It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Thread About Nothing In Particular

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Hey everybody, for those who don't already know, I'm O.C.

One of the things I've enjoyed about the internet is making friends. In between the various sites where I've posted, I have made friends with folks in Finland, Germany, Holland, Canada, Israel, Iran, Iraq, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Malta, Japan, and in many of the Sovereign States that make up the U.S. Our relationships have moved beyond interacting on any particular site into the realm of exchanging emails, telephone numbers, and even addresses; gifts have been exchanged across this great land and even across the oceans which separate us. I consider these people my extended family, which sometimes comes with all the ugly of real-life familial relationships, but has nearly always been worth it.

One of the means by which we got to know each other so well was by letting each other know a bit about ourselves in UNSTRUCTURED, free-wheeling threads - under different names on different sites - about nothing in particular. One thread I'm thinking of has had over 50,000 posts, and is by far the most popular on that site. Please allow me to give examples:

"My kid got a three day in-school suspension for bringing Tylenol to school today."

"My wife is a Harpy."

"My husband NEVER puts the lid down on the toilet seat!
"

"It was my granddaughter's birthday today. Nothing beats the sound of a gigging little girl who yells, 'Grampa brought ice cream!' and then pulls you over to the side, wraps her arms around you and whispers, 'I love you grampa.'"

"Does anyone know where I can report elder abuse?"

"My mom died today."

"Nobody knows this, but I've been very ill for a very long time. I've tried as hard as I could to put on a tough face and make it look like everything in my world is just peachy, when in fact, struggling not to scream from the pain takes conscious effort 24/7. It won't be much longer now. It's been nice knowing you."

"I'm so in love with Russell. I hope Katy Perry gets a gigantic cold sore."

So basically, this thread is a 21st Century gossip fence and general store. It's a place to come when you just have to say something about something, but don't feel like it is thread-worthy in its own right. The examples above were inspired by real posts I've seen since becoming addicted to the internet with my TRS-80, which was hooked up to my TV, and powered by Compuserve. I'll admit that the "Grampa has ice cream" post belongs to me.

By looking into each other's lives, I think we become a stronger community, both as ATSers, and citizens of the world. One of the friends I spoke about earlier is my polar opposite: He is a vehement Atheist and "anti-Zionist," but putting religion and politics aside, we have a lot in common; enough to ensure a quality friendship. I have several friends that would fall into that category now that I come to think about it. I've never been ashamed of my faith in Jesus Christ, but I don't push my beliefs on other people either, nor do I condemn them and tell them they are "going to Hell," so we can agree to disagree on that. I still get ribbed for believing in a "Magical Jewish Zombie;" but I fire back with, "You know what? When we meet in Heaven, I'm going to say 'I told you so' every day for the next ten thousand years."

This attitude has earned me a few friends who practice Islam, Judaism, Wicca, and many who claim no religion at all. I have a few gay and lesbian friends as well: Some of my Christian friends have said, "But OldCorp, the Bible says gays are an abomination before the Lord. They MUST be held to account." To which I reply, "If they are to be held to account by anyone, it's God; not me. The Bible also says 'Judge not lest ye be judged,' and 'Before you remove the splinter from the eye of another, you must first remove the plank from your own.'"

Speaking only for myself, I don't condemn anyone who has a different worldview than I, or practices things I don't even want to think about in the bedroom. As far as I'm concerned, we are all brothers and sisters - regardless of the religion you practice (or don't,) your political views, or who you choose to love - and it is not my place to judge anyone, that is our Heavenly Father's job.

Nobody believes all of the same things other folks do; but there are many, many things that are common to the human experience which we all share - lazy husbands, nagging wives, pushy partners, nosy neighbors, raising children, struggling to adapt to a society that is in a constant state of flux, worry over finances or health - and which bind us all together. And sometimes, I think it helps to be reminded of the fact that we are NOT alone, that others share the same hopes and fears as we do; hopes and fears common to every man and woman, that cut across cultural gaps.

I don't expect for folks to just start posting their entire life histories, complete with phone numbers and addresses. Not only is that just silly, but it is also against the T&C of ATS. However, I do hope that by sharing personal experiences, stories of your Redneck uncle whose last words were, "Hey ya'll watch thi..." or just some random thought like "I LOVE PUDDING!" we can get to know one another just a little bit better aside from politics, religion, belief or disbelief in UFOs and TPTB, and my personal favorite: TEOTWAWKI.

It is my long standing opinion that people are more likely to at least listen to those they feel "friendly" with when presented with a new POV which challenges their worldview, and much less likely to actually come to blows over little things like a difference of opinion. And that's where it all begins my friends - WORLD PEACE - one post at a time.

I guess I'll kick this off by telling you something about me:

I'm 47 years old, and in ten days I will have been happily married to a wonderful woman for twenty years (not counting 2+ years spent "living in sin."
) I have three children, two step-children, and three grandchildren. I have to tell you that being a grandfather at a relatively young age is just awesome, because I'm not too old to actually play with them. Other than my wife saying, "I do" nearly 20 years ago, the best thing I've ever heard was the quote I claimed above when one of my granddaughters came up and hugged me tightly; she looked up at me and whispered, "I love you grampa."

I don't mind saying that this tough old Jarhead had tears of joy running down his face. When it comes to my family, my children, and my children's children, I've been truly blessed. I could die tomorrow, look back on my life, and feel a tremendous sense of satisfaction.

So what random thing happened to you today?

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Dear OldCorp,

I gave you a star, love your sentiment and post, just top notch. As for a random thing that happened to me today, hmmm. So many to choose from. Tomorrow is supposed to be my day off. All of my work was covered and I was looking forward to taking on some personal business. Nope, at the last minute I was given three very important reports to review and have a response to by Monday. I had never seen any of them before and had not been involved in any of the issues or investigations. I forgot, I am salaried so I get to do it all for free, as I tell people being salaried means that I can work all I want and never worry about being paid for it. LOL. True story.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Oh yeah. I love to hunt and fish!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/edf762de3b29.jpg[/atsimg]

I caught that bad boy two weeks ago. Earlier in the day I had hooked a catfish that weighed 20lbs if he weighed an ounce. It too bad he snapped my line just as I was getting ready to net him. The taxidermy man woulda had a heart attack when he saw what I brung him.

*One million internets to the first person who recognizes the last sentence above.
edit on 7/22/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by OldCorp

Dear OldCorp,

I gave you a star, love your sentiment and post, just top notch. As for a random thing that happened to me today, hmmm. So many to choose from. Tomorrow is supposed to be my day off. All of my work was covered and I was looking forward to taking on some personal business. Nope, at the last minute I was given three very important reports to review and have a response to by Monday. I had never seen any of them before and had not been involved in any of the issues or investigations. I forgot, I am salaried so I get to do it all for free, as I tell people being salaried means that I can work all I want and never worry about being paid for it. LOL. True story.

And a star right back for being the first besides me to post.

Can you take your work to the beach on a laptop? I can't tell you how many stories I've finished (I'm a journalist) on deadline by working poolside with my laptop, writing while simultaneously watching the girls whose bikinis seem to get smaller every year, or while having lunch at Hooters.

And what's up with thongs? They CAN'T be comfortable! I've spent the last 47 years pulling fabric OUT of my butt crack; I can't imagine wearing something like that on purpose.

Women... I love them, but they are strange creatures.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

The taxidermy man woulda had a heart attack when he saw what I brung him.

If i am not mistaken it is from jaws

edit on 22-7-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

OldCorp I like your OPs and appreciate that you have confidence to share in your sidebar where you are, what you look like, and in your posts, where you are coming from. You look like a friendly person that would be a good neighbor but not a PITA.

I'm at the point where I no longer panic at things posted on the internet or on TV. Awake, aware and taking steps in case of emergency, but real tired of 'the sky is falling!' mentality one can slip into. There are way too many people spending days worried about things that never come to pass.

I've realized that most things are so far out of my grasp there isn't a thing I can do about it, but I Can control how I react to it.

I'm overweight but I've lost 37LBS over the past weeks. It's a start. I finally realized I'm making myself sick eating junk foods, fast food and snack foods. Things I've read on ATS helped me to wake up.

There is more I want to share but I'll do so in future posts. You all be good and take of yourself and each other.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It's Captain Quinn(t) from "Jaws". Your wife and family are lucky people!

Oh Shoot!!! I missed it!
edit on 22-7-2011 by jdb51 because: time jumped ahead!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979

The taxidermy man woulda had a heart attack when he saw what I brung him.

If i am not mistaken it is from jaws

edit on 22-7-2011 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

You are right! AQuestion U2U'd the correct response before you did though. So since I'm feeling generous, ONE MILLION internets for each of you! Consider this post an IOU for the day when the IMF establishes a currency value for individual internets.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Dear OldCorp,

I have hard copies of the reports, I am old school and like to work with paper. I can read them anywhere and will do so in the comfort of my little apartment while listening to 70s and 80s rock and perhaps some jazz. I don't really mind working on my days off, I have done it for so long that I don't even think about it. That is what I expect from salaried people and I work for the government. I don't ask people who work for me how much time they spent or what it costs, I ask if they solved the problem (the ones that work for me are salaried also).

As for pretty ladies, oooh, I live where there are plenty, young want to be actresses everywhere I go. To be around them is too distracting if I am to review and write. Similar to you, I write for a living; but, I write business documents, very droll stuff. On the side I have a blog (I have never posted it's address anywhere on ATS and will not). My blog is about just writing, just enjoying talking about stuff, whatever hits my mind. Writing frees me and allows me to examine my own thoughts better. Perhaps you understand where I am coming from as you are a writer. Be well.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
reply to post by OldCorp

OldCorp I like your OPs and appreciate that you have confidence to share in your sidebar where you are, what you look like, and in your posts, where you are coming from. You look like a friendly person that would be a good neighbor but not a PITA.

I'm at the point where I no longer panic at things posted on the internet or on TV. Awake, aware and taking steps in case of emergency, but real tired of 'the sky is falling!' mentality one can slip into. There are way too many people spending days worried about things that never come to pass.

I've realized that most things are so far out of my grasp there isn't a thing I can do about it, but I Can control how I react to it.

I'm overweight but I've lost 37LBS over the past weeks. It's a start. I finally realized I'm making myself sick eating junk foods, fast food and snack foods. Things I've read on ATS helped me to wake up.

There is more I want to share but I'll do so in future posts. You all be good and take of yourself and each other.

Thank you for the kind words. :d

What is a PITA?

Good for you losing the poundage! I know it's not easy. I like chicken wings & beer; in fact there was a time in my late 20's when I would go to happy hour at the local wing shack (one I'm sure NewCovenant has been to) for 10 cent wings and $3 pitchers at least 3 days a week. After about 6 months I was getting close to 300 lbs.

I've never been a small guy. I stand six feet, have a 48-inch chest, and a 34-inch waist - now; but back then the "chicken wing pounds" just made me fat with a 44-inch waist. I lost the pounds after looking at myself in the mirror one day. I just said "Enough." By the time I met my wife, I was back down to a 36-inch waist; but then over the years the pounds started to creep back on. I swore I was going to get back to fighting weight one day and stay there. I was so confident that I would achieve this goal that I kept all of my size 36 Levi 501's - for 15 years.

My wife kept on teasing me, saying, "You'll never be a 36 again. Why don't you let me put those jeans on the garage sale?" "No way baby!" I replied. "One of these days, I'm going to get back into the same shape I was when we met." And a few months ago, I did it. I put on the sacred 501s and went into the living room to confront my wife.

"Do you remember what it was about me that attracted you to me in the first place?" I asked, already knowing the answer. "You had a great ass!" my wife replied. "Had?" I said. "I'll have you know that this is the very pair of blue jeans that I was wearing on the day we met! so what do you think now?"

"You've still got a great ass!"

Only in the past month, I've dropped another pant size down to a 34, and my wife says I'm starting to look TOO skinny.
I think she's just jealous because I can lose weight without really trying.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

reply to post by OldCorp

Dear OldCorp,

I have hard copies of the reports, I am old school and like to work with paper. I can read them anywhere and will do so in the comfort of my little apartment while listening to 70s and 80s rock and perhaps some jazz. I don't really mind working on my days off, I have done it for so long that I don't even think about it. That is what I expect from salaried people and I work for the government. I don't ask people who work for me how much time they spent or what it costs, I ask if they solved the problem (the ones that work for me are salaried also).

As for pretty ladies, oooh, I live where there are plenty, young want to be actresses everywhere I go. To be around them is too distracting if I am to review and write. Similar to you, I write for a living; but, I write business documents, very droll stuff. On the side I have a blog (I have never posted it's address anywhere on ATS and will not). My blog is about just writing, just enjoying talking about stuff, whatever hits my mind. Writing frees me and allows me to examine my own thoughts better. Perhaps you understand where I am coming from as you are a writer. Be well.

I know exactly what you mean, because I love to write. I love to tell stories about strange and/or interesting things that have happened to me, or that I've read somewhere; and conversely, I love to listen to the stories of other people as well. I'm even halfway through my very own "Great American Novel," a horror story similar in style to my favorite author Steven King.

I think this is one reason I spend so much of my free time online, even taking my laptop with me just about everywhere I go. All I can say is "Thank God for WiFi hotspots." My wife and kids are beginning to wonder if the laptop hasn't in fact been surgically attached to me. I'm anxiously awaiting the day when my internet can be run intravenously, with a heads-up display on the inside of my sunglasses.

I like to share my opinion on ATS and, sometimes, elsewhere; but I especially like to hear the opinions of others, on a wide variety of subjects. I have a well-rounded knowledge base (those who know me refuse to play Trivial Pursuit with me because I kill them every time,) but I wouldn't dare call myself an expert in any particular area of study. I have never stopped, or wanted to stop, learning. I'm an information sponge, a breaking news junkie, and the knowledge I've gained through my interaction with others on the internet has been invaluable to me.

I am especially glad that I found ATS. Regardless of what particular beliefs the various members hold I learn something new every day, things that I don't think I could have learned anywhere else. The membership here is by far the most intelligent of any site of which I have ever been a member.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Hi, Oldcorp. A very nice thread you created.

Random thoughts: My youngest granddaughter brings tears to my eyes, too, when she hugs me and says, "I love you Papaw". When she says that, she sounds like she really means it because of the enthusiasm in her voice.

I, too, have made friends via the internet from across the U.S. and from across the world.

I've been to Israel to visit with a woman and her family. I met her in an art forum online. And she has been to visit us twice, so far. We have collaborated on two different art projects. And thanks to her, my art is starting to be accepted in Israel. Wooohoooooo!!! And, we are close to becoming the subject of a documentary. How cool is that?

I meet people sometimes who, after learning my name say things like, "Ohhhhhhh, you're HIM! I saw some of your art. I love it!" Now, if I had, say, 100 dollars for everytime I've heard that, I wouldn't weigh 170 pounds, I'd still weigh 230 pounds. LOL LOL

I live where I love to live, out in "the country" at what I call Heathencrest Acres, because my grown children, who have all lived with me from time to time when things have gotten rough for them, are, 1, an athiest, 2 a Wiccan and 3 a budding Buddhist..

I'm a disabled veteran. My nearest neighbor used to be a faith healer, but he's retired. So he can't heal me.

Nice to meet you, Oldcorp.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Dear OldCorp,

I knew I liked you. LOL. I am a devout Christian and understand that words spoken (presented to others) are very powerful because they allow us to see our own thoughts in a new way, to be criticized, to undergo scrutiny. The thoughts that are the most dangerous are those that are never shared. A pastor of mine, long ago, once said that he had heard from many adulterers and that they all said that it started with a harmless lunch or dinner where something happened and the adulterer never told spouse because they knew the feelings they had were guilty, not of act; but of intent. Adultery begins wish secrecy, with not speaking, with hiding. Writing frees me from my guilt, it frees me to be true and I am true in person; but, more open in writing and that is why I love it. I do hope my words resonate with you and are on topic. Be well.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
reply to post by OldCorp

Hi, Oldcorp. A very nice thread you created.

Random thoughts: My youngest granddaughter brings tears to my eyes, too, when she hugs me and says, "I love you Papaw". When she says that, she sounds like she really means it because of the enthusiasm in her voice.

I, too, have made friends via the internet from across the U.S. and from across the world.

I've been to Israel to visit with a woman and her family. I met her in an art forum online. And she has been to visit us twice, so far. We have collaborated on two different art projects. And thanks to her, my art is starting to be accepted in Israel. Wooohoooooo!!! And, we are close to becoming the subject of a documentary. How cool is that?

That is EXTREMELY cool. One of my Israeli friends has a blog, "Thoughts from an Israeli Girl," which is popular both in Israel and the US. After my story on the Mavi Marmara last year (the "Freedom Flotilla") Danny Ayalon, the Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister started following my tweets; she was SO JEALOUS!

The internet is also a wonderful tool for rekindling old friendships. The first "celebrity" I ever interviewed was Arlo Guthrie of "Alice's Restraunt" fame. We hit it off right away and exchanged letters for a while afterwards but eventually fell out of touch - until the advent of Myspace. We reconnected about 8 years ago.

I really like Arlo. He's as genuine a human being as you would ever hope to meet.

I meet people sometimes who, after learning my name say things like, "Ohhhhhhh, you're HIM! I saw some of your art. I love it!" Now, if I had, say, 100 dollars for everytime I've heard that, I wouldn't weigh 170 pounds, I'd still weigh 230 pounds. LOL LOL

I live where I love to live, out in "the country" at what I call Heathencrest Acres, because my grown children, who have all lived with me from time to time when things have gotten rough for them, are, 1, an athiest, 2 a Wiccan and 3 a budding Buddhist..

I'm a disabled veteran. My nearest neighbor used to be a faith healer, but he's retired. So he can't heal me.

Nice to meet you, Oldcorp.

I'd love to see your art! If you aren't comfortable sharing a link to it publicly, please U2U it to me. I give you my word that it will remain between you and I.

As far as living out in the country, I'm with ya brother! I wouldn't have it any other way. Here's what Spring looks like at OC's crib:

We have a lot of fun at my house in the summer. Yes, those were my granddaughters vying for grampa's attention.
And yes that was me playing drums when my friends came over for a cookout and brought their guitars & amps. We jammed all day in 100 degree heat, pausing only to jump in the pool to cool off.

And then, there is my garden:

When I'm tending my garden, I feel really close to God for some reason. I can't explain it, but there truly is something spiritual about digging in the dirt, planting seed, and watching it grow. My eggplants, despite the fact that I got the seedlings from a good friend who was killing them with his brown thumb, turned out just fine.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d8ba515fb102.jpg[/atsimg]

Last, but definitely not least, thank you for your service my friend.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c5309e3258d5.gif[/atsimg]

reply to post by OldCorp

Dear OldCorp,

I knew I liked you. LOL. I am a devout Christian and understand that words spoken (presented to others) are very powerful because they allow us to see our own thoughts in a new way, to be criticized, to undergo scrutiny. The thoughts that are the most dangerous are those that are never shared. A pastor of mine, long ago, once said that he had heard from many adulterers and that they all said that it started with a harmless lunch or dinner where something happened and the adulterer never told spouse because they knew the feelings they had were guilty, not of act; but of intent. Adultery begins wish secrecy, with not speaking, with hiding. Writing frees me from my guilt, it frees me to be true and I am true in person; but, more open in writing and that is why I love it. I do hope my words resonate with you and are on topic. Be well.

Your words do resonate my friend. I think one of the worst things people can do is lie. A lie, not money, is the root of all evil IMO. If everyone were somehow forced to be truthful, I think a lot of the conflict in the world could be avoided. I'm not going to say I've never lied; sometimes, lying can be a matter of self preservation: "Honey, do these jeans make me look like I have a fat ass?" "Of course not my love. Jessica Aba wishes her butt looked as good as yours."

But when it comes down to it, I'd rather be wrong and honest than having to lie to be "right." When we were first married I would keep little things from my wife because I was used to my mother, in whose eyes nothing I did was good enough, and she would always find some reason to belittle me: so I lied, even though I hadn't really done anything to lie about, just to keep her off my back.

After we were married, I quickly learned that I could do just about anything I wanted to do as long as I was honest about it. My wife is truly a remarkable woman; she has never once gotten angry at me for wanting to do my own thing, whenever I wanted to do it. All she has ever asked of me is to be honest with her. After I realized that in fact not all women are like my mother - petty, vengeful, and a huge liar in her own right - life got pretty sweet.

Besides, isn't she (my wife, on the right) beautiful?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f1b704348495.jpg[/atsimg]

I love this woman with all of my heart. I don't know what I did right to deserve her, but I'm grateful to whatever force - fate, Karma, God - that brought us together. No other woman can possibly compare to my wife.

edit on 7/22/2011 by OldCorp because: Added pic of the wifey

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Oh my! Dawn is breaking and I have someplace I need to be.

Keep the thread going guys, and remember: In this thread, MY thread, there is no such thing as an "Off Topic" post. Please feel free to share anything you wish, comment on the posts of others, or ask questions of me or anyone else.

Time to go fish.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/524347ab0306.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdb51
It's Captain Quinn(t) from "Jaws". Your wife and family are lucky people!

Oh Shoot!!! I missed it!
edit on 22-7-2011 by jdb51 because: time jumped ahead!

No sir jdb51... I'M the lucky one.

I just hope some of that luck will rub off on my pole. Wish me luck, cause I'm off to catch an ichthyosaur!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I was out all morning and only got one strike. Sucker spit it out.

Oh well, there's always this afternoon.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
My cousin's husband is a real POS.

She's got a severe circulatory disease and needs to see a doctor - a specialist 100 miles away from her home - on Monday; is he worried about getting her there? Pfft. The only thing he's worried about is how he can best scam cigarette butts off the street, empty out the tobacco, and roll a new one - I kid you not! He hasn't worked in almost two years, and here lately I've been sending what money I can spare (which isn't much) to my cousin each month so she and her kids can eat. Now I have to come up with bus fare to get her to the hospital where the doctor practices.

He can't feed his children, but he can somehow afford to buy dope.

Please God, just this one time...Look the other way while I tune him up.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I just tried to click a link in an email I got from World News Daily. Apparently the entire site is down. Clicking ANY link to WND, or even manually typing in the URL, renders this error message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting ')' in /var/www/html/worldnetdaily.com/fusebox4.runtime.php4.php on line 625

Anyone have a clue as to what that means? Did WND just get hacked by Anonymous?

ETA: NVRMND. It's back up.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Dear OldCorp,

Yes, she is beautiful and it sounds as if the two of you have found the love of your life, what could be better than that. Best wishes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join