It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Senator seeks to cut aid to elite IDF units operating in West Bank and Gaza

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

U.S. Senator seeks to cut aid to elite IDF units operating in West Bank and Gaza

www.haaretz.co m

U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy is promoting a bill to suspend U.S. assistance to three elite Israel Defense Forces units, alleging they are involved in human rights violations in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Leahy, a Democrat and senior member of the U.S. Senate, wants assistance withheld from the Israel Navy's Shayetet 13 unit, the undercover Duvdevan unit and the Israel Air Force's Shaldag unit
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.timesofoman.com
news.antiwar.com

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Very interesting.

Here is Lehay's senate page, leahy.senate.gov...

Here is the Wikipedia page of Shayete 13. They were the unit involved in the raiding and killing of members of the flotilla last summer.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Sayeret unit.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Duvdevan Unit

en.wikipedia.org...

These pages seem to have been created by either the unit themselves or supporters of their opearations. If anyone has any more information, please do provide it.

I commend Patrick on his moral stand, and the pressure that citizens from Vermont have placed on him in regards to the conflict.

What do you think, any chance of this getting though congress?

www.haaretz.com...
edit on 16-8-2011 by Peruvianmonk because: Further information

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

He will be labeled an anti Semite and will have a change of heart.

It's nice to hear about these things, but the aid to Israel stays. I believe all this publicity about this lately is nothing more than theatrics.

U.S. report recommends ending loan guarantees to Israel at end of 2011

I hope this guy doesn't have an accident or overdose or get found with prostitutes.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
It is good to see the pressure in building to reign in these rogue elements. Too much sudden change can be a bad thing, but cultural trends do need towards a more socially responsible direction to advert wide spread civil unrest.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
In relation to one of the units indited by the Senator from Vermont, Sayeret Matkal, this happened back in 2003.

Thirteen reservist soldiers and officers in the elite Sayeret Matkal unit of the Israel Defense Forces on Sunday evening signed a letter declaring their refusal to serve in the territories.

We say to you today, we will no longer give our hands to the oppressive reign in the territories and the denial of human rights to millions of Palestinians," reads the letter addressed to the prime minister, " and we will no longer serve as a defensive shield for the settlement enterprise."

www.fromoccupiedpalestine.org...

Goes to show not all 'guards' of the regime were/are willing to go along with the ilegality of Israeli actions towards the Palestinians.

I would suspect this kind of protest happening today would be very unlikely.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

I agree. There is no denying this build up in pressure on Israel, even with the clear cynicisim operated by the U.S. & Israel.

The people from Vermont seem to be one of the main forces for a just peace in the U.S.

www.vtjp.org...

The Senator was wise to take heed of his constituents calls.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Finally people are waking up to the fact that Israel is not as peaceful as the media portrays them.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

He will be labeled an anti Semite and will have a change of heart.

It's nice to hear about these things, but the aid to Israel stays. I believe all this publicity about this lately is nothing more than theatrics.

U.S. report recommends ending loan guarantees to Israel at end of 2011

I hope this guy doesn't have an accident or overdose or get found with prostitutes.

The latter for sure - accident or Monika. He is a dead man talking, he just doesn't know it yet.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I think the big question is with all of the economic woes the US has, why are we supporting commando units of another nation?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear
I think the big question is with all of the economic woes the US has, why are we supporting commando units of another nation?

Hmmm... extremely complicated question... for the rocket scientist really... but I will try anyway:

Might US support has something to do with pro Israeli lobby in Washington D.C.???

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
However this pans out. This has been a big step froward towards the fact and recognition of the crimes and human rights violations that Israel have been committing against he people of Palestine.

The more people that know what goes on, the better.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
To be totally balanced on this approach, now is the time to reel in any and all foreign aid. Period. We continue to write blank checks to nations that would prefer to see the US and the western culture as a whole wiped from the earth. We give money to rebel groups in LIbya that are comprised of terrorists and as yet unidentified people.

End it all our country is in a mess and the meddling in other nation's affairs is not helping us in any way. We are just funding the chaos.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RTGREAT

Originally posted by the owlbear

Hmmm... extremely complicated question... for the rocket scientist really... but I will try anyway:

Might US support has something to do with pro Israeli lobby in Washington D.C.???

Good answer...the question was rhetorical.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
OK folks.

Now taking bets on how long before this guy flip-flops on his request and succumbs to AIPAC-led pressure.

Polls Open NOW

(I say 4 days)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

Oi! Don't turn this in to some kind of betting ring!

Oh go on then, £100 (around $160) on 5 days.

In all seriousness though, maybe it will get some support. You know that Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul will most likely back it.

Anyone else?
edit on 16-8-2011 by Peruvianmonk because: Formatting

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

not to be cynical - but the senator is simply posturing

you cannot reallistically " cut aid " to 3 special operations units with < 1000 personell amid the general aid budget to isreal

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

It may well be posturing.

However it brings some unwanted attention on these units in particular and Israeli actions against the Palestinians at a time when cruel Arab tyrants have taken attention off Israel through the murder of their own citizens.

An interesting development....

A spokesman for Sen. Patrick Leahy, David Carle, emails to take issue with an article in Ha'aretz suggesting that Leahy was moving to cut off funds for Israeli troops implicated in human rights abuses in Gaza: Senator Leahy does not discuss private conversations he has had for decades with Israeli leaders. However, the Haaretz article contains significant inaccuracies. He has not proposed legislation to withhold U.S. aid to units of the Israel Defense Forces.

By way of general background about the Leahy Amendment, the law applies to U.S. aid to foreign security forces around the globe and is intended to be applied consistently across the spectrum of U.S. military aid abroad. Under the law the State Department is responsible for evaluations and enforcement decisions and over the years Senator Leahy has pressed for faithful and consistent application of the law. That is: The law isn't aimed at Israel, but Leahy won't shrink from having it enforced against Israeli troops.

www.politico.com...

Backing off or clarification?

It seems to be a simple clarification to me, that this applies to all forces provided with foreign aid by the U.S.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Here is a video report on the story.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
OK folks.

Now taking bets on how long before this guy flip-flops on his request and succumbs to AIPAC-led pressure.

Polls Open NOW

(I say 4 days)

They have already "solved the problem" !!!!

it was just another "attention getting" stunt ... act 3, scene 7 ...

Seventeen killed in Israel attacks

Israeli officials said the assailants had crossed into Israel from Egypt’s Sinai peninsula, but insisted there was “clear intelligence information” that they originally hailed from the Gaza Strip. [color=limegreen]“The source of the terror acts is Gaza, and we will act against them with full force and determination,” said Ehud Barak, the defence minister. There was no claim of responsibility from any group in Gaza or Egypt.
They ALWAYS say that !!

Armed men cross Egyptian border, kill 8 Israelis

funny how they make the U.S. and other "allies" feel guilty so quickly !!

the drama and audacity is compelling !!!!

keep your wallets open folks !!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
It could have a little to do with this issue too:

Editorial suggests new roadmap drafted by US can “induce Palestinians to drop their statehood bid

(Aug 8, 2011)

The New York Times published an editorial on Sunday criticizing the expected vote on Palestinian statehood at the United Nations in September, saying its “consequences could be profoundly damaging for all involved.”......

It argued only direct talks between Israel and the Palestinians could effectively revive the peace process. The best way of achieving such an outcome, it said, was for Washington to present a new outline for talks between the two with the backing of the international community.
But of course, that's only if they're not busy blowing each other's heads off !! $$
$$

<<   2 >>

join