It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food at Walmart tastes strange but is it safe?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I won't buy meat from Walmart. They inject co2 into the packages to keep the meat red until you open it and most of the time the meat goes brown within minutes of exposure to air. You have no idea how old it is. Next time you walk through a walmart meat department take a good look at any steak that has a bone, you will notice that the meat is sinking off of the bone which is a great indicator that it is old beef, although some people like aged beef, I don't.

I was a butcher for a few years and learned a lot about meat, after learning about it and then walking into a walmart store and taking a look in the meat department, I wont ever buy meat from them again.

I noticed that produce from walmart turns fast as well, but I don't know the reason behind that.

Canned goods are the same everywhere yo go so walmart is good for cans, but not anything fresh.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

YAY!!!! thanks so much for that info. I didn't know that could be found so close. I'm gonna check that out!!!! So its a farmers market???? OMG I'm so excited. Is that weird??? The thought of getting hold of some real food. My kids are gonna be thrilled. I hope I understood that right. Hahaha I'm gonna go back and read the post again. Been in the sun too long.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

I think it is because Wal Mart cuts costs in any way, shape or form possible. As far as the fruit and veggies, that's probably because they have such a high rate of sales and because they don't use local suppliers. I always try to get my veggies from our local fruit market or Kroger. Kroger stores are really good at buying local produce when it's in season so it's always ripe and fresh. As far as meats, I know they only carry a certain brand. And that brand is way too expensive for me, especially their beef. I think it's Tyson foods. At least it's that way with chicken and possibly pork. It could be the supplier, or it's got different preservatives on it to keep it usable longer.

I don't think you're being slowly poisoned. It's just low quality goods.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SHABBYCAT

Yes, its an open air tyoe thing, a row of farmers
its seasonal, but i think it goes until november? For real find a wic office, since they give out vouchers to participants, they have the info. They move around the city thats why its diff days, diff areas.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I did this experiment.

I bought hamburger at walmart. I fried up three different one pound chunks, weighed on my lab scale. I then drained off the liquid and refrigerated.
the 80% hamburger was 20% watery liquid, 20% fat and 60% ground grizzle and meat.

I did the same experiment for local grass fed beef from "Cindy" (alocal farmer)
90% beef was 9% fat& liquid and 91% beef.

I called the bureau of weight and measures and was told it was not illegal to add water to meat.

As far as veggies. Try a Walmart tomato and an old fashion heritage type from a local farmer. You will never eat a Walmart tomato again - TASTELESS.

I switched to locally grow and I have lost weight and I feel a LOT better. So yes I would be very very careful of Walmart food.

READ: SHIELDING THE GIANT: USDA's “Don't Look, Don't Know” Policy www.google.com... PDF.pdf&ei=D55BToy7MqbV0QH64en3CQ&usg=AFQjCNFyihQwzKddRp5FJiHN_lKJEGf55Q

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
As a former assistant store manager for wal-mart I can tell you the reason your friend doesnt buy food there. It's because the discount does not apply to food items. Unless things have changed. Its been four years since I worked there.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 8/9/11 by Djdoubt03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Thank you Soooo much. I'm gonna go find a wic office on Friday and check out that farmers market you recomend. I'm am really glad you gave me that info. I had a friend tell me there were no farmers markets around here ,instead of trying to find one I just believed her. I shoulda looked. But now I'm the one with the info......Hahaha thanks

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It may depend on what time of the month you buy your groceries. I remember reading an article that stated big box grocers put out there less desirable food during the time food stamps get re upped. They do this because they know the poor folk are tapped out by that time and they will buy anything the store has.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
None of the meat at Wal-mart is cut or ground what-so-ever at the store, it comes all pre-packaged. Up to 12% of the 'meat' are chemical additives. It says so on the packaging.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

That may be, but in the past few years, in texas, they give them out on different days. Depends on the last number of your case number. I think up to the 15th.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
My experience with Walmart is that it is not a store for a cook that can COOK.

I can't find any spices that are 1 step away from common. There's apple vinegar, white vinegar, and cheap wine vinegar. They don't sell bread flour where I shop. I can only get yeast in high priced little jars or strips.
The meat sucks. Can I say sucks here? It does. They use the old cut for flat iron steak that ruins them. I think they put bleach or irradiate them or do something because they stay red too long. Meat should brown if not used right away, it should not stay red until it rots. lol

Veggies are near gone when you buy them. I can buy a veggie at Kroger and 4 days later I can use it. At walmart, if I don't use it RIGHT THEN it will rot. They are old when they get to the store I guess,and they gas the tomatoes because they will be beet red but not ripe.

I don't know how they mess up bread as bad as they do. It doesn't matter what sort of bread it is that you buy at walmart (bakery bread) it ALL TASTE THE SAME. Just the shapes are different.

I find that to be true at other grocery stores too though, which is why I just make our bread in general.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Here's a quote about the sale of non-organic milk as an organic product at Walmart. I've been to Walmart's three times. I laughed at their organic section because it clearly wasn't organic (produce). Since I've shopped in People's Food Co-ops and Farmer's markets since the late 80's, I can spot a waxy, super weirdo fruit a mile away....no label needed. Organic produce just doesn't look a certain way. Veggie Telepathy.

Not All Organic Foods are Created Equal The organic milk that Wal-Mart sells under their own “Great Value” brand is a perfect example of how their influence can negatively effect the quality of organic food. This milk is supplied by Aurora Organic Dairy which is a large company that supplies other retailers such as Safeway, Costco, and Target as well. Aurora Organic has been accused on multiple occasions of selling organic milk that is in fact not organic. Horizon Organic is another large distributor of organic milk that also supplies Wal-Mart and has been accused of the same thing. Based on this, the Organic Consumers Association has called for a boycott of both suppliers.

I pulled that from this article: naturalbias.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

Why am I not surprised. Milk and Eggs from HEB from now on unless I can find a true farmer's market, we've looked, but they mostly just seem to be roadside rip offs where crap is brought in from Mexico (we're right next to it) and they sell it for whatever. I was telling my GF how when I was young, my grandmother would drive to the actual farm every week and refill the glass bottles with fresh milk, you could pet the damn cows on the way home (upstate NY). Now I hear they're raiding sellers of fresh food.

The tomatoes at both Walmart and HEB all year have been tasteless. I have two plants and the few I get are remarkable in that they actually taste like a delicious tomato. I also notice that when I water them with hose water, they hardly respond, rain water and they jump up like crazy. We only get rain about once every three months here lately so it's been tough.

HEB makes a lot of claims about buying locally and using their own shrimp boats etc. I just hope half of it is true. If they had a good size legit farmer's market around here, it would make a killing, why do I get the feeling Walmart and HEB would do anything necessary to keep that from happening.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by chessxcore

None of the meat at Wal-mart is cut or ground what-so-ever at the store, it comes all pre-packaged. Up to 12% of the 'meat' are chemical additives. It says so on the packaging.

It is a heck of a lot worse that most people realize. Let me see if I can dig up my old notes....

I can not find the specific reference but the USDA does allows meat to be imported from countries with disease but not live cattle. This is where McDonalds and Walmart get at least some of their meat YUM!

The inspection of food sucks ever since the FDA/USDA changed to HACCP in 1996. This put the corporations in charge of food inspection and testing and left government agents in charge of looking at paperwork instead of inspecting food. About half of the government testing labs were shut down. The incidence of food borne Illness doubled within two years and has done nothing but go up.
see:
SHIELDING THE GIANT: USDA's “Don't Look, Don't Know” Policy: www.whistleblower.org...

HACCP regs: mfu.org...

IMPORTED FOOD

Food inspections have dropped from a robust 50,000 in 1972 to about 5,000 today, meaning that U.S. food processors are inspected on average about every 10 years. The chance of a food product from overseas being inspected is infinitesimal. Most raw materials for our drugs come from foreign producers that are rarely inspected. The rate of quality-control failures found in manufacturing facilities by FDA inspectors has soared. www.washingtonpost.com...

WTO directive to NOT allow inspections
www.oie.int...

The USDA has decrease the inspection of imported food from 8.0% to 0.6% WHILE IMPORTS HAVE DOUBLED SINCE THE MID NINETIES.

www.worldnetdaily.com...

FDA Issuing Fewer Warning Letters To Companies For Poor Quality, Safety Standards, Congressional Report Says www.medicalnewstoday.com...
worsened by the FDA's inability to inspect imports. The percentage of important seafood shipments with samples taken for laboratory inspection has decreased over the past four years, from 0.88 percent in 2003 to 0.59 percent in 2006 www.worldnetdaily.com...

List of imports by country and diseases

www.ers.usda.gov...

Total...... American Beef......live Cattle exports (Carcass wt. 1,000 pounds)

Beef and veal imports (Carcass wt. 1,000 pounds)
Country......2004......2008......diseases
Uruguay..402,898...65,549......2001 FMD outbreak

Brazil...219,393...212,907...... 2005 FMD outbreak, Vesicular stomatitis, Bluetongue (now found in USA)
Lymphatic filariasis, Leishmaniasis, Onchocerciasis (River Blindness), Trypanosoma cruzi,

Argentina...116,606... 55,966......2008 FMD outbreak

Nicaragua...65,397...99,384......Trypanosomiasis (Chagas disease),leptospirosis

Costa Rica..23,632...19,239...... rabies, Naegleria fowler, Encephalitis, vesicular stomatitis viruses, Leptospirosis, Trypanosomiasis (Chagas disease)

Mexico...19,495....43,783...... tuberculosis, brucellosis "cattle tick fever," Trypanosoma cruz, Vesicular stomatitis

Canada...1,062,420... 841,242......tuberculosis, BSE

Live cattle imports
Country...... 2004............ 2008
Mexico......1,370,476......702,661
Canada............135......1,581,303

Panama (now listed as other) Trypanosomiasis (Chagas disease), Vesicular stomatitis

LIVESTOCK DISEASES Info;

Foot & Mouth Disease:
FMD highly contagious in human lungs (several days)and tonsils (several weeks) www.agriculture.state.pa.us...

World Map by OIE ftp.oie.int...
U.S.- MEXICO FREE TRADE: ANIMAL HEALTH ISSUES
www.farmfoundation.org/news/articlefiles/864-wagner.pdf

www.fao.org...
www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/monitoring/pdf/vr-reportaprjun05.pdf
www.cdc.gov...

Foot & Mouth www.brazzilmag.com...
Bluetongue www.economy-point.org...
Trypanosomiasis Chagas www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov...
leptospirosis lib.bioinfo.pl...:9780268
Naegleria fowler www.sciencedirect.com... 1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=95b573c1613f616b6c6557ac5f8ae36b

Encephalitis www.ajtmh.org...
vesicular stomatitis viruses www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/monitoring/pdf/vs-usa.pdf
tuberculosis & brucellosis www.mexico-usato.com/documents/145783755.pd
cattle tick fever www.countryworldnews.com...
Bovine neosorosis lib.bioinfo.pl...:9618881

Free trade & Disease query.nytimes.com...

Export regs from USA ecfr.gpoaccess.gov...:1.0.1.4.32.2&idno=9

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Stunning.

You know, I watch the ridiculous TV news about once a week now to stay "current" with what they're up to and you almost never see anything substantial on subjects like this. They can spend hour after hour talking about Lady GaGa, but not a full three minutes on the things that truly affect the lives of everyone.
And I'M THE NUT because I get information from the web and must be a conspiracy nut because I don't trust the government. I just want to choke my family sometimes.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Paschar0

OMG you have no idea. My family is THE SAME WAY. they all think I am crazy cuz I don't wanna eat the garbage they eat. They treat me horrible because I don't have teevee, because I save silver and gold, because I have freeze dried food and stocks of water and stuff for emergency. Oh and please, they really flipped when they found out I joined a "conspiracy" web site, I don't even associate with them anymore. They can have ALL THAT CRAP at Walmart , and because I'm not so dumb to fall for everything I am told I am the crazy one? Ughhhh ,I know what ya mean.

I believe I could be way "worse" (is what they call it) more aware (is what I call it) but because I'm worried about getting people involved in my life that id rather not have in it I need to keep a certain amount to myself. If you know what I mean.

When I am out at the garden store buying seeds and organic soil I LOVE running into people that think like I do ,I enjoy it here but to actually talk face to face with someone who gets it......man ,its great!!!!

You know id grow my own food here but I was already told by the hoa that I can not. So I'm gonna try to get a set up inside and see how it goes, then I can leave the grocer alone and eat my own food. I really wish I had a farm ,I am a major city girl and never thought id say it but Ya, I would LOVE to have a small farm. The things I would do. So many ideas. Maybe one day.

Thanks for all the great info EVERYONE has added ,especially the ones close to me.
I'm so excited to try the farmer market on Saturday.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
BTW.....stars,stars,stars, STARS for everyone and stars and a flag for the person who wrote this. Thanks to you I get to go to a farmers market on Saturday ,well you and the Texan ,who gave me the info.

XXXOOO

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The lure of Walmart is their prices. I too have learned not to buy: fruits, vegetables and their store brand meat. I'll buy national names for meat but nothing of their own. The fruits and veggies do go bad quickly and despite how ripe the fruit looks it never tastes that way. The bakery goods just taste bland...kinda like old Little Debbie's. I bought a cantalope once and over night it rotted right on my counter...even thouh it looked perfectly normal at the store. Canned goods, dairy, snacks, cereal and pop are about the only food I will buy there. But when you go to a local store with much higher prices, I can understand why people still buy the "fresh" things at Walmart.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The "fresh" food most definitely tastes strange. If it tastes wrong, odds are it's not healthy for you either. Don't hold your breath waiting for any government agency to investigate anytime soon either.

posted on Feb, 22 2023 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Man 100% agree. I've said this for years. No matter what the item Wal-Mart food all has the same strange Taste. I mean everything, the chips taste like the butter, butter tastes like the meat. My wife thinks I'm nuts but I can't be the only one who notices. We've went to friends for dinner. Walk in and instantly I know something cooking was bought at walmart . glad to know I'm not nuts. I came across this post by accident. I live in Canada
edit on 22-2-2023 by boydc503 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join