It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Association Between Maternal Exposure to Magnetic Fields and Development of Asthma in Kids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Possible Association Between Maternal Exposure to Magnetic Fields and Development of Asthma in Children

www.sciencedaily.com

ScienceDaily (Aug. 1, 2011) — Children whose mothers had high exposure to magnetic fields (MF) during pregnancy appear to have an increased risk of developing asthma, according to a report published Online First by Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, one of the JAMA/Archives journals.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Of course, this is a new study, and one that has yet to be duplicated, but even so.... Asthma is a tremendously huge factor in medical revenue, and should this correlation stand, I suspect a new protocol will have to be established on the job and in public because magnetic field (MF) exposure is not something we have ever thought to protect ourselves from outside of extreme circumstances.

A full 13% of our pre-adult population suffers from some degree of asthma, and incredibly, it has increased 74 percent from 1980 to 1996.

During the 13 years of follow-up, 130 children (20.8 percent of the study participants) developed asthma, with most cases diagnosed by 5 years of age. Researchers observed a statistically significant linear dose-response relationship between increasing maternal median daily MF exposure level during pregnancy and an increased risk of asthma in children. Every one-milligauss increase in a pregnant woman's median MF exposure was associated with a 15 percent increase in the risk of the child developing asthma. The association was especially strong for firstborn children and those whose mothers had a history of asthma, two known risk factors for the condition.
"In conclusion, the findings of the present study open up a new area in understanding the risk factors for asthma and the health effects of ubiquitous MF exposure, especially during pregnancy," the authors state.

Let's hope the establishment can resist the business opportunity this represents, and instead opt to help improve the human condition..... I can dream can't I?

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
hmmmm im not really convinced, afterall corrrelation does not always equal causation

me thinks its mostly pollution thats causes asthma

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I found an article a few years ago that linked asthma to CALPOL [baby paracetamol].

ATS: Connection between Child Asthma and Paracetamol - I do think this is an important subject, we cannot just accept the number of children with asthma like we do.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I want you to know that I really appreciate this info. I had not seen this report and this subject hits me very close to home.
Centerpoint Energy is trying to locate a new project through my property. It consists of a 354 kV transmission line. 150 ft towers right the # through my front yard. Scuse my french.

Residents, county say 'No' to transmission line
We have been fighting them and we wont quit until they leave with their tails between their legs and the more info I can find about the adverse health affects of EMF the better armed I will be.

Again. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Never mind the asthma, power lines have not been healthy for humans for a long time.

"Power lines: Short circuits to illness
email to friend printer friendly
Electromagnetic fields (or EMFs) from electricity lines almost certainly cause leu-kaemia, Alzheimer’s disease and other degenerative illnesses. Yet, most scientists—and every power supplier and government planning department around the world— continue to deny that power lines are a health hazard.
The International Agency for Cancer Research of the World Health Organization (WHO) has classified extremely low-frequency (ELF) EMFs as a possible carcinogen (cancer-causing agent) in light of the over-whelming evidence that has been uncovered in recent years. Indeed, the Agency’s latest position, reported in 2001, is a complete reversal of its stance of four years ago, when it agreed with most scientists that there is no evidence of a causal link between power lines and severe illnesses. The WHO also recommends that power lines be sited well away from homes “to reduce people’s exposure”.
In the UK, the government-funded..."
Link
www.wddty.com...

and...

"It was sort of a funny story when we first heard about it a few years ago: A dairy farmer living in Wisconsin near high voltage utility company transmission lines couldn't turn out the lights in his barn. Even with the switches in the off position, night after night after he had finished his chores, he'd go back out to the barn to find the light bulbs still glowing from the electrical charge hovering in the air. The cows were none too happy about it either, because the constant light prevented them from sleeping, and they gave less milk."
Link
www.midtod.com...

these are only two examples.
There was a story here in Aus. where some people who had power lines constructed across their properties stood near them with a fluro globe and it shone! Couldn't make me live near one with my kids ever.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

Goodness! Don't give up at all!
Good luck

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AussieAmandaC

Thanks amanda. I don't intend to

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars