It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New state law requires LGBT history in textbooks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

New state law requires LGBT history in textbooks

www.sfgate.com

Public schools in California will be required to teach students about the contributions of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans starting Jan. 1

Textbooks now must include information on the role of LGBT Americans, as well as Americans with disabilities

They said the law will help make public schools a safer place for LGBT students as well as give those students, and their classmates, examples of accomplished and important LGBT people.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Welcome to the social engineering state of America
I am against this because of the approach
"today we will discuss this historical gay figure"

If you want to talk about all historical figures fine, but do not mention sexual goddam orientation

Leno said the mandates apply broadly, though, telling reporters it would affect kindergarten through high school curriculum, "and, of course, in an age-appropriate way."

Kindergarden?
Really?

Look at Canada, they barely ever talk about the gay issue
There is no social engineering in Canada and they are fine
There's no massive gay beatings on the streets or anything like that
So why does the U.S. need it if right above the U.S. they don't need it?

I am completely against social engineering and that's exactly what this piece of BS is.

This sets a precendence, and soon other states might follow.

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
While Asian students learn math and science, American children will learn importance of LGBT contributions in the fields of performing arts and modern interpretive dance. That’l fix what ails us for sure!

I wonder how will the lesson of the patron saint of LBGT politician Harvey Milk and his cozy relationship with Jim Jones’ People’s Temple be portrayed?
edit on 15-7-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
when i saw the headline, i immediately thought "frickin california", and thus my prophetic powers were proven.

what happened to judging people on merit instead of sexual orientation, skin color, or disability?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
While Asian students learn math and science, American children will learn importance of LGBT contributions in the fields of performing arts and modern interpretive dance. That’l fix what ails us for sure!

Starred
Excellent point
This is wrong and secondly it couldn't be a worse time to do it either

It's like what would be the worse time to do a stupid thing the Dem thought to himself.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
What exactly does ones sexual orientation have to do with their contributions to society?

Am I supposed to admire someone more for their contributions because they are gay? Look I don't have anything against being gay. Someones sexual preference is not my business. But I don't walk around saying "hey look at what I created. Oh by the way I am heterosexual."

If this is the case, and they are going to teach such things in school, are they going to now have to start tagging others for their sexual orientation? "George Washington... a heterosexual... was the first president of the United States.". Gimme a break.

Our current school system is a joke. They push kids through the system who can barely read or write, and THIS is what California is worried about?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
**Sigh**

Really America? Really? Since when has a persons sexual preference EVER had a matter in historical events? Let's say that George Washington was gay (for arguments sake only). So would this mean that his sexual preference would be discussed instead of the good he did as a founding father?

Am I the only one here who feels that the American school system has completely gone off it's rocker? If I end up curing cancer or doing something great that will be taught in schools, I'd want the children to learn my struggle and how I did it rather then who I did the naughty with.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This is just one more reason to eliminate public school systems all together. It is madness to think that by allowing the state to handle the educational needs of your children that they will not use this opportunity to indoctrinate your children.

Government has no business claiming a monopoly on education. Between private enterprise and charitable organizations the needs of those children who want an education will be met. Which brings up another point the people have foolishly gone into agreement with. Compulsory education.

Since when does the state have lawful authority to tell parents that they must send their children to state approved schools, teaching state approved curriculum?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
Mod Edit

While I don't agree with mandating teaching about sexual orientation... Your post is terrible! What/Who defines "normal"? And why would you openly admit beating on kids who already had it bad enough????? It isn't funny to harm someone-- let alone for something they cannot control.

UGH!!!

edit on 7/15/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
Mod Edit

Well that makes the point. You are exactly the jerk that this was aimed at.

I gather we're all OK with Texas just modifying history to project a far right wing and warped view of the world. Don't want to upset the Teavangelists do we.
edit on 15-7-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/15/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by donatellanator

Hey that's how highschool is or was anyway for me. I don't have any problem with homo's, i'm just making the piont that kids are cruel and gays get bullied because theyre different. The majority of kids are straight thats why they get the "normal" tag. I hope this has helped to clear up my comment.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
What exactly does ones sexual orientation have to do with their contributions to society?

Now that's PROOF that you need to attend these classes!!

Yep, other countries are excelling in math and science, but the kids in CA will know chapter and verse about the latest gay contributor to the world stage.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It's not the public school system that's to blame. It's the continual reinforcement of the meme that anyone who does not conform to social norms is somehow oppressed and therefore is in need of special support and consideration from the government.

Listen, left to their own children will accept such things as they are inclined to. "Teaching" about it isn't for the kids, it's mostly for the moronic adults who feel 'better' about themselves and their own prejudices by projecting the flaw on everyone else.

Again, I blame TV and Dr. Freud's nephew. This is the result of an ongoing campaign to make certain that there is always someone in our society that needs 'protection' from everyone else. Otherwise, how could the government impose its agenda on the school curriculum?

Get 'em while they're young.....

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
be careful supporting this.

it could be a plot to "out" many famous people.

i would wonder just WHO will object in court to keep their "good" names out of this picture !

this could be used against certain people at the expense of children, all in the name of "better education" ?

and of course, i wonder just WHO gets PAID extra for all this ?

sounds like another mad scientist endeavor.

will shall see WHO screams "privacy" on this one !
!

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
It's just been added to the social sciences module, it's not like it's an entire subject dedicated to LGBT history. I thought the whole point of social sciences was to study subjects such as this, so I don't see the problem.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

While Asian students learn math and science, American children will learn importance of LGBT contributions in the fields of performing arts and modern interpretive dance.
You left out another field.....

(women's) Fast-pitch softball.

edit on 15-7-2011 by butcherguy because: made more gender specific.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It's not the public school system that's to blame. It's the continual reinforcement of the meme that anyone who does not conform to social norms is somehow oppressed and therefore is in need of special support and consideration from the government.

Public schools is the best and surest way to get cultural memes planted. The "special support and consideration from the government" you speak of is also known as "civil rights". Civil rights has become the sacred cow it has in America because of public schools. Civil rights are legal rights granted by government.

Public school students are not taught about their unalienable rights - rights acknowledged by both their own state and federal Constitutions - but are instead taught about civil rights. The disturbing 14th Amendment is lauded as a thing of beauty while no one, not even graduate students at a university even know what the Ninth Amendment say's let alone its profound meaning.

The fact of the matter is that all state constitutions, and the federal Constitution, make progressive social engineering by government incredibly difficult. However, what makes it difficult is an informed public. As long as the public knows their rights, what rights are, and know the law, then they will use the courts en masse to keep government in check. As long as the public doesn't understand this, government will continue its steady march towards aggregation of power under the guise of social engineering.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It seems the PTB don't think american kids' need
a real education.
I think it would have been a better idea to offer
a gay/lesbian rights,contributions...as a selective
course for high school kids',not grade school.
I am against this issue being forced upon children.
It makes me wonder if the school years have degraded
to being nothing more than a daytime soap opera.

To Empty Skies...SO
edit on 15-7-2011 by mamabeth because: added

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Why not? Because you don't like it? We teach black history, State history, womens sufferage movement...

Why do you want to leave out Gay history given that it has been such a civil rights issue?

Honestly.... you sound despicable

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join