It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress thinking about creating ``Super Congress``, concentrating more power into fewer hands

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
reply to post by Xcathdra

I forgot, which of them are accountable to the american people? Last I remember, NONE of them are or were accountable. If elections are your answer to holding them accountable, thats why the crooks run the show.

They all are accountible to the American people. Contrary to people whining, we do have term limits in this country - they are called elections.

Its one thing to get pissed at the FEderal Government.. However, whining and crying over something without taking any action to correct the problem solves what exactly? People need to quit being apathetic and lazy and get out an vote. They need to hold their elected reps accountible. They need to voice their opinions / concerns when something is coming down the pipeline they dont like.

We are in the situation we are in not because of the Government, but because of the American People, We seem to have forgotten that we are the government. We seem to have forgotten that the founding fathers envisioned a population being involved in the government, acting as a check and balance to the people who are voted into office.

Instead, all I see are people whining about something not being fair.

Get off your asses and go vote...

I think they need to do more than vote, everyone should be politically active (I am). They need to contact their representatives and voice their opinions. Let your representatives know how you feel, if they only hear from special interest groups how do you think they will vote when a bill comes up?

House of Representatives

Senate

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

reply to post by Vitchilo

Which would not be a bad thing. ... A super Congress has the ability to ignore special intrest and lobbyist groups that plague our Congress and allocation process.

And Special Interests groups and Corporate interests wouldn't drown this 12 memeber "Super Congress" in money? The reason everyone competes in Congress to be on a "Commitee" is becuase that is where the MONEY is. Energy, Defense etc. take browse through opensecrets or sunlight foundation's website.

Being on a committe equals CASH.

What do you think will become of a "Super Congress" that is created to be LESS acountable to the people for their actions?

This would an open bankroll to anyone on that "Commitee"

Boehner is pushing this in his latest debt ceiling bill..

Boehner Wants Super Congress To Solve Debt Problem
fairpoliticsusa.com...

I am sure there are Dems that see this as an opportunity as well, but this is part of Boehners latest proposal.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Spending less time on special interests is definitely a good thing for the most part, so I must agree with you there.

However, a "Super Congress / Super Committee"--whatever they want to call it--is simply a poor idea all around. Ultimately, a senator or congressperson's job is to represent their constituents. That's why it is "these United States." Creating a small elite group working towards predominantly national goals further erodes the concept of states' rights.

Am I saying that national goals aren't important? Not in the least. But coming at national goals from a simply national level is misguided and non-representative at best. The less people you have to guide you, the more narrow minded the guidance.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz
reply to post by Vitchilo

S & F

Crazy isnt it - do they stop to think why congress is setup the way it is? Spread the power to minimise corruption doesnt mean anything to these people. Why stop at giving the power to a few, lets just let the president DICTATE what he would like us to do.

Based on your response here I dont think you even know how Government is designed to work / setup the way it is.

Care to bring any facts, examples or even explanation to your post or would you just like me to take your opinionated word as fact and just believe everything you say is right?

Currently I see it like this: In a perfectly fair system everyone would get to vote on everything - but we don't have the time to do this - even though we now have the technology.
So we put people in power to represent us. IMO the less people that are representing us the more easily it is for corruption to spread, or for one idea to take hold instead of a balanced view being presented. The more representatives the better in my opinion - every time we consolidate the voices, someone doesnt get heard.
Isnt this why states exist - so each area can have a voice on it's own needs. As I said if you are going to give the power to a few, why not just have a dictator - why not just have a NWO and 1 person commanding the world.. because you the more brains and voices the more balanced the system.

You say I don't understand - so educate me, help me deny ignorance buddy

edit on 27-7-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
What can I say great minds think alike.
Enjoy yours and I'll enjoy mine.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join