It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress thinking about creating ``Super Congress``, concentrating more power into fewer hands

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Seriously, another grab of power using a manufactured crisis...

'Super Congress': Debt Ceiling Negotiators Aim To Create New Legislative Body

Debt ceiling negotiators think they've hit on a solution to address the debt ceiling impasse and the public's unwillingness to let go of benefits such as Medicare and Social Security that have been earned over a lifetime of work: Create a new Congress.

Because the constitution is so old and so crappy it needs to be tossed aside right?

This "Super Congress," composed of members of both chambers and both parties, isn't mentioned anywhere in the Constitution,

But that doesn't stop those bastards from setting it up.

but would be granted extraordinary new powers.

Like all dictators do.

Under a plan put forth by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his counterpart Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.),

The usual scum... both parties, uniting to screw the American people, the constitution and the system of checks and balances.

Legislation approved by the Super Congress -- which some on Capitol Hill are calling the "super committee" -- would then be fast-tracked through both chambers, where it couldn't be amended by simple, regular lawmakers, who'd have the ability only to cast an up or down vote.

Yeah, basically, STFU average congressman, the CHOSEN ONES (bought by the banks) RULE...

Seriously, this is DISGUSTING... They don't even care anymore, they just concentrate more and more power into fewer and fewer hands.

Their oath of office has just gone out the window openly and completely now... they are openly committing treason toward the American people.
edit on 23-7-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Your posts are always enlighting and funny at the same time. This is nothing new, and we already have this going on right now.

They are called joint committees...

Congress is empowered by the Constitution to deal with the day to day operations of this country, not the President. Congress is responsible for budgeting, not thePresident.

With this being said, I think it will go over like a fart in a dive helmet because of what it deals with. I say during the enxt elections we vote em all out of office and pass a balanced budget amendment. Pull all military back home and close down all foreign bases. End all foriegn aid to countries, quit subsidizing foreign business and governemtns.....

Time to take care of America..... Besides the world is pretty much done with us anyways.

Thre are 2 great ironies in life -
Not getting what you want.....
and geting exactly what you want....

I say we give them what they want.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Thanks for the post now you will give my dad and I something new to talk about... How corrupt the gov't is. I hate how we as Americans keep voting the same liars and thieves into power. They couldn't careless about the people all they care about is the money and power. I really starting to wish I never had a kid so they wouldn't have to grow up in this messed up world. Maybe we will reach a breaking point before its to late to be able to topple these people.
edit on 23-7-2011 by MRF227 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Wow, omg, this would be terrible. I can't believe this is even being considered. What happened to checks and balances, where's the check and balance of power here?

Just because it's both parties doesn't mean squat. The two parties can just get together and "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". This sounds extremely dangerous and WAY TOO MANY backroom deals will be done with this.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I say during the enxt elections we vote em all out of office

Won't happen. Too many idiots out there. Reelection rate in 2008? 92%. Reelection rate in 2010? 89%... and people were ``mad``...

Pull all military back home and close down all foreign bases. End all foreign aid to countries, quit subsidizing foreign business and governments.....

Won't happen either. Too many jobs based on that... and too many ``war families``... all of them will vote against that... not to mention all the ``hate muslims`` and ``all hail Israel`` crowd.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Just another quick thought that came through: Well, when the population (in America) gets too large to control, it's gotta be more "unified/communist" by TPTB and pals.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

S & F

Crazy isnt it - do they stop to think why congress is setup the way it is? Spread the power to minimise corruption doesnt mean anything to these people. Why stop at giving the power to a few, lets just let the president DICTATE what he would like us to do.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz

S & F

Crazy isnt it - do they stop to think why congress is setup the way it is? Spread the power to minimise corruption doesnt mean anything to these people. Why stop at giving the power to a few, lets just let the president DICTATE what he would like us to do.

Based on your response here I dont think you even know how Government is designed to work / setup the way it is.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I think it will happen this election cycle... A lot of incumbents are either declining to run again or have support in the low 30% range.

Currently if the elections were held today, Ron Paul would get 35% and Obama would get about 42% nbased on the recent polls.

Those responses aside, you dodged my other observations that this is not new, and completely within the authority of Congress and the Constitution to do what they are doing.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Those responses aside, you dodged my other observations that this is not new, and completely within the authority of Congress and the Constitution to do what they are doing.

In normal times, ordinary senators/congressmans can add amendments to any bill they want.

Under a Super Congress, they wouldn't be able to.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Which would not be a bad thing. ... A super Congress has the ability to ignore special intrest and lobbyist groups that plague our Congress and allocation process.

These members of the group are still accountible to the American people, can can be voted out of office during their next election cycle.

Trying to get a spending bill through while people attach stupid ass amednments to it... Its like an overloaded Christmas tree... Just when you think your done somebody tries to palce a star on the top, bringing the entire tree down.

This is also the same argument used for candidates for federal posts (judges, departments heads etc). Instead of being able to hold an up or down vote, politics get in the way and we go years without filling a needed seat (specifically federal judges - right now the 9th circuit is so over worked its not even funny, and a vote to form a new fedral circuit has been in limbo for the last 10 years and counting).

The checks nad balances are still present since Congress is within its authority to do this. The President can still veot the measure if he doesnt like it, which would force a redo or congressional attempts at a veto override.

We are being held hostage by special intrest groups....

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Your posts are always enlighting and funny at the same time. This is nothing new, and we already have this going on right now.

They are called joint committees...

Congress is empowered by the Constitution to deal with the day to day operations of this country, not the President. Congress is responsible for budgeting, not thePresident.

With this being said, I think it will go over like a fart in a dive helmet because of what it deals with. I say during the enxt elections we vote em all out of office and pass a balanced budget amendment. Pull all military back home and close down all foreign bases. End all foriegn aid to countries, quit subsidizing foreign business and governemtns.....

Time to take care of America..... Besides the world is pretty much done with us anyways.

Thre are 2 great ironies in life -
Not getting what you want.....
and geting exactly what you want....

I say we give them what they want.

Well Put - Lets Just Call It The "CLEAN HOUSE CAMPAIGN" vote new no matter what!!

I would like to add stop providing CASH FLOW to those countries who OIL JACK the US change the country over to Natural Gas - Do not sell it off on the market either!! - Until they figure out a alternative.

Save Billions of dollars.

Now we need to investigate the JUDICAL BRANCH as most of them should be retired and clearly they are unable to perform there sworn duty to protect the Constitution from Congress and Executive orders. They just turn a blind eye all to often. That's a Fact!

May God Bless America and Her People.
edit on 23-7-2011 by thomas007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
That damn Obama and his Democrats. How can they be even thinking about this.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has made a Super Congress a central part of his last-minute proposal, multiple news reports and people familiar with his plan say. A picture of Boehner's proposal began to come into focus Saturday evening

Oh, right. That is how. Seems like an important quote while we are busy bashing Harry Reid for Boehner's idea.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

No matter how good or bad of an idea it is, its illegal.

This "Super Congress," composed of members of both chambers and both parties, isn't mentioned anywhere in the Constitution, but would be granted extraordinary new powers.

With the weight of both leaderships behind it, a product originated by the Super Congress would have a strong chance of moving through the little Congress and quickly becoming law. A Super Congress would be less accountable than the system that exists today, and would find it easier to strip the public of popular benefits.

Super Congress, the 4th branch of government. Or should we call it the rulling branch?

Super Congress is taking the power out of the people's hands (as delegated to their "representatives") and placing it into the hands of a few before giving it to an authoritarian. Yeah, thats a really bad idea.
edit on 24-7-2011 by Cybermerc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I'm really one of the skeptics on this board, I don't go in for conspiracy theories and such (even though I do find them interesting), but this just smacks of Star Chambers and other sorts of deadly concentrations of power in too few hands.

The Executive and Judicial branches are and always have been designed to vest power in a small number of people, but all of that should and MUST be countered by the much more distributed power of the Legislative branch, which is where laws get made. To effectively put that into the hands of just twelve people is very dangerous. The lesser Congress would eventually devolve into nothing less then a rubber stamp approval body, I think, and so you'd have the entire country being run by just 22 people: the President, 9 Supreme Court justices and the 12 members of the Super Congress. It's a recipe for tyranny.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
This is what you get for electing Tea Party wackos unwilling to compromise even slightly. Hope you learned your lesson.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Happy Birthday to me! It's good to know the death of our Nation occurred on my birthday. Great! Just wonderful. Now they can all just admit it's an oligarchy and our vote is trivial and meaningless and we are only 'allowed' the 'privilege' of voting for the sake of making us feel good.

And most Americans won't say a peep because they don't have the sack to do anything unless someone cuts off their cable and cell phone service.

edit on 24-7-2011 by traderjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Well if they want to make any change like that it should be the people that decide who certainly not those bozos. It is a good way to trash the clown show we have now but should be made up of common people not golden spoon in the mouth morons like we have now. Rich pretty much tells me you either hit the lottery or screwed the working class. Sorry if you think you earned your millions.
Haven`t met any that haven`t screwed the working class over getting there..

And the new what ever you want to call it should be very short term unable to give themselves raises unless the price of living goes up or a quarter a year the way we working class gets ours..

Funny thing is I thought that's what we elected these jerks for making decisions not creating more clowns to make decisions for them. They should just be fired and replaced with normal people without a agenda to getting wealthy. Since they can`t seem to do the job they shouldn`t be paid for it actually that will help them I`m sure.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
What makes them think this new super congress would be any more likely to come up with solutions, and not the grid-lock of the present?

It will be 6 repubs and 6 dems on this committee, how does that offer any solutions?
And who chooses these 12 members of the super congress?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
It's human nature to put wealth into fewer hands. You see it all over the world. There're pockets of temporal protest and denial but the vast majority of humanity is this way unknowingly. Income fits a power law curve. Civilizations tend towards calamity after the rush of youth. We're all greedy bastards beneath our manicured exteriors. Competition for identity through various sources: material assets, strength, intelligence, emotions and caring, abstractions and creativity, etc. We're bound to finite lives and scramble to establish our identity. This competition often breeds conflict. And through one means or another, fewer and fewer gain control of it all.

This song:
www.youtube.com...

Guess what, there's no secret or key to unlock us from our jail cell. There's no infinity here. We will fight until our last breath. We see a universe in front of us, and we strive to build ourselves up and in the direction that we understand and conjure. We find friends along the way who share our views and ambitions. And we callously, stupidly, and unforcibly move forward into this cloud of probability, through no fault of our own. We're as helpless as single celled organisms.

Is there love? Are there good things? Am I being dark and moody? If me telling you that we're all selfish in one way or another bothers you and makes you think I am dark then I am dark. I believe we're selfish because: a) our existence is finite b) we strive for identity c) competition and conflict are inevitably bred from the interpolation of A & B. Right now, that roughly summarizes what I think. If you can kill identity then you can make all humans of one mind, but even if you could achieve that, all of humanity would still be selfish. One single individual might not be, but seen from the standpoint of another species, our selfishness would be obvious even though we may deny it. One half of humanity, it seems, at least, spends most of its time denying reality.

I'm being selfish and indulgent just saying what I'm saying here.
edit on 24-7-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join