It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New state law requires LGBT history in textbooks

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I'm curious at the argument "why are we not teaching English or Math while other countries are?"

You are, America, you are teaching your kids English and Math.

Do many people even know Alan Turing, the man who cracked German codes was homosexual, and had the choice of taking female hormones, or face imprisonment?

He eventually committed suicide, which his family believe was accidental.

It's like everyone against this think homosexuality, because it has the word sex in, is only about sex.

It's about platonic and non-platonic attraction, romance, social interaction, the same interests etc

God, you think the schools will be teaching children 5 and over something they'll be learning when they're 13!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It's true. I am a teacher in California. Isn't our education system just LOVELY?

I just have to add, I am a 2nd grade teacher in one of the most impoverished counties in this state. When teachers of different counties are teaching math, reading, science, social studies, and beyond... I am teaching reading for ESL, math, writing, and reading comprehension. That is about 90% of what I am teaching because we are currently in Program Improvement, year 3 (3/5 and 5 is the worst).

So my question is, where in my time of day when i'm slaving over math, LA, and teaching students of Spanish only households how to read and write in California Academic Language (CALP) am I supposed to fit in lessons about famous sexual orientations? My students can barely read words like "different" and "direction." Above all, I am supposed to SOMEHOW get my students to reach PROFICIENCY in the previously mentioned subjects before 2014 or face the risk of losing my career.

How am I supposed to accomplish all this? On top of everything, I had 32 students in my class last year and 30 the year before. I just don't see how us, as teachers, are supposed to perform miracles when more and more items are being added to our plate! I am not Anti-gay/lesbian. I am Anti-teaching students unnecessary information! Leave it to the parents to decide whether they want their children to know about historic gay figures. I shouldn't have to teach that on top of everything else!

[/rant]

*clears throat* Thank you.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It's great that little Billy and Mary Sue will learn the history of every possible group represented in society...

It's great that little Billy and Mary Sue will learn how to have great sex in elementary school...

It's great that little Billy and Mary Sue will learn that we all came from slime that crawled out of the ancient swamp...

Now, maybe we could concentrate on teaching them reading, writing and arithemetic.

Time to Home School the little ones, IMO

edit on 16-7-2011 by romanmel because: typo

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Search is your friend

CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
**Sigh**

Really America? Really? Since when has a persons sexual preference EVER had a matter in historical events? Let's say that George Washington was gay (for arguments sake only). So would this mean that his sexual preference would be discussed instead of the good he did as a founding father?

Am I the only one here who feels that the American school system has completely gone off it's rocker? If I end up curing cancer or doing something great that will be taught in schools, I'd want the children to learn my struggle and how I did it rather then who I did the naughty with.

See, this is a great example of someone forming an opinion on the subject without actually READING anything about it. Because NOTHING about this is about teaching people 'who someone did the nasty with'. It's about not REMOVING historical figures from a text just because they are gay, as has been done in this country for centuries.

Thsi sin't a history of how to have gay sex. a simple reading of the article would have told you that

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Textbooks now must include information on the role of LGBT Americans, as well as Americans with disabilities

So the state of California considers it a disability? Can I collect from the government for that? I may have to change my sexual status!
Is being Gay any more important than myself being a a loving caring father to my child or children that they need their own disclaimer?
edit on 7/16/2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Everyone knows that the only people who have contributed anything to history have been good, christian straight, white males with happy wives who they never cheated on, and never diddled the slaves, or died of gonorrhea, or anything.

It is OBVIOUS that any attempt to include gay people in a telling of history is an attempt to make children gay. Why else would we talk about them, unless we are implicitly implying we want kids to engage in homosexual acts and bestiality and the ensuing murderous behaviors that will surely follow.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger

Is being Gay any more important than myself being a a loving caring father to my child or children that they need their own disclaimer?

No.

Why would you ever think it was?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

The Media presents it as a big issue along with Congress. Is it headline news today? Then it is. Is their a need for gay parades? I do not need a parade to raise my child as a heterosexual and raise her responsibly?
I do not need a parade to validate myself or my actions.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
Search is your friend

CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

ATS allows a thread in a Breaking New forum and another on the same topic in a regular forum.

Feel free to add your comments in either thread.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger

I do not need a parade to validate myself or my actions.

While your comment really doesnt relate to the topic in any specific way beyond your obvious dislike of homosexuality, I am curious; You raise your child to have one specific sexual preference? Are you afraid she might choose the wrong one if you dont carefully guide her on one directions?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sigismundus

'Sorry, Johnny, but we're not allowed to talk about those kinds of perverts in public school - so let's just leave it at that...'

In Tennessee, that is exactly how I'll have to answer any and all questions concerning GLBT issues in elementary through middle school. Even if a kid comes to me for advice on his/her own feelings, unless I'm at the high school level. Even then, I think answering those questions honestly would cost me my job.

Sometimes I wonder why I am going into teaching. My children are grown now. Maybe, just maybe I can change things from the inside and bring back balance.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join