It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress thinking about creating ``Super Congress``, concentrating more power into fewer hands

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Where are the aliens when you need them. I think we need to start over.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

So, basically this will be a committee to put together bills, then the Senators and Representatives would vote on them. I'm not seeing how this is going against the U.S. Constitution, as you alluded to multiple times in your OP.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
A super congress* as far as weve all learned, thier up to no good. You really think theyd create a super congress to save us the citizens? after grossly spending $14 trillion and no intention of ever paying it back like we do our bills???? nope doent work like that. governemnt expands when and whereever possible. look at the 2008, the $800 billion bailout..over 70% of voters said NO to the bailout..the banks, AIG, got our money anyway...you really think congress/governemnti gives 2 cents of you and your life? thier in it to win for THEM* not us. it sounds like another board being created, to benefit corporate ameica and themselves* whens the last time governemnt did anyone for anyone? taxpayers??? all theyve done since 2000 is take take take take...to belive this super congress is to help this country, for the better would be unwise, becuase thats not hte game thier in..who evers gets the most toys wins, is the game capilatist ameria plays today...not lets take care of our citizens first.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Which would not be a bad thing. ... A super Congress has the ability to ignore special interest and lobbyist groups that plague our Congress and allocation process.

?

A regular old "mediocre congress" has the ability to ignore special interests and lobbyist.
Just not the will or motivation. This changes NOTHING! Like the supreme court the mix of selectees will determine the direction of policy (for years to come). Who chooses which congressman to bestow super powers on?
The select few super representatives will just raise their bribe rates" commensurate with theirnew "super-status".

These members of the group are still accountible to the American people, can can be voted out of office during their next election cycle.

Trying to get a spending bill through while people attach stupid ass amednments to it... Its like an overloaded Christmas tree... Just when you think your done somebody tries to palce a star on the top, bringing the entire tree down.

This is also the same argument used for candidates fr federal posts (judges, departments heads etc). Instead of being able to hold an up or down vote, politics get in the way and we go years without filling a needed seat (specifically federal judges - right now the 9th circuit is so over worked its not even funny, and a vote to form a new fedral circuit has been in limbo for the last 10 years and counting).

The checks nad balances are still present since Congress is within its authority to do this. The President can still veot the measure if he doesnt like it, which would force a redo or congressional attempts at a veto override.

We are being held hostage by special intrest groups....

edit on 24-7-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-7-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SG-17
This is what you get for electing Tea Party wackos unwilling to compromise even slightly. Hope you learned your lesson.

Do you people ever give up on the name calling? Seriously, They ARE ALL CRIMINALS. Keep letting them divide you and they will continue to control you. There should be no compromise when it comes to the life and death of a human and that is exactly what they all do.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
They couldn't do this with out a constitutional amendment. The states would have to approve it and that ain't gonna happen. Congress doesn't have the constitutional power to do this.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
As I have read a lot on this subject, I remember the super USA controlled by ten governors in ten distinct areas and
it figures that they are tightening up the agenda. The elite will make sure the minions will stay in control and the greedy get their bonuses.
Keep them dumbed down and afraid. Spin new yarns and keep them guessing as they walk to the camps.
I wonder if Orwell had a premonition?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I forgot, which of them are accountable to the american people? Last I remember, NONE of them are or were accountable. If elections are your answer to holding them accountable, thats why the crooks run the show.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Maybe we forgot about obamacare? They passed that without the states approval. So much so some are trying to repeal it. However; it passed against the majority of the people and states. And if I remember right "The constitution is just a G*D damn piece of paper" PRESIDENT George H.W. bush

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Cybermerc

Actually its not illegal. Budgeting is reserved to the US Congress by the Constitution (day to day operations of the country). Congress can take it upon themsleves to decide how that function is carried out.

As much as I hate the FEderal REserve, Congress was within its authority to temporarily grant the FED the authoirty to run the monetary system.

If its reserved to Congress, Congress can decide how its done, and this is no different.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
reply to post by Xcathdra

I forgot, which of them are accountable to the american people? Last I remember, NONE of them are or were accountable. If elections are your answer to holding them accountable, thats why the crooks run the show.

They all are accountible to the American people. Contrary to people whining, we do have term limits in this country - they are called elections.

Its one thing to get pissed at the FEderal Government.. However, whining and crying over something without taking any action to correct the problem solves what exactly? People need to quit being apathetic and lazy and get out an vote. They need to hold their elected reps accountible. They need to voice their opinions / concerns when something is coming down the pipeline they dont like.

We are in the situation we are in not because of the Government, but because of the American People, We seem to have forgotten that we are the government. We seem to have forgotten that the founding fathers envisioned a population being involved in the government, acting as a check and balance to the people who are voted into office.

Instead, all I see are people whining about something not being fair.

Get off your asses and go vote...

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Instead, all I see are people whining about something not being fair.

Get off your asses and go vote...

How do you justify voting for one criminal over another?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This IS NOT congress thinking about this. IT'S THE DEMOCRAT controlled SENATE! Obama cannot get what he wants from congress so he is going to try and circumvent the House of representatives once and for all. This cannot be allowed to happen!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuroSlam
How do you justify voting for one criminal over another?

Which is why I have stated numerous times now to vote all incumbents out of office and start fresh. The founding fathers never designed our government to be the employ of a permanent ruling class.

Everything the founding fathers established were all based on the premis that the people would participate in government and hold elected officals accountible. At the time a rational and logical view point.

However, people need to quit complaining and actually vote. They need to hold their elected officals accountible.

Our elected officals need to be reminded that just because theyare Democrat or Republican, they still represent everyone who is not one of those groups in their district.

Just like the President - Obama is President of the US, not just the people who voted for him.
edit on 24-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hillbilly123069
This IS NOT congress thinking about this. IT'S THE DEMOCRAT controlled SENATE! Obama cannot get what he wants from congress so he is going to try and circumvent the House of representatives once and for all. This cannot be allowed to happen!

If a super congress is something that is forced onto the house, then yes its going to be a violation of the Constitution - namely Article 1 section 7.

If the House agrees and votes on it though, then there is no violation.

Aside from that, checks and balances are still in place.
House / Senate people assigned are still accountible to the voters.
It still allows for an up or down vote on the budget.
The President can veto the bill
Congress can override the veto
The Supreme Court can review the setup at any point they wish.

We have this in place already in conference committees. In order for a bill to beocme law, the bill must be accepted in both the House and the Senate. The bill must be worded the same, which means the house can give their version to the committee, the senate gives their version to the committee, who then take both bills and essentially merge them.

That one bill goes back to both houses, who then vote and pass it, and it then goes to the PResident for Veot or signing.

The manner in which we are trying to do a budget now is not working. I would rather see them find creative ways to get the job done rather than default and listen to the blame game for the next year before elections.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
this is the very thing the constitution should protect us against!!! we fought to get rid of one tyrannical ruler to just replace him 200 year later i think not!! i dont want to live under the rule that our for fathers fought against. if this does come to pass then i will be a freedom fighter to stop the oppressive government. now who will join me????

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
reply to post by lonegurkha

Maybe we forgot about obamacare? They passed that without the states approval. So much so some are trying to repeal it. However; it passed against the majority of the people and states. And if I remember right "The constitution is just a G*D damn piece of paper" PRESIDENT George H.W. bush

Obamacare has nothing to do with the constitution.Neither do social security or Medicare. It was passed by congress with a majority vote. It is simply a law. Congress is granted the power to make laws. George Bush was an ass plain and simple. Didn't you ever notice Cheny's hand in his back making him talk. What he had to say is irrelivent as is he.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I think if they do this, the less "powerful" members would rebel and vote everything they propose down. This wopuld end up stripping thes elunatics of power which would good for this country.

Can anyone imagine having worse guys than Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell making all the important decisions in this country?

This is truly the scariest thing I have ever seen been posted on ATS!

Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I've got an EVEN BETTER idea! Let's just do away with the federal government all together!

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Which would not be a bad thing. ... A super Congress has the ability to ignore special intrest and lobbyist groups that plague our Congress and allocation process.

Do you really think they would be able to ingore them? Really? I think they are more in danger of being affected by special interest groups and lobbist. They no longer have to bribe all of congress and the senate, just 12 people now.

These members of the group are still accountible to the American people, can can be voted out of office during their next election cycle.

Thats great and all, but what happens in the meanwhile while they still are in power?

Trying to get a spending bill through while people attach stupid ass amendments to it... Its like an overloaded Christmas tree... Just when you think your done somebody tries to palce a star on the top, bringing the entire tree down.

This is also the same argument used for candidates for federal posts (judges, departments heads etc). Instead of being able to hold an up or down vote, politics get in the way and we go years without filling a needed seat (specifically federal judges - right now the 9th circuit is so over worked its not even funny, and a vote to form a new fedral circuit has been in limbo for the last 10 years and counting).

For good or bad, thats the current system. If its not working (which it isn't) you fix it, you don't circumvent it. Most of our representatives won't have a say in what happens, all they will get is a vote and they will be pressured to vote in whatever the super congress wants.

The checks and balances are still present since Congress is within its authority to do this. The President can still veto the measure if he doesnt like it, which would force a redo or congressional attempts at a veto override.

Very true, but (and there is always a but) Obama caves constantly to congress. These 12 people will be able to bully him into accepting what they want him to.

We are being held hostage by special intrest groups....

Totally agree, a new law needs to be passed to make special interest groups illegal.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join