It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

possible Volcanic "event" in southern CA?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ergastulum

Precipitation intensity is measured by a ground-based radar that bounces radar waves off of precipitation. The Local Radar base reflectivity product is a display of echo intensity (reflectivity) measured in dBZ (decibels). "Reflectivity" is the amount of transmitted power returned to the radar receiver after hitting precipitation, compared to a reference power density at a distance of 1 meter from the radar antenna. Base reflectivity images are available at several different elevation angles (tilts) of the antenna; the base reflectivity image currently available on this website is from the lowest "tilt" angle (0.5°). The maximum range of the base reflectivity product is 143 miles (230 km) from the radar location. This image will not show echoes that are more distant than 143 miles, even though precipitation may be occurring at these greater distances. To determine if precipitation is occurring at greater distances, link to an adjacent radar. In addition, the radar image will not show echos from precipitation that lies outside the radar's beam, either because the precipitation is too high above the radar, or because it is so close to the Earth's surface that it lies beneath the radar's beam.

Taken from www.wunderground.com...

Basically it's intensity, higher the number the more intense it is. In the first 2 images it's cloud reflectivity, in the third it's rainfall

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

So your saying I can forget the "sky is falling raining hot rocks" scenario and just need my umbrella?

That sucks... was looking forward to some real gloom and doom disaster

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

No I'm not saying that, weather.gov is saying that

I am as dissapointed as yourself that the sky isn't falling today

There's always tomorrow and the day after though as I'm sure Dutchnonsense will come up with another crazy misinformed crackpot idea that people will buy into

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Oh okay then I will just wait for main stream media to let me know

Like the time they told me about that missile launched off California that Phage swears is just an airplane contrail

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Has anyone taken a heat convection reading of that volcanic location? Magma could indeed be near the surface, and as the heated air above that location rises it could be producing that plume of clouds as the arriving low weather front from the cyclone in Mexico hits it!

There may be something to this...

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
thanks Disco.

I'm about two hours away closer to the water, not really sure what to make of it still. Obviously it could be storming there or just atmospheric pressure (something relative, I'm guessing? doesn't necessarily mean it's "raining" from the description) and I wouldn't know it..

It is odd; yesterday, driving eastbound towards work in the afternoon, there was a strange darkness far ahead. Not during dusk but around 12:30, 1:00.. and it simply doesn't do that here in July, as far as storm clouds and such go.

Then again, I've only lived in this bubble of a place for 3 years now.. and it could be something that someone else would throw away and explain..

won't get carried away with this but i'll be listening out

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Ahhh! silly silly... chill out with some HOT LAVA!

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

How about something more educational?

edit on 23-7-2011 by ergastulum because: (no reason given)

the dj is Killing it too

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ergastulum

LOL! Thank you! Quite a catchy little tune, now it will be in my head all night

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
This is a thunder storm blowup.
They happen every summer out here in the desert.

In a couple days they may really be going as moisture from the hurricane off baja moves north and the high pressure dome over Texas moves west.

I live up at China Lake and if it was a Volcanic "event" everyone in southern calif would know about it as the area out there is a major motorcycle riding area with 1000s of people every Friday through Sunday.
People would be posting cell phone images by the 1000s

Even though this is a young volcanic area its cooled and there is not active magma pocket anywhere near it the closest active magma pocket is up at China Lake under the Coso Geothermals

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Would this:

"In May of 1980, a strong earthquake swarm that included four Richter magnitude 6 earthquakes struck the southern margin of Long Valley Caldera associated with a 10 inch (25-cm), dome-shaped uplift of the caldera floor. These events marked the onset of the latest period of caldera unrest that continues to this day. This ongoing unrest includes recurring earthquake swarms and continued dome-shaped uplift of the central section of the caldera (the resurgent dome) accompanied by changes in thermal springs and gas emissions.[1] After the quake another road was created as an escape route. Its name at first was proposed as the "Mammoth Escape Route" but was changed to the Mammoth Scenic Loop after Mammoth area businesses and land owners complained. In 1982, the United States Geological Survey under the Volcano Hazards Program began an intensive effort to monitor and study geologic unrest in Long Valley Caldera. The goal of this effort is to provide residents and civil authorities in the area reliable information on the nature of the potential hazards posed by this unrest and timely warning of an impending volcanic eruption, should it develop.[1] Most, perhaps all, volcanic eruptions are preceded and accompanied by geophysical and geochemical changes in the volcanic system. Common precursory indicators of volcanic activity include increased seismicity, ground deformation, and variations in the nature and rate of gas emissions. "
unquote

Wouldn't this be part of the above system,, and so wouldn't this be expected behaviour ,,ie a quick release of gas,,

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Pilot Warnings now coming up:

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
Southern CA fire

Hopefully, it's just from the fires. A search turned up no mention of an eruption. I was kind of hoping this time, because I really don't want to go to Disneyland next week.
edit on 23-7-2011 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

Rancho Bernardo is in San Diego. Nowhere near Barstow. We drive out past Barstow to Havasu all the time. There are lava rock fields that are endless along the highway. I've always wondered where the volcano is that created such a wide area of lava. It's really amazing to see black lava rock along the highway for 10's to a 100 miles stretch.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Ok,I will be nice and not say all the stuff I want to say about dutch.
He is referring to turbulence warnings for a storm.
It happens all the time.
No big deal.
Here is the site he is using as a reference
aviationweather.gov...

Her is the advisories for volcanic activity.
www.ssd.noaa.gov...

This is what it would look like if it was true.
www.osei.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Ok, just did a quick read over all the posts. I can't believe no one has mentioned all the lava that is out exactly where this guy is saying a plume showed up.

Guess none of the the Havasu rats are members here or are at the lake having a grand time. Anyone that drives the 40 to Arizona knows that area is full of lava rock. I just figured there was an ancient and extinct volcano somewhere in those hills.

There could be a volcano waking up out of the blue, just like in Kenya.

ETA: and Chile, and Indonesia and Italy and Iceland and Alaska and, and.....

edit on 23-7-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

There could be a volcano waking up out of the blue, just like in Kenya.

Or there can just be a storm and fire brewing in the area.

As stated and proven in the other posts above....I know it sucks. I was a little excited at first. I told the girlfriend and it turns out to be a false alarm from some dummy on youtube.

edit on 23-7-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Don't think it was proven it was weather yet.

I'll wait a bit longer on this. That area has two volcanos aparently. Laviic Lake and Amboy Volcanos. The map on this link shows the two volcanos and an earthquake not too far off.
hisz.rsoe.hu...

edit on 23-7-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
Would this:

"In May of 1980, a strong earthquake swarm that included four Richter magnitude 6 earthquakes struck the southern margin of Long Valley Caldera associated with a 10 inch (25-cm), dome-shaped uplift of the caldera floor. These events marked the onset of the latest period of caldera unrest that continues to this day. This ongoing unrest includes recurring earthquake swarms and continued dome-shaped uplift of the central section of the caldera (the resurgent dome) accompanied by changes in thermal springs and gas emissions.[1] After the quake another road was created as an escape route. Its name at first was proposed as the "Mammoth Escape Route" but was changed to the Mammoth Scenic Loop after Mammoth area businesses and land owners complained. In 1982, the United States Geological Survey under the Volcano Hazards Program began an intensive effort to monitor and study geologic unrest in Long Valley Caldera. The goal of this effort is to provide residents and civil authorities in the area reliable information on the nature of the potential hazards posed by this unrest and timely warning of an impending volcanic eruption, should it develop.[1] Most, perhaps all, volcanic eruptions are preceded and accompanied by geophysical and geochemical changes in the volcanic system. Common precursory indicators of volcanic activity include increased seismicity, ground deformation, and variations in the nature and rate of gas emissions. "
unquote

Wouldn't this be part of the above system,, and so wouldn't this be expected behaviour ,,ie a quick release of gas,,

No, Barstow is nowhere near Mammoth Lakes, and has nothing to do with the Long Valley Caldera

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Somethings going on indeed around there and its not rain clouds.
Another thing i posted a few weeks back of rumbling noises in the Los Angeles area.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Starting to put two and two together.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamfox1
Somethings going on indeed around there and its not rain clouds.
Another thing i posted a few weeks back of rumbling noises in the Los Angeles area.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Starting to put two and two together.

It's the Eagle fire imho.

On page one I linked to the .gov website that shows the maps and you can google the Eagle fire it's currently raging in that area.

Here is a local news report

Plus we have other locals reporting seeing smoke yesterday. (Not ash fallout)

The information I supplied reports the fire is currently 30% contained, as of 3hours ago update.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join