It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Thread About Nothing In Particular

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
It's Friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiday and I am feelin' good!

That is all, just want to share some positive vibes.

That's good enough.

Originally posted by silent thunder
For some reason I was thinking back to being a teeager today. I ran away from home with a young woman when I was quite young myself and my father was so furious he wouldn't let me return, ever. I never saw home again. It was fine by me at the time, and with her too, she was from a bad family situation and couldn't wait to get away. We married as young as two people are allowed to marry. What a freaky thing, it could have potentially been a disaster in so many ways but we really loved each other fiercely and we had a universe of two. We drifted around the country together for a few years, I was mostly working in light manufacturing, day jobs in construction or whatever gruntwork was available, and then security. She would do waitressing, call centers, whatever the heck ever. We were both a kind of religious fanatics although it could be said we crafted our own theology together. It didn't last more than three years, which perhaps was not surprising considering our poverty and youth. After that I left the USA for my first big chance at serious work and never looked back, but that's another story for another day maybe.

That sounds a bit similar to my wife and I.. She did the same work yours did as she followed me around the country from radio station to radio station to TV station to newspapers. Regardless of what some may think, unless you're a big time "face" on the evening news, reporters aren't paid a whole lot. We've never been what one would call "rich" or even well off, but we've managed to get by, paycheck to paycheck.

On another note, I'd like to state that I love to fish. I love to eat fish. But I HATE cleaning fish.

It's all I can do not to gag.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
IT CAME, IT CAME!!!

I have a weakness for good Scotch, specifically Single Malt Speyside. I'm on vaca ATM, far away from a liquor store that will normally carry it, so when I got here I asked them to order some for me and it just came in today.

YAY ME!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm going to sing you a little ditty, to the tune of "Anticipation," the old Carly Simon (and ketchup commercial) tune.

Fruuuuustration,
Fruuuuustra-a-tion,
I'm BANGIN' MY HEAD.
So hard I might soon be dead.

It irks me to no end that certain individuals have information that will save lives yet they are unwilling to spill the beans. Some people are just cold-hearted bastards (or outright frauds.)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
The next time I do karaoke, I'm going to sing "Blood Pollution" by Steel Dragon.

Yeah, I know they aren't a real band, but the song kicks ass anyway.

Right after I saw the movie I went on line and downloaded all of the Steel Dragon tunes

Great movie, good tunes!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl

The next time I do karaoke, I'm going to sing "Blood Pollution" by Steel Dragon.

Right after I saw the movie I went on line and downloaded all of the Steel Dragon tunes

Great movie, good tunes!

I fell in love with Jennifer Aniston after watching that movie. She's just so damn beautiful! I have to wonder why she's been so unlucky in love.
Of course beauty isn't everything; in private, she may be koo-koo for CoCo Puffs.

I love "old" classic metal. Black Sabbath, Scorpions, Ratt, Guns & Roses, etc. I don't care for "death metal" or "speed metal" at all though. My big thing is being able to understand the lyrics in a song that features on key singing.

Contemporary bands I like to listen to in the "metal" or "hard rock" genre are Korn, Saliva, Disturbed, Limp Bizkit, etc.

People have asked me, "How do you justify using salty language when you claim to be a Christian?" The answer to that is fairly simple: One thing I NEVER do is take the Lord's name in vain. Any other words that are considered offensive are merely cultural preferences. I say bullsnip (self censored) and other such words every now and then, but when it comes to references to God like "*** dammit" I do my best to watch my mouth, and I don't tolerate things like that said in my presence either.

On another note, my kids have just informed me that they would like to go camping at the beach tonight. Sounds like fun!

CYA ya'll laters!
edit on 8/1/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skorpiogurl

Great movie, good tunes!

I fell in love with Jennifer Aniston after watching that movie. She's just so damn beautiful! I have to wonder why she's been so unlucky in love.
Of course beauty isn't everything; in private, she may be koo-koo for CoCo Puffs.

I love "old" classic metal. Black Sabbath, Scorpions, Ratt, Guns & Roses, etc. I don't care for "death metal" or "speed metal" at all though. My big thing is being able to understand the lyrics in a song that features on key singing.

Contemporary bands I like to listen to in the "metal" or "hard rock" genre are Korn, Saliva, Disturbed, Limp Bizkit, etc.

People have asked me, "How do you justify using salty language when you claim to be a Christian?" The answer to that is fairly simple: One thing I NEVER do is take the Lord's name in vain. Any other words that are considered offensive are merely cultural preferences. I say bullsnip (self censored) and other such words every now and then, but when it comes to references to God like "*** dammit" I do my best to watch my mouth, and I don't tolerate things like that said in my presence either.

On another note, my kids have just informed me that they would like to go camping at the beach tonight. Sounds like fun!

CYA ya'll laters!

Love it!

I'm into metal too and I also like death and speed metal. I know what you mean about the lyrics but many times for me it's the beat of the music or the tempo, rythm, groove... whatever you want to call it. Especially with metal, it just puts me in a zone and I find it relaxing. Of course my friends think I'm crazy but oh well

Speaking of bad language... One of my best friends is Seventh Day Adventist and she is completely against using bad language and/or curse words where God is concerned. I mean, sure, she'll drop and F bomb now and then but she can't and won't tollerate anyone taking the lords name in vain. Neither can I for that matter. She kind of laughs at me because I basically speak to God like he's a friend of mine... not so formal, not so serious and with a sense of humor. The way I see it is, God made me, He knows who I am and what I'm about and he accepts me so why would I pretend to be something different than I am? Not that I swear at God, I don't, but sometimes if I'm frustrated or angry I'll use bad words in my conversation with God. But you know what? That's part of the reason he's there, so I can turn to him when I need too and you know what else? God "gets" me even when no one else does

Back to music... I love KoRn, I love Jonathan Davis, they have been my favorite band since their first self titled release "Blind". I've seen them hundreds of times in small local clubs in and around the city. His music speaks to me.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

I know what you mean about talking to God. As far as I'm concerned He's my Father and I just talk to him all of the time. I've been dealing with a few issues lately that can get overwhelming at times, and the other day when I went fishing alone I talked to God for about half an hour, laughing and even crying my way through the one-sided conversation. God already knows everything we have in our heart, so I figure I might as well be honest with Him in the way I pray too.

When I get pissed at how unfair the world is, and how innocents are made to suffer, I tell God exactly how I feel. I'm not sure it's doing much good, but I feel better having brought my problems - and the world's problems - to Him anyway.

So yeah, we went camping. I took my two sons and my elder son's girlfriend to the beach at the lake for an overnight camping and fishing trip. It was really a last minute thing, but we got the van packed up in about an hour with our tents, chairs, fishing gear, pillows, inflatable mattresses, and of course coolers with beverages, dinner, and breakfast.

We hadn't been to this particular spot for about ten years and we didn't get there until just after sunset, so we picked a campsite and set up in the beams of my headlights, oblivious to what lay on the other side of the dunes. After we got the tents set up and the fire going we had hot dogs, chips, and various camp snacks for dinner. For dessert, we took a walk through the tall grass at the water's edge and looked up in the sky at the most brilliant display of the universe I have ever beheld with my naked eyes.

The Milky Way stretched from one horizon to the other, and the individual stars were so bright one could read a newspaper by them. We were far removed from any city lights, and there was no moon to speak of, so the stars appeared even brighter than normal. It was absolutely beautiful and awe inspiring.

After we return to the campsite I plug my air compressor into the cigarette lighter so I can blow up the 6in thick queen size mattress my younger son and I would share. I have an AC adapter in the car that I use to charge my laptop and cameras with all of the time, so I figured I'd have no problem. Boy was I wrong. It seems the pump draws too many amps or something because the circuit breaker in the adapter kept tripping and it wouldn't run. So, nothing between me and the cold, hard ground but a sleeping bag. My back is still killing me.

But it was worth it. I love spending quality time with my kids. Going camping with them was actually my wife's idea. To be honest, I think she just wanted everyone out of the house so she could play Pac Man on the XBox, nap, and chill for 24 hours alone.

And today was our 20th wedding anniversary.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Well that's what God is there for imo, so you can talk and rant and cry and share whatever you want too.. and yeah, it makes you feel better after having done so, so... it's doing some good

As far as good people suffering. This will sound cliche but, without suffering there would be no compassion.

I only like camping if it involves a hotel with room service! hahaha. I'm a nature person, camping not so much but hiking, fishing (I love to fish), anything outside works. I am jealous, what a beautiful thing that must have been to see the Mily Way like that. I hope someday I get the chance to see that. I live in an area that's real good for star-gazing, middle of nowhere, not a lot of lights. But not much to see other than the moon and stars. They sky in my area just isn't big enough and I'm not close enough... I'm somewhat sea level.

I have family in Utah. My husband and I went out there last September for a couple of weeks. Amazing mountains and nature, but not like the nature that I am used too. Just wild and unforgiving nature. We did a lot of hiking which was awesome since I'm not used being so much higher above sea level. Big sky, bright stars.

I wanted to take a six hour drive out to the desert and sleep out there under the stars. But my husband said no way, he thought it was a crazy idea. In fact, his exact words were: "That's how people get killed and go missing." Hmmmmm.... while he does have a healthy sense of adventure, my sense of adventure is a little bit crazier I guess.

We go up to North Conway, NH a few times a year. Up around Mt. Washington. I love it there and so do my Sibe's. I love hiking with them in the mountains and seeing their natural instinct come out. They are good trackers and have an amazing sense of awareness. They truly pick up on energies. In fact, I typically judge new people by how my dogs react to them. I figure if my dogs trust them, so can I.

I think this year I am going to try fly fishing

But I won't ever go white water rafting or put myself in any situation where drowning is a possibility. I swim good and love going in the ocean, etc. But for some reason, since I was a kid, I have always had recurring dreams/nightmares that have to do with giant waves sucking me out into the ocean. So I'll take that as a sign and steer clear!

And yes, I am sure you wife enjoyed having a break and having the house all to herself!

I am thinking about taking flying lessons. I live near a local airport. I've always wanted to learn how to fly but I hear the books/studies are really hard. But I'm good with math, logistics, all that so... I think I'll give it a try this Fall.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

You sound just like my wife when it comes to your requirements for camping. Her idea of "roughing it" consists of camping in a motor home complete with a gas stove, a microwave, bathroom and shower inside. Something like this:

We even had one a few years ago, albeit a bit smaller at only 24 feet; but we sold it because it really isn't practical at all, especially in a SHTF situation. Now we have four tents: two 6X8's designed for 2 people apiece, a 10X13 for 6 people, and a 16X10.5 that will sleep 6-7. I bought gas grills designed for camping, and a 15X20 screened in canopy in which to prepare the meals and eat (this was a concession to my wife who hates bugs, and the thought that they might find their way into the scrambled eggs.

I think sometimes she forgets how much fun we had when, as a young family, we spent an entire month on the beach - in tents. I just happen to have a couple of pics from that trip. Pardon my camping jammies.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5be15d55da1b.jpg[/atsimg]

My two boys, Colin and Adam, when they were just little. I'd give anything to turn back time and return to those days.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0ff49c1fa71c.jpg[/atsimg]
Colin, above, is about to be 19 now, and he's almost as tall as I am.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1fe7ba7ba849.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm going to have to show this picture to my youngest boy Adam. When we were camping the other night, I reminded him of his pal Little Bear, but he claims to have no recollection of it. He would carry Little Bear with him EVERYWHERE (I think he's in a crate of memories around here somewhere. Shhhh, don't tell my wife; I keep stupid stuff like this when she's all about throwing it away or giving it to the Salvation Army. I even have MY teddy bear.
)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cf67871d29b0.jpg[/atsimg]

I am Grampa: Keeper of memories and provider of ice cream; a sappy, crusty old Jarhead who lives for one thing and one thing only - his family.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

IT CAME, IT CAME!!!

I have a weakness for good Scotch, specifically Single Malt Speyside. I'm on vaca ATM, far away from a liquor store that will normally carry it, so when I got here I asked them to order some for me and it just came in today.

YAY ME!

nice! one of the best things about being alive is a good single malt. savor the flavor my friend, and enjoy every drop.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries

IT CAME, IT CAME!!!

YAY ME!

nice! one of the best things about being alive is a good single malt. savor the flavor my friend, and enjoy every drop.

I have to admit: I'm a greedy S.O.B.

I killed the bottle this evening, and I NEVER SHARED A DROP!

I tried to explain the difference between a Highland and a Speyside to my son tonight; but he just doesn't get it (or doesn't care.) On his 18th birthday, I bought an 18-year-old bottle of Glenlivet to celebrate. I poured him a shot to toast the fact that he was now a "man," and we both partook.

Then he promptly heaved his guts over the porch deck railing.

I guess it takes some getting used to.

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The most frightening sound in the world: Multiple sirens 10 minutes after your son took the car to go to the corner store. Maybe I'm just a worry wart.

On a positive note, I have a job interview tonight at a local nightclub. I'm mostly retired, making cash writing, videotaping weddings and birthday parties, and the occasional gig in a club; but this job is for four+ nights a week @ $25 an hour. Not a bad chunk of change for doing what I love most: Making the people dance!

Wish me luck.

edit on 8/12/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/12/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I got the job! Yay me.

Now, is there a doctor in the house? Four days ago I was standing in my kitchen when all of a sudden my hands went numb; not the whole hand mind you, just the heel of the hand, along with the pinky, ring, and middle fingers. I thought my hands had fallen asleep for some reason, which was odd because they were just hanging at my sides at the time. I wasn't doing anything in particular, just making a sandwich.

As I said, it's been four days now and they haven't gotten any better. I know, I know, I should go see a doctor; but I don't feel like spending God knows how much money for a bunch of tests when it could be something very simple. Anyone have an idea as to what might have caused this?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I'm tired. 6 hours of rockin' the club has done me in. I don't even have the strength to new read threads or post in old ones.

Getting old sux.

Nighty.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I got the job! Yay me.

Now, is there a doctor in the house? Four days ago I was standing in my kitchen when all of a sudden my hands went numb; not the whole hand mind you, just the heel of the hand, along with the pinky, ring, and middle fingers. I thought my hands had fallen asleep for some reason, which was odd because they were just hanging at my sides at the time. I wasn't doing anything in particular, just making a sandwich.

As I said, it's been four days now and they haven't gotten any better. I know, I know, I should go see a doctor; but I don't feel like spending God knows how much money for a bunch of tests when it could be something very simple. Anyone have an idea as to what might have caused this?

Howdy O.C. and congrats on getting the gig. OC i gotta tell you i am concerned about the numb hands thing. i'm hoping you have done some research online and checked into this. four days of numbness would send me to my local general practicioner, but that's me.

i'm wondering what you may have done the day, 2 days before this numbness occurred that may have brought it on. were you engaging in a strenuous activity that you don't usually partake in? maybe chopping wood for a few hours, or some chore like that?

i wish i had an answer for you. meanwhile i'll hope for the best and look forward to your next post.

PS: re, you mentioned you like Metal. a friend turned me on to Rise Against, they are pretty decent. a different online buddy turned me on to a more mellow band, but man these guys are such wonderful musicians i have to mention them: Elbow. the song that introduced me to them is 'Grounds for Divorce'. i love that band; it is always a treat to hear real music.

take care OC!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
If there's anything you want to hear, just tell The Wiz what it is, and I'll fix it in the mix. I'll put the bass in your face, and make your body dance!

Let's kick this set off with some retro funk.

As soon as I can figure out how, I'm going to start streaming my club performances. That'll be cool.
edit on 8/26/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Time to get funky now...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join