It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would it truly be in the interest of the world Governments to cover up alien contact?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I have no doubt there is inteligent alien life. Some more advanced than us and some less advanced. I think it's very unlikely we've been visited and less likely the Governments would know if we had been. What I have noticed is that so many people assume or like to believe that the world Governments would cover it up. I ask the question WHY WOULD THEY?

In an age of globalisation and civil unrest I argue that it would be a dream come true for the world Governments if aliens were proven to be out there. The population of every country would look to it's Government for security. The concept of national identity would be greatly reduced because suddenly the neighbouring country who talks diffrent and looks different and acts different has more in common with you than at any other time in human history. We would as a population be easier to control like the naughty child runs back inside to mum when the thunder claps.

Wouldn't it be in the interest of world Governments to inform us of proof of alien contact?
edit on 14-8-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Governments use alien technology to make war machines (aircraft,etc.)

(www.ctv.ca...)

Closure would be like giving your enemies a blueprint to your war machines.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well yeah. Think about it. One of the major super powers gaining.exclusive right to.offworld tech. Also just look at history. Nothing good comes when an advanced civilization meets a less advanced one. The less.advanced civilizations culture.gets destroyed.
there are numerous reasons but all beneficial to said govt.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Just the opposite. People would panic, there would be mass suicides, (remember hale-bopp) and basic chaos in the streets.

When War of the Worlds was broadcast it led to all kinds of panic and people in general are more stupid today so it would be far worse. Also what benefits would we gain from disclosing it?

I can't think of any. Those of us who already believe will jump up and down and say "I told you so" and then stand there and go "um...ok now what?"

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by WXBackdoor

I don't see what you are getting at with the link you posted.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Lets face facts most of the world is controlled by the top religions(or at least greatly influenced by them), and most of those religions deny the existence of extra terrestrial beings, so yeah it wouldn't make them look very reputable if some little green men just showed up on scene one day looking for a meet and great.
That would just be one of the reasons if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Just the opposite. People would panic, there would be mass suicides, (remember hale-bopp) and basic chaos in the streets.

When War of the Worlds was broadcast it led to all kinds of panic and people in general are more stupid today so it would be far worse. Also what benefits would we gain from disclosing it?

I can't think of any. Those of us who already believe will jump up and down and say "I told you so" and then stand there and go "um...ok now what?"

Actually to day a child knows more about science than an adult did when war of the worlds was broadcast. And the last study showed that today the average IQ is on the climb

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Yeah I was born in the wrong quadrant of the milky way I think. I need to escape from the prison planet.

edit on 11/8/14 by metaldemon2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Lets face facts most of the world is controlled by the top religions(or at least greatly influenced by them), and most of those religions deny the existence of extra terrestrial beings, so yeah it wouldn't make them look very reputable if some little green men just showed up on scene one day looking for a meet and great.

But with religion shown to be wrong once and for all wouldn't that just leave the state for the people to believe in? Wouldn't that be a dream come true for Governments? Also people are adaptable and I think religion would survive as it survived the great advances in science in the last hundred years.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Consider this: The reason we haven't had disclosure is because there is nothing to disclose.

I realize this is a mind blowing concept, but I'm just putting it out there.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I believe the Governments started this cover-up back in the World War II Era when it actually did make a bit of sense if you stop to think about it. However, I don't think it took very long at all before the situation basically trapped them into always lying about it into the future. How do you admit the lie when it spans DECADES and everyone's favorite President or Sec Def or whatever is equally guilty as anyone else involved in it?

Whatever last shreds of trust and respect for government..given current issues already...would probably be destroyed. What crimes, let alone little things like Constitutional violations would HAD to have occurred if this is what many believe it is for the truth? ...and EVERY living U.S. leader beyond a certain point would be equally guilty. The whole system has every reason to protect itself...just for the sake of it.

Of course that also makes it depressingly unlikely we see disclosure unless there is enormous political change and the VAST majority of new people have no connection to this and hence, no loyalty to protecting the past. Fat chance we see that happen tho...

I'm not sure people like Bush or Obama personally believe it should all be secret..maybe they do? Either way though, they're just trapped by the magnitude and how impossible it is to spin it. Uncle Sammy can never admit fault...he just doesn't have it in him.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows

Originally posted by SpaDe_

But with religion shown to be wrong once and for all wouldn't that just leave the state for the people to believe in? Wouldn't that be a dream come true for Governments? Also people are adaptable and I think religion would survive as it survived the great advances in science in the last hundred years.

Oh man apparently you haven't been to a hardcore baptist church before. If you walked in and told those people that their religion was defunct, I really wouldn't expect to see you walk out of that building. Some people on this planet have so much faith in their religion as it is they will march right into a building filled with men, women, and children with a bomb strapped to their chest and detonate it, all because someone said "god" wanted them to. Now imagine you telling these same people that their "gods" were wrong all this time.

My guess is it would look something like if you set off a miniature nuke inside these peoples minds. The end results would be a lot less than desirable if you get what I am saying.

ETA: I am not singling out any religion here, I am talking about most if not all of the popular religions around the world. Don't want it to seem like I am singling out one or the other.

edit on 8/14/2011 by SpaDe_ because: add disclaimer

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I have never accepted this idea that if aliens came to earth they would just invade and destroy and murder like the Europeans did in the Americas. It seems like a cop-out to me, to explain away possible alien behavior by comparing it to humans a few hundred years ago. In fact I fail to see how the idea is in any way valid. It assumes that extra terrestrials would only be interested in exploiting our resources and slave labor, which does not seem like the case to me at all if they are indeed visiting this planet.

Would it really be in governments' interests? That all depends on the aliens' purpose. If the popular stories about the grays and their human harvesting are true, then yes, I can see how it would be beneficial to hide such a thing. In that scenario there really is not much of a choice; allow them to do what they want, or be wiped from the face of the earth.

If the aliens are peaceful, and offer some sort of alternative to this self-destruction our species now participates in, then again the answer would be yes. In this scenario, aliens offering a better way of life that is not dependent on an unjust and brutal financial/industrial/military complex would obviously threaten those in power.

There are any number of scenarios you can play with, and most of them come out as a "yes" to your question. Remember, to become a person of power, you must also want that power, which also implies that you wish to never lose that power, no matter the cost.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by adeclerk

Consider this: The reason we haven't had disclosure is because there is nothing to disclose.

I realize this is a mind blowing concept, but I'm just putting it out there.

That's what I'm saying.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Why would the government keep aliens classified?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hey look! a thread about this has been posted before!

edit on 14-8-2011 by balon0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

For some reason many don't even consider that as an option. That's how you weed the critical thinkers out of the Alien/UFO question (if there are even any in the Alien/UFO field...).

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrchusGhule
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I have never accepted this idea that if aliens came to earth they would just invade and destroy and murder like the Europeans did in the Americas. It seems like a cop-out to me, to explain away possible alien behavior by comparing it to humans a few hundred years ago. In fact I fail to see how the idea is in any way valid. It assumes that extra terrestrials would only be interested in exploiting our resources and slave labor, which does not seem like the case to me at all if they are indeed visiting this planet.

Would it really be in governments' interests? That all depends on the aliens' purpose. If the popular stories about the grays and their human harvesting are true, then yes, I can see how it would be beneficial to hide such a thing. In that scenario there really is not much of a choice; allow them to do what they want, or be wiped from the face of the earth.

If the aliens are peaceful, and offer some sort of alternative to this self-destruction our species now participates in, then again the answer would be yes. In this scenario, aliens offering a better way of life that is not dependent on an unjust and brutal financial/industrial/military complex would obviously threaten those in power.

There are any number of scenarios you can play with, and most of them come out as a "yes" to your question. Remember, to become a person of power, you must also want that power, which also implies that you wish to never lose that power, no matter the cost.

I agree to part of the post by metaldemon2000 in as much as a negative inpact. It has been shown that when an advanced civilisation comes in contact with a less advanced one the less advanced one rarely survives intact and that can be due to good ententions as well. It doesn't have to mean an agressive encounter. But that might be why we've not heard from aliens if they're out there, I doubt it would have anything to do with our Governments.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OrchusGhule

Aliens wont make.contact though.

Not while we are a non spacefaring race that still engages im tribal and religious warfare. We are too primitive and too dangerous.
You say aliens have grown beyond the need for.warfare? Im ok with that. The problem is that we haven't. Imagine they came right now and gave us.their tech? We would make warships and weapons and then wage war across the cosmos.

The answer is.no. peaceful aliens wont come because we are.bloodthirsty.

If there are hostile aliens the only interest they have in us would be either a massive labour force or perhaps footsoldiers in their war machine. Mineral resources are more abundant in space than on.earth so that's out of the question.

I.hate how people think the human race is.so.special that aliens need to come here and.save us.from ourselves and give us tech handouts like we are on the intergalactic welfare system ffs.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
Why would the government keep aliens classified?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hey look! a thread about this has been posted before!

edit on 14-8-2011 by balon0 because: (no reason given)

Didn't know that. Well I guess it's been posted again as so often happens in the realm of debate, things just keep on coming up.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by adeclerk

For some reason many don't even consider that as an option. That's how you weed the critical thinkers out of the Alien/UFO question (if there are even any in the Alien/UFO field...).

I think every field needs critical thinkers.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join