cannot see "Wanted" or "Missing" posters either. Should we just do away with them because they do not effect blind people?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

them of warning them of
the dangers...

Blind people cannot see "Wanted" or "Missing" posters either. Should we just do away with them because they do not effect blind people?

I don't know but this seems as a ploy
to kill off all the blind smokers who might
not be privy enough to see these graphic images!!

You ever see those singing birthday, christmas, ect.. cards
they need to put that into the smoking pack everytime you open it!

Some old guy coughing *cough cough smooooookiiiings baaaad*
edit on 17-8-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mutantgenius
*star for you again unto dust* fantastic idea to list the ingredients.

I just wanted to make comment on the non-smokers that have to watch these commercials and look at these cig packs. The kids.

I am a smoker and I have a daughter. Fortunately I roll my own, so there will be no freaky cig packs in my house, but for other children it is wholly unfair.
The graphic images (and creepy music in the commercials) must raise a stress response in children and if any of their family are smokers obvious anxiety. It just doesn't seem fair, especially with the long arm of the pharmaceutical establishment, always reaching, reaching to snatch up our kids.
They are gonna be so anxious and afraid of everything.

You would be amazed at the stress placed on children and families as a whole when a parent dies very very very slowly from smoking related illness.

Now which one harms children more? A package a caring parent would not leave out in front of their children or a dead parent?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

I personally agree with Tobacco. No lawful product should have to have these warning labels, which are highly expensive (my father in law is a printer) and detrimental to sales.

My solution? Make all drugs illegal, or make drugs legal.

I too agree with the tobacco industry. I have no issues with the government putting out public health information - as long as it is GOOD information - but legal products should not have requirements.

But the fact is that TOBACCO does not cause cancer. In over 50 years of testing with pure, organically grown tobacco, not one study has returned a link between cancer and tobacco. Not ONE.

So... Why are Their panties in a bunch over tobacco? It started with the explosion of the Trinity device in the upper atmosphere in 1945. A few years later and people around the globe began to have lung and skin cancers from contact with the hot particles strewn planet-wide from that event.

Of course, They didn't want Us to put an end to nuclear testing. So They asked... "What do People put in Their lungs besides (the radioactive particle-filled) air? Why, tobacco, of course. And the sun? It never "caused cancer" until these particles were released. But that is what They blamed all the cancer on.

Since then, They have done all They can to make it SEEM as if tobacco is the culprit - fiberglass (a known carcinogen) filters (did You know that in a very high percentage of lung cancer victims They find fiberglass pieces at the core of the tumors?), radioactive "fertilizer" (that's required!), and chemicals They soak the tobacco in.

What keeps this going now is that tobacco interferes with the fluoride effects - tobacco counters these - and They want Us dumb and compliant (which fluoride does a very good job of providing), and the invasive control it allows Them.

There was an interesting set of experiments done on rodents - in one, the rodents were forced to "smoke" (breathe smoke) 24/7, and in the other, the rodents were subjected to radioactive particles. "Accidentally" some of the smoking rodents were put into the radioactive experiment. Interestingly... The non-smoking rodents ALL developed cancer. Of the "smoking" rodents equally subjected to the radioactive particles, 16% DID NOT develop cancer. So smoking also protects (to some extent) FROM cancer from radioactivity.

So... Motive must be questioned.

News flash - Tobacco Kills.

News flash: Tobacco itself does NOT kill. The things They do to it do.

A bottle of poison has a warning label, which is fine, because people don't drink it every day. They don't buy it exclusively to drink it.

And... Poisons are not familiar products. Labels are needed for the majority that otherwise would have no clue. Tobacco is a VERY familiar product, and the lies about it are well known, too.

When a product that kills is on the shelves and people are ingesting it one, twenty or even more times a day, I think that these labels are tame.

Labeling such a common product (with lies) is useless and a waste of money.

Disclaimer : Yes I smoked since I was a child. Yes I quit.

Did You know that in tests They found that rodents removed from "smoking" developed cancer significantly MORE than those left smoking? In fact... It would seem that quitting is probably bad advice...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Originally posted by Amaterasu
Did You know that in tests They found that rodents removed from "smoking" developed cancer significantly MORE than those left smoking? In fact... It would seem that quitting is probably bad advice...

Is that what they call 'Successfully shifting you from one industry to another'?

Either way, you still have that leash attached.
edit on 17-8-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

But the fact is that TOBACCO does not cause cancer. In over 50 years of testing with pure, organically grown tobacco, not one study has returned a link between cancer and tobacco. Not ONE.

How many brands of cigarettes use said pure tobacco?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

them of warning them of
the dangers...

I don't know but this seems as a ploy
to kill off all the blind smokers who might
not be privy enough to see these graphic images!!

You ever see those singing birthday, christmas, ect.. cards
they need to put that into the smoking pack everytime you open it!

Some old guy coughing *cough cough smooooookiiiings baaaad*
edit on 17-8-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

I am just saying that just because this does nothing for blind people is no reason to dismiss it. That is like saying there is no point in having music because deaf people cannot listen to it.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

them of warning them of
the dangers...

Maybe they should force the tobacco companys to write warnings on the packets in braille.

edit on 17-8-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Children.
The average age to start smoking is 13 and 90% of all smokers start before they turn 18.

Don't be ridiculous. Children know just as well as adults do about the dangers of smoking. It's taught in schools in this country.

Also in the UK it is illegal for anyone under 18 to buy tobacco (not saying it doesn't happen, just that shops should enforce the law).

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by maskfan

Children.
The average age to start smoking is 13 and 90% of all smokers start before they turn 18.

Don't be ridiculous. Children know just as well as adults do about the dangers of smoking. It's taught in schools in this country.

Also in the UK it is illegal for anyone under 18 to buy tobacco (not saying it doesn't happen, just that shops should enforce the law).

If children get told from just one source that something is bad they might not take any notice. If they are constantly told / reminded at every opertunity they might start to get the message. It can not hurt to keep reminding them but it can hurt if they dont get the message.

Tobacco is only a legal product because the tobacco companys got ultra rich before rules on selling dangerous products came out. There is no way it would get approved if it was a new product comming out on the markets today.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by hillynilly

them of warning them of
the dangers...

Maybe they should force the tobacco companys to write warnings on the packets in braille.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It's just more crap. The tobacco companies can afford it, because it will be passed on to the consumer. Just like everything else.
I'm not against the labels, I'm not for them. I've tried to stop smoking for many years now. Still haven't.

It is being mandated by my employer that I quit. They are gonna hand out patches and gum. Yay....

The heads get an insurance kickback for making the slaves healthier. None of that trickles down. In fact my insurance is going up.

Everything is a scam. Everything we have ever payed for is just a scam. Scamming is the American way.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Hey guys the pictures are not saying "Stop smoking or we will arrest you and take away your rights and make your life choices for you!!"

They simply make everyone graphicallyh aware of the true nature of what they are consuming. Also, the joking about putting this kind of stuff on fatty foods and cars, I also completely agree 100% on making it happen. Im not even kidding when I say that I believe Soda's, Big Macs, greasy pizzas and all that have the same types of warning in relation to obesity, heart disease, and other dietary related illnesses.

I think if parents and kids went to McDonalds or Wal-Mart and saw FATTY FATTY FAT FAT!!! people sitting on hospital beds printed on the nasty food they buy, our obesity epidemic would begin to dwindle quite hastily. Fatty fatty fat fat people are making my health care costs skyrocket because of their poor lifestyle dietary habbits. People in the jungle would probably roll over laughing if they could witness just how voluntarily unhelathy our civilizations are.

None of this print media would ever actually infringe on your rights because you still have the freedom and choice to purchase said products wherever you shop. Only now you cant plead ignorance to the consequences and get offended when someone calls you a MORBIDLY OBESE BOVINE COW!!

It is only genetics because so many generations of fatty are continuing to pass their fat unnatural unhealthy lifestyle to their children, which I personally connsider neglect, but I would never force penalties for those choices.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
For starters #$*% the Tabacco companies.
I dont have a problem with the fact that they will have to advertise these graphic warnings, it may or may not deter anyone, but at least they will be forced to show in pictures of what their products can and will do.

These ads have been in Australia for years, and as Gortex stated, " you soon become desensitized to them"
As im looking at a photo on my packet of a lung riddled with lung cancer. It doesnt shock me. Nore has it made me want to quit smoking.
Our packets also have the phone number of the national Quit line, and Its 131848 for those of you that want to Quit smoking.

I just want the same style of ads on alcohol packaging.
You could have a picture of a man or woman waking up in an ugly persons bed after a drunken night out ( and dont ask
)
You could have a picture of a person discovering that their drunken sexual escapades are now on the internet

Or you could have a picture of a person waking up in ones own vomit

Any way, i would love to write more but instead im going to roll a cigerette and enjoy its addictive touch and taste

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Pictures of not very nice 'smoking related' body parts etc have been on cigs here in the UK for some years now. You dont see images of drunk louts or the results of DUI plastered all over beer cans or spirit bottles do you?

Discrimination is all this is, they earn so much money here in the UK on taxes that I would have thought images of beautiful women would have been more appropriate to be honest.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I think they are trying to kill people.

There's this thing called the nocebo effect - it works sorta like voodoo.
It might be a form of voodoo.

So I don't like these graphic pictures - on anything. It's bad juju. It could cause people to get sick.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

Is that what they call 'Successfully shifting you from one industry to another'?

Huh? Which industry and which? Please elaborate.

Either way, you still have that leash attached.

And what's that to You? Really. Why do YOU care? If You have provided what You feel is valid information and I continue to smoke, why not shrug and let the issue go?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I think the warnings are excellent, we've had them in the UK for while.
Clearly just telling people they'll die doesn't work so putting graphic images is a good move I think.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join