It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old timers- share your UFO stories from the 1960s and 1970s

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I also want to add, I have seen falling stars and meteors before and were never as bright as this light. The light I saw, was a huge bright light that never descended. It went a strict straight line.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Summer of 73 camping just on the ground in a sleeping bag. Full moon and patchy clouds. A disk went over through the clouds and across the moon and kept going. The kid I was with said "did you see that" i said "yeah " and his father said " you boys didn't see anything ad don't forget it" his dad was a control freak as I look back and he couldn't explain it so it didn't happen.

About 78 first new car and had a sunroof. Driving home late at night and several semi clear box type whatever they were paced my car for a mile maybe. Sunroof was open could see them out the front and above. Never really figured out the size but they were real close. Was out in the country. Spooks me to this day to drive down that road at night.

Same car coming back from spring break in Fla and stopped at a rest area late to sleep and get laid. Woke with a start it was daylight and we were the only car in the rest area. It was 10 AM and we both felt strange 2 of us slept in a small car for 8 hours without waking up.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Xmas time of 1974 my business partner and I were driving from El Paso to Mazatlan for a little surfing, R&R and guitar buying trip. We stopped in Chihuahua at a bodega for some Cruz Blancas and an old crone approached us and we handed her 5 pesos as was the customary drill for beggars. She waved away the money and fixed my partner in an icy stare. "Cuidado Hombres" [Be Careful] she said in a barely audible raspy voice, turned and hobbled off into the dark Mexican night. "Interesting" Joe Bob said as we climbed back into the cab of the green Datsun pickup.
Not far out of Chihuahua in the desert we saw what looked like a road block with about 5 or 6 federales and 3 cop cars with their lights flashing. We stopped about 25 yards from the road block and walked up to the officers. They seemed to be in some kind of trance and ignored us. In the distance about a 1/4 mi away was a classic saucer shaped craft, perhaps 30 ft in diameter and 8 ft. thick, Dull silver, illuminated only by the light of the Mexican moon. What happened after that...your guess is as good as mine. Apparently we experienced what is referred to as the "OZ factor" Joe Bob and I both snapped to, driving into the village of El Palmito in the Seirra Madre Mts.some 500 mi. from Chihuahua. No rememberance of that section of the trip whatsoever.
Joe Bob and I never talk about our ufo experience but we do remember the choka ocean y guapa changuitas on the lovely west coast of Mexico. Our subsequent trips were uneventful expect for the parties and el buena andas.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

If I were you, I'd get with your state MUFON guy and set up a hypnotic regression with a professional who understands regression and ufo experiences, -IF- that can be arranged, because your case sounds like it could be --majorly-- sifnificant.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ManInAsia

Background first on why the event was taking place.

Sure. My father was in WWII, and was in fact in the 29th division, artillery and went in on Normandy Beach. Met my mother in England at a small pub that my grandmother ran (in England at least at that time, the pubs were owned by the breweries and people managed them). This is relevant, because my parents had a reunion one weekend in 1970 when I was 8 years old.

I was bored out of my skull. And no, I was not sneaking any drinks..

So, I sat on the back porch, and we had a fabulous view of downtown Pittsburgh. I was watching the J&L Steel corporation's coke furnaces belching out flames hundreds of feet in the air.

I suddenly noticed a LARGE brightly lit cigar shaped UFO, it had to be 1000' feet long, suddenly dart from the other side of Pittsburgh, and FLASH to just over Oakland. It sat there for a good 30 minutes, just silently hovering. I ran in to get ANYONE to come out and see it, but since I was an 8 year old brat, everyone just assumed I wanted attention. I sat there watching it.

It had hundreds of portals on the side. I could make out shapes that seemed to go past each of the portals but it was too far away for me to make anything out. The ship was as solid as anything I had ever seen. At first I thought it might be some kind of reflection from the coke flames, but no I could make out the polished (or seemed to be) surface.

I was mesmerized. Of course being 8, I didn't have access to a Polaroid, so I had no way to prove what I saw.

The next morning, when my parents finally emerged with their BLARING hangovers, we were listening to KDKA news, and they reported a "cigar shaped ufo" over Pittsburgh last night!!

My parents sat there looking at me, and I said "told you I saw one last night"!!!

Of course, I was now addicted to UFO research. I know what I saw, it was not anything but a ship, not a soul on this planet could ever convince me otherwise.

I just wish I had been able to take a photo.

Matadoor.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

Sorry, meant to add that when it left, it made a slow circle towards Homestead, then simply flashed away to the east faster than was possible at the time. When it kicked into high gear, it looked like it almost winked out of existence. I didn't sleep that night.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This is not my own, nor am I related or anything - but it happened in the 60's in a field not far from where I live, so the account interests me. It may interest you too

Date of Sighting: August 1965
Time: around 7pm

After 45 years I feel it time to document an extraordinary event that happened to my sister and I on a warm August evening in 1965. Although reported by the local press and investigated by the local police and air force officials from RAF Benson the sighting was never officially listed, even though I believe it remains one of the most incredible daylight encounters ever in the UK.

We lived in the small village of North Moreton, which at the time was quite remote; our house bordered farmers fields which..if followed for about 4 miles, would lead to Didcot (which was a small town in those days). I was just eight years old and my sister was six, It was a warm evening and we decided to take our border collie Buster "up the fields" for a walk.

He was very protective so my parents had no fears for our safety and we were told always to keep him on a rope..which we duly did. We had been out for about an hour and were making our way back through open fields keeping to the tractor ways. With the house in sight Buster, suddenly started yelping and leaping in the air, dragging me forward so hard that I had to let him go.

He raced off toward the house and I turned to Sharon, who's hand I was holding, and said "whats up with Buster?"...at that instant we were both immersed in light and sound. An object the size of a small car quickly descended over us with a light so bright that one of my clearest memories is looking at the grass at our feet and being unable to lift my head.

The sound was a constant hum/purr and there was a strange feeling in our hair and on our skin. I panicked and ran a few paces, leaving Sharon who screamed and screamed. As I turned to her and shouted "run" I could see the object through the light...it was no more that a few feet above her head, as she ran toward me it followed her for a few yards...

Then, in the blink of an eye it shot straight up into the clear sky with incredible speed, I recall seeing it as a tiny round speck, the ascent being followed by what I described at the time as "thunder in the sky". Almost petrified with fear I ran to the house screaming for my parents, leaving my sister to make her way own back. My mother ran back up the fields and scooped her up.

Even though we had no knowledge of UFO's or any idea of what we had seen the incident had a profound effect on us. In fact it was only some weeks later when a local farmer ploughing his fields at night had similar encounter with an identical object that my parents contacted the Police who in turn alerted the RAF.

To this day my memory of the event is vivid and my minds picture of the object ascending will stay with me forever.

From the site uk-ufo.co.uk

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Interesting and relevant posts, keep them coming!
BTW the term Old timers is a friendly term, after all we are all old timers sooner or later if we are lucky. It doesn't mean you are not young at heart.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ManInAsia

In the early 1970s, my mother and I saw a flying saucer in the mountains of Southwest Virginia. I was sitting in a chair talking to my mother in her bedroom. She was sitting on the bed. My older sister was in the kitchen, but could hear our conversation through the open door.

As mother and I were talking, suddenly she pointed out the window and said, "Quick! Come look!" Immediately I jumped up and looked out the window. Flying very low in the sky was a flying saucer. It was a clear, sunny day with no clouds in the sky. We both saw the saucer clearly. We heard no sound. It did not leave a trail. There were no flashing lights. When it passed from sight over a mountain, it appeared to just skim the treetops.

This post is the first time that this encounter has been revealed publicly.

I can not remember if it was before or after I saw the saucer, but it was around the same time. I was up in the mountains behind our home. I was alone. The mountain I was climbing was quite steep, and I was concentrating on trying to move up a few more steps. I stopped in my tracks when I heard a second or two of a strange sound that I can best describe as the sound a phone makes when it is on speed dial. But, keep in mind this was before such technology became widely available. I saw nothing at all when I looked around. I do not know if there is any connection between this event and the sighting of the flying saucer.

Down through the years I have had several experiences that I deem to be quite odd. I will not try to detail them here, but I will say that I have experienced missing time on more than one occasion. Again, I do not know if these experiences are in any way connected with the sighting of the flying saucer.

For some reason that I can not explain, talking about these experiences makes me feel very uneasy. Even attempting to research UFOs, aliens, etc. online or watching TV programs about the subject causes me to feel tense and uncomfortable. I am having to fight that feeling even now as I am writing this. And for that reason, I will say no more at this time.

Note: My mother is now deceased, but my sister clearly remembers the commotion my mother and I made and remembers the both of us claiming to have seen a flying saucer.
edit on 24-8-2011 by JunkCarZombie because: Thought of something that I wanted to add.

posted on Nov, 13 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Hey man

Here are my stories of three viewings in the 50s and 60s
Enjoy Three sightings
edit on 13-11-2011 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Thank you all for your awesome stories.Anybody got anymore from back in the days when people didn't have their noses shoved in the nearest electronic device?

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It was 1965 Phoenix, AZ at the age of 12. It was summer, in the late afternoon but before twilight. I can still vividly remember catching something very bright move quickly in the sky. I looked high up and watched as 5 objects in the sky converged in a circle, hovered and then moved individually at light speed in five different directions. I knew they were not airplanes, jets or helicopter as none of these can move at these speeds or precision.
They were back in what I thought was seconds, then they came together in a triangular shape and maintain this pattern while still flying and while moving first to a higher elevation, then East, West North and South. All at tremendous speed. Although it seemed like it all happened within seconds more time had passed than I can account for.

edit on 31-8-2016 by lad511 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 31 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ManInAsia

Saw one 68ish cops had it surrounded right in front of god and everybody. PTB took great effort to "warn" all witnesses and there were many to shut the yap or else.

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Another year, another gray hair. Keep 'em coming!

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I have no personal sighting for those decades as I was busy being a kid but here are two of my favourites from the 70's , the first one is the Pascagoula Abduction , it's so crazy it might just be true , and still my all time favourite the 1976 Iran UFO.

edit on 12-9-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

After reading many UFO reports over the years I have a feeling that the 1960s and early 1970s in particular had many genuine UFO sightings.

What is a 'genuine UFO' other than a flying object that remains unidentified?

I was but a kid in the 1970s and although mid to late 1970s Britain had some mighty interesting sightings I never witnessed anything out of the ordinary.

The only UFO I saw was this one

Great programme and perhaps ahead of its time. Oh and the secret military cover-up was for our own good!

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
What is a 'genuine UFO sighting'. Good question.
Obviously there's no such thing, I should rephrase it towards a sighting of an object in daylight or at least a solid object within range of a few hundred meters, and preferably multiple witnesses.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I've got one second hand from my dad, but because it is second hand, I am sketchy on details. He was 12 so this would have been in the early 60's. He and his older brother were camping near their family ranch in Montana, I believe in late summer.

He said something landed nearby that was huge. Lit up and silent. They could see it from their tent. When they went out to look where it was in the morning there were three large marks sunk into the ground where it sat. His brother confirms the story but doesn't like to talk about it for whatever reason.

Both of these men are salt of the earth, very practical kind of men. Personally, I have never seen anything that I couldn't explain in the sky, but I have just heard too many accounts from very sensible people. That includes my husband but his experience would have been early 80's so out of your defined time frame.

posted on Sep, 16 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManInAsia
Another year, another gray hair. Keep 'em coming!

Frankly coming up I could never understand what all the talk was about i.e. was there or wasn't there. I mean everybody knows there ARE UFOs right?.........right? Operation Blue what?

posted on Sep, 17 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Manhater
I'll share mine. Couple of nights ago, when California claimed they shot a missile down, was the night, I saw, at 4:30am on the East Coast, a bright white light go in a straight line towards the west coast, like a speeding bullet. I don't know, if it was the missile or a UFO. But everyone says, if it was the missile, I shouldn't of seen it, considering it wasn't suppose to be on my end, then Texas, filming the same white light that I saw, the following the night or before. I don't know. Was it a UFO or bug? All I know, is that I saw a 4x4 or a 5x5 object streak through the sky faster than lightening and superman, in straight horizontal line. If it was a meteor or a comet or a falling star, I would suspect it would descend. Which it did not. Plus, I have no proof because it was unexpected and I didn't think to have my camera ready. I never believed in UFO's either until that night. Could be a missile or a UFO. I don't know.

Funny you mention Bug. My son was at a park a couple of nights ago, and describes seeing what he called a huge size bug come crashing down to the ground. He thought it might be fragments of a Meteor at first, or a shooting star, but insists it looked like an egg sized bug. Of course no one tried to touch it or take a picture of it.
edit on 17-9-2016 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join