It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is the single most important issue in the history of the world

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+73 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
No, I am not trying to be dramatic, but this issue does need the attention of everyone.

We have a loaded gun pointed to the head of humanity. That gun has a hair trigger and no one is even flinching. The loaded gun is the over 400 nuclear power plants and 250 research reactors worldwide. Now think of this: NASA has already warned us of what the sun WILL do. They've already told us that we are entering a period where the likelihood of major regions will lose power and the grid will be inoperable for an indefinite period of time. That time period could go on for years. Nuclear power plants need electricity to maintain stability and keep the rods cool and prevent a meltdown. Now, what's going to happen when the inevitable CME hits Earth and knocks out some, or all, of the world's electrical power grid? Of course, those nuclear plants are connected to that grid and they will be without power and will begin the rather quick process of melting down and releasing incomprehensible amounts of radiation into the atmosphere. As you all know, the effects are not local for even one reactor -- such a meltdown would affect a large part of the world. Several reactors melting down would spell near-extinction --- hundreds would guarantee the planet would not be inhabitable for thousands of years.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this is the one issue that should take priority in the news, websites, forums, etc. These plants need to SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY or as soon as technically possible. Generators being used as a backup are a ridiculous "solution" to such a problem. These generators may have enough fuel for a month. Most have enough fuel for at most one week.

And, who do you think will run these generators when all hell breaks loose? Do you think the operators and technicians at these plants will be interested in leaving their families, whom they need to protect? Do you think they'll even be able to get to the plant with an inoperable car? And what about the circuitry in the generator itself? Do you trust this, or any other, government to ensure that these plants will remain powered no matter what happens?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
pics or it didn't happen

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
S+F .. I'm right there with you!

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
We just went through a bunch of very strong solar activity and nothing happened so don't you think your overreacting a bit.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

link   
you mean spend money to possibly save lives???

they would never...

link   
Sure enough nuclear power is a massive issue, but every nuclear reactor can't just be shut down at will. With them being all over the world and under different rule there will always be non believers and who says that America would be willing to turn their nuclear power off? If power was cut to millions of people, it would just cause riots and looting, so this isn't the answer, they just need to find an alternative.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

A textbook case of too much ATS. A lot of people on here focus on the flares but I've never had an issue related to one. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No. Is it often exaggerated on this website? Certainly.

link   
If NASA said that, then I see the right hand, what is the left hand going to do? Kenpo!

link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

I was thinking of a way to argue the posting but then I thought that post would do more to belittle the thread than anything coherent I could think up.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
We just went through a bunch of very strong solar activity and nothing happened so don't you think your overreacting a bit.

The recent solar activity is not the issue. The issue is what NASA has already warned us about -- solar activity in the near FUTURE that makes the recent activity look like nothing in comparison.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Has there actually ever been a recorded case of disaster from anything solar related other than a sunburn? Not sure I agree that this is a big issue.

+5 more 
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
you mean spend money to possibly save lives???

they would never...

Exactly, but look at all the ignorant replies already...that's what we're really up against.

link   

Wow you sure hit on something I'd never even thought of. If anyone is interested in something solid to research, the best example is called the 1859 Carrington Event. It's something I've researched at length myself yet the nuclear plant issue hadn't even crossed my mind. You'd think after Fukushima it would have.... Oh jeeze.. You're absolutely right about shutting them down. At least until a power solution equal to the time it takes to shut them down to a cold and stable state is solved for EVERY one of them. You've hit on a full blown calamity just sitting there, patiently waiting.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
NASA has also warned of us eventually getting hit by an asteroid or comet so wouldn't that be even a more serious issue. They stated it could happen at anytime.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Has there actually ever been a recorded case of disaster from anything solar related other than a sunburn? Not sure I agree that this is a big issue.

1859 and 1921 and 1960.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

NASA has also warned of us eventually getting hit by an asteroid or comet so wouldn't that be even a more serious issue. They stated it could happen at anytime.

After the dust settles, the earth would not be uninhabitable if the nuclear plants were shut down prior to the impact. However, if they remain open and such an impact occurs, it could have the same effect.

link   

Did not know that and I will look up the dates and see what happened there.

Astronomy is not really my area of study so always glad to increase my knowledge on that subject.

link   
reply to post by BrianC

pic.'s...

Op this is a scary thought...I am thinking about what you have said, and it makes sense. What is the Government doing about this problem? Do they even realize that it is a problem?
How do these nuke plants work anyway? Can they be shut down, and the fuel rods sealed in lead or something?
This is really scary!!!! Yes some questions need to be asked about this, but who do we ask?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

The 1859 Carrington Event has been estimated since as high as a possible X-48 on the strength scale. It had Aurora's as far south as San Salvador and Venezuela for 5 days. It also put enough raw power into the physical AIR itself that the American telegraph system ran just fine in many documented examples without batteries or other power source. Arcs off these same lines and power in the air sparked a large number of brush fires.

Military would be fully shielded in the same way they are from EMP and by the same stuff, to my understanding, but no one else is. Not a calamity..until the Nuclear Plant issue comes into it. Yikes!

edit on 12-8-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join